BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> MUSICALS~
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 30th June 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

I am NOT a fan of musical films, but this is about live musicals / big broadway productions ;o

It is a life-goal of mine to see The Lion King musical at some point, but before then my mate decided to get us tickets to see Wicked! This will be my FIRST ever live musical experience ;o Very excited / not sure what to expect.

Are there any fans of seeing musicals? Any favourite/recommendations to give out to those looking to see any? DISCUSS~
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 30th June 2017, 04:55 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I love musical films but I have only seen two musicals live! These were Grease and Thriller - Live. Grease is my favourite musical of all-time so naturally that was going to be the first one I ever saw live! I loved every minute of it. Rhydian Roberts from X Factor played Teen Angel so I've unintentionally seen him live twice, because I went to his year of X Factor tour too for Same Difference kink.gif Then 'Thriller - Live' seemed like a fun alternative one year for Halloween plans, once again very enjoyable, particularly the outstanding energy from the dancers - I would recommend this to you Bal whenever it's a thing again as I know you're a huge MJ fan! That year Cleo Higgins (from Cleopatra) played the lead with Rachel Adedeji as her understudy laugh.gif Lion King is also on my wishlist as I have heard so many good things about the show (and it's my favourite Disney film), with The Rocky Horror Picture Show also up there as one I really want to see one day.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 30th June 2017, 05:00 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

Omg have you never seen The Lion King? I saw it thrice. Once in London and twice in The Netherlands

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 30th June 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

I'm not a big fan of musicals although I have seen Footloose and Jesus Christ Super Star which I didn't really enjoy but I saw Wicked last year and it was amazing so that's like my one exception. I would like to see the lion king and shrek tbh tho

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 30th June 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

I'm currently queuing for broadway tickets *.*

We are going to try for one of school of rock, Chicago or beautiful!

Love musicals so much and will post a lot more later!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 30th June 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

QUOTE(UltraRedLight @ Jun 30 2017, 06:06 PM) *

Omg I'm so jealous! Good luck getting tickets - you shall have to let me know how 'Chicago' was if you get tickets for that, I imagine 'Cell Block Tango' live would be epic *.*

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 30th June 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Haven't been to see many musicals, but I have been in a few amateur ones during my teenage years.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 30th June 2017, 05:15 PM
Post #8
Group icon

QUOTE(Jade @ Jun 30 2017, 05:55 PM) *
I love musical films but I have only seen two musicals live! These were Grease and Thriller - Live. Grease is my favourite musical of all-time so naturally that was going to be the first one I ever saw live! I loved every minute of it. Rhydian Roberts from X Factor played Teen Angel so I've unintentionally seen him live twice, because I went to his year of X Factor tour too for Same Difference kink.gif Then 'Thriller - Live' seemed like a fun alternative one year for Halloween plans, once again very enjoyable, particularly the outstanding energy from the dancers - I would recommend this to you Bal whenever it's a thing again as I know you're a huge MJ fan! That year Cleo Higgins (from Cleopatra) played the lead with Rachel Adedeji as her understudy laugh.gif Lion King is also on my wishlist as I have heard so many good things about the show (and it's my favourite Disney film), with The Rocky Horror Picture Show also up there as one I really want to see one day.

Ooh yes, I shall attempt to do Thriller! I'll probably get such a bug after tomorrow and want to do them ALL.

QUOTE(*Tim @ Jun 30 2017, 06:00 PM) *
Omg have you never seen The Lion King? I saw it thrice. Once in London and twice in The Netherlands

I am such a flop fan sob.gif It's one of my favourite films/THINGS of all time so how have I not seen it live yet?? Will correct that soon hopefully x

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 30th June 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #9
Group icon

QUOTE(UltraRedLight @ Jun 30 2017, 06:06 PM) *

Is this one of those stalls that sell v cheap tickets for random shows that need filling up? One of my friends recommended I do this too, but not living in LDN it's difficult laugh.gif Next time i'm there and have an evening free, I shall check out what's on though *.*

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 30th June 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

I rarely watch them but in a way I enjoy it when I do, I guess it's because of the childhood nostalgia or something ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Logged in as:: 30th June 2017, 05:23 PM

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 30th June 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #11
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Have seen The Lion King musical, and it's wonderful, should be on everyone's musicals list!

Saw a quite rubbish production of Oliver, but I don't think I've seen any others that I can remember. I do wanna change this though, Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera are ambitions.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 30th June 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

The Lion King was truly fantastic.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 30th June 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Ahhh, Bal! Have a brilliant time at Wicked, it is AMAZING and one the most fun/campy musicals I've seen! The vocals on Elphaba too *-*

I've seen quite a few in London and am a big musicals fan as I used to be part of a musical theatre acting group for 10 years of my life and appeared in annual shows of our own :') Currently booked in to see Les Mis a second time in August on the West End.

Here's how I'd rank the ones I've seen anyway:
1 The Lion King
2 Wicked
3 Les Mis
4 Jersey Boys
5 West Side Story
6 Mamma Mia!
7 Grease
8 Dirty Dancing
9 Jesus Christ Superstar
10 Thriller

I would most like to see Annie, Kinky Boots, Dreamgirls and Chicago live *-*

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 30th June 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #14
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

I've seen quite a few because my mum absolutely loves them so used to take us to them a lot when we were younger. I've seen most of the classic ones like Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Chicago, Jesus Christ Superstar, Miss Saigon, Starlight Express, Cats etc.

Cats was always my favourite :') I've seen the Lion King twice too, definitely catch it when you can Bal, it's so so good 😍 Hearing those songs in that setting is so magical.

I'm seeing the Book of Mormon in a few weeks which I've heard good things about, looking forward to that.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st July 2017, 12:40 AM
Post #15
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I've seen The Lion King musical as we went there on a school trip, I don't think I appreciated it enough at the time really, wouldn't mind going to see it again! (take me there one day pls Jade xx) I'm a bit surprised you've never been to it Bal :0

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st July 2017, 12:49 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I would kill to see Dreamgirls live, I need to wub.gif One of my fave films of all time. I do love a good musical film (The Sapphires, Mamma Mia and Funny Girl being among my other faves) but I've never seen a live musical, it's something I want to do though soon, they have a few in the theater at Plymouth and then back home there's Bristol Hippodrome.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 1st July 2017, 12:59 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Gonna be a massive gay cliche here but I LOVE me a musical. I've seen loads over the years at the Mayflower in Southampton, a few due to Theater trips at school and a few since with the Family, at present count I've seen Fame, Footlose, Blood Brothers, Phantom Of The Opera, The Lion King (if you're going to that, do everything you can to get a seat on the middle aisle!) and most recently Evita there, plus we've been typical tourists and gone to see Les Miserables in London too. Also listened to some soundtracks of them thanks to Spotify and the one soundtrack I want to plug above all else is the "updated" version of Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame that only had a small run in some small theatre in California but the soundtrack is on Spotify and there's a bootleg version on YouTube which is also highly enjoyable. It's so good because they fix everything that was wrong with the film (the gargoyles are GONE for a start) and make it much more epic in the plot.

+Quote this post
post 1st July 2017, 01:07 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I'm very hit and miss with musicals.

My favourite theatre musicals are: A Chorus Line, Hairspray, Book of Mormon, Waitress and Rent.
My favourite film musics are: Grease, Hairspray, Lion King, Aladdin.

Wicked was the most popular musical in London for years until Book of Mormon came along but I much prefer the latter. Wicked is perfect for the spectacle, the amazing costumes but it's never really resonated with me. The Lion King I MUCH prefer the film, the musical didn't capture the magic for me as much. I need to go and see Aladdin soon and see what I think.

Waitress isn't on West End (yet) but if any of you go to New York I highly recommend it. It's amazing from start to finish. Funny, heart warming, emotional and written by sara bareilles.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st July 2017, 01:41 AM
Post #19
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I have not seen a professional musical yet! And I am devastated that I haven't!

Got so many I wanna see. At the top of my list are:

01. The Lion King
02. Les Miserables
03. Jersey Boys
04. Wicked
05. Little Shop of Horrors (I have no idea if this is still on)

I've seen a couple of "amateur productions" like 'Our House', 'Bad Girls' and their version of 'Little Shop of Horrors' and they were all really good! They're doing 'Rent' next so I'm looking forward to seeing that!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 1st July 2017, 03:02 AM
Post #20
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

We just saw school of rock on Broadway and it was so good!!! So much fun *.*

I'll do a massive essay on musicals when I have more time + more awake in the next couple of days but my ultimate faves are Mamma Mia/Kinky Boots/Les Mis/Lion asking/Wicked!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 08:13 PM