BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Canada's Drag Race // Season 1, Now with THE WINNER SPOILERS - CAUTION
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Slick
post 11th July 2020, 10:40 PM
Post #61
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70

I am finding this season really difficult to watch. Something isn't doing it for me.

Lemon is a delight though - really like her!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
p a v
post 11th July 2020, 10:47 PM
Post #62
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

This edition is so bad. I didn’t want to say it but it’s not working. The judges are flat, the challenges are not funny. The queens are good but if you have that ridiculously unfunny script, there’s hardly anything you can do really. I hope it improves but the funniest thing from the season so far was the “they will edit that out” from Brooke. I also hope that this edition was just lost in translation.

That being said, Priyanka and Lemon were the absolute highlights this week. They made it work as much as possible given the terrible script. Jimbo’s outfit gave me chills. Amazing.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 12th July 2020, 10:51 AM
Post #63
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

The next few challenges seem like they will better, next week is writing verses to a song, then it's a design challenge made out of recycled materials (idk if it's a Ball or one like From Farm To Runway) then it's Snatch Game, so hopefully it will improve week on week! Hopefully as said it is the case that things settle in a bit more as it goes, I think mostly this was just a bad challenge to have when things are still settling in.

QUOTE(George.keh @ Jul 11 2020, 02:47 AM) *
Tynomi did slay Kyne in the lipsync though. Surely who ever is sent home should be the worst at the lipsync so if Boa was worse than it should have been Boa even if Tynomi was worse in the challenge. Curious to opinions on this as I think a lipsync should realistically be judged as a clean slate- the most engaging performer in the lipsync ALONE should stay

In a way yes, but it does get annoying when you have someone like say Kameron or Coco who keeps failing at stuff but gets way further than they should because they can lipsync, Like being able to lipsync is far from the only thing that matters, but given that they've decided that's the bottom 2 format then yes I think it should just be that. I guess if it's close then naturally if you were the judge trying to decide, you might fall back on either the week's challenge or track record.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 12th July 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #64
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

I think this needs a major revamp if it comes back for S2. I love the set and I am enjoying the queens. I am finding the judges and guest host thing a bit difficult. It just seems so scripted.

Did anyone else cringe at Jade clearly reading from a teleprompter the whole time?

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 13th July 2020, 05:07 PM
Post #65
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

I am finding it a bit of a slog but I am hoping it's going to get more of an identity as the weeks go on.

Reaaaaally loved that lipsync choice wub.gif Tynomi was fabulous in the lipsync. Have to agree that Lemon and Priyanka sold it this week. I would add Jimbo and Rita to that list too!

Anastarzia's story was heartbreaking and unlike the US edition the emotions didn't feel overwrought.

+Quote this post
StupidLove
post 14th July 2020, 03:46 PM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 104,307

I'm finding it hard to sit through and to remember the girls names/personalitys. I'm hoping the more girls go, the more I'll enjoy it Gaga.png

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 17th July 2020, 09:46 AM
Post #67
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

I enjoyed Traci more in her little section than I have any of the judges all season! Deborah was great too, I have to say though the judging is the worst part of all of these episodes so far laugh.gif Jeffery is kinda awful as a judge, he's fine as a guest on the US show but he's trying too hard to be the mean judge and it doesn't at all feel genuine. Brooke is passable but doesn't really shine or carry the panel, I do like Stacy though.

Anyway in terms of the rest, that was much more like it, by FAR the best of the 3 episodes so far and tbh better than pretty much all of AS5. I always love the musical challenges and I think a lot of them stepped it up! I'd have lowkey given BOA the win, her verse was the best and I loved her runway as stupid as it was. She's really in her own little bubble of drag but that's the kind of drag I love, drag CAN be anything so you may as well be totally in your lane which she is. No matter what the challenge or runway is, she always brings her own essence to it. I can't argue with Priyanka winning though, she has the most star power of them all arguably, that instant warmth and spark, and I agree with the judges that she (again, like last week) has a great way of standing out even when she's in the background and not the focus, but it's not in a way that is attention seeking and annoying. Those two and Lemon are pulling away for me, Lemon is just so endearing, she toes that line of confidence but she's so warm and likeable whether she's up or down. Rita, Jimbo and Lemon could easily have high over Scarlett as all of those four did great and looked great on the runway, Jimbo is the runway queen for me! She always brings something totally different whilst imbuing the look with herself each time, a serve. Then there was a gulf between those and the low/bottom queens. I did love Ilona's runway though, it's a shame that she can't break out and stand out in the crowd, because she's got such a great aesthetic and sense of herself when she gets her own little spotlight to stand out within.

Can't say I'm fussed with Anastarzia going, I didn't much care for her attitude this week. It felt like because she is a paegant queen, she is just instantly done with anything else and like... you're on Drag Race? You know you are going to have to dance, sing, perform, act, whatever, it isn't just walking down the runway. Tynomi stays giving me nothing too, although she did turn the hell out of that lipsync. I think Tynomi is that classic trope of being a great queen in her own right, but what she does just doesn't click with the format of the show and she struggles to break through on her terms.

The lipsync song this week is a f***ing B O P, never heard it before *.*

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 17th July 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #68
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047

Yeah deffo the best episode this season. Correct winner and bottom 2 tbh. I don’t think Kiara really needed to be low? She could have just been safe. I would have had Rita or Lemon in the top 3 over Boa- not warming to Boa at all. Boring boring lipsync but agreed- great song

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 17th July 2020, 12:25 PM
Post #69
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

I’m sad about the elimination.

For me the bottom 2 was clearly Tynomi and Ilorna. Anastazia’s verse actually went off.

This was by far the best episode so far - went back and watched the challenge like 3 times because they all actually did so well.

This post has been edited by Davidson: 17th July 2020, 12:25 PM

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 17th July 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #70
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

The mini challenge was epic this week! Tynomi and Anastarzia were killing me laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 17th July 2020, 04:44 PM
Post #71
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

I’m finding it difficult to watch, I thought the wraps were good but I couldn’t tell you who was good as I’ve still no idea any of the names apart from Lemon and Jimbo. I’m finding Jeffrey really difficult to warm to, I feel like he’s putting a really sultry voice on each time and I’ve not seen him do that on anything else.

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 17th July 2020, 04:50 PM
Post #72
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

I'm warming to this now I'm familiar with all the contestants. I'm guessing this is how the US felt watching the UK version as it's not quite as good and I don't get all the references but it's still fun to watch! Lemon, Priyanka and Jimbo are emerging as my favourites. Also a fan of Scarlett Bobo and Ilona Verley!

I think the judging is making more sense and they are all settling into their roles. I think we've seen a bit of awkwardness as they've been trying to play up to certain roles we've seen on the original but its best if they stay true to who they are and what they want to say. I think this episode felt the most natural so far.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 17th July 2020, 04:53 PM
Post #73
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

I thought this episode was such a ramp up in the right direction - it seemed to be that all of the girls got to shine more and they're all becoming more identifiable. The judges did seem more in it this week too - not quite there, but getting there. Stacy is a GREAT judge tho. Have to say it's all about Lemon, Priyanka, Rita and Jimbo atm. I thought Rita was going to be in the top!

I'm sad with who went home but I do think it was the right choice.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 17th July 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #74
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

I thought the epsiode was good - although I don't think BOA should've been top given that she missed the choreography multiples times. I thought Tynomi would kill it more in the lip sync. It felt so weak and half-assed. Given the hair on the outfit, I thought she would try to get that to move more. It was just underwhelming. I personally think Anatarzia gave a better performance?

I hope Ilona gets a chance to shine in challenges, she seems to fade a bit in group challenges. Her runway was my favourite! So good. I bet she'd do really well in a ball or design challenge.

The mini challenge was really good. I loved seeing multiple queens fail on the French. laugh.gif Jimbo staying in character throughout was fun to see as well.

Stacey McKenzie is really warming up to the judging position which is nice to see. I feel that Jeffrey is trying too hard to emulate Ru. He should just relax and have fun with it more. Brook is doing a decent job. Deborah was a great guest host as well!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 17th July 2020, 09:32 PM
Post #75
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

That was definitely the best episode so far - hopefully it's starting to come into its own now and create its own identity away from the US version.

I'm gutted Lemon didn't win this week (or at least in the top 3) because she killed it in the challenge. Her rap was great and her dancing was head and shoulders above the rest. Her runway was cute too, and she was hilarious alongside Priyanka in the mini challenge. wub.gif

The judging really is the worst thing about all of this though. Ru, Michelle and co. may make some questionable decisions at times, but this panel just don't have a clue. I'm really not getting the love for BOA and Ilona whatsoever.

+Quote this post
Slick
post 18th July 2020, 03:16 PM
Post #76
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

This episode was much better. There were some really lovely moments and really funny moments too. I still don't think the queens are that good but I'm starting to relax into it a little.

Fab lipsync song too! Loved it.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 19th July 2020, 09:19 AM
Post #77
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

My head has just been Lemon's verse for like 2 days now and the more I hear it the more mad I am she didn't win laugh.gif Priyanka deserved too tho

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 19th July 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #78
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

I keep thinking about how natural Alan Carr was on the UK panel, and then comparing it to this. The judges are so stiff and off. If I had to choose, Brook Lynn is the most natural there and is being underutilised. It doesn't work. There is no room for an identity when even the guest judge is just copying RuPaul. I'm also now convinced Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman is just a Westworld robot that escaped RuPaul's Wyoming ranch. He's awful.

I don't usually disagree with the judges this much either. The queens are good but the judges are letting the show down.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 19th July 2020, 10:49 PM
Post #79
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

I think they'd have been better off just having Brooke as the RuPaul of this iteration, I guess they didn't want to put that amount of pressure on someone who's only a year out of their appearance on Drag Race but I think she's proven herself to be pretty natural in the role. That would perhaps solve the problem where the judging just feels disjointed, they're all clambering for the same bits at different times with no defined roles. If they just had the structure of Brooke always anchoring things like Ru does, I think it would be much better. That or maybe they could have had a different Drag Race queen each week come and take Ru's spot and actually BE Ru, these "guest host" spots just feel pointless as they come and give Ru's little opening speech then come down to the panel and act like a normal judge? Idk it's just not working, the judging/presenting is the worst part which is letting down a really great bunch of queens with a lot of talent and charisma to them. I do really like Stacy it's just when you put them together and don't have an "actual" permanent host, it doesn't click.

Aside, I'm obsessed with not Sorry Aboot It and keep watching it but the more I watch the more I change my mind and don't agree with the judging laugh.gif I'd have had:

WIN - Lemon
High - Priyanka, Rita
Safe - BOA, Scarlet, Kiara, Jimbo (even with Kiara's awful runway, her verse was lowkey fire?!)
Low - Ilona (honestly could swap her and Jimbo as I think she did TRY even if she faded away, her verse wasn't great whereas Jimbo's was good but Jimbo at times is really just not even trying and looks very cba which I notice on repeated watches laugh.gif Jimbo's runway was sooooo good though I think there'd be no chance of low)
Bottom 2 - Tynomi, Anastarzia

Not *that* different to what happened, but I just can't fathom them not putting Lemon high AT LEAST?! She was flawless in both her verse and the choreography, plus her runway was great so it's not like that pushed her out where the judging was close.

Am I the only one with a soft spot for Ilona? I just think she's got such a brilliant sense of who she is, her style is great and I think she has so so much potential in her, it might not all be there that but she would be so powerful if she believed in herself a bit more! I hope she gets at least one or two breakout challenges where she shines a bit more.

I really like everyone left bar Tynomi who gives me nothing and Kiara who is just quite forgettable though, such a strong crop in terms of being likeable, exciting and talented even if they're maybe not up to the par of a US series.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 19th July 2020, 11:42 PM
Post #80
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jul 19 2020, 11:49 PM) *
Am I the only one with a soft spot for Ilona? I just think she's got such a brilliant sense of who she is, her style is great and I think she has so so much potential in her, it might not all be there that but she would be so powerful if she believed in herself a bit more! I hope she gets at least one or two breakout challenges where she shines a bit more.

I also have a soft spot for her! I'm hoping she does something similar to Adore and Crystal Methyd, whereby the first few episodes or so she's low/safe and then comes into her own and ends up coming high a lot or winning some challenges!

This post has been edited by Envoirment: 19th July 2020, 11:43 PM

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 03:18 PM