BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thrown away winners/huge smashes
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
gooddelta
post Feb 12 2020, 12:01 PM
Post #1
Hello?
Group: Members
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

I'm sure we all have hundreds of songs we'd wished had progressed from their national finals to Eurovision, but - and especially in light of what went down at Sanremo this year - are there any you feel would have potentially won or challenged for the top three for the countries in question if they'd gone all the way?

I'll start with a few:

Wiktoria - As I Lay Me Down (Sweden 2017)

Wiktoria definitely could have improved this vocally with a couple of months to warm up between Melodifestivalen and Eurovision, and that's really all it needed to fly, and I guess was one of the main reasons the international juries marked it down. Still such a shame for Sweden/the international juries to throw away what was the pre-final favourite in 6th place that year. Easily my favourite Eurovision related song since Euphoria, and I reckon it could have lifted Sweden a little higher than Robin managed if she nailed it vocally.

City Chix - All About You (UK 2006)

Much as I love Daz and Teenage Life, I guess that song and slightly creepy looking performance were never going to go down well at Eurovision, and I can only imagine what would have happened if it had happened in this day and age instead. City Chix turned up to the UK selection with a Veronicas/Kelly Clarkson-lite style pop-rock banger which I really think would have been a pretty easy top ten for the UK that year.

Salem Al Fakir - Keep On Walking (Sweden 2010)

I feel like this was pretty ahead of its time in Eurovision terms. In a world where respectable and authentic, well produced and well sung ballads do extremely well and often win, this certainly could have do so for Salem. In 2010 I don't think it would have got past Lena, but I do think it would have had a very solid shot at the top three and definitely wouldn't have handed them their first DNQ. Timoteij's Kom could have also been a top five challenger for them that year.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Feb 12 2020, 12:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
p a v
post Feb 12 2020, 12:05 PM
Post #2
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

I've got 5 letter for u here

M A R U V

+Quote Post
Silas
post Feb 12 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #3
Queen of Soon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,474

Yeah Siren Song would have walked it last year. Would have been a much better winner than that Dutch dullard

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Feb 12 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #4
Hello?
   No Gallery Pics

I mentioned it somewhere else, but Tone's Butterflies would have been top three for Norway in 2009, not that they exactly threw it away when they smashed records with their winner but I wish Tone had waited a year, or better, two.

I need a deeper dive into 2011's national finals to see what could have beaten Running Scared, but I'm pretty sure something could have done.

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post Feb 12 2020, 12:40 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,837
   No Gallery Pics

Starting with Melodifestivalen:
- 2010 Timotej - "Kom" would probably have done better than Anna even though I adore the song.
- 2011 Loreen - "My Heart Is Refusing Me" would have lit up a very dull ESC year
- 2016 Ace Wilder, Lisa Ajax, Robin Bengtsson and Molly Sandén were all way more deserving than Frans. Idk if they all would have done better but all would have been in the final for sure if not top 10 too.
- 2017 Seeing how well Robin did I think saying Loreen would have done better would be a lie but man would I have loved to see it in the actual contest.
- 2018 Mariette just for the female variety for once but also because it was a great song.

Söngvakeppnin:
- 2011 Yohanna would surely have done better than Sjonni's Friends. Or at least have left us with a less annoying song.
- 2012 while I love Gréta & Jónsi's song it didn't fare well in the final. Magni might have done better with "Hugarró".
- 2013 unlike in 2012 I hate the song we sent but Magni would have surely done better this year too.
- 2015 probably not a winning entry but I think Friðrik Dór would have done better than María Ólafs' DNQ. It's an Ed Sheeran-esque ballad at a time when Ed Sheeran was everywhere (although I suppose that's still true).
- 2017 Daði would have been top 10. Of that I am certain of. It's a catchy song with a very interesting performance. Televoters would have ate it up. Svala's song was great but in hindsight not Eurovision worthy.
- 2018 Anything other than what we picked. Seriously. Especially Dagur would have at least had a chance of making the final with his strong vocals but in the very least he wouldn't have been dead last lol.
- 2020 Iva is our best bet. Daði second best. Dimma a distant third. If we don't pick any of these three we're not gonna get out of the semis for sure.

Others:
- 2013 Adelén for Norway. While it wouldn't necessarily have done better than Margaret Berger (one of my fav ESC songs btw) it would have translated to an even bigger EU hit. Such a bop. Shame these two were in the same year.
- Whenever Margaret tried to be Poland's rep for the first time. Vocals weren't great but the song sure was.
- Aly Ryan for Germany last year. Last place could have been avoided lol.
- Asanda for the UK in 2018. SuRie was lovely and all but the song was forgettable AF. Not even a stage invader could save it.

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Feb 12 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #6
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

I'm not saying they threw away a potential winner (who am I kidding, of course it would've been unstoppable) but Denmark threw away THIS in favour of getting their worst result of the decade?! sleep.gif

QUOTE(diva thin muffin @ Feb 12 2020, 12:40 PM) *
- 2016 Ace Wilder, Lisa Ajax, Robin Bengtsson and Molly Sandén were all way more deserving than Frans. Idk if they all would have done better but all would have been in the final for sure if not top 10 too.

I'm pretty sure even Pernilla Andersson, Linda Bengtzing or After Dark would've made the final for them that year

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Feb 12 2020, 01:14 PM
Post #7
Hello?
   No Gallery Pics

- 2011 Yohanna would surely have done better than Sjonni's Friends. Or at least have left us with a less annoying song.

I feel like this would have definitely been top five at least, such a shame it wasn't sent.

- Asanda for the UK in 2018. SuRie was lovely and all but the song was forgettable AF. Not even a stage invader could save it.

Good call, we're so crap at picking entries out of a national final. This would have probably been mid-table I guess.

Also, The Revelations' It's You in 2008 was soooo good, and fitted the throwback Motown sound that was all over the charts back then, I wish we'd sent that over the incredibly dull Even If.

And Darline's Until Tomorrow in 2016 would have been a great entry for us too.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Feb 12 2020, 01:15 PM
Post #8
Hello?
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Feb 12 2020, 12:49 PM) *
I'm pretty sure even Pernilla Andersson, Linda Bengtzing or After Dark would've made the final for them that year

Ha. I'd dearly love Sweden to use their AQ on something like this, or one of those ridiculous things that they vote through to the final and then pay dust to, like Boogieman Blues or Mirakel.

+Quote Post
Hector
post Feb 12 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 4,992
   No Gallery Pics

This!

and... (although she won, and chose not to go to ESC):

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 12 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #10
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

100% agreed sith Heart Shaped Hole, also Never Alone by Anja Nissen. It's insane to think BOTH of those finished behind a song that got their worst result ever... HSH would have done better than Never Alone but I think Never Alone had top 10 potential as well (and would have done better than her eventual DMGP winner Where I Am I'd have thought, as much as I loved that).

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post Feb 12 2020, 02:24 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Feb 12 2020, 12:49 PM) *

lmao I totally blanked on the fact that they were AQ in 2016 laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Feb 12 2020, 08:02 PM
Post #12
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

They had THIS

VS. THIS

and chose neither...

Then there were these:

+Quote Post
LexC
post Feb 12 2020, 08:09 PM
Post #13
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

The UK also chose Gemini over this in 2003

Contender or not this would have at least not have been a national disaster

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Feb 12 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #14
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Remember when Finnish televoters chose PKN over Satin Circus “Crossroads” in 2015 drama.gif

+Quote Post
eurovision4ever
post Feb 12 2020, 10:35 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 19,535
   No Gallery Pics

Scooch besting Cyndi was a travesty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lvJ0kIq5Ey8

Loved city Chix and I think it was 2000, only the women know

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_mqtyDLj3zY

+Quote Post
nickthenoodle
post Feb 13 2020, 10:52 AM
Post #16
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
Member No.: 4,844
   No Gallery Pics

If Moldova had sent this, they would've continued their top ten streak I'm sure of it.

This was absolutely stunning and would've seen Romania well in the mix - can't believe those vile Wiwibloggs people ruined it for a couple of Lei.

+Quote Post
p a v
post Feb 13 2020, 11:25 AM
Post #17
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

QUOTE(nickthenoodle @ Feb 13 2020, 01:52 PM) *

This was absolutely stunning and would've seen Romania well in the mix - can't believe those vile Wiwibloggs people ruined it for a couple of Lei.

i frankly don't give a SHIT if this song is the best in the history of the world - she was rightfully and deservedly tanked in the voting. an anti-LGBTQ+ person getting this huge platform to possibly get to stardom while being passively against the rights of my entire community? N O T H A N K S

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 13 2020, 11:51 AM
Post #18
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Asanda - Legends & Margaret - Cool Me Down were the first thoughts for this, for me.

As much as Loreen - My Heart Is Refusing Me deserves a mention on here, I'm kinda glad it didn't, because I'm not sure we would have had 'Euphoria' in the glorious form that we know it, had MHIRM gone on to the finals and finished top 5!

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post Feb 13 2020, 12:44 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(nickthenoodle @ Feb 13 2020, 10:52 AM) *

I've heard this a few times that the Wiwibloggs voters ruined this but looking at the Wikipedia page it seems the broadcaster ruined this all on their own lmao. The televote was only one set of 12-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 points while every juror had a separate set of votes. What a mess laugh.gif

Also echoing what Pavel says. A homophobe flopping don't get no pity from me.

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post Feb 13 2020, 12:45 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Feb 13 2020, 11:51 AM) *
As much as Loreen - My Heart Is Refusing Me deserves a mention on here, I'm kinda glad it didn't, because I'm not sure we would have had 'Euphoria' in the glorious form that we know it, had MHIRM gone on to the finals and finished top 5!

That's true. Without Loreen failing in 2011 we would probably not have gotten Euphoria but in a perfect world she'd be Top 5 in 2011 (or maybe even a winner) and then coming back right away with an even bigger and better song and then rightfully winning with an even bigger margin because everyone knows and loves Loreen at that point. wub.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:08 AM