BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> john's 1975 charts, flares, discos, exams, scorching summer...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 30th April 2016, 06:57 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

12th August 1975

1967 single The Single Girl tops my chart 5 years later than it would have done if I had let oldies into my 1970 chart, and Sandy Posey does a sweet helpless girlie countrypop song that wouldn’t go down too well these days, but I still love it anyway. Sensational Delilah is up to 2 for Alex Harvey, Glen Campbell gets his 8th top 10, George McRae gets his 3rd inside 12 months, and highest new entry is from Ray Stevens, hot off Misty topping my chart, at 11 with his album track cover of April Stevens and Nino Tempo’s early 60‘s cover of the 1939 US chart-topper (phew!) Deep Purple. Ray did it country style, and it should have been the follow-up single, guaranteed hit. Sadly it wasn’t released, so Donny & Marie covered it a year later and got the hit. Ray is also in at 20 with Lady Of Spain, a 1931 standard, and an updated cover like most of the other tracks on his Misty album. Both tracks were played on Rosko’s Round Table record review show on Radio 1. I recorded them!

In at 14, Procol Harum return after a 3-year break with the fab Pandora’s Box, and 8 years since A Whiter Shade Of Pale first hit it classic. Annoyingly it was their last hit. Biddu and Bimbo Jet take 2 instrumentals into the 20, Action is new at 25 for The Sweet, their second self-written hit, and a great driving rockpop track miles away from the bubblegum of Funny Funny 4 years earlier. Buffy Sainte-Marie goes top 30 for the second time with her Country Girl, as a real Country girl Billie-Jo Spears lays her Blanket On The Ground, covering number 29 for a bit of slap and tickle. I heard this in a club not long ago and it sounded surprisingly fresh and fab played loud. Talking of Country, there’s another cover at 30, of The Everley Brothers 50‘s track All I Have To Do Is Dream - which was 30 the week before! The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band were faves of mine, known to me from the soundtrack and movie Paint Your Wagon - they would have also had a 1970 chart hit had I allowed it, with Hand Me Down That Can O’ Beans. Fun! This single is for me the best version of the song, and never a hit. Pah!

Chris Spedding rides his Motor Bikin’ back, this time into the 40, while The Glitter Band split from Gary a year earlier (wonder why.....) and are back for the 6th time without him for some Love In The Sun, and sounding totally not Glam Rock-ish. At 42 it’s Rod Stewart entering his major label megastar period, and starting as he means to go on - with a cover version. Yes, it’s the very famous Sailing, a song I loved in 1972 in it’s original folk Sutherland Brothers version. That flopped sadly, so Rod knew a good song when he heard one, slowed it down dramatically, sucked the life out of it, and delivered an anthem. Still prefer the original.

At 43, and an American hit, the theme tune to The Rockford Files - not only the best Private Detective series of all-time (still) starring the fantastic James Garner, but also the best theme tune, as delivered by the consistently good theme show writer Mike Post. This was his best one. Hello are back for the 5th time with their best record, the Bo-Diddley-rhythm-ed New York Groove. Play loud and singalong, New. York. Groove. I”M BACK! Back in the New York Groooove! Fab! Eric Clapton’s also back with another laid-back reggae cover, his 3rd, this time tackling Bob Dylan’s haunting Knocking On Heaven’s Door, which charted 2 years earlier. One of those rare instances where Bob has the definitive version of his own song, it still hasn’t been bettered and many have tried.

1 ( 6 ) THE SINGLE GIRL Sandy Posey
2 ( 3 ) DELILAH The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
3 ( 1 ) IN THE YEAR 2525 Zager And Evans
4 ( 2 ) BREAK AWAY The Beach Boys
5 ( 4 ) LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER Captain And Tennille
6 ( 5 ) MISTY Ray Stevens
7 ( 14 ) RHINESTONE COWBOY Glen Campbell
8 ( 17 ) IT’S BEEN SO LONG George McCrae
9 ( 9 ) ALL I NEED IS YOUR SWEET LOVIN' Gloria Gaynor
10 ( 7 ) SHERRY Adrian Baker

11 ( NEW ) DEEP PURPLE Ray Stevens
12 ( 19 ) BLUEBIRD Helen Reddy
13 ( 10 ) THE HUSTLE Van McCoy & The Soul City Symphony
14 ( NEW ) PANDORA’S BOX Procol Harum
15 ( 26 ) SUMMER OF ’42 Biddu Orchestra
16 ( 25 ) EL BIMBO Bimbo Jet
17 ( 20 ) A CHILD’S PRAYER Hot Chocolate
18 ( 12 ) IT’S IN HIS KISS Linda Lewis
19 ( 16 ) JIVE TALKING The Bee Gees
20 ( NEW ) LADY OF SPAIN Ray Stevens

21 ( 13 ) CAN’T GIVE YOU ANYTHING (BUT MY LOVE) The Stylistics
22 ( 11 ) THAT’S THE WAY (I LIKE IT) K.C. And The Sunshine Band
23 ( 8 ) HIGH WIRE LInda Carr And The Love Squad
24 ( 27 ) OH PRETTY WOMAN Roy Orbison
25 ( NEW ) ACTION The Sweet
26 ( 22 ) NEW YORK CITY T.Rex
27 ( 28 ) FROZEN ORANGE JUICE Peter Sarstedt
28 ( 50 ) I’M GONNA BE A COUNTRY GIRL AGAIN Buffy Sainte-Marie
29 ( NEW ) BLANKET ON THE GROUND Billie-Jo Spears
30 ( NEW ) (ALL I HAVE TO DO IS) DREAM The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

31 ( 23 ) ANYTHING GOES Harpers Bizarre
32 ( 24 ) 59TH BRIDGE STREET SONG (FEELIN’ GROOVY) Harpers Bizarre
33 ( 21 ) SEALED WITH A KISS Brian Hyland
34 ( 36 ) DOLLY MY LOVE The Moments
35 ( 37 ) DO IT AGAIN Steely Dan
36 ( 38 ) CHIC-A-BOOM 53rd And 3rd
37 ( 40 ) HARD LOVE Peter Skellern
38 ( RE ) MOTOR BIKIN' Chris Spedding
39 ( 18 ) GET IN THE SWING Sparks
40 ( 30 ) (ALL I HAVE TO DO IS) DREAM The Everley Brothers

41 ( NEW ) LOVE IN THE SUN The Glitter Band
42 ( NEW ) SAILING Rod Stewart
43 ( NEW ) THE ROCKFORD FILES Mike Post
44 ( NEW ) NEW YORK GROOVE Hello
45 ( NEW ) KNOCKING ON HEAVEN’S DOOR Eric Clapton
46 ( 31 ) DISCO STOMP Hamilton Bohannon
47 ( 32 ) MY WHITE BICYCLE Nazereth
48 ( 34 ) I’M NOT IN LOVE 10CC
49 ( 35 ) IN THE SUMMERTIME Mungo Jerry
50 ( 39 ) I’M GONNA RUN AWAY FROM YOU Tami Lynn
[i]
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 2nd May 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

19th August 1975

It’s Alex Harvey’s sensational live version of Tom Jones’ Delilah at 1, it’s such a shame the Top Of The Pops footage is (probably) long gone, they were great to watch. Tom would probably have topped my chart too had I started my charting a few months earlier, but he got there eventually in the 80’s. Up 14 to 2, it’s Bimbo Jet and the wacky latin euro-instrumental El Bimbo, as another instrumental goes top 10 for Biddu.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band leap into the 20, and Rod is Sailing up to 21, but the highest new entry at 18 is David Bowie’s (essentially) funk combo with John Lennon, Fame, his first US chart-topper, funky and nothing like anything either had done before, Bowie spotting a dance funk trend ahead of the game as usual for his Plastic Soul period. At 24 (and also a superhero Womble in at 49) it’s Mike Batt getting his second solo entry to add to his 7 Wombling hits, the TV summer variety show theme song Summertime City (it was Seaside Special, boasting acts like Abba on it), and a pretty good pop song too.

In at 31, the best track off the Venus And Mars album from Wings, and I was aghast it wasn’t the follow-up single to the fab Listen To What The Man Says - Magneto And Titanium Man was a fab superhero-themed catchy tune with a great McCartney vocal and a host of multi-track harmonies. Instead they went with the not-commercial Letting Go, so by the time it got officially released late in 1975 it missed the top 50, bubbling under instead. At 36, Otis Redding’s great soulful 1965 version of Smokey Robinson’s My Girl becomes his second chart entry, and beats the Temptations definitive version into my charts. At 37, an obscure funk track that had the cool dance-floors grooving, the rather good Crystal World by Crystal Grass - it sounds like a cop TV show theme, and if that brass riff sounds familiar, that’s because it was sampled by S’Express for the brilliant UK chart-topper Theme From S’Express.

At 44, Julie Ann, Kenny’s 4th and least-good single, rather annoyingly ahead of The Eagles returning after 3 years away with the brilliant One Of These Nights. I’m often a fan of single edits, they sometimes snip off the meandering and create a taut perfect 3 or 4 minute single, and the edit is the best version. In with a bang, haunting, moving, great harmonies, and for my money their best record. At 48, the last gasps of glam rock show on Suzi Quatro as I May Be Too Young scrapes in, and at 50, it’s the still touring and performing Brett Marvin And The Thunderbolts. Who they? Essentially, a 1968 pub rock band who struck in 1972 with a terrific novelty hit Seaside Shuffle, under the Jona Lewie-led pseudonym Terry Dactyl And The Dinosaurs. 3 years later, Jona had fled for solo pastures, and the band had a chart go with this nice Rock-A-Hula ditty. Yay!

1 ( 2 ) DELILAH The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
2 ( 16 ) EL BIMBO Bimbo Jet
3 ( 1 ) THE SINGLE GIRL Sandy Posey
4 ( 3 ) IN THE YEAR 2525 Zager And Evans
5 ( 4 ) BREAK AWAY The Beach Boys
6 ( 5 ) LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER Captain And Tennille
7 ( 7 ) RHINESTONE COWBOY Glen Campbell
8 ( 8 ) IT’S BEEN SO LONG George McCrae
9 ( 15 ) SUMMER OF ’42 Biddu Orchestra
10 ( 6 ) MISTY Ray Stevens

11 ( 11 ) DEEP PURPLE Ray Stevens
12 ( 30 ) (ALL I HAVE TO DO IS) DREAM The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
13 ( 14 ) PANDORA’S BOX Procol Harum
14 ( 17 ) A CHILD’S PRAYER Hot Chocolate
15 ( 10 ) SHERRY Adrian Baker
16 ( 23 ) HIGH WIRE LInda Carr And The Love Squad
17 ( 35 ) DO IT AGAIN Steely Dan
18 ( NEW ) FAME David Bowie featuring John Lennon
19 ( 9 ) ALL I NEED IS YOUR SWEET LOVIN' Gloria Gaynor
20 ( 13 ) THE HUSTLE Van McCoy & The Soul City Symphony

21 ( 42 ) SAILING Rod Stewart
22 ( 22 ) THAT’S THE WAY (I LIKE IT) K.C. And The Sunshine Band
23 ( 29 ) BLANKET ON THE GROUND Billie-Jo Spears
24 ( NEW ) SUMMERTIME CITY Mike Batt
25 ( 12 ) BLUEBIRD Helen Reddy
26 ( 20 ) LADY OF SPAIN Ray Stevens
27 ( 28 ) I’M GONNA BE A COUNTRY GIRL AGAIN Buffy Sainte-Marie
28 ( 19 ) JIVE TALKING The Bee Gees
29 ( 18 ) IT’S IN HIS KISS Linda Lewis
30 ( 26 ) NEW YORK CITY T.Rex

31 ( NEW ) MAGNETO AND TITANIUM MAN Wings
32 ( 21 ) CAN’T GIVE YOU ANYTHING (BUT MY LOVE) The Stylistics
33 ( 25 ) ACTION The Sweet
34 ( 43 ) THE ROCKFORD FILES Mike Post
35 ( 45 ) KNOCKING ON HEAVEN’S DOOR Eric Clapton
36 ( NEW ) MY GIRL Otis Redding
37 ( NEW ) CRYSTAL WORLD Crystal Grass
38 ( 38 ) MOTOR BIKIN' Chris Spedding
39 ( 24 ) OH PRETTY WOMAN Roy Orbison
40 ( 33 ) SEALED WITH A KISS Brian Hyland

41 ( 41 ) LOVE IN THE SUN The Glitter Band
42 ( 31 ) ANYTHING GOES Harpers Bizarre
43 ( 32 ) 59TH BRIDGE STREET SONG (FEELIN’ GROOVY) Harpers Bizarre
44 ( NEW ) JULIE ANN Kenny
45 ( NEW ) ONE OF THESE NIGHTS The Eagles
46 ( 34 ) DOLLY MY LOVE The Moments
47 ( 37 ) HARD LOVE Peter Skellern
48 ( NEW ) I MAY BE TOO YOUNG Suzi Quatro
49 ( NEW ) SUPERWOMBLE The Wombles
50 ( NEW ) HAWAIIAN HONEYMOON Brett Marvin And The Thunderbolts

At the cinema, a bit of a cult classic snuck out unnoticed by me - I was barely aware of The Rocky Horror Picture Show (based on the 1973 stage musical), and it took the release of the movie Fame in 1980 to bring it home to me that it was becoming a bit of a fun audience interaction cult - so when I eventually got to see it on TV, it was already sort-of familiar. Quirky, macabre, tuneful, funny, it remains enormously loveable. Just look at what it’s got to love: Tim Curry’s show-stopping performance as Dr Frank N. Furter, a sweet transvestite from Transylvaniurrrrr, Richard O’Brien in his own musical as the humorless Riff Raff, award-winning actor Susan Sarandon singing in her underwear, Meatloaf as a leather motorcycle monster ahead of his Bat Out Of Hell, a chorus featuring UK nation’s favourite Christopher Biggins, and songs like The Time Warp and Dammit Janet. It also features my fave quote, Tim Curry’s mid-song whispering about antici............................Pation. Fab.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 4th May 2016, 07:47 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

26th Aug 1975

It’s another new chart-topper, and an actual new song in the week when the oldies invasion keeps on growing - there is only one actual new song among the oldies and cover-versions debuting. I say song, actually it’s a fun French eurodisco instrumental (mostly) El Bimbo from Bimbo Jet. Some might say cheesy, but it even charted in the USA as well as much of Europe and cropped up in the Police Academy movies. The version shown is really the B side with added “Bimbo”s (not the ladies!) and assorted vocals, but it’s great fun anyway.

Up to 4, Nitty Gritty Dirt band’s cover, while highest new entry is my 1972 top 3 track Walkin’ In The Rain With The One I Love, Love Unlimited’s second Barry White biggie of the year. Of course he was married to Glodean James, one of the trio of girls, so that never hurt their success. The track is pure schmaltz soul perfection, right down to the Barry White telephone call end-song and the rainfall effects. Love it. Into the 10, Mike Batt, Steely Dan’s 1972 classic, and Procol harum.

Going top 20: Rod the not-so-Mod Sailing, Mike Post opening up The Rockford Files, at new at 22 it’s another old soul classic, this time Freda Payne’s spine-tingling 1970 lament to her new hubby who isn’t the man she’d expected he would be between the sheets. The Eagles fly up to 28, and Eric Clapton has knocked on the door of the Top 30 successfully. At 34 Dan McCafferty is the first of 3 versions of Out Of Time to chart in 1975 - Dan is taking a solo break from Nazareth for a good version of the Rolling Stones’ song, as charted big by Chris Farlowe in 1966 in the UK singles chart. In the wake of Dan doing it, both the Stones and Chris versions get reissued and all 3 make the UK singles chart - and mine! Talking of multiple cover versions, Brazil, the 1939 Brazilian latin-rhythm classic song, as featured in movies and jazz cover versions from the 1940’s onwards, is done disco style in the UK charts by 2 acts, The Ritchie Family is the much better version but was beaten in the chart race by the quicker-off-the-mark Crispy & Company version, which is a bit weedy actually, though the song is great. In at 45.

That leaves Gladys Knight free to start delving into her big US hits of the early 70’s Buddah label that all stiffed in the UK, hot off her The Way We Were success. First one up: Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me, nice enough soul ballad. At 50, The Carpenters cover Neil Sedaka’s lovely Solitaire (Record Mirror had a free flexi disc of Neil’s original, still have it), though Andy Williams had already had the big UK hit so it was never going to set the charts alight, but did well enough. Karen’s sad songs were always her forte. That leaves the new song to enter: Bad Company feel Like Makin’ Love, a rock treat, fab guitar, passionate Paul Rodgers vocals, it was almost like Free were back (his previous band), though this was their only track to rate that highly - so good Pauline Henry covered it in the 90’s. I hadn’t liked Can’t get Enough in 1974, so this is their chart debut - and swansong!

1 ( 2 ) EL BIMBO Bimbo Jet
2 ( 3 ) THE SINGLE GIRL Sandy Posey
3 ( 1 ) DELILAH The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
4 ( 12 ) (ALL I HAVE TO DO IS) DREAM The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
5 ( NEW ) WALKING IN THE RAIN WITH THE ONE I LOVE Love Unlimited featuring Barry White
6 ( 24 ) SUMMERTIME CITY Mike Batt
7 ( 9 ) SUMMER OF ’42 Biddu Orchestra
8 ( 8 ) IT’S BEEN SO LONG George McCrae
9 ( 17 ) DO IT AGAIN Steely Dan
10 ( 13 ) PANDORA’S BOX Procol Harum

11 ( 4 ) IN THE YEAR 2525 Zager And Evans
12 ( 5 ) BREAK AWAY The Beach Boys
13 ( 21 ) SAILING Rod Stewart
14 ( 14 ) A CHILD’S PRAYER Hot Chocolate
15 ( 18 ) FAME David Bowie featuring John Lennon
16 ( 34 ) THE ROCKFORD FILES Mike Post
17 ( 6 ) LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER Captain And Tennille
18 ( 10 ) MISTY Ray Stevens
19 ( 7 ) RHINESTONE COWBOY Glen Campbell
20 ( 22 ) THAT’S THE WAY (I LIKE IT) K.C. And The Sunshine Band

21 ( 11 ) DEEP PURPLE Ray Stevens
22 ( NEW ) BAND OF GOLD Freda Payne
23 ( 23 ) BLANKET ON THE GROUND Billie-Jo Spears
24 ( 27 ) I’M GONNA BE A COUNTRY GIRL AGAIN Buffy Sainte-Marie
25 ( 16 ) HIGH WIRE LInda Carr And The Love Squad
26 ( 20 ) THE HUSTLE Van McCoy & The Soul City Symphony
27 ( 32 ) CAN’T GIVE YOU ANYTHING (BUT MY LOVE) The Stylistics
28 ( 45 ) ONE OF THESE NIGHTS The Eagles
29 ( 19 ) ALL I NEED IS YOUR SWEET LOVIN' Gloria Gaynor
30 ( 35 ) KNOCKING ON HEAVEN’S DOOR Eric Clapton

31 ( 15 ) SHERRY Adrian Baker
32 ( 41 ) LOVE IN THE SUN The Glitter Band
33 ( 48 ) I MAY BE TOO YOUNG Suzi Quatro
34 ( NEW ) OUT OF TIME Dan McCafferty
35 ( 36 ) MY GIRL Otis Redding
36 ( 37 ) CRYSTAL WORLD Crystal Grass
37 ( 28 ) JIVE TALKING The Bee Gees
38 ( 29 ) IT’S IN HIS KISS Linda Lewis
39 ( 30 ) NEW YORK CITY T.Rex
40 ( 25 ) BLUEBIRD Helen Reddy

41 ( 26 ) LADY OF SPAIN Ray Stevens
42 ( 31 ) MAGNETO AND TITANIUM MAN Wings
43 ( 38 ) MOTOR BIKIN' Chris Spedding
44 ( 44 ) JULIE ANN Kenny
45 ( NEW ) BRAZIL Crispy & Company
46 ( NEW ) BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME Gladys Knight And The Pips
47 ( NEW ) FEEL LIKE MAKIN’ LOVE Bad Company
48 ( 40 ) SEALED WITH A KISS Brian Hyland
49 ( 33 ) ACTION The Sweet
50 ( NEW ) SOLITAIRE The Carpenters

This month in the news: Dmitri Shostakovich died - I remember this as a kid in my school music class (3 years earlier) used to write his name in his schoolbooks the way other teens wrote T.Rex, Bowie, David Cassidy or The Osmonds. Bit of a classical music fan! On a happier note Charlize Theron was born, though I wouldn't know about that for another 30-odd years. On tragic notes, there was a pub bombing by the IRA in Belfast killing 5 people, and in Birmingham, The Birmingham Six were convicted for the bombings there in 1974 - wrongfully, of course, thanks to the police deciding who was guilty and making the evidence appear to fit and forcing confessions. The police always have, and always will, make huge mistakes because they are people, no different from anyone else other than feeling a bit cocksure about themselves and banding together when they should be speaking out against injustice. In the USA serial-killer Ted Bundy was captured (hooray!) and then escaped prison to kill again (see previous police comments these apply internationally).

In Ethiopa, Emporer Hailie Salassie was assassinated (though that wasn't announced for another 16 years), in the Far East Laos opted for invading Communist armies, and PVC food packaging was banned in the USA after it was found to cause cancer. On a scientific note, a supernova that exploded 6,000 light years away became visible to the naked eye for a week. Sadly, I didn't spot it.....

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 6th April 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

1st September 1975

It's another reissued oldie in at 1 for Edison Lighthouse, which had 2 weeks on top over 5 years previously - fairly obviously, age 17, I was heavily getting onto the 1969-72 period and rediscovering "old" faves (or as I would consider anything 3 to 6 years old these days, "recent"). That's bad news for The Eagles who are cruelly robbed of a number one with their best record - they never came close, though Don Henley did top my charts eventually. In fact with multiple Ray Stevens covers, and the Nitty Griity Dirt Band, Billie-Joe Spears, Buffy Sainte-Marie and Glen Campbell it's quite the country chart...

In at 6 it's a comedian, who was suddenly very hot - it was the other side (a comedy skit) that was partly selling the record, but Funky Moped was pretty catchy and amusing, and ironically higher charting than the much more cool Motor Bikin'. Mike Post's classic TV theme deservedly goes top 10, and Pilot's 1974 Top tenner in my charts is out again (and still bloody under-performed despite a re-recording) - Just A Smile is their best record, though they still had future non-hit goodies before morphing into their producer's 80's Alan Parsons Project.

The old standard Indian Love Call is Ray Stevens official follow-up to Misty, a poor choice as Deep Purple is the commercial-sounding track (see Donny & Marie in 1976), but is new in anyway, just ahead of an absolute bonafide classic as Abba kickstart their classic period with SOS at 26. For some inexplicable reason I liked it at the time (it was their 5th chart entry in my lists, 6 if you count the cover of Honey Honey which robbed them of a big hit) but I didn't absolutely worship the ground it walks on for a few years. I do now, and it duly topped my charts 25 years late.

The Jackson 5, busy morphing into Epic-label Jacksons, were getting the milking-Motown treatment during 1974/5, not least this single which was completely ignored by all, but Time Explosion was decent enough to chart at 27. In at 34, a fabulous studio-musicians single with a vocalist-for-hire soaring I'm On Fire. Sadly Tina Charles wasn't slim and blonde and wasn't invited to front the band on Top Of The Pops - they found someone who was instead (and who they didnt invite back for Dr. Kiss Kiss in 1976), so Tina suitably had a Biddu-produced long run of disco singles hits instead, so ya boo to you.

At 43, the fabulous Lesley Gore, her of gay-icon You Don't Own Me and It's My Party (among many) is back with a new song that got radio play - and no sales. Immortality was a goodie. It's also her last first and last appearance on my chart with new material, though You Don't Own Me topped my chart shortly after she died. Desmond Dekker extends his run of hits to 6 years, and Leo Sayer to 2 years, now found Moonlighting. Leo is still kicking in concert, a must-see in a small venue.

1 ( NEW ) LOVE GROWS (WHERE MY ROSEMARY GOES) Edison Lighthouse
2 ( 28 ) ONE OF THESE NIGHTS The Eagles
3 ( 4 ) (ALL I HAVE TO DO IS) DREAM The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
4 ( 6 ) SUMMERTIME CITY Mike Batt
5 ( 1 ) EL BIMBO Bimbo Jet
6 ( NEW ) FUNKY MOPED Jasper Carrott
7 ( 9 ) DO IT AGAIN Steely Dan
8 ( 16 ) THE ROCKFORD FILES Mike Post
9 ( 2 ) THE SINGLE GIRL Sandy Posey
10 ( 5 ) WALKING IN THE RAIN WITH THE ONE I LOVE Love Unlimited

11 ( 3 ) DELILAH The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
12 ( 10 ) PANDORA’S BOX Procol Harum
13 ( NEW ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
14 ( 7 ) SUMMER OF ’42 Biddu Orchestra
15 ( 8 ) IT’S BEEN SO LONG George McCrae
16 ( 22 ) BAND OF GOLD Freda Payne
17 ( 11 ) IN THE YEAR 2525 Zager And Evans
18 ( 12 ) BREAK AWAY The Beach Boys
19 ( 14 ) A CHILD’S PRAYER Hot Chocolate
20 ( 13 ) SAILING Rod Stewart

21 ( 18 ) MISTY Ray Stevens
22 ( 17 ) LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER Captain And Tennille
23 ( 19 ) RHINESTONE COWBOY Glen Campbell
24 ( 15 ) FAME David Bowie featuring John Lennon
25 ( NEW ) INDIAN LOVE CALL Ray Stevens
26 ( NEW ) SOS Abba
27 ( NEW ) TIME EXPLOSION The Jackson 5
28 ( 34 ) OUT OF TIME Dan McCafferty
29 ( 32 ) LOVE IN THE SUN The Glitter Band
30 ( 20 ) THAT’S THE WAY (I LIKE IT) K.C. And The Sunshine Band

31 ( 47 ) FEEL LIKE MAKIN’ LOVE Bad Company
32 ( 43 ) MOTOR BIKIN' Chris Spedding
33 ( 33 ) I MAY BE TOO YOUNG Suzi Quatro
34 ( NEW ) I’M ON FIRE 5,000 Volts featuring Tina Charles
35 ( 23 ) BLANKET ON THE GROUND Billie-Jo Spears
36 ( 30 ) KNOCKING ON HEAVEN’S DOOR Eric Clapton
37 ( 26 ) THE HUSTLE Van McCoy & The Soul City Symphony
38 ( 27 ) CAN’T GIVE YOU ANYTHING (BUT MY LOVE) The Stylistics
39 ( 21 ) DEEP PURPLE Ray Stevens
40 ( 24 ) I’M GONNA BE A COUNTRY GIRL AGAIN Buffy Sainte-Marie

41 ( 46 ) BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME Gladys Knight And The Pips
42 ( 44 ) JULIE ANN Kenny
43 ( NEW ) IMMORTALITY Lesley Gore
44 ( NEW ) SING A LITTLE SONG Desmond Dekker
45 ( NEW ) MOONLIGHTING Leo Sayer
46 ( 25 ) HIGH WIRE LInda Carr And The Love Squad
47 ( 29 ) ALL I NEED IS YOUR SWEET LOVIN' Gloria Gaynor
48 ( 37 ) JIVE TALKING The Bee Gees
49 ( 38 ) IT’S IN HIS KISS Linda Lewis
50 ( 39 ) NEW YORK CITY T.Rex

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 7th April 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Good to see Funky Moped here. The "funky moped" line in a deep voice was sung by Bev Bevan. Jasper and Bev were in the same year at school and briefly worked together in a furniture shop before they became famous.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th May 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Apr 7 2018, 01:00 PM) *
Good to see Funky Moped here. The "funky moped" line in a deep voice was sung by Bev Bevan. Jasper and Bev were in the same year at school and briefly worked together in a furniture shop before they became famous.

Thanks Rollo, I didnt actually know that was Bev bevan! Great fun that track smile.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th May 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

8th September 1975

It's a first week on top for the country cover of the old Everly Brothers song which first charted in 1969 in my charts for Glen Campbell & Bobbie Gentry. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band version is my fave version to date, though. Pilot return to the top 10 a year on with Just A Smile, their best (forgotten) record, and the highest new entry is a song from Swedish act Harpo (not the Marx Brother) which took a year to make the UK charts, but which I loved right off the bat. More than I loved the latest Abba single which stalled at 26 for the girls providing vocal backup for Harpo - incredible as it sounds it took me some years to become convinced of the genius that is SOS, though it was my 3rd fave Abba single to date.

In at 12, Showaddywaddy get a 4th top 20 with the Buddy Holly cover (50's covers quite the theme in the 70's, as nostalgia always works in 2-decade cycles), as 60's fab songstress Lesley Gore leaps into the 20 with new material. Tina Charles gets her first top 20 (It says 5000 volts on the label, but they were never great again and Tina was), and Al Matthews enters at 23 with the soul goodie Fool. Disco Tex is back as I buy his I Wanna Dance Wit Choo in the bargain bins and like his new single too Boogie Flap, in at 27 for his 3rd top 30. Or I should say "their" as the songwriters/producers/group-members were Kenny "Swing Your Daddy/High Wire/Lady Marmalade & other Chelsea Records hits" Nolan and Bob "Four Seasons" Crewe.

Desmond Dekker grabs his first (and last) new top 30 hit in 5 years, Jonathan King covers a European cheesy holiday smash (as was his wont, trying to beat out the George Baker Selection original) and gets a huge UK hit with Una Paloma Blanca, a pretty naff song by any standards, though I was blinded by pop star loyalty for a while. It does at least namecheck Una Stubbs, Paloma Faith and Blanca Jagger. Honest...!

At 46, David Essex back on form with a song that was obviously going to be huge the first time I heard it - Hold Me Close - Ray Stevens re-enters Lady Of Spain for 4 on the chart an actual Ed Sheeran/Drake-style chart invasion stylee for 1975 (I was ahead of the game, clearly), as US hit singles Rocky (Austin Roberts) and Fallin' In Love Again (Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds' countryrock goodie) keep the new entries flowing. Another Hamilton (Bohannon) has a 2nd chart entry, and finally Reparata debuts (strictly speaking) or returns after a gap of 7 years (had I started my charts a few months earlier in 1968) since the fab Captain Of Your Ship with her Delrons. Shoes is a cover of a European hit that borrowed some of the rhythms of her previous pop hit and combined them with a certain "hey! hey!" Greek-Russian-stylee rhythm. Good single.

1 ( 3 ) (ALL I HAVE TO DO IS) DREAM The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
2 ( 1 ) LOVE GROWS (WHERE MY ROSEMARY GOES) Edison Lighthouse
3 ( 4 ) SUMMERTIME CITY Mike Batt
4 ( 6 ) FUNKY MOPED Jasper Carrott
5 ( 2 ) ONE OF THESE NIGHTS The Eagles
6 ( 7 ) DO IT AGAIN Steely Dan
7 ( 9 ) THE SINGLE GIRL Sandy Posey
8 ( 13 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
9 ( 5 ) EL BIMBO Bimbo Jet
10 ( NEW ) MOVIE STAR Harpo featuring Agnetha & Frida

11 ( 8 ) THE ROCKFORD FILES Mike Post
12 ( NEW ) HEARTBEAT Showaddywaddy
13 ( 43 ) IMMORTALITY Lesley Gore
14 ( 34 ) I’M ON FIRE 5,000 Volts featuring Tina Charles
15 ( 25 ) INDIAN LOVE CALL Ray Stevens
16 ( 23 ) RHINESTONE COWBOY Glen Campbell
17 ( 24 ) FAME David Bowie featuring John Lennon
18 ( 11 ) DELILAH The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
19 ( 17 ) IN THE YEAR 2525 Zager And Evans
20 ( 18 ) BREAK AWAY The Beach Boys

21 ( 21 ) MISTY Ray Stevens
22 ( 22 ) LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER Captain And Tennille
23 ( NEW ) FOOL Al Matthews
24 ( 15 ) IT’S BEEN SO LONG George McCrae
25 ( 14 ) SUMMER OF ’42 Biddu Orchestra
26 ( 26 ) SOS Abba
27 ( NEW ) BOOGIE FLAP Disco Tex & The Sex-o-Lettes
28 ( 10 ) WALKING IN THE RAIN WITH THE ONE I LOVE Love Unlimited
29 ( 44 ) SING A LITTLE SONG Desmond Dekker
30 ( 32 ) MOTOR BIKIN' Chris Spedding

31 ( 31 ) FEEL LIKE MAKIN’ LOVE Bad Company
32 ( 30 ) THAT’S THE WAY (I LIKE IT) K.C. And The Sunshine Band
33 ( 12 ) PANDORA’S BOX Procol Harum
34 ( 27 ) TIME EXPLOSION The Jackson 5
35 ( 16 ) BAND OF GOLD Freda Payne
36 ( 41 ) BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME Gladys Knight And The Pips
37 ( 37 ) THE HUSTLE Van McCoy & The Soul City Symphony
38 ( 38 ) CAN’T GIVE YOU ANYTHING (BUT MY LOVE) The Stylistics
39 ( 39 ) DEEP PURPLE Ray Stevens
40 ( 19 ) A CHILD’S PRAYER Hot Chocolate

41 ( NEW ) UNA PALOMA BLANCA Jonathan King
42 ( 28 ) OUT OF TIME Dan McCafferty
43 ( RE ) LADY OF SPAIN Ray Stevens
44 ( 29 ) LOVE IN THE SUN The Glitter Band
45 ( 35 ) BLANKET ON THE GROUND Billie-Jo Spears
46 ( NEW ) HOLD ME CLOSE David Essex
47 ( NEW ) ROCKY Austin Roberts
48 ( NEW ) SHOES Reparata
49 ( NEW ) FALLIN’ IN LOVE AGAIN Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds
50 ( NEW ) HAPPY FEELING Hamilton Bohannon

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 17th May 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #48
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Would Fame by David Bowie rechart for you in 1989 again?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th May 2018, 08:51 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Steve201 @ May 17 2018, 11:32 AM) *
Would Fame by David Bowie rechart for you in 1989 again?

Hi Steve, yes it would rechart for every remix and every opportunity as I under-rated it at the time, oops! Fabulous track, but I preferred Young Americans and Golden Years in 1975 (and Space Oddity!)

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 31st May 2018, 06:51 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

15th September 1975

It's a first week on top for The Wombles man Mike Batt, and his Seaside Special theme tune, a jolly pop romp that would have sounded just as good as Wombletime City. Other than that it's a decidedly 50's and 60's retro chart, which was pretty incredible given I was only 17 and didnt have much in the way for nostalgia for anything much more than 12 years old. Pilot reach a new peak a year late with Just A Smile at 4, Tina Charles gets a first top 10 with I'm On Fire, and soulman Al Matthews shoots up to 8. Showaddywaddy's Buddy Holly cover gives them a 3rd top 10 in a row - but I wouldn't hold your breath expecting that to happen ever again! Meanwhoile Lesley Gore gets a new track into the top 10 6 years ahead of her It's My Party topping the UK charts - for someone else.

David Essex launches right into the top 20 with Hold Me Close having chart-topper written all over it - UK chart-topper at any rate, poor ol' David never did top my chart despite coming close many times. Reparata also steps her Shoes into the 30, just ahead of the highest new entry from The Supremes, giving them 7 years of chart hits with flop single He's My Man - or at least 2 of them, new girl Scherrie Payne had replaced Jean Terrell who had replaced Diana Ross. 60's folkie Paul Simon also returns, as with The Supremes, for the first time in 2 years with Gone At Last, and more astoundingly The Four Seasons re-invent their sound, add two new co-lead-singer members, get Frankie Valli on verses lead and grab their first huge hit with new material since 1967 - predating my charts, bar the oldie UK hit The Night, which led to this track. Bob Gaudio still does the magic songwriting, though with another parter, Judy Parker.

Art Garfunkel joins his old ex-duo-mate entering the chart, and covers a 1934 standard in a dreamy, slowed-down style, the lovely I Only Have Eyes For You, previously most-famous in a doo-wop version by The Flamingos. One place behind at 40, Hello are back with a 4th chart entry, and their best record, the Bo Diddley-rhythm-ed fab New York Groove, yet another of many songs by Russ Ballard recorded by other acts outside Argent and his solo career. Another veteran act also returns with one of many UK 70's hits, The Drifters with Johnny Moore still on lead provided the ideal outlet for British songwriters, in this case Barry Mason & Roger Greenaway, writers of many famous pop hits, and There Goes My First Love, though this marked the point at which they started to get a bit samey for me.

Van McCoy is still at 44 with The Hustle, and guess what, he's also at 49 with his early 60's goodies When You're Young And In Love, a Ruby & The Romantics track that became better known in the 1967 cover by The Marvelettes and huge hit in 1984 for The Flying Picketts in the UK. This version was US minor Billboard soul hit for teen singer and actor Ralph Carter (star of US black sitcom Good Times) - though there was also a competing version which also charted at that time, this was the one I got to hear. That leaves The Goodies' Nappy Love, and their pastiche of 50's teen heart-throbs in at 50. Somehow they had managed to get 5 songs into my chart in under a year, but the best thing they did was the flip of this one - Wild Thing, The Troggs song done for an episode of their TV show which was genuinely funny: "Wild Thing! Hold Me. Tight. Not. Quite. That. Tight"

1 ( 3 ) SUMMERTIME CITY Mike Batt
2 ( 1 ) (ALL I HAVE TO DO IS) DREAM The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
3 ( 2 ) LOVE GROWS (WHERE MY ROSEMARY GOES) Edison Lighthouse
4 ( 8 ) JUST A SMILE Pilot
5 ( 7 ) THE SINGLE GIRL Sandy Posey
6 ( 10 ) MOVIE STAR Harpo featuring Agnetha & Frida
7 ( 14 ) I’M ON FIRE 5,000 Volts featuring Tina Charles
8 ( 23 ) FOOL Al Matthews
9 ( 12 ) HEARTBEAT Showaddywaddy
10 ( 13 ) IMMORTALITY Lesley Gore

11 ( 4 ) FUNKY MOPED Jasper Carrott
12 ( 15 ) INDIAN LOVE CALL Ray Stevens