BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The film roles that never happened...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Piers
post 13th February 2021, 07:58 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521
Taking a trip down memory lane. None of the girls ever became true film stars...but apparently there was something of a chance of that happening at one time. Wanted to take a look back at some of the film roles that might-have-been. Some of these are rumors.

These are the ones I remember...

The World is Not Enough. In the Geri documentary, Geri is seen getting ready to audition for this Bond film. It seems as though this would be the Elektra King role (not the part played by Denise Richards). As an aside, Mel C was heavily rumored at the time to be in the running to sing the theme song. While I'm not clear on if that was actually true, my understanding is the song is meant to be the perspective of Elektra...the role Geri lost out on.

Charlie's Angels. Victoria's claimed she was runner-up for the role Lucy Liu ended up taking. Also...after Geri left the Spice Girls, the late night talk shows in the US claimed she was in the running to star in this. My guess is Geri's involvement was probably just rumors...an easy story to make up when news of Geri's departure and a Charlie's Angels film in the works were in the news at the same time.

Therapy. What was intended to be Geri's starring vehicle...a rom com about a woman who falls in love with her therapist...never happened. If memory serves correctly, David Gordon Green was intended to direct this...until they just couldn't get enough interest to get the financing together. It's interesting he was involved...since he would go on to a lot of success with stuff like Pineapple Express and Halloween (2018). Side note. I've always guessed Geri's Getting Better b-side was meant to be for this movie.

Superman Returns. Tabloid articles at the time thought Emma was up for Lois Lane...but on RuPaul's podcast, Emma said she was actually up for Kitty Kowalski. That part makes a lot more sense. The role is very similar to the 1978 Superman's Miss Teschmacher...Lex Luthor's sidekick who has a soft spot for Superman. Emma has something of a resemblance in looks and mannerisms to Teschmacher actress Valerie Perrine (something also pointed out by RuPaul). I've wondered if Emma did get cast, if the role would have remained "Miss Teschmacher" instead of changing the name for Parker Posey (who didn't resemble the original actress).

The Pink Panther 2. Emma was rumored to be in the running for this...but I'm not sure this was ever confirmed.

Quick note about Hercules. There's a very popular rumor that the girls were going to be the Muses who narrate the story, but this wasn't ever in the cards. They *were* asked to record I Won't Say I'm In Love for the soundtrack album, but the timing didn't work out.

Anyway. What'd I miss...?

This post has been edited by Piers: 13th February 2021, 08:03 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 13th February 2021, 10:04 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
Apparently Geri was offered a main role in an Austin Powers movie when she left Spice Girls but she turned it down because she felt it was too similar to 'Ginger' which she was walking away from. She say's it in her autobiography.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 13th February 2021, 10:47 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 13 2021, 05:04 PM) *
Apparently Geri was offered a main role in an Austin Powers movie when she left Spice Girls but she turned it down because she felt it was too similar to 'Ginger' which she was walking away from. She say's it in her autobiography.

Hm. I wonder what role that would have been. Ivana Humpalot?

I don't love the second and third Austin Powers films because I think the clever stuff was starting to get outweighed by the dud material...but there's no arguing that The Spy Who Shagged Me was a huge hit. It's interesting in retrospect that Geri would turn down that sort of opportunity...but then again, the Geri doc shows the sort of sky-is-the-limit ambitions she had immediately following the Spice Girls.

Honestly, it's too bad the timing didn't pan out for the full five piece at the height of their characters to end up in an Austin Powers film. I know it couldn't happen that way. They hadn't exploded in America yet when the first film was shooting. Geri leaving, touring, and pregnancies would get in the way of any involvement in the second. But. Really, both the Spices and Austin Powers were so big on the union jack imagery and love of retro and camp...in some alternate universe, the group would have fit right in with the films' aesthetic. Granted, they might have ended up with machine gun boobs or something...

This post has been edited by Piers: 13th February 2021, 10:53 PM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 13th February 2021, 11:24 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
I do think they would have been perfect to record a song for the soundtrack of one of the Austin Powers movies. That would make total sense...

There was also news that Victoria auditioned for one of the roles in the Charlie's Angels movie, I think the character then taken up by Lucy Liu. She did also confirm it right?...

Also, Emma was involved in a Sleeping Beauty film that didnt get financing, right? Or was that a TV film?... Anyway, she did some auditions after the Reunion tour ended apparently, there was even a test screen she did that was leaked and was on YouTube but don't remember what it was for. It was absolutely dreadful though, poor Emma... Acting just isnt for her, bless her heart sleep.gif

I think Mel B was the closest thing to a movie star any of them got to. She actually showed up in (terrible) movies. And Geri got the role in the Fat Slags movie which is best forgotten ah Im not counting Emma's role in the Ab Fab movie as she was playing herself on that one...

+Quote this post
Piers
post 14th February 2021, 01:00 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Feb 13 2021, 06:24 PM) *
Also, Emma was involved in a Sleeping Beauty film that didnt get financing, right? Or was that a TV film?... Anyway, she did some auditions after the Reunion tour ended apparently, there was even a test screen she did that was leaked and was on YouTube but don't remember what it was for. It was absolutely dreadful though, poor Emma... Acting just isnt for her, bless her heart sleep.gif

I think Mel B was the closest thing to a movie star any of them got to. She actually showed up in (terrible) movies. And Geri got the role in the Fat Slags movie which is best forgotten ah Im not counting Emma's role in the Ab Fab movie as she was playing herself on that one...

Oh yeah! Sleeping Beauty. I think that was supposed to be a BBC musical for TV, right? I remember that project getting a lot of attention back in 1999. MTV in the US was reporting on it.

I've never seen that Emma screen test. I'm going to have to try to track it down...

Ah yes. Fat Slags. One of the only times a Spice Girl gets on the big screen post-Spice World, and it's...Fat Slags. I can't say that much. I've never sat down to watch the whole thing. I've only seen some compilations of Geri's scenes on Youtube. It...doesn't look like my thing. I'll leave it at that. This seriously played at some theaters?

And yeah, there's Ab Fab. And Emma and Victoria were sorta kinda in Zoolander (in archive footage).

I wish the full five-piece could still make a fun appearance in some A-list movie...similar to Wilson Phillips in Bridesmaids or the Backstreet Boys in This is The End. A super fun cameo to cap off a (hopefully) actual good movie shouldn't be too much to ask, right?..........right?

+Quote this post
vibe
post 14th February 2021, 06:39 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Melanie C would be perfect for a blood brothers movie !!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th February 2021, 07:46 AM
Post #7
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
I remember Emma in Sleeping Beauty being quite a big story for a moment, it seems a shame that didn't end up happening considering that initial buzz.

It's such a random footnote in Emma's career that she has small roles in two Indian movies in 2005! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyaar_Mein_Twist / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_(2005_film)

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 14th February 2021, 10:08 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Oh yeah the two Bollywood movies that was random for Emma.

Melanie C was in that Keith lemon movie wasn’t she and Emma? Didn’t Emma also have a voice role in the U.K. version of cars alongside Jamie Theakston? Geri was also briefly in that Jason Statham film. And Mel B was in a few films:
- LSD50
- Telling Lies
- The Seat Filler
- Chocolate City 2
- Love Thy Neighbour
- that Christmas TV film I forget it’s title
- Tinkerbell
- killing Hasslehoff

- Blazing Samurai (which has Samuel L Jackson in it!) is yet to be released since 2017.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 14th February 2021, 11:10 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
I think it's time for Spiceworld 2. The plot writes itself in terms of it being about them getting together for a one off reunion stadium gig, Spiceworld 2 'The Reunion'.

It can play on the way the press portray them. Mel B living in a big house but looking down the side of the sofa for money as she's skint. Geri's husband begging her to do it to get her to stop baking him awful cakes. Emma is desperate to do it, sleeps next to her microphone. Mel C is reluctant but Kappa tracksuits are back in. Victoria is the last to agree but demands to design the clothes.

The rehearsals are a mess, Mel b missing to film tv shows, fighting over costumes, set lists but it being the Spice Girls it all falls into place at the last minute. They put on an amazing show and the crowd love it and it gets rave reviews. The bond they have shows on stage and in the minutes after where you can see beneath it all they actually love each other. They are sat celebrating backstage after the triumph all lovey dovey until they break out into an argument at what to do next, the credits roll.

This post has been edited by sammy01: 14th February 2021, 11:20 AM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 14th February 2021, 01:46 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Feb 14 2021, 11:10 AM) *
I think it's time for Spiceworld 2. The plot writes itself in terms of it being about them getting together for a one off reunion stadium gig, Spiceworld 2 'The Reunion'.

It can play on the way the press portray them. Mel B living in a big house but looking down the side of the sofa for money as she's skint. Geri's husband begging her to do it to get her to stop baking him awful cakes. Emma is desperate to do it, sleeps next to her microphone. Mel C is reluctant but Kappa tracksuits are back in. Victoria is the last to agree but demands to design the clothes.

The rehearsals are a mess, Mel b missing to film tv shows, fighting over costumes, set lists but it being the Spice Girls it all falls into place at the last minute. They put on an amazing show and the crowd love it and it gets rave reviews. The bond they have shows on stage and in the minutes after where you can see beneath it all they actually love each other. They are sat celebrating backstage after the triumph all lovey dovey until they break out into an argument at what to do next, the credits roll.

Sounds perfect 🤣

I always thought that the S Club seeing double movie would have worked well for the girls as a second movie in 1998. Tied in with a third album called Spice Invaders and with bigger celeb cameos like in Spiceworld, the clones for example they could probably have got some very successful names to play and actually had Madonna, Michael Jackson etc I mean they got Elton John, Meatloaf and Rodger Moore in the first one!

Imagine third 5 piece album Spice Invaders with tie in film Spice Invaders The Movie and The Spice Invaders World tour 1999. 😍 Instead we got 2 babies, no album, and a couple of dates at two venues! 🤣😭

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 14th February 2021, 01:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Feb 14 2021, 11:10 AM) *

this would be iconic teresa.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 14th February 2021, 02:00 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 14 2021, 10:08 AM) *
Oh yeah the two Bollywood movies that was random for Emma.

Melanie C was in that Keith lemon movie wasn’t she and Emma? Didn’t Emma also have a voice role in the U.K. version of cars alongside Jamie Theakston? Geri was also briefly in that Jason Statham film. And Mel B was in a few films:
- LSD50
- Telling Lies
- The Seat Filler
- Chocolate City 2
- Love Thy Neighbour
- that Christmas TV film I forget it’s title
- Tinkerbell
- killing Hasslehoff

- Blazing Samurai (which has Samuel L Jackson in it!) is yet to be released since 2017.

Oh gosh yeah Emma and Mel were in that Keith Lemon movie, it was terrible ah. Emma did do a couple of voice overs for disney movies actually, I think it was Cars and then another more recently where she voices an animal? Was it Madagascar?....

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Feb 14 2021, 07:46 AM) *
I remember Emma in Sleeping Beauty being quite a big story for a moment, it seems a shame that didn't end up happening considering that initial buzz.

It's such a random footnote in Emma's career that she has small roles in two Indian movies in 2005! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyaar_Mein_Twist / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_(2005_film)

Ah shit I forgot about the Bollywood movies w00t.gif

So basically Emma and Mel B did quite a few gigs in the end. Interesting...

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 14th February 2021, 02:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
Didn't Geri do a voice over for an animated movie too?

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 15th February 2021, 01:18 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
Wasnt Emma and Martine McCutcheon both in the running for that Sleeping Beauty film that didn't happen?

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 11:31 AM