BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> For the record.
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post Jul 10 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #1
Queen of Soon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,474

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177157

For the record people, I'm going nowhere. No matter how many polls three year old trolls start. (Michael, you're excused. Permanently)

While I'm well aware that the Iron Fist approach isn't exactly popular, it has been softening somewhat. I'm not perfect, nor do I claim to be. But what I do have is a pretty good vision for BJSC and since I became a mod way back in XV we've been making strides towards it. I know the veto hasn't been the most popular, usually once you've had a song vetoed, but it is undeniable that this contest has come on leaps and bounds in terms of the quality of entries and the sheer amount of great discoveries people are making. If there are parts of the veto framework you don't like, TELL US! Pick the clause, tell me why you hate it and how you think the contest would benefit from it's removal. I'll happily look at what you have to say and we'll go from there. This new framework had a whole bunch of things removed from it and we put the AV threshold back up to 25. It's not perfect and it probably never will be but we'll still continue to review it and tweak it to try and get it as close to perfection as we can.

The suggestion box exists for you to bring up rules and parts of the veto framework you disagree with, to challenge us on things we do and to make suggestions to help improve this contest.

Currently I would like to do more this next 6 months to revamp and reinvigorate our community spirit. Relight that spark that BJSC was once famous for. While, like any change, it is important that it comes from the top, this will only truly work if all of us come together. You have a community building idea, a BJSC-related but non-musical game/event, a desire to try something new? FAB! I want to hear it! Hit up a mod by PM, hit up the suggestion box. Let us know and let's make this forum f***ing amazing.

That's my aim, to make this forum fucking amazing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 10 2015, 08:39 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I'm fine with it as it is, actually. Loads of buzzjack entries become hits (see Petite Mellor this week) even with the vetoes, and buzzjack collectively is rubbish at spotting them anyway tongue.gif

Actually I get an unforgiveably smug sense of satisfaction seeing a record chart that most voters ignore - ha! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jul 10 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #3
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

It's weird how 'Baby Love' made no impact at all in BJSC yet everyone seems to love it now. I never thought it sounded like a qualifier at the time though and I still don't think it's a very good song. Just based on how everyone else is loving it now, you'd have thought it would have made a slightly bigger splash in its contest. Tartford racism ~

+Quote Post
Qween
post Jul 10 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #4
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

As someone who has had AT LEAST 10 (I think it's 14, but I can't be sure) vetoes, I think it's fine. If you chance it with an entry that gets more than 10/15 points you're going to KNOW it has a risk of being vetoed so either don't send it or deal with being a cheap ass hoe like me.

But yeah, the contest has been going from strength to strength and even if I'm finding less discoveries of late, I think all is pretty well in the land of BJSC.

+Quote Post
Cal
post Jul 10 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,964
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J▼hnkm @ Jul 10 2015, 10:19 PM) *
As someone who has had AT LEAST 10 (I think it's 14, but I can't be sure) vetoes, I think it's fine. If you chance it with an entry that gets more than 10/15 points you're going to KNOW it has a risk of being vetoed so either don't send it or deal with being a cheap ass hoe like me.

But yeah, the contest has been going from strength to strength and even if I'm finding less discoveries of late, I think all is pretty well in the land of BJSC.

Your Jess Mills fiasco was probably the most stressful moment of my life.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jul 10 2015, 09:34 PM
Post #6
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(¡brë! @ Jul 10 2015, 10:12 PM) *
It's weird how 'Baby Love' made no impact at all in BJSC yet everyone seems to love it now. I never thought it sounded like a qualifier at the time though and I still don't think it's a very good song. Just based on how everyone else is loving it now, you'd have thought it would have made a slightly bigger splash in its contest. Tartford racism ~

It's just the power of a UK push and the extra exposure that comes alongside that, people are just taking more notice of it now than they did before.

I'm sure all of us who have had entries that have gone on to smash have seen people who never voted for them in the contest suddenly come to love them the moment they get a UK push! We've also all been guilty of it ourselves, I'm sure I didn't give any points to the likes of Mr Saxobeat and Are You With Me but both were big in my chart when the UK release rolled around laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jul 10 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #7
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

IIRC though even at the time there were lots of people predicting it to qualify and do well (which I never understood but now in retrospect am a bit surprised it didn't live up to). I know things like this happen all the time - for example Milky Chance's 'Stolen Dance' which came last in its semi, although that was hardly massively adored when it became a hit anyway tongue.gif - but there is something a little bit more surprising about 'Baby Love' in particular.

Rejects winner perhaps ~

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jul 10 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #8
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I wasn't in Petite's semi. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Silas
post Jul 10 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #9
Queen of Soon

The one that really irritated me was the complete an utter snubbing of 'The Fear' during TBO1 only for it to top the bast*rd mulitchart and get massive love from people who shunned it in IV and TBO just a couple of weeks after TBO. It's amazing what happens after something is played on Radio a few times.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jul 10 2015, 09:46 PM
Post #10
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

The veto is pretty much fine in my opinion, I mean I was on a fine line sending Conrad this month and I was aware of that from the moment I considered him, and if he got vetoed it would've been fair enough (although I wouldn't have considered it if I didn't feel it would be a discovery for most). I think it's a totally fair system and 99% of the time, the bad offenders are caught and promptly vetoed. The people moaning about the veto, in my experience, are those that would then send really cheap songs that would bring them success but not bring a discovery to anyone else, which is not in the spirit of the competition.

+Quote Post
danG
post Jul 10 2015, 09:55 PM
Post #11
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jul 10 2015, 10:34 PM) *
It's just the power of a UK push and the extra exposure that comes alongside that, people are just taking more notice of it now than they did before.

I'm sure all of us who have had entries that have gone on to smash have seen people who never voted for them in the contest suddenly come to love them the moment they get a UK push! We've also all been guilty of it ourselves, I'm sure I didn't give any points to the likes of Mr Saxobeat and Are You With Me but both were big in my chart when the UK release rolled around laugh.gif

I don't think I gave Are You With Me any points either oop

I gave Make Me Feel Better barely any points and it's now gone on to become one of my faves of the year, just goes to show what can happen when you let a song grow on you which sometimes only happens when it gets exposure from the charts/radio

Though I'm not a chart hoe all the time, because I still find Take Me To Church seriously boring and Shut Up And Dance very average (they're the first 2 I thought of as you entered them laugh.gif).

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jul 10 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #12
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

I always rail against cheap songs because it feels wrong to me to give myself an advantage in this contest by my song already being known. Which is partly why I've yet to fall foul of the system. So BJSC continues to run excellently as far as I'm concerned.

And if I want to polish my halo still further, lots of the future BJSC hits I end up loving I also loved at the time while they were still associated with the contest - although they do often grow in the loving, Shut Up And Dance was 'merely' a very fantastic 10 pointer, now it's one of my songs of this year. Baby Love and Are You With Me are a couple of exceptions, I originally thought the latter was the worst of its semi before it grew to be okay in the final, and Baby Love made little impact until a month or so later partly because I was in the other semi, if I had been with it, I probably would have helped.

+Quote Post
Qween
post Jul 10 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #13
Schlagerdrottningen

QUOTE(Cal @ Jul 10 2015, 10:24 PM) *
Your Jess Mills fiasco was probably the most stressful moment of my life.

I wasn't even the one leading the charge either, oops

(it's still the best Altyr entry that never happened)

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Jul 10 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #14
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

What about samples? Sigala seems to be getting a lot of backlash with the Jackson 5 sample yet Lost Frequencies sampled Easton Corbin (who probably has more than two RECENT Billboard hits, mind you) and no one batted an eye.

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with it.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jul 10 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #15
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Let's not compare the Jackson 5 to some random country singer.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jul 10 2015, 10:51 PM
Post #16
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Samples are very iffy in my book and they're one of the most common ones to cause controversy because they can slip through the vetoing net if we aren't able to take a listen to the song, which the mod team don't always have time for.

If your entry is almost entirely (small use of samples are fine) based around a famous song without a clever use of the sample I'd personally rather you didn't bother because you're using familiarity to aid you (in some cases, almost like you're entering a remix of the famous song!) and entering a song which is lazy at its core. In my opinion of course, I've actually ended up snubbing most of the heavy samples that do make it through because they don't feel like a discovery to me.

Lost Frequencies is fine because I don't think many of us knew who Easton Corbin was.

+Quote Post
Jester
post Jul 11 2015, 09:02 AM
Post #17
Right in front of my salad?!
Member No.: 12

No harm with discussing the veto structure now and then - I know changes were made recently. However, on balance I think things are run and operated as fairly as possible here.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jul 11 2015, 10:13 AM
Post #18
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I wasn't the only personas who voted yes eh!!

Veto is too strict, especially the blogs n featured sites bit!!

This post has been edited by FinalFantasy7Bes: Jul 11 2015, 10:16 AM

+Quote Post
Silas
post Jul 11 2015, 11:09 AM
Post #19
Queen of Soon

As I said in the opening post:

Michael, you're excused. Permanently.

+Quote Post
Qween
post Jul 11 2015, 11:42 AM
Post #20
Schlagerdrottningen

QUOTE(FinalFantasy7Bes @ Jul 11 2015, 11:13 AM) *
Veto is too strict, especially the blogs n featured sites bit!!

If you think that, then provide a list of blogs/sites which you think should and should not be included and why. I can assure you the mods are open to ALL reasoned suggestions and the current blogs are picked for good reasons in my opinion.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:40 AM