BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> United Kingdom · Eurovision Song Contest 2024, Olly Alexander - Dizzy
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
uhsting
post 1st August 2023, 12:33 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

United Kingdom 2024
Olly Alexander

Dizzy

its joever
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 1st August 2023, 01:10 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

They’ve TaPped out ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 1st August 2023, 02:51 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Any idea what the replacement will be?

It better not be us going back to the public choosing from a bunch of average/below average songs again…..

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 1st August 2023, 08:18 PM
Post #4
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

This is definitely not news I wanted sad.gif Already makes me concerned about who/what we'll end up with as an entry next year.

Not totally surprising though if the rumour is true that we ended up with Mae more because "she was available" than anything else. I hope the BBC manage to get another label/management company on board who are passionate and able to look back at Sam's success more than Mae's result.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 1st August 2023, 08:21 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Not surprised at all. They had Ellie and Calvin and chose ... Mae Muller, the worst of the lot, as she can't sing live rotf.gif Massively bad judgement. Of course the BBC would say no to them after the embarrassment of THAT entry and performqnce when rhe BBC WAS HOSTING, instead of ending the competition with MIRACLE, which was also so thematically ON POINT for a UK hosted competition, plus sayin Ukraine will get rhrough the war and it'll be like a miracle, after most thought Russia would win in days!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 1st August 2023, 08:22 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(J❄️hq @ Aug 1 2023, 09:18 PM) *
This is definitely not news I wanted sad.gif Already makes me concerned about who/what we'll end up with as an entry next year.

Not totally surprising though if the rumour is true that we ended up with Mae more because "she was available" than anything else. I hope the BBC manage to get another label/management company on board who are passionate and able to look back at Sam's success more than Mae's result.

Wait, qhat?? laugh.gif Where'd you hear that rumour?!

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 1st August 2023, 08:26 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I feel it COMING!

That being said Mae Muller's song was a huge chart success so it's not a complete failure after all. TaP will be a hard act to follow and I hope the next label will share the same passion, if BBC decides to collab with one again.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 1st August 2023, 08:26 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

oof

there is of course potential for another label to step in with a similar remit but until we hear anything like that everyone's going to be panic stations imagining the x factor finalists national final from hell

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 1st August 2023, 10:16 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Ugh how annoying that it looks to be back to what it was. Feared this would happen though.

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post 2nd August 2023, 07:58 AM
Post #10
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

QUOTE(uhsting @ Aug 1 2023, 09:26 PM) *
That being said Mae Muller's song was a huge chart success so it's not a complete failure after all. TaP will be a hard act to follow and I hope the next label will share the same passion, if BBC decides to collab with one again.

A huge chart success? It was outpeaked by two other Eurovision songs this year (one is still charting on ACR). It did OK, but considering radio support (and streaming friendly sound), I don't think we can call it a huge chart success... (only relative to our other recent Eurovision entries)

This is a disappointing call... Mae may have been a misfire (the performance and staging were most of the issue...), but that doesn't mean all should be lost 😔

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 2nd August 2023, 09:50 AM
Post #11
Group icon
I feel it COMING!

I mean it had the highest peak since 2007 aside from Space Man and a top 10 with a chart run since release week, so quite safe to say a huge success no? I won't consider the song a big misfire. It's just the live that fell apart unforch sad.gif

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 2nd August 2023, 10:09 AM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

I do love Mae and not to rehash all of this, but to see Rina actually did want to do it and it wasn’t just straight up trolling is a bit disappointing, can’t lie sad.gif

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 2nd August 2023, 10:12 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

I think it’s really important to recognise the positives and build on them as well as assess what wasn’t right.

It was a good current pop song - everyone in the arena was singing along and it was a hit in the Euroclub etc. You’d hear it out and about in shops even. Top 10 in the chart is great even if a couple of other countries’ songs did better.

It was not a good overall competition package, but let’s remember all the years when every aspect has been embarrassing; when not even the UK could really get behind its own song.

The other point is that even when you have the right approach you won’t do well every year. And also that being an auto qualifier is a double edged sword as it makes you much more likely to end up at the bottom of the final table.

There are elements that weren’t right that need to be addressed in future but we shouldn’t just think we’re back to square 1.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 2nd August 2023, 01:22 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

QUOTE(RobBot @ Aug 2 2023, 11:09 AM) *

I do love Mae and not to rehash all of this, but to see Rina actually did want to do it and it wasn’t just straight up trolling is a bit disappointing, can’t lie sad.gif

Aw this is such a shame - I saw a clip of the podcast and it sounds like Rina agreed to it then never heard back, which makes me wonder if she genuinely thought she had the gig when she kept teasing it sad.gif hope that hasn't put her off trying again because I'd love to see her there next year.

Slightly worrying that TAP are pulling out but hopefully the BBC have taken notes and and 'get' Eurovision a bit more now, regardless of success Mae was a big fan fave and definitely the sort of personality we need to change the way the UK thinks about this. Anything but a national final pls

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 2nd August 2023, 01:26 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

That is devastating!

Hope that this year is not a shit show if were not with TAP anymore

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 2nd August 2023, 01:43 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

She kept teasing it, as she was annoyed that she didn't get it. That's why she released her Eurovision 3 mins single edit the same week Mae was announced.

They had three choices - well, four with Birdy - Calvin and Ellie, Mae or Rina, and they went with Mae. Unbelievably bad judgement. Any of the other three would have done better, esp with thr last slot. Ellie woulda won, Rina woulda come top 3.

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 2nd August 2023, 01:51 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I feel it COMING!

Shame she was rejected in this way sad.gif I do fear for the UK now.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 2nd August 2023, 01:52 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Although ... maybe it is for the best, as Rina wouldn't have won vs Loreen and that drunken nursery rhyme that nobody listened to after that one drunken night - check its abysmal streams. Maybe she can win this year instead... Gping UK - Sweden - UK isn't bad at all. Of course, overlooking an OBVIOUS WINNER in Calvin and Elvie is inexcusable as always.

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 2nd August 2023, 02:30 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

From the interview of hers, it looks more like she and her team took too long to decide, and she's wound up grateful because she was so busy with John Wick.

So, I don't think it'd necessarily put her off for future. I just wonder if her star has grown a little since the start of the year, what with the Glastonbury stuff, so this year might have been the only feasible year or nothing.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 2nd August 2023, 02:46 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Hopefully they will be CLAMOURING for her after Glastonbury and will ask again.

I still think it's worse that they chose Mae over Calvin and Ellie though at the last minute!!!

+Quote this post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:26 PM