BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Top 200 Best Selling Boy Band/ Girl Group Singles 88-04, COMPLETE!! Full chart P 35
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
superbossanova
post Mar 16 2012, 09:47 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 50
God, that's a grim lot there. I actually had the "pleasure" of seeing both V and Phixx perform at Summer XS back in 2004 (along with several other acts that will feature here later - Busted, Girls Aloud, McFly, The 411, Blue - and a few other non-boybands/girl groups, obviously). It was my first concert too (unless you count random acts who came to perform at my school, we had a few semi-famous ones there) but I don't shout about it too often. I guess everyone has to start somewhere. Both were crap anyway - especially Phixx.

Surprised Back Here didn't make the list. An average-sized top 5 hit from 2001 isn't enough to make the cut? I guess they perhaps just missed out. This also leads me to believe that Hepburn - I Quit probably missed out on the top 200 as well but I'll see tomorrow. They were childhood favourites of mine. As for Back Here, I didn't think it was that good really.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
N-S
post Mar 16 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 816

It would become a hit in America for Clay Aiken.

+Quote this post
Gezza
post Mar 17 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Ciao, 911? E 'Quagmire. Sì, è preso nella finestra di questo
User: 13,341
Three 90s girl groups for you now...

VANILLA- Often described as one of the worst records of the 90s, “No Way, No Way” proved their first and biggest hit in late 1997 with an exotic video filmed at Charlton Lido. In truth it really is that awful and amateur but judge for yourself.

SOLID HARMONIE- The S H and E are capitalised, spells SHE you see! Girl Power and all that. Anyway these girls hit the top 20 on three occasions in 1998 despite a changing line up (no-one noticed) with one member (Goodmen) leaving the group and becoming a member of the Honeyz in 1999 after the group split.

THUNDERBUGS- Between a flop second single and flop album it made sure this band were short lived. At least they played their own instruments, mind you back in 1999 we liked our girl groups manufactured and producing cheesy pop, anyway enjoy their only top 40 single “Friends Forever”.

Later on a trio of naff 00s girls for you...

+Quote this post
torresgirl
post Mar 17 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 14,963
OMG No Way No Way is shockingly bad! Remember it so well (unfortunately)

+Quote this post
Gezza
post Mar 17 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #25
Group icon
GIRL THING- “Last One Standing” may be the only thing you remember but the group actually recorded “Pure and Simple” before Hear’Say got their hands on it but failed to turn it into a hit. Jodi Albert may have proved successful in Hollyoaks and married Westlife’s Kian, but she’s clearly not cut out for girl groups, her next group Wonderland went the same way as Girl Thing being dropped last year.

THE 411- Like Ultra this group took their name from an album, this time Mary J Blige’s album “What’s the 411?”. Two top 10 hits in 2004 preceded a split just a year later, members going on to be backing singers and trying out for the X Factor for a second bite of the fame cherry.

MADASUN- Another case of also ran’s, their biggest seller “Walk On Water” was basically a re-write of TLC’s “Unpretty” whilst copying significant parts of the video for “Waterfalls”. Unsurprisingly they were dropped in early 2001 after sales of a third single and album proved less than illustrious, in a saturated market they simply didn’t have the tunes.

So that's a little run down of the bands who were never gonna make it and from tomorrow we start our big top 200 rundown.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Mar 17 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
Gezza, What about "Made In London" with the "Dirty Water"..? I'm sure that they couldn't be in this list because of low sales. They released it in 2000. Anyway, "Dirty Water" is a nice song.

+Quote this post
Gezza
post Mar 17 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #27
Group icon
QUOTE(Come_along @ Mar 17 2012, 05:50 PM) *
Gezza, What about "Made In London" with the "Dirty Water"..? I'm sure that they couldn't be in this list because of low sales. They released it in 2000. Anyway, "Dirty Water" is a nice song.

This isn't an exhaustive list of groups who haven't made it just a selection biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Mar 17 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(Gezza76 @ Mar 17 2012, 08:12 PM) *
This isn't an exhaustive list of groups who haven't made it just a selection biggrin.gif

You're the boss.. smile.gif

+Quote this post
superbossanova
post Mar 17 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Oooh, finally some girl groups! Well, it's time for the rambling to come out now, apologies, I have too much to say about some of these fabulous acts! biggrin.gif

Thunderbugs - I thought Friends Forever was a bit naff really, but It's About Time You Were Mine is a very good slice of classy 90s pop. Although it was such a bizarre choice of follow-up in the sense that I don't know who of their target audience (basically young kids and teenagers) they were expecting to buy it, it really doesn't have a very instant hook at all and the whole song is quite relatively mature compared to Friends Forever - which always felt very kiddish to me, like the song's hook is something you'd expect only 8-year old girls to be saying to each other, made me cringe even at the time. I love IATYWM now but that's when I'm 21 - at the time I didn't pay much attention to it at all. It was also released the week before Xmas which was historically back then a gruesome week of releases, should have been saved for the January lull that even gave Scooch and Point Break top 10 hits in early 2000.

Vanilla - No Way No Way is of course a stone cold 90s classic. The entire lack of any kind of professionalism or PLANNING put into the whole thing is truly what makes it genius - like they literally walked out of the office and asked the first four girls they met if they wanted to make a group, told them to go home and fetch their swimwear and doll themselves up a bit then come back, while they dusted off an old keyboard from the cupboard to give them the ready-made backing track, stole from The Muppets of all things for the song's hook, then did the whole song and video that same day. And only in the late 1990s could it have actually become a hit - fabulous. I hope whoever was in charge of that project at least got a pay rise for his services to pop.

Girl Thing - Last One Standing was decent IMO and I did buy it. The group though were basically Simon Cowell trying to create a female version of his group Five to make up for the fact that he famously turned down signing the Spice Girls. The funniest thing is that the concept for the video was also suspicously similar to Wannabe, and featured them crashing a wedding and causing havoc there. The video to Wannabe featured the Spice Girls crashing a party and causing havoc there. Hmm. biggrin.gif

Solid HarmoniE - I'll Be There For You is actually one of my favourite pop songs of the late 1990s - it's pretty much typical of the late 90s Max Martin sound but it's such a joyous example of it that I can't help but love it. I heard it out in PUBLIC last year, too, which made me have to pinch myself a couple of times to make sure I wasn't just dreaming it. It was playing from an arcade on the Clarence Pier in Southsea of all places and the best thing was that it was blaring out for everyone in the vicinity to hear. Amazing. I'm not ashamed to say it pretty much made my day, perhaps even week.

This post has been edited by superbossanova: Mar 17 2012, 09:09 PM

+Quote this post
superbossanova
post Mar 17 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Come_along @ Mar 17 2012, 05:50 PM) *

Oh, Come_along, I think I love you right now. That song is AMAZING and I'm so glad someone else even remembers it, let alone also loves it. One of my favourite "flop pop" singles of all time, without doubt.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Mar 17 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(superbossanova @ Mar 17 2012, 09:24 PM) *
Oh, Come_along, I think I love you right now. That song is AMAZING and I'm so glad someone else even remembers it, let alone also loves it. One of my favourite "flop pop" singles of all time, without doubt.

I'm so glad to hear that.. smile.gif It's amazing and it didn't deserve to flop. It released in a very difficul period. I expected to read something for them (from Gezza) but it doesn't matter. At least, i found someone to love it too. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
superbossanova
post Mar 17 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Come_along @ Mar 17 2012, 07:31 PM) *
I'm so glad to hear that.. smile.gif It's amazing and it didn't deserve to flop. It released in a very difficul period. I expected to read something for them (from Gezza) but it doesn't matter. At least, i found someone to love it too. biggrin.gif

I wasn't expecting Made In London to be name-dropped here as they only had one top 40 hit, unfortunately, and not even one that was successful (#15). Although I am now wondering what the process behind these selections was as, without meaning to sound obsessed with them, Hepburn have also been ignored despite being bigger than the likes of Madasun (and I'm pretty sure there was no way I Quit outsold Friends Forever which peaked higher near the end of the year and had a better chart run, so I'm sure it's not in the top 200). I assumed it was groups who had songs that barely missed the list but clearly not - just your favourites, Gezza? tongue.gif

(Reading back this post sounds very accusatory but it's not meant to, just inquisitive! I'm not exactly crying over Hepburn being ignored, honest - though the kid still inside of me somewhere is probably a little bit miffed! biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by superbossanova: Mar 17 2012, 08:01 PM

+Quote this post
Gezza
post Mar 17 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #33
Group icon
QUOTE(superbossanova @ Mar 17 2012, 07:52 PM) *
I wasn't expecting Made In London to be name-dropped here as they only had one top 40 hit, unfortunately, and not even one that was successful (#15). Although I am now wondering what the process behind these selections was as, without meaning to sound obsessed with them, Hepburn have also been ignored despite being bigger than the likes of Madasun (and I'm pretty sure there was no way I Quit outsold Friends Forever which peaked higher near the end of the year and had a better chart run, so I'm sure it's not in the top 200). I assumed it was groups who had songs that barely missed the list but clearly not - just your favourites, Gezza? tongue.gif

(Reading back this post sounds very accusatory but it's not meant to, just inquisitive! I'm not exactly crying over Hepburn being ignored, honest - though the kid still inside of me somewhere is probably a little bit miffed! biggrin.gif)

Just random ones I thought of really- could have been any of them- just filling in time before the countdown proper begins and whilst I was finishing of the write ups which are all done now thankfully. To abait you all you can have a double post tomorrow...now I can't say fairer than that! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

+Quote this post
superbossanova
post Mar 17 2012, 09:01 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Out of curiosity, what is the breakdown of boyband songs in the top 200 compared to girl groups? Or is this asking too much work for you to go back and count them? If so, don't mind then laugh.gif I would assume boybands have a far greater share as it was always much easier for them to get any old shit in the top 10 at the time (and still is today, really) as they generally built a fanbase very quickly on their looks, but I am curious as to how much. The fact you were more strict with the definition of boybands might tip the scale a little bit more to an even number though.

This post has been edited by superbossanova: Mar 17 2012, 09:04 PM

+Quote this post
Gezza
post Mar 17 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #35
Group icon
QUOTE(superbossanova @ Mar 17 2012, 09:01 PM) *
Out of curiosity, what is the breakdown of boyband songs in the top 200 compared to girl groups? Or is this asking too much work for you to go back and count them? If so, don't mind then laugh.gif I would assume boybands have a far greater share as it was always much easier for them to get any old shit in the top 10 at the time (and still is today, really) as they generally built a fanbase very quickly on their looks, but I am curious as to how much. The fact you were more strict with the definition of boybands might tip the scale a little bit more to an even number though.

Roughly 3/8ths of the chart are girl groups but that was just a quick count up so don't quote me biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Mar 17 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Friends Forever still nestles very nicely in my all time top 100 favourite songs ever ph34r.gif The melody in the verses and the middle 8 is gorgeous and I liked the fact that they all came from different places - the UK, Germany and France iirc. The lead singer always reminded me of Courtney Cox too...

I also bought their album on MiniDisc, which is the only format it exists on as far as I know, it's pretty decent actually laugh.gif

Dirty Water is also one of my favourite minor pop hits of this era, I bought it at least wub.gif Was covered by Bardot funnily enough in 2001, one flop girlband covers another! It's a song that could do with a revival, Little Mix could give it a whirl, it's not like anybody will remember the original!

As for Solid Harmonie, I Wanna Love You was easily my favourite of theirs, that whole Cheiron sound was fantastic and this was another gem amongst the Robyn's, Britney's, 5ive's and Backstreet Boys', albeit an underrated one.

+Quote this post
Gezza
post Mar 18 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #37
Group icon
200. I QUIT- Bros (132,000)

RELEASED: 1988
PEAK POSITION: 4
WKS ON CHART: 8

What better place to start our rundown than with the first boy band (in the modern sense of the word). Yes they weren’t formed by a manager, and they wrote their own songs in part, but nothing has really been seen in the UK like the fervour that surrounded Bros back in 1988. Fainting fans, scream-a-thon concerts, and full on hysteria accompanied the band in everything they did, it’s difficult now to image the kind of fame that Bros experienced at their height but here is where it all started. This was a fourth single from the album “Push” and debuted at No 4 (big news in 1988) but couldn’t climb, an indication of the devotional fan base they had that they could motivate such a frontloaded single when that was something reserved for only the biggest bands of the time.

+Quote this post
Gezza
post Mar 18 2012, 12:13 PM
Post #38
Group icon
199. BOMB DIGGY- Another Level (132,200)

RELEASED: 1999
PEAK POSITION: 6
WKS ON CHART: 12

The final single for Bowers et al was unleashed just as the 90s was coming to an end, and indeed the band followed. One member (Kianoush) would shortly announce his departure and that Victoria Beckham was only 10 months away for the band’s front man. Still, they managed to get every single top 20 in their brief career, better than most.

+Quote this post
Gezza
post Mar 18 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #39
Group icon
198. DO U STILL?- East 17 (133,100)

RELEASED: 1996
PEAK POSITION: 7
WKS ON CHART: 7

One of the most successful boy bands of the decade, East 17 were marketed as the bad boys of the boy band world, a strategy that paid off as they register 8 tracks on our rundown, the first being 1996’s “Do U Still” one of 12 top 10 hits between 92-99.

+Quote this post
Gezza
post Mar 18 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #40
Group icon
More later...

+Quote this post

36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:46 PM