BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> First baby drop-off box installed in US, ...allowing anonymity for mothers with unwanted newborns
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
✖ leww ✖
post 12th November 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

First baby drop-off box for unwanted newborns installed in Indiana

The padded, climate-controlled container was dedicated Tuesday at the Woodburn Volunteer Fire Department about 15 miles east of Fort Wayne near the Ohio state line. It’s on an exterior wall of the fire station.

The Knights of Columbus of Indiana will pay for the first 100 baby boxes, which cost $1,500 to $2,000 each, said Monica Kelsey, a volunteer with the fire department who has been advocating for baby boxes in Indiana for several years.

A second one was dedicated Thursday in Michigan City.

The boxes are equipped with a security system that notifies emergency personnel when a baby is dropped off. Emergency responders can get to the child within minutes.

All 50 states and the District of Columbia have safe haven laws, which allow unharmed newborns to be surrendered without fear of prosecution. Indiana’s law allows mothers to drop off newborns at police stations, fire stations and hospitals.

Critics of baby boxes contend the containers make it easier to surrender a child without exploring other options and can deprive mothers of needed medical care.

Kelsey, however, said that some people want total anonymity. She spoke of a girl who called a hotline she volunteers for who wanted to know where a baby box was. The girl refused to go to a hospital or fire station to drop off the baby, but eventually, her boyfriend brought the baby to a hospital.

“This is not criminal,” Kelsey said. “This is legal. We don’t want to push women away.”

The Woodburn baby box was actually installed April 19, the anniversary of when Kelsey says her birth mother abandoned her at a hospital when she was just hours old.

State Rep. Casey Cox, R-Fort Wayne, has supported the concept of baby boxes in Indiana and has been working with lawmakers and Gov. Mike Pence’s administration on safety protocols.

This story is one that made me gasp a bit as I'd actually never heard of this before. Apparently there are several countries which allow baby hatches but the UK have rendered it illegal. What do you think of this?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 12th November 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

I must say, the first time I'd heard about these I thought it was a made-up story, but it turns out they're real. I'm rather in favour of these; it's saddening to think that these mothers feel that they are unable to take care of their babies , but hopefully it will allow them to be adopted into loving, caring families.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 12th November 2016, 06:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Ahhhh strange as I was just thinking of something similar the other day when all the talk was going on of banning abortion after Trump won... and my thought was that surely that will only lead to a surge in unwanted babies and that they will need to deal with that problem instead.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 12th November 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #4
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

i am totally in favour of an anonymous method of actually giving up newborns as opposed to the opposite which is putting them in dangerous conditions upon abandonment which could lead to inevitable fatality, but i cant help but be a bit taken aback by the fact it looks like a recycling facility or something... i couldnt bring myself to give up a newborn without some sort of human-to-human contact for reassurance

and of course as a man i'll never know that situation so i am not in a position to oppose this because it makes complete sense as long as it works how it says it will

+Quote this post
danG
post 12th November 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I guess this is a good idea if it will reduce the number of dumpster babies.

+Quote this post
mdh
post 12th November 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776

I thought this was a bin where babies could be disposed of at first heehee.gif

+Quote this post
mdh
post 12th November 2016, 07:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776

but this is a great idea ─ it's saddening some people have to resort to those measures but if it encourages against chucking kids in a bin or whatever then I'm all for it happy.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 12th November 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #8
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

QUOTE(Cucumberella @ Nov 12 2016, 06:42 PM) *
i am totally in favour of an anonymous method of actually giving up newborns as opposed to the opposite which is putting them in dangerous conditions upon abandonment which could lead to inevitable fatality, but i cant help but be a bit taken aback by the fact it looks like a recycling facility or something... i couldnt bring myself to give up a newborn without some sort of human-to-human contact for reassurance

I agree, I was struck by how it looked, more like something like a 'dump a baby' container going by that picture, but the idea is definitely a good one as long as they're taken out of there as soon as possible.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 12th November 2016, 07:32 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Leww I had a very similar reaction to you! The title of it and the image certainly evokes shock, but once you really think about it - perhaps it is a good idea. This is a far more preferable alternative than dustbin babies if they are quickly attended to and looked after.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th November 2016, 08:50 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I'm shocked about this existing, but i guess if it really is a problem then at least they now have a solution to it.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 05:20 AM