BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spitting Image
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Mark.
post Sep 28 2019, 11:58 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 6,928

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/20...utin-zuckerberg

Look who's back: Spitting Image returns for our chaotic times

Twenty-three years after it last aired, the puppet satire takes on Trump, Putin and Zuckerberg
Esther Addley
Sat 28 Sep 2019 00.00 BSTLast modified on Sat 28 Sep 2019 07.019

‘I’ve heard other satirists say Trump is un-satirisable,’ says Spitting Image’s co-creator Roger Law. Photograph: Avalon/Mark Harrison

There was a time during its 1980s heyday when Spitting Image was watched by 15 million people each week, when it seemed as central to British political life as Margaret Thatcher’s handbag. But by the time the programme was cancelled after more than a decade, its audiences had slumped, its brand of caustic puppetry deemed dated and out of step with the national mood.

There is nothing like a global political crisis, however, to prod a satirist out of semi-retirement. Twenty-three years after it was last broadcast, Roger Law, one of the co-creators of the groundbreaking comedy, has confirmed that Spitting Image is set to return to television screens – featuring an S&M-clad Vladimir Putin, Meghan Markle wearing a glittery “princess” T-shirt and a puppet of Donald Trump whose tweets are composed by his anus.

A pilot for a new incarnation of Spitting Image has already been filmed, Law confirmed to the Guardian, and its producers are in advanced discussions with US-based networks to bring this very British brand of satire to the wider world.

After years of hopes, hints and denials, he wanted to resurrect the programme back as a “public service satire” in response to the state of the political culture, he told the Guardian, making clear he has lost none of his antiestablishment fire. “It’s pretty chaotic out there. As far as I’m concerned, it’s better than shouting at the television set, isn’t it? So I thought, let’s give it a go.”

Unlike in the 80s, however, when even obscure members of Thatcher’s cabinet were honoured with their own puppets, Law said he had not been tempted to turn his attentions to British politics’s lower league players this time around.

“Dominic Raab? You’ve got to be kidding. If you’re going to go after the b*st*rds, you may as well go after the biggest b*st*rds there are, hence America. It’s an awful lot of trouble to go to, and you want it to be effective.”

Mocking Trump, he conceded, was a challenge. “I’ve heard other satirists say that he’s un-satirisable because he’s a satire in himself. Well, with puppets you can go much, much further, because actors won’t do that for you. And by Christ, we are going to give it a go.” Their puppet Trump, he said, was “an absolute monster”.

Law, now 78, was creating plasticine caricatures with Peter Fluck for a Sunday newspaper when they were invited to devise a satirical puppet-based programme, which would go on to be steered by the legendary comedy producer John Lloyd. It debuted on ITV in 1984, just as Thatcher was hitting her stride after a second general election victory, and quickly became established as an essential part of the political and cultural conversation.

Scripts were hastily written, and even new puppets made, with only days’ notice to ensure each week’s episode was as topical as possible. And though some of Spitting Image’s comedy has inevitably dated, in many cases – from its mannish, domineering Thatcher to its doddery Ronald Reagan, prodding his nuclear button, to its monotone John Major, painted entirely grey – its puppets’ characteristics came to define their real-life counterparts in the public mind.

Since the programme’s cancellation in 1996, Law has been working as a fine artist. Has he missed it? “I can’t say I have. It’s a pig of a show to do. But I think the current situation warrants the effort.”

The British production company Avalon, which also makes Last Week Tonight with John Oliver for HBO and was behind the hugely successful Catastrophe, hopes to write the new series in the US and film it in Britain. Its show-runner, Jeff Westbrook, a former writer on The Simpsons and Futurama, said the programme was ripe for a return since “today’s world does seem to have an especially large number of evil goofballs who deserve taking down”.

As for exporting Spitting Image to a global audience, he said: “It’s true that Britain has a special tradition of caricature and satire, but I think that audiences around the world are sophisticated enough to enjoy it. If not, we can also put in some puppets bonking heads with a coconut sound.”

Law insisted puppetry still has an important place in the age of CGI. “Puppetry brings a sort of violence and reality, and energy to the screen. You must have been to the cinema to see these crash bang wallop films, and they bore you. [But] there’s nothing like a puppet punching a puppet.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 28 2019, 02:06 PM
Post #2
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Spitting Image was one of the most scathing and on-the-knuckle satirical shows ever made in the UK (even more surprising that it was made by ITV). Every so many years there's a new show that is supposedly going to be "the new Spitting Image" that has fallen flat on its face (Headcases, Newzoids), so it was only a matter of time before the original came back. I doubt it'll be as cruel as the original, but we will see how it turns out.

Just found a clip of the show from the early 90s that is incredibly prescient (John Major aside):

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 28 2019, 02:25 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

And, of course, there was the number one single...

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Sep 30 2019, 12:13 PM
Post #4
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

These actually had an impact on the publics perception of politicans. If they saw Thatcher on a Sunday evening bashing her cabinet with a handbag they would believe she was a strong leader.

My fav part was Thatcher in a restaurant taking an order for herself and the cabinet:

Waiter: So Mam, what can I get for you?

Thatcher: The Steak please, rare.

Waiter: And what about the vegetables?

Thatcher: They'll have the same....

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 30 2019, 02:16 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Sep 30 2019, 01:13 PM) *
These actually had an impact on the publics perception of politicans. If they saw Thatcher on a Sunday evening bashing her cabinet with a handbag they would believe she was a strong leader.

My fav part was Thatcher in a restaurant taking an order for herself and the cabinet:

Waiter: So Mam, what can I get for you?

Thatcher: The Steak please, rare.

Waiter: And what about the vegetables?

Thatcher: They'll have the same....

That's one of the most-remembered sketches, but it wasn't original. I had seen the same joke somewhere before several months before it appeared on Spitting Image.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Sep 30 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #6
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

I would say it had the desired effect laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 11 2020, 12:15 PM
Post #7
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

Launches on BritBox on October 3rd, and they've released some images of some of the puppets -

Michael Gove is suitably grotesque (note the cocaine around the nose, which looks like a willy). Their Dominic Raab looks somewhat flattering to some extent. They've released the list of puppets, some of which are certain to cause a lot of controversy from all sides. I don't think it'll be as cruel as the original, but I think it will be as close to the knuckle as satire can go in 2020.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 11 2020, 12:23 PM
Post #8
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

The writing team also looks pretty great, including the co-creator of Futurama, plus people who've written for The Simpsons and people like Richard Herring, Al Murray & Matt Forde. Some of the voice talent are US-based, which means that it's likely to be trying to appeal to the US market as well as the British one. Hopefully this means that the revival is in safe hands.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Sep 11 2020, 12:23 PM
Post #9
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

100+ puppets have been made so far.

They include: Adele, Boris Baby, Baby Yoda, Barack Obama, Chrissy Teigen, Covid-19 (YES REALLY), Harry Styles, Greta Thunberg, James Corden, Kanye West, Ivanka Trump, Jacinda Arden, Matt Hancock, Michelle Obama, Prince Andrew and RuPaul.

Can't wait for Harry Styles... poor JosephStyles heehee.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Sep 11 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #10
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I really wanna watch this, I do wish it wasn't on Britbox though, I don't care enough to get a subscription to that.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Sep 11 2020, 06:32 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Sep 11 2020, 01:39 PM) *
I really wanna watch this, I do wish it wasn't on Britbox though, I don't care enough to get a subscription to that.

Get a month's free trial then cancel. I may do that! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 22 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #12
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

I spat out my tea laughing at this one -

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Sep 23 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #13
A dead mouse (from my cat)
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771

Full trailer out now:

I laughed quite a bit at the Billie Eilish part laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mark.
post Sep 24 2020, 05:24 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 6,928

Looks really good

This post has been edited by Mark.: Sep 24 2020, 05:25 PM

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Oct 3 2020, 08:20 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Anyone know how I can watch it when I don't subscribe to Britbox? Won't let me just sign up for a month. Not on YT. They keep taking it down.

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Oct 3 2020, 08:23 PM
Post #16
A dead mouse (from my cat)
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771

Nowhere legally other than Britbox, though there are highlights on their official YouTube channel or you can use some dodgy websites lol

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Oct 3 2020, 11:15 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

They DRAGGED the UK and US government and I loved every second laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Oct 4 2020, 01:44 AM
Post #18
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

Where do you download brithox from and how much is it?

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Oct 4 2020, 08:13 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Oct 4 2020, 02:44 AM) *
Where do you download brithox from and how much is it?

Their website and it's about £7.99 a month.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Oct 4 2020, 08:13 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Love the clip on YT with Gove in Mistress Patel's boudoir. PMSL.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:10 AM