BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> KLF Rate - The Results!, The Mu Mu masses have spoken - "a bit of a surprise here"
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
richie
post 12th March 2015, 09:51 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

After an overwhelmingly high turnout from the Buzzjack collective (five of you, including me), the results of the KLF vote are now in.

And in 17th place...

Justified Ancients of Mu Mu - Down Town

Average rating: 4.2

With the furore over their debut LP 1987 dying down somewhat, the JAMs took a slightly-less sample-based approach to this single instead mixing a single sample of Petula Clark's Tony Hatch-penned 60s hit over a backing that mixed house music and gospel. Meanwhile, the lyrics about homelessness and alcoholism and the Christmas release date acted as a precursor to the K Foundation giving out free strong lager to down-and-outs some eight years later.

'Down Town' was single of the week in the NME but has few fans on Buzzjack.

This post has been edited by richie: 8th April 2015, 10:51 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Colm
post 12th March 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

I fear that with such a low turnout It's Grim Up North will be the lowest of their hits.

+Quote this post
richie
post 12th March 2015, 03:05 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

QUOTE(AntoineTTe @ Mar 12 2015, 02:30 PM) *
I fear that with such a low turnout It's Grim Up North will be the lowest of their hits.

We shall see!

Now, on to number 16

Justified Ancients of Mu Mu - Burn the bast*rds

Average rating: 5

The last single by the Jams (until 1991 anyway) before Drummond and Cauty moved on to the Tardis, was an autobiographical tale referring to the bonfire they made of unsold copies of 1987 after an attempt to travel to Sweden to meet with the litigious ABBA came to nothing. This great pop tune based around Sly Stone's 'Dance to the Music' was a big club hit, particularly the instrumental version 'Burn the Beat'. It's also notable for featuring what I think is the first use of the "Mu Mu" chant by PP Arnold in a KLF record.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th March 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

fair enough so far!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 13th March 2015, 01:46 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

Oh dear, I missed the chance to vote sad.gif

+Quote this post
richie
post 13th March 2015, 09:16 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

Three records tie at Number 13 - and the first is from the other end of the KLF timeline...

2K - ***k the Millennium

Average rating: 5.6

Essentially the condensed soundtrack to a one-off art performance to mark 10 years of the JAMs and to promote the cause of the Liverpool dockers. Drummond and Cauty appeared as dusty, grey versions of themselves in pyjamas sat in wheelchairs but still with the might horns of Mu strapped to their heads. The music was, once again, the well-used riff from "What Time is Love" (itself stolen from Andrew Lloyd-Webber of all people) and appeared in both brass band from (courtesy of Jeremy Deller's Acid Brass project) and in a toughened version of the pure trance original. Alongside that was a rendition of the hymn "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" which recalled the use of "Jerusalem" on "It's Grim Up North" (more on that later).

Although some KLF fans rushed out to buy this release, six years in the wilderness had depleted their fanbase to the hardcore only and the record only climbed to number 28 in the charts.

+Quote this post
richie
post 13th March 2015, 09:32 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

Also at number 13, the first on our rundown to be credited to The KLF

The KLF - 3am Eternal (Pure Trance Original)

As was the KLF way, the same handful of songs were released and re-released in various versions. In May 1989, '3am Eternal' became The KLF's second single under that name, following up the huge club hit 'What Time is Love?' (as it was to do again two years later) and was again very popular in dance circles despite not being a hit until heavily remixed beyond recognition.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 13th March 2015, 09:39 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

I thought 3AM Eternal (Pure Trance) would be higher.

+Quote this post
richie
post 13th March 2015, 09:53 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

And the third record at number 13 is another of the original Justified Ancients of Mu Mu releases...

Justified Ancients of Mu Mu - 'Whitney Joins the Jams'

The second single release from the JAMs, put together while in the middle of legal action against their sample-heavy '1987' LP, was originally supposed to be a fairly straight dance version of Isaac Hayes' 'Theme from Shaft' but the story goes that Bill Drummond went to a record shop to buy the Hayes source material, heard Whitney Houston's 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody' and fell in love with it. The track then became a strange patchwork of the original idea plus the Mission Impossible theme and with Drummond's vocals incessantly pleading Whitney to come and join them until her record is mixed in.

The record came out mere months after Whitney's "original" and went top 10 in the indie singles chart leading to a short snatch of it being played on the ITV Chart Show rundown complete with a "video" that the band filmed there and then once asked for one!

Funnily enough, Drummond and Cauty were offered the chance to remix Whitney Houston in 1991 but they turned it down due to it being "complete rubbish".

+Quote this post
richie
post 13th March 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

QUOTE(AntoineTTe @ Mar 13 2015, 09:39 AM) *
I thought 3AM Eternal (Pure Trance) would be higher.

Yeah, peculiar that - but that's how it turned out smile.gif

+Quote this post
richie
post 13th March 2015, 02:22 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

And in number 12 it's the last of the original JAMs releases and the duo's debut single.

Justified Ancients of Mu Mu - 'All You Need is Love'

Average rating: 5.8

'All You Need is Love' began just as its Fab Four namesake did, but quickly turned into something rather more Pop Will Eat Itself complete with liberal use of Sam Fox's 'Touch Me'. Leaving aside Bill Drummond's bizarre Scottish rap stylings, the track actually has a fairly serious message concerning AIDS and mid-80s promiscuity and several allusions to the Illuminatus Trilogy where they took their moniker from.

It was a pretty big way to introduce themselves to the world in early 1987 and a lot more was to follow.

+Quote this post
richie
post 13th March 2015, 02:28 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

At number 11...

The K Foundation - K Cera Cera (War is Over If You Want It)

Average rating: 6.2

Just missing the top 10, and criminally so, the only record ever credited to the K Foundation would famously only ever be released upon the event of world peace. However, in recognition of the steps taken by the Israeli Government and the Palestine Liberation Organisation, it was given a limited release there in late 1993.

The track is a mixture of 'Que Sera Sera' and 'Happy Xmas (War is Over)' sung by Red Army Choir over a typically bombastic backing track and plans to play it each morning at Glastonbury 1993 before the bands started were kyboshed by Michael Eavis as he thought it was dreadful. The man has no idea.

+Quote this post
Fgiboy2511
post 31st March 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 20,769

Hi Richie I would of voted in this! I rarely come onto this part of the forum though.

+Quote this post
richie
post 1st April 2015, 07:39 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

No worries - I did add a post to the dance forum I think...but it probably dropped off pretty quickly.

Should I carry on with the results, folks?

This post has been edited by richie: 1st April 2015, 07:39 AM

+Quote this post
Colm
post 1st April 2015, 08:05 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

Yes please.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 1st April 2015, 04:35 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Yes please too

+Quote this post
Severin
post 1st April 2015, 05:05 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Yes please 3

+Quote this post
richie
post 2nd April 2015, 02:16 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

By popular demand, we're back with the top 10

No.10 'What Time is Love? (Pure Trance Original)'

Average rating: 7.2

It's the first outing on this countdown (if you don't count the acid brass version on '***k the Millennium) for The KLF's signature tune. First appearing bang in the middle of the summer of love, 'What Time is Love?' begins with the looped refrain that would appear again and again and again over the next decade. Although initially appearing to be a departure from the free-sampling antics of the JAMs and Timelords, this three note riff actually was lifted from a most unlikely source - Andrew Lloyd Webber's rock opera 'Jesus Christ Superstar'.

Listen to this from 2:30 onwards:

Although it picked up plenty club play, the track dipped under the radar of the music press and it wasn't until the track was repackaged along with a handful of Eurodance sound-alikes (there were up to 18 unauthorised white label reworkings under different names changing hands on white label at the time) on the 'What Time is Love Story' more than a year later that the press began to wake up. With the incessant acid riff still buzzing around the continent's clubs, The KLF set about reworking their sleeper hit into a stadium monster - but more on that later....

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 2nd April 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

No wonder I liked that riff - I played the JCS soundtrack album to death in the 70's, it must have sunk in subliminally!

Lloyd-Webber inspires KLF, official!! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
richie
post 3rd April 2015, 07:41 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

9. The KLF - 'Last Train to Trancentral (Pure Trance Original)'

Average rating: 7.4

The last of the original pure trance trilogy to appear on the chart is, perhaps surprisingly, Last Train to Trancentral. Although the song would go on to become a huge hit in its stadium form, the original March 1990 mix is a sparse combination of bits and pieces the duo had recorded up until that point including sections from scrapped track 'Go To Sleep', liberal lifts from 'Wichita Lineman was a song I once heard' from 'Chill Out' and some drumloops to hold it all in place. A strange pitch somewhere between a dance record and an ethereal chill out tape, 'Last Train to Trancentral' would go on to spawn lyrics and structure on 'The White Room' and in remixed form a year later.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:23 PM