BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> BuzzJack presents..., Classical - Page 16
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Severin
post 2nd April 2024, 11:56 PM
Post #281
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm well aware that Rock is not the sites preferred genre and this particular era can seem very old hat to modern ears but there's some great songwriting that can often get overlooked. I hope those unfamiliar with the tracks can find something new to enjoy from this compilation.
I've very much enjoyed working on this and look forward to the next one.

Plus, if there'e any chance of doing one for Punk or Goth I'd like to stick my hand up

This post has been edited by Severin: 3rd April 2024, 12:01 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Colm
post 3rd April 2024, 12:39 AM
Post #282
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

They'll be done at some stage. I'm interested in research an industrial compilation 😄

+Quote this post
Severin
post 3rd April 2024, 11:08 AM
Post #283
Group icon
Mansonette

QUOTE(Colm @ Apr 3 2024, 01:39 AM) *
They'll be done at some stage. I'm interested in research an industrial compilation 😄

I can definitely help with that too, if you like. I already have a 4hr one that goes from 1977-94 and an Industrial Rock one that goes from 1988-95 and runs for 7 hrs. So I can certainly swing you some suggestions.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 3rd April 2024, 01:36 PM
Post #284
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

It's a genre I'd really like to explore. I'll find the playlists on your Spotify account?

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 3rd April 2024, 01:40 PM
Post #285
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Looks like you’ve struck gold with Severin’s valuable input! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Severin
post 4th April 2024, 12:59 AM
Post #286
Group icon
Mansonette

QUOTE(Colm @ Apr 3 2024, 02:36 PM) *
It's a genre I'd really like to explore. I'll find the playlists on your Spotify account?

Yes, they're both on there. As well as tons of other genre stuff. Although sadly there's lots of great and important stuff (like SPK for example) that isn't on Spotify

This post has been edited by Severin: 4th April 2024, 01:01 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 9th April 2024, 10:56 AM
Post #287
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Coming Soon...!!

+Quote this post
Colm
post 9th April 2024, 11:10 AM
Post #288
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

Looking forward to this. I anticipate that you'll have done a better job that those Now charlatans did with their 1979 yearbook!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 11th April 2024, 07:17 PM
Post #289
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Trends in 1979, often quoted as one of those key years in pop music:

We start the year rolling out from a massive new peak in record singles sales in 1978, with ABBA, Grease, Saturday Night Fever and Boney M taking the pop and disco market to iconic stature, but other genres were still bubbling under as we move into 1979 and a gay disco anthem bringing party music and on the way Boystown music into the disco dance sub-culture. New Wave had taken over from Punk and was also hitting the sales bigtime, morphing between pop, disco, synth, rock and ska/reggae, among other sub-genres which were fragmenting rapidly and emerging as their own genres.

Disco monsters Chic reinvented the disco sound with bass-heavy club monsters that led directly into the overground success of rap music at the end of the year as a new distinct genre spearheaded by The Sugarhill Gang borrowing a certain Chic riff. Disco rhythms were also on the menu for Blondie, ABBA, and the return to superstardom of Michael Jackson with his Off The Wall album, Earth, Wind & Fire were boogie-ing down, The Philly Sound was on it's last legs with McFadden & Whitehead, The Bee Gees were riding high with their post-Fever single and Gloria Gaynor also returned as the original Queen of Disco with a female anthem to compete with the new Queen Of Disco, Donna Summer who was genre-hopping as always while remaining basically Moroder-disco based. Eurodisco and summer party anthems were on the rise, Boney M, Eruption and Patrick Hernandez to name but 3, and the Caribbean sound of the Gibson Brothers added flavour.

Rock was still big, Electric Light Orchestra were a positive orchestral hits machine, The Boomtown Rats and Elvis Costello started to morph from punk to ambitious New Wave blockbusters, Pink Floyd morphed Prog Rock with disco beats and created the Xmas anthem of the year, while Queen dropped future singalong classics, and the usual 70's acts like Quo were still bangin' out the top 10's. Bat Out Of Hell was on course to becoming an anthem classic album and single, and the immortal Fleetwood Mac were getting creative and sprawling. Soft Rock, or as it's known now Yacht Rock, was ruling the American airwaves, be it Dr Hook and The Beach Boys, or the British Atlantic Crossing Gerry Rafferty, Dire Straits, and Supertramp.

Early synth pioneers like Giorgio Moroder were not only getting disco hits he was branching out to Glam icons Sparks, they were inspiring new and future pop stars, not least David Bowie who had been promoting the genre for 2 years already, and his acolyte Gary Numan, who broke through big and set the stage for the early 80's synth and New Romantic movements, while Buggles and Trevor Horn heralded the arrival of the video as an artform and MTV as the format of the 80's, and others joined the club like M's Pop Musik, and even Cliff Richard, back with his best record drenched in synths. Meanwhile folk music was not dead, soul ballads still had it a place, and country and rockabilly kept on rocking.

Exciting the teens, though, were the New Wave-inspired acts, from Ian Dury at the start of 1979 through to The Police's brand of reggae-New Wave becoming the next Big Thing in the singles and albums chart. British-led, it started to cross-over to the States with The Knack's international smash and art rock got into the act with The B52's, Lene Lovich, and The Dickies. Back in the UK, young new bands inspired by the punk attitude started to get their upbeat, frantic, energetic brand ready for the new decade, from The Skids, via what was left of the ones that started it all, The Sex Pistols, having a final chart fling, The Undertones, The Jam bubbling under towards chart domination, The Clash peaking, and a certain exciting new sub-genre based around ska and the Two-Tone sound of The Specials, Madness, The Beat and The Selecter, which brought reggae back into chart favour bigtime in the 80's, starting with Lover's Rock smash Silly Games.

So, sit back, enjoy as many classics and big hits as could be squeezed into one album, and be grateful Lena Martell had to be dropped as nothing seemed to morph comfortably into that track and let's be honest, nobody will be begging to hear it. Some fab tunes had to be dropped, of course, due to the one-per-act rule, or because there was no single version available (sorry Eddy Grant) or they just didn't sound right amongst other similar genres, and not least because they weren't big enough UK hits - see my 2nd fave Gerry Rafferty track Get It Right Next Time, big in America but not the UK which went for US non-single Night Owl instead. Me, I was in America in the summer, so I know what sounded fabulously exotic driving down sun-drenched boiling desert highways, and that was Gerry, Supertramp, Chic-stable, and especially Don't Bring Me Down! A classic year!

Whole Playlist

Full Image

Back

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 11th April 2024, 08:04 PM
Post #290
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

That's a great playlist which makes me realise how good the music of 1979 was. Disc 2 contains more of my favourites than the other three. I'll make sure I listen to all four over the next week.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 11th April 2024, 08:33 PM
Post #291
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Apr 11 2024, 09:04 PM) *
That's a great playlist which makes me realise how good the music of 1979 was. Disc 2 contains more of my favourites than the other three. I'll make sure I listen to all four over the next week.

goodo and thanks Rollo! smile.gif

The 4 "cd"s were themed to genres so hopefully there's at least 1 cd to suit tastes smile.gif

+Quote this post
Colm
post 11th April 2024, 08:44 PM
Post #292
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

This is an absolute asset to BuzzJack presents. 1979 just bursts with classic songs from all genres. That write up is so detailed.

My personal favorites are Rock Lobster and My Sharona.

I just noticed that we've done 1979,1989 and 1999. Volunteers for 2009, anyone?

Great work, pcf.

This post has been edited by Colm: 12th April 2024, 06:26 AM

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 12th April 2024, 12:40 AM
Post #293
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Every song here is either an absolute classic or a song I don’t believe I’ve ever heard, which tells me I need to listen to more 1979 songs laugh.gif I’d guess 65% of them I know, but shockingly I know only ONE SONG from Disc three so I’m pumped to listen to that the most. Fantastic job as always

Extra love to Bat Outta Hell and Another Brick In The Wall heart.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 13th April 2024, 10:08 AM
Post #294
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Thanks for putting this together John, sequenced to perfection and a great tracklist. Musically seems like an interesting year where lots of new sounds were emerging together ready for the new decade, but also there was the disco explosion which didn't massively continue into the 80s it seems.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 13th April 2024, 10:45 AM
Post #295
Group icon
Mansonette

Disc 4 is the one for me. Some real favourites on there

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 15th April 2024, 10:18 AM
Post #296
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Thanks for the kind comments, my pleasure to compile, and new discoveries for anyone brings it's own reward to this music fan dance.gif smile.gif

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 22nd April 2024, 08:19 PM
Post #297
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

omg wat is thees

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 22nd April 2024, 08:47 PM
Post #298
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Everyone needs some classical music in their lives! This should be a good education for those who don't know the identities of those famous pieces of classical music.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 22nd April 2024, 09:53 PM
Post #299
Group icon
Mansonette

This one will be interesting, not least to see which pieces are picked for each composer.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 22nd April 2024, 11:41 PM
Post #300
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Borodin - Prince Igor: Polovtsian Dances please dance.gif

+Quote this post

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >