BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> England Euro 2016 Qualifiers
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Soy Adrián
post 4th September 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #21
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

QUOTE(Rooney @ Sep 4 2014, 11:39 AM) *
Sturridge was just never allowed to me the main striker at Chelsea. I don't think he's selfish at all, sure there are times when he makes the wrong decisions, but Ronaldo/Suarez/Messi/Ibra do this too, but the difference is they're in the next class above Sturridge. The problem England has is no-one creates space for the forward players. Sturridge is at times so good because obviously he can play on the shoulder of the last defender, but also because he is so goo at finding space. For England we don't really have any midfield runners, and the wide players are predictable (one attacking, one more defensive minded).

The team needs to be built around Sterling though. He is the one player in this generation for England, that has the potential to be in the same bracket as Ronaldo/Messi/Suarez. I don't think I'm jumping the gun here, the lad has everything in it to become that good if he applies himself.

That difference in class is the difference between being able to produce genius out of the blue, as those players can, and being a liability when it's not happening for you.

It doesn't need to be built around anyone. Players need to be used in their best positions, but that's a different matter.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sabrina.
post 4th September 2014, 12:10 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,406

Hodgson suggesting that they may have to 'do a Norway' against Switzerland and sit deep. I'm sure we'll all look forward to that performance

These quotes are starting to sound all too familiar. I remember the days when Northampton town were being referred to as 'formidable opposition' prior to their league cup visit to Anfield

+Quote this post
Sabrina.
post 4th September 2014, 12:24 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(¿ REY CARLOS ? @ Sep 4 2014, 01:09 PM) *
It doesn't need to be built around anyone. Players need to be used in their best positions, but that's a different matter.

How do you decide on best positions though? People would say both Rooney and Sterling are best centrally

But Sterling is currently outperforming Rooney, so surely that means you play Sterling there and then build the rest of the team around him?

The diamond has worked well at Liverpool. Our game vs. Tottenham: Gerrard Henderson Allen Sterling Sturridge Balotelli

Rooney to place Balotelli and Wilshere to replace Allen. The problem is that we don't really have a player to replace Gerrard. Henderson can do a job in that position, but personally I think he's being wasted playing so deep. I wouldn't trust Hodgson to get the best out of them regardless of system and personnel either

Luckily one thing the FA are worried about is money, so they'll have to act soon if the attendances remain so low

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 4th September 2014, 01:21 PM
Post #24
Group icon

QUOTE(Sabrina. @ Sep 4 2014, 01:24 PM) *
How do you decide on best positions though? People would say both Rooney and Sterling are best centrally

But Sterling is currently outperforming Rooney, so surely that means you play Sterling there and then build the rest of the team around him?

The diamond has worked well at Liverpool. Our game vs. Tottenham: Gerrard Henderson Allen Sterling Sturridge Balotelli

Rooney to place Balotelli and Wilshere to replace Allen. The problem is that we don't really have a player to replace Gerrard. Henderson can do a job in that position, but personally I think he's being wasted playing so deep. I wouldn't trust Hodgson to get the best out of them regardless of system and personnel either

Luckily one thing the FA are worried about is money, so they'll have to act soon if the attendances remain so low

I agree, I've said that I'd play Sterling in that position but that doesn't equate to building the team around him. Is the Liverpool team built around him? Or was it developed because it suited different players and the way you wanted to play?

I'd be in favour of trying the diamond out against Switzerland as long as the front five were drilled to pick up their full backs, who can be really dangerous. I was opposed to it at the World Cup because I thought Gerrard would be out of his depth defensively against decent teams, hence why I'd use Jones there on Monday.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 4th September 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #25
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(¿ REY CARLOS ? @ Sep 4 2014, 02:21 PM) *
I agree, I've said that I'd play Sterling in that position but that doesn't equate to building the team around him. Is the Liverpool team built around him? Or was it developed because it suited different players and the way you wanted to play?

I'd be in favour of trying the diamond out against Switzerland as long as the front five were drilled to pick up their full backs, who can be really dangerous. I was opposed to it at the World Cup because I thought Gerrard would be out of his depth defensively against decent teams, hence why I'd use Jones there on Monday.

Maybe build the team around him is a bit too much, and especially over-reliant on one player, but you play him and the best position to suit him, a bit like Portugal and Argentina do with Ronaldo & Messi. Right now confidence and support for the national team is at an all-time low. But our team isn't actually that bad. While I think this particular squad is weak it's also missing Barkley, Lallana, Shaw, Johnson etc. who would have been in the squad.

For me our problem just lies with Hodgson. We need a progressive manager, because our top players are all coached by progressive managers, so I don't see why we can't find an identity and push through with it.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 4th September 2014, 11:15 PM
Post #26
Group icon

QUOTE(Rooney @ Sep 4 2014, 11:23 PM) *
Maybe build the team around him is a bit too much, and especially over-reliant on one player, but you play him and the best position to suit him, a bit like Portugal and Argentina do with Ronaldo & Messi. Right now confidence and support for the national team is at an all-time low. But our team isn't actually that bad. While I think this particular squad is weak it's also missing Barkley, Lallana, Shaw, Johnson etc. who would have been in the squad.

For me our problem just lies with Hodgson. We need a progressive manager, because our top players are all coached by progressive managers, so I don't see why we can't find an identity and push through with it.

It's far easier to be successful by being progressive as a club manager because you can work with players every week and drill them to play how you want.

And would you count Mourinho as a progressive manager?

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 5th September 2014, 12:01 AM
Post #27
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(¿ REY CARLOS ? @ Sep 5 2014, 12:15 AM) *
It's far easier to be successful by being progressive as a club manager because you can work with players every week and drill them to play how you want.

And would you count Mourinho as a progressive manager?

Not in the sense of Rodgers/van Gaal/Klopp/Ancelotti/Wenger - but his players all know his methods and systems. It's all about being tight & compact. You can drill players all you want. End of the day our best players all play in some kind of tactical system, be it an attacking 4-3-3 or a more defensive one, but instead we're treated to a lopsided 4-4-1-1. The media have started getting arsey with Hodgson now and he can't take it.

The basic principles are he's using the players wrongly. Gerrard has struggled in a midfield 2 (and even in a 3 sometimes) for the past few years, it doesn't matter who he's paired up with. Liverpool got around this fact by playing with two leggy players in the middle. Yet in the summer he never had that support & protection. Football's all about space, where you can find the space, you can win the match. I know that sounds daft, but imo Hodgson doesn't realise that. I know he's not going to leave unless England have disastrous results, but he's doing far more hindrance than good.

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post 5th September 2014, 09:16 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 49

The main problem with the whole Rooney situation is that the FA want Rooney to play no matter what because he is the 'famous' player. We've had this kind of years like when Scholes was put on the left under Sven for example as he HAD to play with Gerrard and Lampard. Remember Martin O'Neil allegedly didn't get the job based on the fact that he said he wouldn't pick John Terry.

It's all well and good wanting Hodgson to go but who exactly are we gonna get? There is certainly no English manager (and do you seriously want Redknapp after he scraped promotion with by far the best squad of the championship?) As for anyone else I'm sure Brendan wouldn't take it right now and I can't think of anyone else tbh.

This post has been edited by Grandwicky: 5th September 2014, 09:18 AM

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 5th September 2014, 12:54 PM
Post #29
Group icon

Mourinho has said in the past that he'd be interested. Wouldn't be surprised if he won the CL this or next year and decided he wanted a change of scene after 2016.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 5th September 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #30
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

We don't need an English manager, just someone who is accustom to our culture that IMO was why Capello was so victimised. Barring the disaster of 2010 we weren't actually that bad under him. I'm going to assume Southgate will get the job in 2016 providing no major issues.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 5th September 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #31
Group icon

QUOTE(Rooney @ Sep 5 2014, 03:26 PM) *
We don't need an English manager, just someone who is accustom to our culture that IMO was why Capello was so victimised. Barring the disaster of 2010 we weren't actually that bad under him. I'm going to assume Southgate will get the job in 2016 providing no major issues.

Why do you think he's more likely than Neville?

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 5th September 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #32
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(¿ REY CARLOS ? @ Sep 5 2014, 04:32 PM) *
Why do you think he's more likely than Neville?

Because Neville has no management experience, and imo I think Neville enjoys his role as pundit/coach. As intelligent as he is, I can't see him taking that management job. I expect they will go for Southgate, and probably make up a backroom team of ex-players.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 6th September 2014, 01:19 PM
Post #33
Group icon

Sturridge out for the Switzerland game. Rooney to start up front?

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 7th September 2014, 03:15 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

England should really be winning the Switzerland match & should be embarrassed to call a draw a "good result".

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post 7th September 2014, 03:26 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 49

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Sep 7 2014, 04:15 PM) *
England should really be winning the Switzerland match & should be embarrassed to call a draw a "good result".

You mean Switzerland who have been the better team for a while now and are ranked higher than us? huh.gif

Unfortunately this is going to be a lot of people's perception come to think of it

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 7th September 2014, 07:46 PM
Post #36
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

I genuinely would not be surprised if we got beat! Switzerland are not a bad side, and they're well drilled and organised, so will be hard to beat.

Still think we'll play the same as we did against Norwary, with Welbeck replacing Sturridge.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 7th September 2014, 09:24 PM
Post #37
Group icon

Rumours of Rooney starting on the left, which would be dangerous against Rodriguez.

+Quote this post
Sabrina.
post 8th September 2014, 05:18 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

England team to play Switzerland: Hart, Stones, Cahill, Jones, Baines, Delph, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 8th September 2014, 08:52 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Yes a win, great goal at the end, should easily win the group unless they lose the plot at some point.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 8th September 2014, 11:07 PM
Post #40
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

Didn't see the game, but most things I've read seem positive? The God awful rigid 4-4-2 brought the worst out of everyone it seems!

+Quote this post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 03:44 AM