BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Anime, Fall 2023: AoT finale i guess
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
WhoOdyssey
post 10th October 2020, 01:27 AM
Post #321
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

I started Higurashu last week, haven't seen the original so now in not sure what to do laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 10th October 2020, 01:43 AM
Post #322
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Oct 10 2020, 01:27 AM) *
I started Higurashu last week, haven't seen the original so now in not sure what to do laugh.gif

I would say, if you have any interest in seeing the old show (only 2 seasons and a 5-episode epilogue long) or reading the visual novels (excellent and my recommendation but obviously many hours long so not for everyone), go back and watch that now to experience the mystery as it first happened. The old show is still a good show and does the original VN story as much justice as you'd expect an adaptation of an insanely long book to do with two seasons to work with, just the graphics are slightly dated.

If on the other hand, you think it's something you'd never get around to, then continue with the new one. That's totally fine, not everyone has to experience media the same way and the showrunners definitely expected some new people to pick it up. No idea where this is going so it could be very interesting now.

(I have started reading the When They Cry sequel, Umineko, because of this, it's not a direct sequel by any means and has a completely different setting and characters, but there were some hints in the new Higurashi OP that references may be dropped so I'm going to try and get ahead of that)

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 24th February 2021, 10:17 PM
Post #323
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

I just caught up with the ongoing season of Jujutsu Kaisen. It's so good! wub.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 25th February 2021, 10:28 AM
Post #324
Group icon

I have heard great things about Jujutsu Kaisen, reminds me of Demon Slayer in that it'll be this very popular great thing that I will never get around to laugh.gif

Outside of AOT I'm in on the second half of Re:Zero which is giving me all the Emilia content I ever wanted, and Higurashi which, now it's definitely a continuation of the in-universe lore and not just a remake, is giving me everything I ever desired and validating my decision to make it about half of my online identity <3

Stacked season though, I'm noting down Dr Stone, Promised Neverland, Horimiya, Non Non Biyori, Beastars, Cells At Work, Yuru Camp, Wonder Egg Priority (there seems to be a lot of discourse going on about the Egg in particular, seems like it's come from nowhere to potentially be the next Madoka) as sequels or new shows to eventually get around to.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 20th March 2021, 03:27 PM
Post #325
Group icon

just watched all 10 (current) episodes of Wonder Egg Priority in a single day.

very interesting show that focuses on some difficult subjects to tackle (including suicide, gender identity, idol worship), sometimes missing the mark a little but there's a good chemistry between the cast, nice to see some of the issues being acknowledged at all in an anime, and an uncertainty about the whole plot that makes it very enjoyable to watch and easy to binge.

also it does seem it's just one of many shows this season to unfortunately have major production troubles, which is a shame as it looks beautiful.

+Quote this post
olvs
post 25th March 2021, 03:48 PM
Post #326
Group icon
New Entry
User: 126,407

I'm watching Chihayafuru for the first time and it's surprinsingly entertained.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 25th March 2021, 11:47 PM
Post #327
Group icon

I finished Chihayafuru Season 2 the other week. Wonderful, stunning show with a QUEEN* of a main character. Will start Season 3 soon.

*at least, she better be queen by the end

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 31st March 2021, 06:30 PM
Post #328
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Season 3 is SO good for Chihayafuru. The best one so far. Hopefully we'll get a season 4 at some point. If we do it won't be for a few years though to have enough manga chapters to use.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 11th April 2021, 12:27 PM
Post #329
Group icon

end of the first week of the spring season: I'm taking on two series that are looking enjoyable

a) Zombieland Saga second season: good first episode about coming up against musical troubles and fan resistance, to the point where I hope that the idol group of zombies that the show is set around take a Babymetal-esque approach to gaining fans and develop a strong unique identity.

b) Ijiranaide Nagatoro-san: I both love and hate her

very well animated character, though I think to enjoy the series you sorta need to be a masochist, which I will admit to being so sign me up

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 26th April 2021, 05:51 AM
Post #330
Group icon

episode 1

episode 3

episode 5: Senpai has been ejected. Senpai was not the imposter.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 15th June 2021, 07:59 AM
Post #331
Group icon

bumping this to say that Uma Musume ("Horse Girls") may look like a throwaway show about cute horse girls but it is actually one of the greatest sports shows of all time.

horse racing fans (particularly those who've ever looked at Japanese races about two decades ago) should pay attention

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 21st July 2021, 08:41 PM
Post #332
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Been on a bit of a binge recently. Got through the most recent AOT season and it was good. In fact I ended up continuing on via the manga and finishing it!

I'm finally delving into the fate series. Just watch Fate/Stay Night the 2006 anime and it was decent. The follow ups should be better I hope - unlimited blade works and heaven's blessing. Then Fate/Zero. Plus all the spin offs maybe.

I just binged through 86 - it finished airing in June. It was SO good. One of the more enjoyable series I've watch recently. Thankfully the second season comes out this year in the autumn as the ending cliff hanger was so evil!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 8th August 2021, 11:31 AM
Post #333
Group icon

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Jul 21 2021, 08:41 PM) *
Been on a bit of a binge recently. Got through the most recent AOT season and it was good. In fact I ended up continuing on via the manga and finishing it!

I'm finally delving into the fate series. Just watch Fate/Stay Night the 2006 anime and it was decent. The follow ups should be better I hope - unlimited blade works and heaven's blessing. Then Fate/Zero. Plus all the spin offs maybe.

I just binged through 86 - it finished airing in June. It was SO good. One of the more enjoyable series I've watch recently. Thankfully the second season comes out this year in the autumn as the ending cliff hanger was so evil!

I will definitely rewatch Zero soon, it's high past time. And then maybe finally get around to watching the Heaven's Feel moviews which I passed by, I'm wary of getting too into it as it can seem a little endless and I'm currently on a long block from it since finishing Apocrypha in 2017.

Recently finished Vivy: Fluorite's Eye Song, which was very high quality sci-fi, and Rent-A-Girlfriend, which was very low quality but trashy fun about college relationship drama.

Also I was reminded that THIS event now has a trailer, apparently due out in December:

genuinely can't wait, the first female JoJo, and in a prison setting, I'd have read the manga but I'm really bad at doing that, it looks so good!

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 24th August 2021, 01:07 AM
Post #334
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Iz 💀 @ Aug 8 2021, 12:31 PM) *
I will definitely rewatch Zero soon, it's high past time. And then maybe finally get around to watching the Heaven's Feel moviews which I passed by, I'm wary of getting too into it as it can seem a little endless and I'm currently on a long block from it since finishing Apocrypha in 2017.

Recently finished Vivy: Fluorite's Eye Song, which was very high quality sci-fi, and Rent-A-Girlfriend, which was very low quality but trashy fun about college relationship drama.

Also I was reminded that THIS event now has a trailer, apparently due out in December:

genuinely can't wait, the first female JoJo, and in a prison setting, I'd have read the manga but I'm really bad at doing that, it looks so good!

After looking into it, the main story for the fate series is stay night/zero/heaven's blessing. All the others are spin-offs, which from what I've read don't necessarily make sense lore-wise? So I'm sticking to the cannon series.

I've been watching a lot of anime recently. I watched Vivy too and loved it! It wasn't what I was expecting.

I took the plunge and watched Fruit Baskets all 3 seasons. Why did I hold out so long. It was so amazing. sob.gif Made me cry a few times. And laugh, a lot. laugh.gif

I've also watched the 3 seasons of Golden Kamuy. Another I've been avoiding but was so good too. Each season got better and better. I really hope a 4th season is announced soon!

Another series I watched was ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka. It's been on my to watch list for a while and is actually a really interesting series. It's a political/mystery anime and I love the art style, mainly the way the eyes are drawn. It's quite different than the usual art style I so often see. The theme tune for the series was stuck in my head so hard too. laugh.gif It was really nice trying to figure out what's happening, who's on who's side etc. Some surprises thrown in as well.

I also got round to watching Somali and the Forest Spirit. Such a lovely, heartwarming series. wub.gif

I watched Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash too. It's the first film in a three film series. It came out in June. I'm not normally a big gundam fan but the film was really good. Looking forward to the next two films, although their release dates haven't been announced yet.

I'm currently watching So I'm a Spider, So What? It's a fun series so far. Definitely quite a few generic elements, but it's not too intense/easy to watch. Some of the CGI used in the battles isn't the best, but it's OK. I'm about 1/3rd of the way through and it looks like things will get quite interesting in the next few epsiodes!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 24th August 2021, 03:11 AM
Post #335
Group icon

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Aug 24 2021, 01:07 AM) *
After looking into it, the main story for the fate series is stay night/zero/heaven's blessing. All the others are spin-offs, which from what I've read don't necessarily make sense lore-wise? So I'm sticking to the cannon series.

Aye, the Stay Night timeline is based off of the visual novel, which has 3 routes (intended to be read in this order) that approach the same story in slightly different ways, Fate (the old 2006 series which wasn't the best adaptation and mixed in elements from the other routes as they didn't expect to be making any more, leaving poor Saber, whose focus route it is, without a solid anime adaptation), Unlimited Blade Works, which is the modern stay night TV series and focuses on Rin/Archer, and then Heaven's Feel, which has been anime adapted into movies and focuses on Sakura - although I'm yet to get around to the movies because of swearing off of Fate. Maybe one day I'll read the VN though it's quite hard to access outside of Japan, perhaps one for when I get fluent.

Zero just happens to be a very good prequel series/light novel that is directly attached to the main story enough that people consider it a canon part of it.

I will say I have heard decent things about the recent Fate Babylonia anime as well as the spinoff anime that focuses on an adult Waver (from Zero), and the stuff that's based off of Grand Order, the mobile gacha game seems at least internally consistent. It's suffered a bit from just allowing anyone to write stuff in the Fate setting and you do get all these copycats and anime focusing on minutiae all around the same basic concept and honestly exploring every part of a universe like that just to pump out another battle royale anime is overusing the concept a bit. And makes it confusing to anyone looking to try (to which I say, in case anyone else is reading this, just watch either UBW or Zero first and don't worry about which because they spoil each other and are both good regardless - though perhaps Zero second as it's a prequel and really benefits from the 'dread of inevitability' that you get when watching it - then watch the other and sticking to that canon is probably okay for the majority of people).

I'm working my way through the Evangelion Rebuilds right now so that I can catch up on 3.0+1.0 before I'm spoiled. Great, very symbolic movies.

Aside from Higurashi Sotsu that's about all I'm watching right now though, need to pick up some new ones. Heard very good things about Fruits Basket for example.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 27th August 2021, 06:54 PM
Post #336
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Iz �� @ Aug 24 2021, 04:11 AM) *
I'm working my way through the Evangelion Rebuilds right now so that I can catch up on 3.0+1.0 before I'm spoiled. Great, very symbolic movies.

Aside from Higurashi Sotsu that's about all I'm watching right now though, need to pick up some new ones. Heard very good things about Fruits Basket for example.

I need to work my way through the Evangelion series. I did get halfway through neon a couple months ago and was enjoying it but got distracted by life.

Fruits Basket is a total yes, do it! I had been sitting on whether I wanted to or not for a while and took the plunge after seeing the final season scored over 9 on my anime list. One thing I loved about the series was that it was complete - you won't have to wait for sequels or anything once you've finished/no cliffhangers.

Speaking of finished series, I've been meaning to try to get into Gintama after seeing the final chapters were finally adapted into a movie earlier this year. I've always picked it up for a few episodes before dropping it.

This post has been edited by Envoirment: 27th August 2021, 06:56 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 1st December 2021, 09:02 AM
Post #337
Group icon

gonna start my first anime for a little while later, as below:

hope it smashes the Netflix charts (as much as the sixth part of a long-running series can but it seems to be well watched despite that), I'm so hyped to see Jolene in action; the OP released a few days ago was fricking awesome

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 1st December 2021, 08:30 PM
Post #338
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Haven’t watched it yet, but absolutely ecstatic that the ending theme is “Distant Dreamer” by Duffy, co-written by Bernard Butler. Will likely binge over the next week.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 24th April 2022, 06:41 AM
Post #339
Group icon

two pointers:

1) Kaguya-Sama is back again, as fantastic as ever

2) Spy X Family is an absolutely outstanding story, best new anime IP in years from its first episodes - it's obvious from the title but it's a spy-oriented thriller about a family in a fictional surveillance state which hits all the absurd comedic buttons in precisely the right way.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 31st July 2022, 02:22 AM
Post #340
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Can't wait to get my teeth into qutie a few series this year. Most notably Spy Family!

I've also noticed that Made In Abyss finally has a second season currently airing! ohmy.gif Cannot wait to watch that when it's complete.

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

3 user(s) reading this thread
+ 3 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 10:02 AM