BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
24 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Tory fibs and fabrishications thread, Mk III, Ready for Rishi Rich
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post 26th May 2024, 09:34 AM
Post #441
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ 26th May 2024, 09:50 AM) *
I just wish that there was a Yes Prime Minister clip regarding whether to bring back National Service which could be shared at this point. Unfortunately I don’t think such a clip exists…

laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 26th May 2024, 09:47 AM
Post #442
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

oK i'll post it then... laugh.gif

My dad was in the RAF until I was 22 - and I still wouldnt have agreed for National Service to be brought back. Of course in those days they left you on the dole for years on end paying you nothing much as a cheaper alternative, so you were forced to compete for low-paid unskilled jobs. Aaah, happy memories of having no life at all and that was with a degree....

Unlike the majority of the older folk they seem to be attempting to target, I have no rose-tinted views of the past, I have actual memories of it and I think they will find they are under-estimating the older generation by listening to their volunteer "Major-General what what what give 'em a dose of shock-treatment that'll sort 'em out" a bit too much. A bit like they did with Liz Truss who was blatantly-obvious bat-shit crazy.

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 26th May 2024, 10:33 AM
Post #443
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Pronouns: he/him
User: 22,168

QUOTE(Steve201 @ 25th May 2024, 10:51 PM) *
So Rishi has announced national service in the army or voluntary service on the Tory manifesto 👀🤣
Ah, so he's just playing to Middle England now.

I'm autistic so I would be medically withdrawn anyway (biggrin.gif) but yeah. I don't think he's even trying to win, there's not that many people who are actually in favour of this IMO. It's just a noisy minority, most of which are probably too pissed off with the Tories now to even give them a shot.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 26th May 2024, 10:47 AM
Post #444
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

The plan is for it to start in autumn 2025 and would be for 18-yer-olds. Therefore, not a single one of the people on the programme would have voted for it.

There is meant to be a "choice" between a year in the armed forces or one weekend a month on "voluntary" community service. This must be a new meaning of the word "voluntary" I was previously unaware of.

The Home Secretary, Jimmy Dimly, has said that there will be no criminal sanction for non-compliance. How will that work? Of course, if there is a fine for not taking part, that just means that teenagers from wealthier backgrounds can just buy their way out of it. In other words, it's a scheme for the plebs.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 26th May 2024, 11:34 AM
Post #445
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Lmao, you'd almost think Rishi wants to lose and get it over with as soon as possible so he can sod off to the US tearsmile.gif What a non-starter Telegraph-bait policy, mental health concerns and also wider awareness amongst young adults are only getting higher, so let's chuck them in the army or force them to volunteer to sort those snowflakes out!

The real nerve of is that this was discontinued in 1960 so the youngest people that actually lived through this would be, give or take a few years for deferred service, 82 today. the decision makers of this policy would all be younger than that (as well as a fair few of the crowd they're targetting) so never had to do it themselves which just makes them look like total hypocrites.

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 26th May 2024, 11:35 AM
Post #446
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ 26th May 2024, 11:47 AM) *
The plan is for it to start in autumn 2025 and would be for 18-yer-olds. Therefore, not a single one of the people on the programme would have voted for it.

There is meant to be a "choice" between a year in the armed forces or one weekend a month on "voluntary" community service. This must be a new meaning of the word "voluntary" I was previously unaware of.

The Home Secretary, Jimmy Dimly, has said that there will be no criminal sanction for non-compliance. How will that work? Of course, if there is a fine for not taking part, that just means that teenagers from wealthier backgrounds can just buy their way out of it. In other words, it's a scheme for the plebs.
I think this is exactly what they intended.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 26th May 2024, 12:19 PM
Post #447
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Hassaan @ 26th May 2024, 11:33 AM) *

I'm autistic so I would be medically withdrawn anyway (biggrin.gif) but yeah. I don't think he's even trying to win, there's not that many people who are actually in favour of this IMO. It's just a noisy minority, most of which are probably too pissed off with the Tories now to even give them a shot.

Was gonna say there’ll be a few doctors letters coming in for this. And what about NI…..

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 26th May 2024, 12:55 PM
Post #448
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

QUOTE(Hassaan @ 26th May 2024, 11:33 AM) *

I'm autistic so I would be medically withdrawn anyway (biggrin.gif) but yeah
. I don't think he's even trying to win, there's not that many people who are actually in favour of this IMO. It's just a noisy minority, most of which are probably too pissed off with the Tories now to even give them a shot.

I don't think it will.be easy to withdraw as you would think. I can see the policy under the Tories causing a lot of people who would be medically unfit falling through the cracks and being forced to do the service.

Or those who medically withdraw being accidently fined for not doing it and such. Then in order to fight the government on the fine being wrong they would have to spend time and money potentially to argue this in court.

In a nutshell I can see it going very wrong very quickly and causing a massive disparity between those who are rich and those who are poor.

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 26th May 2024, 02:49 PM
Post #449
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Envoirment @ 26th May 2024, 01:55 PM) *
I don't think it will.be easy to withdraw as you would think. I can see the policy under the Tories causing a lot of people who would be medically unfit falling through the cracks and being forced to do the service.

Or those who medically withdraw being accidently fined for not doing it and such. Then in order to fight the government on the fine being wrong they would have to spend time and money potentially to argue this in court.

In a nutshell I can see it going very wrong very quickly and causing a massive disparity between those who are rich and those who are poor.
I'd be amazed if it passes through, especially if their idea is to force people to do it.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 26th May 2024, 02:59 PM
Post #450
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 175,892

Even a Armed Forces minister thinks this is a stupid policy. Also only 30,000 places are for the military - the rest will be in public services. They are essentially looking to fill massive recruitment gaps in vital public services with bored free-labour teenagers. It's a scandal waiting to happen. They won't actually be able to do anything because of how much training these roles require - most currently need a Uni degree or at least a college diploma. If you are going to bring back national service you should at least actually make it national service.

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/...024-05-15/26391

This post has been edited by DoBelieveTheHype: 26th May 2024, 03:00 PM

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 26th May 2024, 06:00 PM
Post #451
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

One of my friends who works in Parliament was there for Theresa May's leaving speech the other evening.

I told him "you should have handed her a P45 for old time's sake"

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 26th May 2024, 06:51 PM
Post #452
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

https://x.com/GBNEWS/status/1794722063288094969

Iain Duncan Smith things this new National Service should be extending to 15 and 16 year olds. At this point you do wonder if they're actively trying to lose this election? Who is this supposed to play well with.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 26th May 2024, 07:14 PM
Post #453
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Well Ian Duncan Smith is close to losing his seat and given most big beats of the cabinet are leaving their job rather than have the courage to stand up for the last 5 -14 years his could be a Portillo moment that night!

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 26th May 2024, 08:11 PM
Post #454
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

We should make it a rule that anyone calling for National Service should be made to do it.

+Quote this post
Liam sota
post 27th May 2024, 09:08 AM
Post #455
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 173,568

If the Tories won by a landslide I doubt they'd implement this policy so it seems like distraction talk or talk to get people defending the idea so they get energised by the election. Its unworkable for many reasons and if they wanted to do it they've been in charge 14 years so they had a chance to do it. All Labour have to do is say little and they win this election by a huge blowout so I don't know why so many people are falling for the bait on this one. I would say this is a safe our safe seats announcement, we are going to lose but sure up our super safe seats as they're not super safe currently. Its not a serious idea

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 27th May 2024, 09:39 AM
Post #456
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(Liam sota @ 27th May 2024, 10:08 AM) *
If the Tories won by a landslide I doubt they'd implement this policy so it seems like distraction talk or talk to get people defending the idea so they get energised by the election. Its unworkable for many reasons and if they wanted to do it they've been in charge 14 years so they had a chance to do it. All Labour have to do is say little and they win this election by a huge blowout so I don't know why so many people are falling for the bait on this one. I would say this is a safe our safe seats announcement, we are going to lose but sure up our super safe seats as they're not super safe currently. Its not a serious idea

Aye, the more that comes out about it the more I think is they're just talking for the sake of talking/introducing ideas into the national conversation that are now Serious Debate Topics as opposed to lunatic rubbish that needs to be consigned to the bin. Which does have an effect on shifting the debate about the election. Best thing for Labour to do is ignore it but it's a tough corollary to thread, they want something that'll be talked about like this but equally something that doesn't scare the voters.

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 27th May 2024, 10:25 AM
Post #457
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I think Sunak has conjured this up so he has a line of attack for Starmer supposedly not being tough enough.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 27th May 2024, 12:08 PM
Post #458
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Hassaan @ 27th May 2024, 11:25 AM) *
I think Sunak has conjured this up so he has a line of attack for Starmer supposedly not being tough enough.

He conjured it up as a distraction from his gaffe ridden first few days of the campaign and it's worked. Everybody's talking about this and not him being asked if he's captaining a sinking ship. Party HQ will be very pleased with how this has went.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 28th May 2024, 09:27 AM
Post #459
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I for one can't wait for Sunak to fvck off to America. Articles are already coming out saying he 'won't leave the country if he loses' which is an oddly specific denial in my opinion.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 28th May 2024, 01:05 PM
Post #460
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

all the arguments being dragged out by people of my generation for National Service were dragged out by the older generation (who had actually had to do it themselves) when I was of that age, and for exactly the same reasons. The same arguments were made by Roman old people about Roman young people 2 thousand years ago.

Basically, young people are gobby and disrespectful and want to hang about with others of the same age and not be told what to do and old people re-write in their head what things were like 50 years ago. Trust me, they were just as much gobshites and slagged off old folk and vice versa. People never change.

It didn't happen then and it's not going to happen now. Sunak made it up out of nowhere.

+Quote this post

24 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th June 2024, 07:12 PM