BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Studio Ghibli • general discussion, fireflies die so young
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Qween
post 4th August 2014, 08:59 AM
Post #21
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Well, at least they can be V PROUD of what they've given the world, but obv that's not great news.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 4th August 2014, 10:25 AM
Post #22
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture...not-closing-yet !!!!!!!!

Rumours were flying around the internet on Sunday that Japan's beloved Studio Ghibli – responsible for film classics like My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away – was closing down and would never make another film. Thankfully, rumours of Ghibli's demise were premature; for now, at least.

Anime News Network reports that Studio Ghibli co-founder Toshio Suzuki addressed the animation studio's prospects in a meeting with its board of shareholders on Japanese TV show Jounetsu Tairiku. Suzuki acknowledges that the animation studio is undergoing some big changes, particularly after the retirement of co-founder Hayao Miyazaki in 2013.

"On what to do with Studio Ghibli's future, it is by no means impossible to keep producing (movies) forever," Suzuki said. "However, we will take a brief pause to consider where to go from here."

He briefly raises the possibility that Studio Ghibli could dismantle its production department entirely, but says that the current emphasis is on "housecleaning" or restructuring to improve the studio for the next generation – hence the break in filmmaking.

So Ghibli's closure seems far from definite at this point, although it does make for sobering reading. After Miyazaki's departure last year, many questioned whether the studio could keep going without its inspired filmmaker at the helm. Its latest release, When Marnie Was Here, debuted with a weaker box office performance than expected. Miyazaki's final film, The Wind Also Rises, only grossed $5.2 million in America despite being nominated for an Oscar.

In July, a Ghibli insider told News Cafe that When Marnie Was Here would be the last Studio Ghibli release. Instead, it would only continue to exist as a rights management studio, making money off the anime it had produced so far.

Let's hope this isn't goodbye from Ghibli, though. We can think of one more animation studio that nearly packed it in after its visionary founder passed away in 1966. Thankfully, Disney decided to keep going after the successful release of the Jungle Book, and now owns a filmmaking empire in the form of Pixar and Marvel.

Fingers crossed Ghibli can turn things around in the same way.

+Quote this post
richie
post 4th August 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

Hope they can turn it around - but "temporary closures" more often than not become permanent sad.gif

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 4th August 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #24
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

What about the Porco Rosso sequel? sad.gif

+Quote this post
post 6th August 2014, 08:00 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

The Wind Rises didn't charm me the way Howl's, Totoro, Spirited, Ponyo, Fireflies, Cat Returns, Kiki or Mononoke had done in the past, so I really hope there's more magic to come.

+Quote this post
richie
post 6th August 2014, 08:56 AM
Post #26
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

I think The Wind Rises was, dare I say it, a bit more grown up. It was a really good move...although I love the twisted fairy tale style of others.

Studios can't last forever, I'm glad I've only seen a handful as it means I can watch those I haven't still for the first time.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 23rd August 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #27
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

The Wind Rises didn't start very well, but the final 40 minutes are amazing. A great farewell by Miyazaki.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 4th May 2020, 07:38 PM
Post #28
Group icon
User: 13,007

Having watched a lot of the Disney classics, I am going to be making my way through the Studio Ghibli collection! A fair few will be rewatching, but some I will watch for the first time. I'll post any thoughts as I go~

I watched 'Porco Rosso' today for the second time. It's aged a fair bit but it's still a fun watch. The moment about an hour into it when Porco retells his story and comments on his humanity is a great scene.

Excited for the rest of the back catalogue now wub.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th May 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #29
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I'll be very interested in following your thoughts Bal x

I've only ever seen 4 Ghibli movies myself, (Fireflies, Totoro, Mononoke and Spirited Away, which are all excellent) so seeing this thread is inspiring me to fix that and hopefully get a few more under my belt.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 7th May 2020, 10:47 PM
Post #30
Group icon

Watched Pom Poko today and what a beauty it was. It's very weird stylistically - told very heavily by a narrator, interspersed with the characters' dialogue. The story is so simple but the Studio tell it in such a poetic and magical way. The raccoon clan are all adorable and whilst fairly childish, it has a grown up feel to it too in that it's quite universal and for all ages. Really enjoyed it for all of its simplicity!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 7th May 2020, 10:57 PM
Post #31
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is a recent one that's a bit under the radar, but an absolutely beautiful tale and some of the best animation I've seen from this studio. Would highly recommend if you want a lesser known one wub.gif I have only seen the most well known ones apart from that, I should brush up on my Ghibli knowledge, their best work can easily outclass most Western animations.

QUOTE(Izzy @ May 5 2020, 07:22 PM) *
I'll be very interested in following your thoughts Bal x

I've only ever seen 4 Ghibli movies myself, (Fireflies, Totoro, Mononoke and Spirited Away, which are all excellent) so seeing this thread is inspiring me to fix that and hopefully get a few more under my belt.

You've never seen Howl's Moving Castle? ohmy.gif I think you'd love that!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th May 2020, 10:09 PM
Post #32
Group icon

Watched a couple more! First 'Kiki's Delivery Service' - not the best, in fact probably my least favourite of the ones i've seen. It's cute, the lead character is very likable, but ultimately it's quite a flat storyline that never really takes off. I imagine it must be a very important film for young girls discovering their power and confidence but for me, that's all I got from it.

Today I watched 'Laputa: Castle in the Sky' and this was much more like the Studio Ghibli I love. An absolutely brilliant storyline, full of action, humour and charm. Sheeta and Pazu are two of the most endearing characters and their relationship is so believable and beautiful to watch as it blossoms. Two misfit orphans finding their way in a cruel world. I loved this <3

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ May 7 2020, 11:57 PM) *

Yes Iz - you must watch this. One of the very best!

+Quote this post
Travis
post 10th May 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #33
Group icon
hi
User: 22,135

It makes me so sad that the re-release of the English dub of Kiki's Delivery Service are so watered down from the original dub. I know the re-release is more faithful to the original, but all of Jiji's extra lines in the original release were so iconic. It hurts to watch the new release!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 14th May 2020, 10:42 PM
Post #34
Group icon

Two massive classics re-watched over the past few days. 'Princess Mononoke' which is damning and brutal but such a brilliant watch. Also 'Howl's Moving Castle' which has always been a fave of mine, but this rewatch cemented it even further. Absolutely mind-blowing storyline and animation - the creation and depiction of the castle in all of its glory is a site to behold!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 17th May 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #35
Group icon

A few more ~ 'My Neighbour Totoro' is as cute as ever. I remember watching it a few years ago and liking it, but this rewatch made me love it even more. So so so cute <3

'Whisper of the Heart' I had *not* seen before ohmy.gif I didn't know what to expect but I really enjoyed! It's very simple and "basic" for a Ghibli storyline, very few tricks and magic and wonder, but that all comes through the character development and storytelling (literally - as she finds her passion of writing). All-in-all, a very cute, coming of age beauty.

And now the first one i've seen, that I really did not enjoy at all sad.gif 'My Neighbours The Yamadas' - I really appreciate the style, it's unique and quite whimsical. A bold move to animate the film in the way they have, but it does detract from the beauty that Ghibli usually bring to the stage. And gosh, the actual film itself was so tedious drama.gif Essentially a series of short skits showing a family going through day-to-day comical situations. I lost interest about 5 minutes in, and it never recovered. Oop.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th May 2020, 12:28 PM
Post #36
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ May 7 2020, 10:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Hauspital* @ May 10 2020, 10:09 PM) *
Yes Iz - you must watch this. One of the very best!

Eeehyeah fine I watched it. Ghibli education restarting.

It's very good. Particularly liked the anti-war themes and what I assume was Sophie's apparent age changing with her satisfaction of life. Great fantasy imaginings of course too. Plot was a little all over the place but it definitely felt more about taking us through this weird world of magic that surrounds the non-magical world.

v. pleased Mononoke always gets a good rap, it's still easily my favourite based on my memory of it, I will have to do a rewatch once I've gotten through all the ones I haven't seen.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 20th June 2020, 09:20 AM
Post #37
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

https://www.nme.com/news/film/take-a-first-...e-witch-2692260

First look at their next film 'Aya and the Witch'! It's their first CGI film, and is directed by Gorō Miyazaki (Tales From Earthsea, From Up on Poppy Hill) - and it's set to release later this year.

+Quote this post
Cow P
post 15th December 2023, 04:51 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Cowcow no Frieren
User: 127,479

The Boy and The Heron is arriving on December 26th! (it's already out here and I have a plan on watching it when my exams are done)

This post has been edited by Cow P: 15th December 2023, 04:52 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:25 AM