BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Has the Xmas number 1 lost its meaning?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
zenon
post 14th December 2018, 05:55 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 8,809

Just thinking that if Ariana gets the Christmas number 1 next week then it will the third year running that a regular entry has done so following on from Clean Bandit and Ed Sheeran. Previously it would almost always fall into these categories which are Christmas themed, X Factor, campaign or charity, so do you think this is the end of the Christmas number 1 as we know it?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 14th December 2018, 05:59 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

I think record companies still don't know how to deal with streaming and therefore creat a huge Xmas no1 - ed nearly got it right last year with the promo and hype around Perfect but they'll eventually learn and it'll be big in the future again.

These days Xmas is about streaming in huge numbers the bigggest Xmas songs over he past 60 years but that'll change too imo!

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 14th December 2018, 06:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Well, there's always going to be a #1 song on the week of Christmas...

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 14th December 2018, 06:13 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

It lost its meaning WHEN X Factor became a thing.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 14th December 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

For most of chart history the Christmas number 1 had always been a foregone conclusion as the record that was at the top two or three weeks in the run-up usually ended up as the Christmas number 1. It's only the last couple of decades where it was normally a new entry. The market has gone back to how it used to be with one exception - sales are now rubbish comapred back to then. Mainly due to streaming which just flattens sales and makes it harder for singles to have a sales spurt in the week or two before.

Once record labels work out how to work the market in the week or two before Christmas it will go back to how it has been in recent years.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 14th December 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

It’s not just Christmas .
The hearts lost their impact / meaning years ago . Kids hear days don’t care or follow charts .

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 14th December 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #7
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

QUOTE(vibe @ Dec 14 2018, 06:29 PM) *
The hearts lost their impact / meaning years ago . Kids hear days don’t care or follow charts .

As a 16 year old, some do!

+Quote this post
coi
post 14th December 2018, 06:32 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

QUOTE(vibe @ Dec 14 2018, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(WhovilleOdyssey @ Dec 14 2018, 06:30 PM) *
As a 16 year old, some do!

*Only a few care or follow charts

+Quote this post
andeeeeyhart
post 14th December 2018, 07:02 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 22,713

It's far better now than when X-Factor had the monopoly on it.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th December 2018, 07:04 PM
Post #10
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(Christmasteve201 @ Dec 14 2018, 05:59 PM) *
I think record companies still don't know how to deal with streaming and therefore creat a huge Xmas no1 - ed nearly got it right last year with the promo and hype around Perfect but they'll eventually learn and it'll be big in the future again.

These days Xmas is about streaming in huge numbers the bigggest Xmas songs over he past 60 years but that'll change too imo!

How did he only 'nearly' get it right when he did get the #1? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 14th December 2018, 07:17 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Christmas no.1 was sought after because of the high sales that would always occur that week. Since streaming took over, there’s barely a reason for artists to care about getting Christmas no.1.

How I miss the days of 1998 where many big pop artists would release Winter ballads and there’d be some cracking novelty singles about. Those days are gone.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 14th December 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #12
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

It's a combination of streaming slowing down the charts and making it increasingly unlikely for these one week wonder novelty/special songs to do that well and the fact the charts having next to no media coverage and generally decreasing interest amongst the mainstream public these days so it doesn't seem as coveted as it once was. I agree that I think record labels just need to work a bit harder and understand consuming habits of today for it to come back, and none of these 'let's get this to number 1' campaigns that thrived in the sales-only era that forget that streaming's a thing now. Give credit to Ed Sheeran, at least he acknowledged it's still a thing and worked for it! (although virtually no one else could've done that successfully).

Side note: WTF even are all these Christmas number 1 campaigns this year.

+Quote this post
fiesta
post 14th December 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232

In chart history there has only ever been 12 xmas themed xmas no.1s so was never that big a thing anyhow

This post has been edited by fiesta: 14th December 2018, 07:47 PM

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 14th December 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Xmas chart used to be exciting but not anymore. The effects of streaming and reality music shows have spoiled that!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 14th December 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I'm quite happy we have normal songs going to Xmas #1. With the domination of X Factor then charity singles, it just became a foregone conclusion what would be #1 and that's what really spoiled the appeal of Xmas #1s for me. Now that artists and record companies are aware these charity campaigns are no longer working, I think it will encourage them to start making more of an effort to be Xmas #1. We've need this period of little coverage of the Xmas #1 in order to build it up again.

+Quote this post
GTH
post 14th December 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Gareth T H
User: 10,597

QUOTE(zenon @ Dec 14 2018, 05:55 PM) *
Just thinking that if Ariana gets the Christmas number 1 next week then it will the third year running that a regular entry has done so following on from Clean Bandit and Ed Sheeran. Previously it would almost always fall into these categories which are Christmas themed, X Factor, campaign or charity, so do you think this is the end of the Christmas number 1 as we know it?

Although the songs aren’t Christmassy, the videos certainly have an element of winter/Xmas for perfect and thank u, next. Only one that really stands out is clean bandit.

As mentioned, sales are very low now and it is harder to influence streaming with campaigns etc. Not enough incentives for labels to do anything for it.

+Quote this post
DanChartFan
post 14th December 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,866

Yeah it just seems boring when it's a normal song that has been at the top for 6 previous weeks (as it is likely to be this year). I think the combination of X Factor and declining physical sales in the noughties was already bringing to an end the idea of a Xmas chart battle, though in hindsight I do acknowledge that much as I loathed it and campaigned against it, the X Factor contender at least meant there was something to campaign against. Nowadays there isn't that impetus, since even Mr C knows that X Factor stands non chance, hence the earliest release ever this year.

I still keep my fingers crossed that Mariah (or Wham! or Pogues) can somehow reach the Xmas summit this year. Looking at sales today Ariane's figures for number one have dropped quite a bit now, leaving a fairly low 'sales' climate for a would be contender to compete in, so it's entirely possible that something with a slight extra push behind it could take advantage and sneak to the top, whether an old Xmas classic, or something else.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 14th December 2018, 11:38 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(Michael Bubré @ Dec 14 2018, 07:04 PM) *
How did he only 'nearly' get it right when he did get the #1? unsure.gif

Yeh I know but I meant that he DID get it right as he created hype about a song off a huge album already top 10 and improved sales hugely and even made an xmasy video and all for it!

+Quote this post
Supercell
post 15th December 2018, 05:30 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 11,831

I think X Factor was the nail in the coffin for the Xmas No.1. I mean it was drying up in terms of competition in the early 00s but X Factor dominated it in such a way it was almost unbeatable for several years and people just gave up and targeted the gift card effect. January for a number of year would have a stream of huge hits being chucked out.

I'm really glad its shifted away from that though, even if it's not that exciting having something charge in with stellar sales, but the charts in general are a right mess anyway.

+Quote this post
Danny89
post 15th December 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 47,347

The enjoyable part was the build-up during the week. It wasn't even about the song itself.
1998, 2000, 2003 & 2009 stick out when I remember HUGE chart battles.

Xmas 2003 in general was amazing after a fall in physical sales from 2002.
Off the top of my head we had: Ozzy/Kelly osbourne, sugababes, atomic kitten, evanescence, Christina aguilera, Blue/Stevie wonder, Cheeky girls, The darkness, Michael Andrews/Gary jules, Bo selecta etc and many more I've probably forgotten.

Oh yes, the idols were favourites at first to be Xmas No.1, and then quickly we realised that was not going to happen. They eventually peaked at No.5. The battle between The Darkness & Michael Andrews is one of my favourite charts ever. The daily reports seemed anything could happen, with both songs swapping places, and so so close between the two.

Michael Andrews ultimately won by 227,500 a 5K victory over The Darkness.

This post has been edited by Danny89: 24th December 2018, 08:24 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:40 AM