BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ultimate Kylie package, RESULTS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Dannyboy
post 17th May 2019, 05:45 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

Number 57 - A lifetime to repair - 247 Points

Cover - 156 out of a possible 500
Song - 58 out of a possible 500
Video - 33 out of a possible 500

Personal Opinion

Ok, I get why you guys didn't vote for the video but the single cover and especially the song deserved waaaaaay more points and deserved to be a lot higher in this countdown,

What are your opinions ? too high ? too low ? lets discuss
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 18th May 2019, 01:28 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

I like the song, not keen on the x factor performance of it and it would be my least fave of the singles from Golden.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 19th May 2019, 11:51 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Number 56 - The Locomotion - 316 Points

Video - 129 out of a possible 500
Song - 115 out of a possible 500
Cover - 72 out of a possible 500

Personal Opinion

I was never really a fan of this back in the day, I also think out of all of the "Kylie" album release its also aged the worst, then again it was dated for me back in 1988 laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 19th May 2019, 11:53 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I love the locomotion but knew it would perform bad here as it never does great.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st May 2019, 04:05 AM
Post #45
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Here's my review for 'Kylie Christmas', I'm only doing the original release, not doing the 'Snow Queen' edition as that's 22 songs long and a bit of a slog to get through. Now I'm not a fan of X-Mas albums in the least and when I heard that Kylie was doing one, I was sceptical and after the disaster of 'KMO', things couldn't get worse could they...

The results were not bad actually, while some of the covers are questionable at best, the original material was kinda great and in my opinion if this album was full of original X-Mas songs with just a handful of covers, then this would have been a whole lot better and in hindsight, this could have been a lot worse.

It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year
Kicking off the album with something very familiar, this has to be one of the most well known Christmas songs out there and has been covered multiple times, and Kylie's version well its fine enough, and doesn't really add anything new to it. Inoffensive enough and does have that X-Massy feel to it.

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Another well known and covered to death X-Mas song that adds vocals from long dead Hollywood icon Frank Sinatra, feeling very phoned in and even Kylie's joyful vocals can lift this above mediocrity.

Winter Wonderland
Short and sweet with a fanfare of trumpets and Kylie brings sexiness to this latest recording of the track in a very similar vein of her version of 'Santa Baby'. Yet another safe and predictable choice for an X-Mas album, I think everybody has sung this song at some point.

Christmas Wrapping
One of the few X-Mas songs I can tolerate, the original 'Waitresses' version is fun and bouncy. However this version which features Iggy Pop loses all of the charm of its original with a very karaoke sound and such a disconnect between the two artists (were they even in the same country) when this was recorded, even Kylie's fun rapping can't save this mess.

Only You
The lead single and yet another unlikely collaboration, this time with comedian James Corden and its not actually that bad, replacing the Electronic sound of the original Yazoo version and replacing it with a simple piano sound and both Kylie and James deliver some nice tender vocals. On the whole the song is a little bland and I would NOT have chosen this as the lead, as there are some far better choices as we go down on the track list.

I'm Gonna Be Warm This Winter
The brisk tempo and delving into the 60's Rock N' Roll sound of the original Connie Francis version, this really proves a good fit for Kylie and wins points for its relative obscurity and while it doesn't stray too far away from the original, this is definitely one of the better tracks on this album and Kylie certainly pays homage to her contemporary with top class honours.

Every Day's Like Christmas
Finally we come to the first original song on here, and definitely stands as the album's highlight, its epic in style and a very gentle laid back groove. This is classy X-Mas magic done right and even got a proper music video unlike the lead, and speaking of that, why wasn't this promoted as the lead single, instead of getting lost in the shuffle. Beautiful and uplifting this has all the makings of a future Christmas classic, hope that one day this will get the attention it truly deserves.

Let It Snow
Back to the standard covers that featured on the first couple of tracks, kinda boring and very predictable, but on the plus side at least its short.

White December
Another original track and again this is pretty great, with a great build up to the chorus, with seasonal drumming and that essential saxophone sprinkled throughout, that gives this track a real joyful X-Mas feel to it.

2000 Miles
Yes this may be yet another cover, but I would probably rank this as one of the better ones with some nice strings and piano, along with Kylie's angelic vocal all over the top of it. Very tender and though provoking and a decent tribute to a modern classic.

Santa Baby
Kylie's first X-Mas song, recorded way back in 2000 as a b-side to 'Please Stay', which has steadily climbed throughout the years, thanks to downloads and has now become a firm X-Mas classic, and not hard to see why as Kylie wrings all of her sexiness, sass and an overall fun into this, and it suits her to a T. This is probably viewed as the real lead single from this album.

Christmas Isn't Christmas Till You Get Here
The 3rd original song on here for this sparkly little number with some amazing vocal performance's by Kylie herself, and if anyone ever doubts her talents, then check this little gem out and is it just me or does this have a little Motown feel to it.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Closing the standard edition is this sweet little number with Kylie yet again giving a superb vocal performance over this well known Judy Garland classic. Not one of the best tracks on here though, but definitely not one of the worst either.

Oh Santa
Original track #4 and not quite as strong as the other 3, but very nice and quite catchy, which sees Kylie oozing sexiness and worked with the brass section of the orchestra to give it that extra kick.

100 Degrees
The long awaited duet with little sis Dannii and it certainly doesn't disappoint, with this Disco infused X-Mas anthem that has a quiet build up (harking back to Donna Summer) and then just lets rip into something wonderful that's full of festive thrills and chills. A definite standout that should have been included on the main edition in place of anyone of the standard covers.

Cried Out Christmas
Officially ending this collection with an original sultry X-Mas number with electric guitar and tambourine playing throughout. Another good moment on here and like I said the original numbers really do outshine the covers.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 21st May 2019, 05:33 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(SamJudd @ May 21 2019, 05:05 AM) *
Here's my review for 'Kylie Christmas', I'm only doing the original release, not doing the 'Snow Queen' edition as that's 22 songs long and a bit of a slog to get through. Now I'm not a fan of X-Mas albums in the least and when I heard that Kylie was doing one, I was sceptical and after the disaster of 'KMO', things couldn't get worse could they...

The results were not bad actually, while some of the covers are questionable at best, the original material was kinda great and in my opinion if this album was full of original X-Mas songs with just a handful of covers, then this would have been a whole lot better and in hindsight, this could have been a lot worse.
It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year
Kicking off the album with something very familiar, this has to be one of the most well known Christmas songs out there and has been covered multiple times, and Kylie's version well its fine enough, and doesn't really add anything new to it. Inoffensive enough and does have that X-Massy feel to it.

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Another well known and covered to death X-Mas song that adds vocals from long dead Hollywood icon Frank Sinatra, feeling very phoned in and even Kylie's joyful vocals can lift this above mediocrity.

Winter Wonderland
Short and sweet with a fanfare of trumpets and Kylie brings sexiness to this latest recording of the track in a very similar vein of her version of 'Santa Baby'. Yet another safe and predictable choice for an X-Mas album, I think everybody has sung this song at some point.

Christmas Wrapping
One of the few X-Mas songs I can tolerate, the original 'Waitresses' version is fun and bouncy. However this version which features Iggy Pop loses all of the charm of its original with a very karaoke sound and such a disconnect between the two artists (were they even in the same country) when this was recorded, even Kylie's fun rapping can't save this mess.

Only You
The lead single and yet another unlikely collaboration, this time with comedian James Corden and its not actually that bad, replacing the Electronic sound of the original Yazoo version and replacing it with a simple piano sound and both Kylie and James deliver some nice tender vocals. On the whole the song is a little bland and I would NOT have chosen this as the lead, as there are some far better choices as we go down on the track list.

I'm Gonna Be Warm This Winter
The brisk tempo and delving into the 60's Rock N' Roll sound of the original Connie Francis version, this really proves a good fit for Kylie and wins points for its relative obscurity and while it doesn't stray too far away from the original, this is definitely one of the better tracks on this album and Kylie certainly pays homage to her contemporary with top class honours.

Every Day's Like Christmas
Finally we come to the first original song on here, and definitely stands as the album's highlight, its epic in style and a very gentle laid back groove. This is classy X-Mas magic done right and even got a proper music video unlike the lead, and speaking of that, why wasn't this promoted as the lead single, instead of getting lost in the shuffle. Beautiful and uplifting this has all the makings of a future Christmas classic, hope that one day this will get the attention it truly deserves.

Let It Snow
Back to the standard covers that featured on the first couple of tracks, kinda boring and very predictable, but on the plus side at least its short.

White December
Another original track and again this is pretty great, with a great build up to the chorus, with seasonal drumming and that essential saxophone sprinkled throughout, that gives this track a real joyful X-Mas feel to it.

2000 Miles
Yes this may be yet another cover, but I would probably rank this as one of the better ones with some nice strings and piano, along with Kylie's angelic vocal all over the top of it. Very tender and though provoking and a decent tribute to a modern classic.

Santa Baby
Kylie's first X-Mas song, recorded way back in 2000 as a b-side to 'Please Stay', which has steadily climbed throughout the years, thanks to downloads and has now become a firm X-Mas classic, and not hard to see why as Kylie wrings all of her sexiness, sass and an overall fun into this, and it suits her to a T. This is probably viewed as the real lead single from this album.

Christmas Isn't Christmas Till You Get Here
The 3rd original song on here for this sparkly little number with some amazing vocal performance's by Kylie herself, and if anyone ever doubts her talents, then check this little gem out and is it just me or does this have a little Motown feel to it.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Closing the standard edition is this sweet little number with Kylie yet again giving a superb vocal performance over this well known Judy Garland classic. Not one of the best tracks on here though, but definitely not one of the worst either.

Oh Santa
Original track #4 and not quite as strong as the other 3, but very nice and quite catchy, which sees Kylie oozing sexiness and worked with the brass section of the orchestra to give it that extra kick.

100 Degrees
The long awaited duet with little sis Dannii and it certainly doesn't disappoint, with this Disco infused X-Mas anthem that has a quiet build up (harking back to Donna Summer) and then just lets rip into something wonderful that's full of festive thrills and chills. A definite standout that should have been included on the main edition in place of anyone of the standard covers.

Cried Out Christmas
Officially ending this collection with an original sultry X-Mas number with electric guitar and tambourine playing throughout. Another good moment on here and like I said the original numbers really do outshine the covers.

We certainly have different views on this album as I love it and think the Dannii duet is the worst thing on the album, waited all this time for this terrible track and then too make it worse we got two versions 🤢

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 21st May 2019, 12:02 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

The dannii and kylie duet could have so much more and better,I dont hate the song or love it but I was expecting something far greater.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 21st May 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

I agree the duet could have become something much more memorable and special.
That said, 100 Degrees should always been on the original album instead of the re-release.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 21st May 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Number 55 - Put your hands up - 331 Points

Song - 173 out of a possible 500
Cover - 129 out of a possible 500
Video - 29 out of a possible 500

Personal Opinion

The only saving grace for this is the remixed version that was released but this should not have been a single in the first please, didn't like it on the album, the tour or as a "single" choice.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 21st May 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Put Your Hands Up is a solid upbeat feel good song from a great album.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 22nd May 2019, 12:05 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Big fan of this and always liked it.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 23rd May 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Number 54 - If you were with me now - 334 Points

Video - 141 out of a possible 500
Song - 139 out of a possible 500
Cover - 54 out of a possible 500

Personal Opinion

Soooooooooooooo underrated and deserves to be sooooooo much higher in this countdown. Yeah the cover is rubbish but the song is so good and she look amazing in the video.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 23rd May 2019, 06:45 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Without doubt, If You Were With Me Now is very underrated i agree.
It is one of her most forgotten or possibly ignored songs which is unjust.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 24th May 2019, 12:52 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I have always liked the song and agree its hugely underrated by both kylie and the fans.

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post 24th May 2019, 04:05 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822

It has a distinct 1980s romantic style to it, definitely underrated.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 24th May 2019, 11:22 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Ya def had that vibe to it and it was one of the strongest performing singles from let's get to it.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 24th May 2019, 03:05 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

After the disappointing chart run and peak of Word Is Out it is surprising Kylie doesn't acknowledge the song more as it returned Kylie to the Top 5.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 24th May 2019, 08:01 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Number 12 - Body Language (Album) - 923 Points

Song Selection - 519 out of a possible 1,200
Album - 240 out of a possible 1,200
Cover - 164 out of a possible 1,200

Personal Opinion

On paper this had so much going from it, the visuals, the first single, coming after Fever but it just failed in my opinion. This is my least liked Kylie album, I just cant stand the vocals, I find the album hard to listen too, the only song I like on it is "Loving Days" which should have been the 3rd single in my opinion.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 24th May 2019, 10:02 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Album results are in great order so far.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 25th May 2019, 01:06 AM
Post #60
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

I find that 'Body Language' is in roughly the right place on here, and do agree partly with Dannyboy, and upon its release, I found it rather disappointing, especially compared to 'Light Years' & 'Fever' (both of which are her best of her career). While this is very different from both of those and she did take a major risk which sadly didn't fully pay off, at least she tried something different and this does show that she evolves with each album, and there are some great tracks on here (mainly in the first half), its the 2nd half that somewhat lets things down.

Slow
Getting off to an almighty great start with this electro dance number, with some really cool synth sounds and some wonderful deep vocals by Kylie. The song is infectious with its repetitive lyrics and hypnotic rhythm and is definitely very different from any lead single from Kylie so far. Its a shame that the album didn't follow this sophisticated synth sound more, then this could have been another 'Fever' styled success on our hands. But as this stands this has to be one of Kylie's most adventurous offerings of her career.

Still Standing
The new feel of the album continues with some funky guitars and a superb synth beat, with some confident vocals by Kylie, which makes this a definite standout on here, a very well crafted pop song.

Secret (Take You Home)
Another strong sophisticated track with an awesome beat, thanks to the brilliant sample of "I Wonder If I Take You Home" by Lisa, Lisa and the Cult Jam, which works really well with the track, along with Kylie singing in that lower sexy voice it sounds so fantastic. The lyrics are cool too. Simple, but fun, and of course you gotta love Kylie rapping which is always cute and just swell. This should have been the 2nd or 3rd single from this album, a definite potential smash hit.

Promises
A somewhat slight change of pace now with another great slice of polished pop dance. Her vocals are a little too soft, but the electro beat and synth backing track really shine throughout, which makes for yet another very decent feel good track.

Sweet Music
This just oozes style and class, with a fun groove and funky beat, all of which makes for yet another strong standout moment on here.

Red Blooded Woman
The second single from this album, and not something I fully connected with at the time (felt a tad too Americanized), but alas this has grown on me through time and is a really strong single choice with Kylie's sexy vocals layered throughout the track, especially on the fantastic chorus and of course that fantastic music video, which adds more coolness to the track.

Chocolate
This was where the album began to lose me, with the third single which features the most breathiest vocals by Kylie so far, maybe a bit too soft and whispery for my liking. The instrumentation is really very well done, and there are even some samples in the back. Not something I go back to on a regular basis, but I do commend her on trying something totally different.

Obsession
Picking the pace up now with this okay track that's a little cliched, but not bad by any means, somewhat fillerish in my opinion.

I Feel For You
A bit too out there for my liking, this just goes way off the rails and not in a good way, the distorted backing vocals are very off putting, but the bassline is quite good, however the song just doesn't do it for me.

Someday
Another album filler moment, with its darker and underlying tone with some very dreamy vocals which doesn't add much flare to this. Quite bland and probably the most forgettable moment on this album in general.

Loving Days
The funky groove remains, although this time with the backing of a full string orchestra, and Kylie's tender vocals just sweep across the melody and rises continuously till the spine-tingling middle eight when both strings and voice are unleashed. After a couple of not-so great tracks, this is a welcome treat with its epic sounding nature and definitely stands as one of the strongest offerings from this collection.

After Dark
A sultry number to end things now, with some nice seductive vocals and some pretty solid production, and while I wouldn't call this one of the better offerings, its still an okay track and would probably rank somewhere in the middle.

+Quote this post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 04:39 AM