BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
17 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Persephonia / National Thread, BJSC 120: Vegyn - Debold
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post Mar 28 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #121
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
QUOTE(Jade @ Mar 19 2017, 10:18 PM) *
What kind of tomfoolery from the semi 2 voters drama.gif I would've predicted this through so to see it do as badly as 28th is really disappointing sad.gif thank you for the discovery anyway! It was definitely far more instant and up my street than your entry last month. Aw at having to fly the Jadaphonia flag alone x

Hyped for your spinoff entry from: "Tangerine Dream are mentioned on the Wikipedia article for synthwave as an act that inspired the genre" *.*

Ikr xx At least you kinda slayed for Jadaphonia. x If only I had you and Mattias in my semi kink.gif glad you were a bigger fan this time.

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Mar 19 2017, 10:35 PM) *
We go down together x

(really should have done way better than that, could tell it was a grower though, that may have worked against it)

#séyephoniasolidarity (I might be about to join you in embracing sending a couple of songs that have no hope of qualifying but that I really love anyway, pray for me etc.)

QUOTE(danG @ Mar 28 2017, 08:58 PM) *
Unless I'm remembering wrong, BJSC 82 was also one of these rare contests. I'd like to think that both were S DNLD contests was not a coincidence angel.gif

That is correct! Your two contests are the only ones in the last couple of years, the other ones before that were BJSCs 1, 4, 19, 25, 50, 54, 56, 68 (one I hosted yass) and 74.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post Apr 2 2017, 01:26 AM
Post #122
Group icon
BJSC 94

I'm sick of it all, call me a medic...

💊

+Quote this post
Brer
post Apr 14 2017, 12:18 AM
Post #123
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 14/04/2017

BJSC 80s summary

Persephonia finished 24th out of 38 in the BJSC 80s spinoff in Quintessa with Tangerine Dream's '21st Century Common Man (Part I)', receiving 75 points from 13 countries. We're still yet to receive anyone's top points in a spinoff since Worldvision II but Tangerine Dream did nab 15 points from Terra Avium, the only country to rank it in their top 3. We also attracted points from several countries that haven't entered many other recent spinoffs (a couple of which have also been absent from BJSC entirely for a while) but were attracted in by this one's theme, with the countries that voted for Tangerine Dream including Land of Jack, PRoJ, Summericia, Tartford and Usfland, as well as the brand new nation Lotunia who made their debut here while they still await becoming eligible to join the main contest. Yay fresh blood. x 24th place isn't our best spinoff position but we were pleased to find ourselves next to our allies Jadakissnia in the final scoreboard - they joined us in sending an instrumental, one of the only other two in the contest, with Ryo Kawasaki's 'Hawaiian Caravan' which finished just ahead of us in 23rd. #jadaphonia

The winner of the spinoff (by a comfortable 40 point margin) was Aeroche with the extended version of Sandra's 'In The Heat Of The Night', scoring 247 points. This followed up Sandra having a surprise smash in the main contest with '(I'll Never Be) Maria Magdalena' back in BJSC 77, coming 6th to provide Singerpurear their first top 10 hit, so possibly an early inspiration for this spinoff happening in the first place, making her a fitting winner. Somewhat surprisingly this is the first time that 7-time main contest winners Aeroche have won a spinoff - they came 2nd three times before, in both the 90s and 00s editions of Dance Anthems (with Grace's 'Not Over Yet' and Rui Da Silva's 'Touch Me' (feat. Cass Fox) respectively) and in Foreign Language II with Kraftwerk's 'Tour De France Étape 2'. Back to the 80s, the aforementioned PRoJ made a rare return to the contest having been in hibernation for over a year, and they made a big impact with their return, coming 2nd in the spinoff with The Smiths' classic 'How Soon Is Now?' on 207 points. Aelandor completed the top 3, receiving 200 points with Berlin's 'Like Flames', giving them their best spinoff finish to date after coming 10th twice before (and of course continuing to get much better results in spinoffs in general than the main contest). Hushkanukia came 4th with Shannon's 'Let The Music Play' on 189 points, while Usfland (or should we now say East Rukahavian x) came 5th with Yes' 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' on 187 points, both songs having been sampled in UK hits in more recent years. Usfland have only entered 3 spinoffs to date, the last being Xmas Special II in 2015 (where they also came top 5, beating their peak of 7th place in main contests).

Completing the top 10, Mulgracia were 6th with Pat Benatar's 'Love Is A Battlefield', the stars of BJSC 2017 so far Ultraviolenceland managed 7th place with A Flock Of Seagulls' 'I Ran', Bøtanikkä came 8th with 'La Luna' by Belinda Carlisle, Avalonia came 9th with Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love A Bad Name' Ankie Bagger's 'Where Were You Last Night' and South Danaelanda sneaked in 10th again with another all-time classic, Frankie Knuckles' 'Your Love' (RIP Frankie Knuckles) following their win in the previous spinoff. 6 of their 8 spinoff top 10 finishes to date have been either 9th or 10th.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 80s

Points awarded:
18 PRoJ // The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
15 Trifoski // Clan Of Xymox - A Day
13 South Danaelanda // Frankie Knuckles - Your Love

12 Aeroche // Sandra - In The Heat Of The Night (Extended Version)
11 Jadakissnia // Ryo Kawasaki - Hawaiian Caravan
10 Suedeonia // Youssou N'Dour - The Lion / Gaïende
9 Terra Avium // Pixies - Where Is My Mind?
8 Ultraviolenceland // A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran
7 Cor Lupus // Mark Safan - Win In The End
6 Espen // Eddy Huntington - USSR

5 Flynnonda // Fancy - Lady Of Ice
4 Unovia // Kate Bush - Suspended In Gaffa
3 Aelandor // Berlin - Like Flames
2 Land of Jack // Mysterious Art - Das Omen - Teil 1
1 Taahino // Siouxsie And The Banshees - The Passenger

16th-37th:
Summericia // Barbi And The Kens - Just A Gigolo
Pupok // Mel Brooks - To Be Or Not To Be (The Hitler Rap)
Séyetana // Yellow Magic Orchestra - You've Got To Help Yourself
Aesthetica // Hitomi Tohyama - Tuxedo Connection
Avalonia // Ankie Bagger - Where Were You Last Night
Usfland // Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Fljótavík // Stu Phillips - Knight Rider Main Title
Lotunia // Radka Toneff and Steve Dobrogosz - The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
Altyr Muunilinst // Olivia Newton-John - Twist Of Fate
Ramrynia // ABBA - The Visitors
Tartford // Scarlet Fantastic - No Memory
Hushkanukkia // Shannon - Let The Music Play
République d'Ashton // Joan Jett And The Blackhearts - I Hate Myself For Loving You
Harmonica // Scandal - The Warrior
Beaverdonia // Pimpinela - Olvidame Y Pega La Vuelta
Niceland // The Kane Gang - Don't Look Any Further
Cadelicia // Cyndi Lauper - The Goonies 'R' Good Enough
Mulgracia // Pat Benatar - Love Is A Battlefield
Bøtanikkä // Belinda Carlisle - La Luna
Quintessa // Patti LaBelle - New Attitude
FSR Rontvia // Style - Dover-Calais
St. Burbia // Letitia Dean and Paul Medford - Something Outa Nothing

Once again it has taken us a while to post this summary oop~ and as such we have already confirmed for the next spinoff. The theme this time is Japan vs. South Korea, with Cadelicia serving as the hosts. Persephonia have confirmed a track we've had in our potential list for some time and now have a good excuse to send...

Persephonia hoping for a trip to success in BJSC 94 with KNARS

editor's note: KNARS were known by the name Knarsetand during the original contest, I've edited the posts in this thread and other stats-related threads to refer to the new name instead x

BJSC 94 has kicked off, with last month's winners Ultraviolenceland due to host the final again, while leaving semi-final hosting duties in the capable hands of their co-hosts Hushkanukia (semi-final 1) and Unovia (semi-final 2). Persephonia are hoping to return to the BJSC final after our misfire last month, with our 73rd main contest entry 'Bad Trip' by KNARS, a 7-strong group from the Netherlands. In contrast to our archival choice last month, 'Bad Trip' is a brand new release, coming out just days before confirmations opened for this contest (and thus forcing the Persephonian BJSC Committee into a late change of entry). It is presumably the lead single from an upcoming 2nd album from KNARS, following up their 2014 debut 'My Escape' and a 2015 EP 'Fantasy'. This entry is our second of the year by a Dutch act, two months after End Of The Dream's 'Colder', and our third in all.

KNARS' music is a mish-mash of many genres from breakbeat/drum n bass to reggae/ska to garage punk to hip-hop. 'Bad Trip' is a ska and rap-influenced big beat track very much in the vein of The Prodigy (listed as an influence on their Facebook page alongside the likes of Pendulum, Chase And Status and Rage Against The Machine), a sound that Persephonia has wanted to send for a while but failed to come across inspired examples of until now. As if sounding like The Prodigy wasn't selling it to the Persephonian BJSC Committee enough already, it's also equipped with a brutal and brilliant music video which is clearly heavily inspired by that of The Prodigy's 'Smack My Bitch Up', featuring a first-person view of a man making his way through an 'insane setting' to try and find his lost daughter, along the way getting involved in a fist fight and taking part in a round of Russian roulette (viewer discretion is advised: someone loses x). Watch the video below, and remember, don't do drugs kids x

Sadly the music video is only for a slightly shorter version of the song, click here for the official audio of the full version, it's worth the extra minute and a bit. 'Bad Trip' has been drawn in slot 10 of 33 in semi-final 2, any and all support is appreciated!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Apr 14 2017, 12:27 AM
Post #124
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
'Bad Trip' is SO good. My favourite entry of yours in 2017! 'Happy End Of The World' is of course amazing too but I think that had less strong competition. I just cannot resist those The Prodigy vibes, slay me with your high octane banger wub.gif The plug reception for it was brilliant, I know you should take it with a pinch of salt but lots of strong favourable opinions were shown so I hope this can translate into success. I am sure you'll breeze through to the final and I hope to see you back in the top 10 for the first time in a while!!

QUOTE(Bré 🐱 @ Apr 14 2017, 01:18 AM) *
24th place isn't our best spinoff position but we were pleased to find ourselves next to our allies Jadakissnia in the final scoreboard - they joined us in sending an instrumental, one of the only other two in the contest, with Ryo Kawasaki's 'Hawaiian Caravan' which finished just ahead of us in 23rd. #jadaphonia

wub.gif definitely the highlight of the spinoff tbh x

Really pleased that you took to 'Hawaiian Caravan' so much and your entry was a real highlight of the spinoff too. #instrumentalbloc ftw x

+Quote this post
Brer
post Apr 15 2017, 10:31 PM
Post #125
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 15/04/2017

KNARS return us to the final!

Persephonia have avoided starting a DNQ streak again as KNARS' 'Bad Trip' has qualified for the final of BJSC 94 in 1989VideoCoast, Ultraviolenceland, our 54th finalist! This puts us back on the list of active qualification streaks (right at the bottom again of course but huzzah for getting back on it promptly after last month's failure). Unovia, an early favourite to win this contest, of course had no issues making it through, continuing to lead the list with their 12th qualifier in a row. Bøtanikkä and Harmonica both lost their streaks, leaving two runners-up to Unovia, with both Aeroche and Cor Lupus qualifying for the 8th time in a row. 'Bad Trip' is up early in the final running order, appearing as song 2 of 41!

Unfortunately for the second month in a row we lost both our 8 pointer and our 7 pointer in our semi-final: sporadic entrants Pagasa made another return this month but sadly fell short again with 80s gem 'The Downtown Lights' by The Blue Nile, our bronze medallist. Our 7 points went to Terra Avium who fell heartbreakingly short of the final (losing out on a tiebreak) with their latest spooky instrumental, Varien's 'Lilith'. Aside from these two we also lost our 2 pointer, Apocalyptica's 'Faraway Vol. 2' (feat. Linda Sundblad and Dave Lombardo) representing Land of DW. Over in semi-final 1, Persephonian voters also have to sadly wave goodbye to 3 of their top 10: another returning nation Ajanaeda were ranked 5th for us with Hundred Waters' 'Xtalk', while Skall had another Nordic hip-hop DNQ with Kjartan Lauritzen's 'Fredag', ranked 7th by us (the song had a 33% deduction for Skall not voting on time but would have DNQed regardless) and Avalonia's soundtrack instrumental entry 'The Winter Soldier' by Henry Jackman finished in last place in the semi-final with just 9 points, after being ranked 8th by the Persephonian public.

Persephonia go orchestral for Japan vs. South Korea

Tonight has also seen the unveiling of the entries in the BJSC Japan vs. South Korea spinoff in Cadelicia. We have chosen to go with a Japanese act (as did most people, as only 8 of the 26 entries are Korean!) but perhaps a slightly ~unorthodox~ one. Taking some inspiration from FSR Rontvia's recent BJSC entry 'Super Mario Bros.', the Persephonian BJSC Committee chose to revive a piece of music they'd considered sending to BJSC before, the theme music to the Gusty Garden Galaxy from the 2007 Nintendo Wii title Super Mario Galaxy. The music is taken from the game's official soundtrack, released as a Japanese Club Nintendo (RIP) exclusive in 2008 and credited to Mario Galaxy Orchestra (composed by Mahito Yokota).

Like the rest of the game's soundtrack, it is a full orchestral production, and it's a second consecutive instrumental spinoff entry from Persephonia. Galaxy has plenty of great music in it but this theme in particular has always stood out to us as a proper beauty, we hope that some people will enjoy it even without the context of the game it comes from. Have a listen below:

'Gusty Garden Galaxy' appears as song 24 in the spinoff.

edit: video link replaced as the old one got taken down x

~

QUOTE(Jade �� @ Apr 14 2017, 01:27 AM) *
'Bad Trip' is SO good. My favourite entry of yours in 2017! 'Happy End Of The World' is of course amazing too but I think that had less strong competition. I just cannot resist those The Prodigy vibes, slay me with your high octane banger wub.gif The plug reception for it was brilliant, I know you should take it with a pinch of salt but lots of strong favourable opinions were shown so I hope this can translate into success. I am sure you'll breeze through to the final and I hope to see you back in the top 10 for the first time in a while!!

Oh I wish @ it being a top 10, I have fingers crossed it might be my first top 20 of the year though! V glad you're such a fan again anyway x

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post Apr 16 2017, 03:19 AM
Post #126
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664
Bad Trip is actually a fairly good trip. x

It's weird but fantastic.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Apr 30 2017, 01:20 AM
Post #127
Group icon
BJSC 95

BJSC 94 / Japan vs. South Korea summaries & rankings coming soon but yay at top 20 and top 10 respectively x

also more of our 2016 EOY will be done in time. I have exam revision to procrastinate on after all

+Quote this post
Brer
post May 10 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #128
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 10/05/2017
coursework-delayed catchup edition [1/2]

BJSC 94 summary

- In the final of BJSC 94 in 1989VideoCoast, Ultraviolenceland, KNARS' 'Bad Trip' earned us our biggest hit of the year so far, finishing 19th out of 41, our first top 20 hit of 2017 and with year to date highs of 197 points and 23 voters. 'Bad Trip' was our first finalist for a while (since Digitalism's 'Blitz' in BJSC 82) to not earn any country's top points, but it did rank in the medal positions for 5 countries, receiving 15 points each from Bøtanikkä, East Rukahavian and Thelonia and 13 each from Buzzjack Mountain and Jadakissnia. Our last entry to get more than 4 votes in the medal positions was Color Guard's 'In Your Bones' in BJSC 85 with 7 such votes. 'Bad Trip' was revealed to have come 11th out of 33 in semi-final 2 with 74 points (two more than End Of The Dream's 'Colder' but finishing in a lower position), which gave it a projected final position of 23rd.

- Back in BJSC 59, The Kite String Tangle's 'Given The Chance' became Trifoski's 2nd winner, narrowly beating D'yermak'er's entry 'Embrace' by Goldroom. Neither country had been seen in the top 3 since then but now, over three years later, BJSC 94 turned out to be a rematch. In the end history repeated and Trifoski prevailed again, earning their third win with Drones Club's 'Hurricane' on a total of 327 points, ending a much longer win drought than their last one (they only had to wait three months after they first won with Ghost Loft's 'So High' in BJSC 56), meaning BJSC 95 is currently taking place in Trifoskian capital Mrkyvka. This marked Trifoski's 3rd top 10 hit out of their last 5 entries and their 12th top 10 hit in total to date. D'yermak'er settled for the silver medal again with Oh Wonder's 'Ultralife' which received 315 points; they are yet to win a main contest, this being their 13th top 10 hit and their third medallist following 'Embrace' and SZA's 'Julia' which came third one contest before that.

- Like both of the top 2, the country that came 3rd also earnt its 3rd medal position, but have done it considerably quicker, having debuted in BJSC 74 and first coming top 3 only as recently as BJSC 88. It is of course Jadakissnia, who received 290 points to finish in the bronze medal slot with BÖ's 'Waqqaberry', lifting their tally of top 10 hits to nine and following none other than us in landing an Arabic-language track in the BJSC top 3 *.* though not quite going all the way to #1 like we did with A-WA's 'Habib Galbi'. Ojnoj - a returning country this month after two months out - have been absent from the BJSC top 10 almost as long as Trifoski and D'yermak'er from the top 3, last finishing in the top tier in BJSC 60 with Christian Burns, Paul Oakenfold and JES' 'As We Collide' (9th). It's been even longer since their last top 5, fourth-placed 'Like Home' by Nicky Romero and NERVO in BJSC 52. They matched that position this time around with SAARA's 'Superpowers' on a total of 284 points, their 11th top 10 hit. Completing the top 5 was a third country matching their highest finish to date, Singerpurear with Vitalic's 'Waiting For The Stars' (feat. David Shaw And The Beat) on 270 points, an emphatic return to the final after they had started building up a DNQ streak again (failing to make the final with their previous 4 entries), giving them their fourth top 10 hit and matching Kishi Bashi's 'I Am The Antichrist To You' which also came 5th in BJSC 78. It's worth noting though that that only came top 5 following Aquafina's disqualification that month, so 'Waiting For The Stars' is arguably their first real top 5 finish. It received 18 points from 5 countries, more than any other song in this contest.

- The last 4 BJSC winners had all also been semi-final winners, and the first six semi-final winners of 2017 all came at least 4th in the final. Not so this time around: semi-final 1 winner 'Kings & Queens' by Brooke Fraser, representing Unovia, was heavily tipped to win the contest but ultimately came 'only' 6th (Unovia's 13th top 10 hit) while the winner of semi-final 2, and projected winner of the contest based on points scored in the semi-finals, was FARC's entry 'Bad Things' by Noella Nix which settled for 7th place (nonetheless making FARC the only country from BJSC 93's top 10 to come top 10 again in BJSC 94, and becoming FARC's 11th top 10 hit in total). The actual winner had the opposite trajectory: 'Hurricane' finished only 6th in its semi-final. BJSC 74 was the last contest whose top 5 contained neither semi-final winner (in fact that time both semi-final winners somehow ended up outside the final top 15). In recent years, Hendinia DNQing has usually been accompanied by them not voting in the final and subsequently sitting out the following contest, but this wasn't the case following their BJSC 93 DNQ and they've instead followed it with a top 10 hit, coming 8th with Dolly Style's 'Bye Bye Bby Boo', their second top 10 of the year and 36th in total. Dobago earnt their 6th top 10 hit to date with Sagi Abitbul's 'Mariko' coming 9th (only five contests after Abitbul came 4th for Bøtanikkä with Guy Haliva collaboration 'Stanga', and clearly he spied a winning formula with that track as 'Mariko' has near identical structure even down to the Bulgarian folk vocal sample!) and the top 10 was completed by kings of top 10 scraping Hushkanukia with another foreign language track, Oonagh's 'Aulë Und Yavanna', also their 6th top 10 hit with the last five all coming either 9th or 10th. 'Aulë Und Yavanna' was the most successful of 4 German language entries in this contest, just about beating Espen entry 'Instance Of Time' by Mark Dekoda (11th place), while Pupok came 21st with Jennifer Rostock's 'Schlaflos', a decent performance for a near six minute foreign language rock song but underwhelming compared to some early predictions, and New Lexico were a slightly surprising DNQ with Glasperlenspiel's 'Geiles Leben'.

- Two countries set new national bests in BJSC 94. Alteria were one of four countries who made their debut in BJSC 51, alongside D'yermak'er, Singerpurear and Trifoski. So in the month that all three of those revisited their own national bests, it was only appropriate that sporadic participants Alteria were back again and also at their peak, as they managed to make it to the final for the first time ever (it was fourth time lucky for them after previous attempts in BJSCs 51, 67 and 87 fell short of the final). Confidence Man's 'Bubblegum' finished 28th in Alteria's maiden final. Unfortunately getting a qualifier still hasn't been enough to convince them to stick around for more than a month at a time but there is hope for the near future (and they did show up in last month's spinoff as well, although ended up coming last there - maybe this is why they've been scared off again??) The other country officially registering a new peak was Aelandor, coming 34th with Port Blue's 'Up Ship!', two places higher than their last new peak set one month earlier with Breanne Düren's 'Dear Adelaide'. However, it later became clear that even though 'Up Ship!' outperformed all of Aelandor's previous legitimate qualifiers, it actually shouldn't have been in the final at all, making it through by way of a ~clerical error~ (over rightful qualifier 'Lilith' by Varien, Terra Avium's entry). Oops. Let's just appreciate that even though it shouldn't have been there, 'Up Ship!' was a wonderful finalist and a much deserved new peak, much as we weep for 'Lilith'. And let's also not mention the other Aelandor-related clerical error that also occurred in BJSC 94. ph34r.gif There was also one country making its debut appearance in BJSC 94 - Rolloland took the bold choice of starting their BJSC career with a 9 minute progressive rock track, 'Routine' by Steven Wilson. Perhaps aided by a beautiful and hard-hitting music video, the gamble paid off as they finished a very solid 12th place in their first contest (and also immediately earned the coveted honour of receiving 18s from both Persephonia and Jadakissnia <3).

- With no countries banned for this contest and only two (Beaverdonia and Deandria) bowing out of their own accord, participation numbers grew to their highest of the year with 67 entries. As well as Rolloland's debut and the previously mentioned returns of Ojnoj and Alteria, there were 5 other returning nations, though the only one to qualify for the final was Republic of Adonia who were back from serving another one-month non-voting ban and came 39th with Sabrina Carpenter's 'Smoke And Fire'. Thelonia came back from a ban as well but fell miles short of the final this time. We were treated to another (brilliant) entry from Pagasa although like with their last attempted comeback in BJSC 90 they DNQed and subsequently didn't vote in the final, so now face another one month ban. Also returning only to DNQ and then get themselves banned again for not voting in the final was Ajanaeda. A third country, Mulgracia, also didn't vote in the final and were thus banned from BJSC 95 but it seems for the time being that we may have seen the last of them (bearing in mind this happened once before and they ended up returning fairly swiftly). Finally, we also had another comeback after a long absence from Mezidinia - they sat out the last 21 contests, and their last entry was itself a return after sitting out 13 contests. Their latest comeback, like the last, failed to qualify, and indeed they have still only qualified once ever (with M.O's 'Ain't Got Time', 14th in BJSC 53), while DNQing now 11 times. They are sticking around for at least one more contest this time though so there is hope for a second Mezidinia qualifier in the near future. The country previously known as Usfland rebranded to East Rukahavian in this contest; their first entry under the new moniker also fell well short of the final, as the country is no stranger to doing.

- The wooden spoon in BJSC 94, finishing 41st out of 41, was Yehesi's entry 'Walk Away' by Ella On The Run. 'Walk Away' actually qualified in 18th place in its semi-final with 50 points but only barely improved on that total in the final despite having twice the number of potential voters and the 18 point system instead of the 12 point system, its final points total being 58. That's a new low for a non-deducted song since the current contest format (using the 12 point system in the semi-finals and the 18 point system in the final) was introduced in BJSC 74, the previous low water mark being the 59 points received by Tartford entry 'Reaction' by Alex Gaudino and Jerma in BJSC 84. (Medhelnia came last in BJSC 90 with Blitz//Berlin's 'Surfboard Fire' on just 45 points, but notably this was an auto-qualifier, and was also subject to a 30% deduction, having originally scored 64 points). The only other country to fall short of 100 points was Kylienips, 40th place on 94 points with Phil Good's 'Growing Up'.

- Other noteworthy results: Taahino notched up their first top 20 hit of the year, coming 20th with SAINTE's 'With Or Without Me', bringing their tally of top 20 hits up to 9 while they are still yet to finish higher than 14th; FSR Rontvia came 26th with Huntza's 'Aldapan Gora' which is not statistically interesting but worth a mention just because it is a BJSC entry in the Basque language *.*; Bignia-Zaragovina improved further on their previous finish and came 29th with Sabina Ddumba's 'Did It For The Fame', their first top 30 hit since BJSC 74; Ultraviolenceland's run of four top 10s in a row came to a halt with their auto-qualifying entry 'Shotgun' by Rebecca & Fiona finishing a mediocre 31st, after three previous BJSC entries by Rebecca & Fiona finished between 21st and 27th.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 94

Final

Points awarded:
18 Rolloland // Steven Wilson - Routine
15 Aelandor // Port Blue - Up Ship!
13 Singerpurear // Vitalic - Waiting For The Stars (feat. David Shaw And The Beat)

12 Jadakissnia // BÖ - Waqqaberry
11 Quintessa // Driftmoon - Genesis (feat. DSharp)
10 Espen // Mark Dekoda - Instance Of Time
9 Séyetana // Epica - Beyond The Matrix
8 Hushkanukia // Oonagh - Aulë Und Yavanna
7 #00274E // X0809 - HO
6 Alteria // Confidence Man - Bubblegum

5 Aeroche // Merely - Backdraft
4 Trifoski // Drones Club - Hurricane
3 Oslol // Moment - Indigo
2 Azure // GNUČČI - Finders Keepers
1 FSR Rontvia // Huntza - Aldapan Gora

16th-40th:
Pupok // Jennifer Rostock - Schlaflos
Aesthetica // Lil Debbie - Push (feat. Moksi)
Dobago // Sagi Abitbul - Mariko
Kluminican Republic // SOFI TUKKER - Awoo (feat. Betta Lemme)
Ultraviolenceland // Rebecca & Fiona - Shotgun
Taahino // SAINTE - With Or Without Me
Unovia // Brooke Fraser - Kings & Queens
Fljótavík // Off Bloom - Falcon Eye
Kylienips // Phil Good - Growing Up
Yehesi // Ella On The Run - Walk Away
FARC // Noella Nix - Bad Things
Cor Lupus // Mirror Talk - Some Boys
D'yermak'er // Oh Wonder - Ultralife
Summericia // Ericka Jane - Bad Like You
Ramrynia // Thomas Rhett - Craving You (feat. Maren Morris)
Hendinia // Dolly Style - Bye Bye Bby Boo
Ojnoj // SAARA - Superpowers
Altyr Muunilinst // John De Sohn - Standing When It All Falls Down (feat. Roshi)
Bignia-Zaragovina // Sabina Ddumba - Did It For The Fame
Republic of Adonia // Sabrina Carpenter - Smoke And Fire
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Tom Jay Williams - Closure
Daehun // K.A.R.D - Oh NaNa (feat. Hur Young Ji)
South Danaelanda // Oliver Moldan - High & Low (feat. Jasmine Ash)
Cadelicia // BLACKPINK - PLAYING WITH FIRE
Tinnmark // Christopher - Naked

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
12 Aelandor // Port Blue - Up Ship!
10 Singerpurear // Vitalic - Waiting For The Stars (feat. David Shaw And The Beat)
8 Pagasa // The Blue Nile - The Downtown Lights

7 Terra Avium // Varien - Lilith
6 Séyetana // Epica - Beyond The Matrix
5 Hushkanukia // Oonagh - Aulë Und Yavanna
4 #00274E // X0809 - HO
3 Aeroche // Merely - Backdraft
2 Land of DW // Apocalyptica - Faraway Vol. 2 (feat. Linda Sundblad and Dave Lombardo)
1 Azure // GNUČČI - Finders Keepers

11th-32nd:
Aesthetica // Lil Debbie - Push (feat. Moksi)
Pupok // Jennifer Rostock - Schlaflos
Harmonica // Northeast Party House - For You
New Lexico // Glasperlenspiel - Geiles Leben
Kluminican Republic // SOFI TUKKER - Awoo (feat. Betta Lemme)
Mezidinia // Ramsey - Black And Blue
Desbuanda // Rudie Edwards - Lover Like You
Mulgracia // VanLadyLove - Mars
Cor Lupus // Mirror Talk - Some Boys
Yehesi // Ella On The Run - Walk Away
-π // Jacques Greene - True (feat. How To Dress Well)
FARC // Noella Nix - Bad Things
Fljótavík // Off Bloom - Falcon Eye
Kylienips // Phil Good - Growing Up
République d'Ashton // Tessa Violet - Sorry I'm Not Sorry
Tartford // Cruel Youth - I Don't Love You
Hendinia // Dolly Style - Bye Bye Bby Boo
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Tom Jay Williams - Closure
Tinnmark // Christopher - Naked
South Danaelanda // Oliver Moldan - High & Low (feat. Jasmine Ash)
East Rukahavian // Ben DJ - Thinkin' Bout You (Vijay & Sofia Remix)
Sandebörg // Quest Pistols Show and Open Kids - Kruche Vsekh

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 1 DNQs

5th Ajanaeda // Hundred Waters - Xtalk
7th Skall // Kjartan Lauritzen - Fredag
8th Avalonia // Henry Jackman - The Winter Soldier

12th St. Burbia // Serayah - Look But Don't Touch
14th Buzzjack Mountain // Luca Debonaire - I Need Ya Now
15th Thelonia // Georgia - Feel It
17th Bøtanikkä // I Am Aisha - Yeke (feat. Jayh)
18th Niceland // Project Jenny, Project Jan - Train Track
21st Flynnonda // Mulàn - Night
22nd Suedeonia // Sparks - Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me)
23rd Bhangra // Mileo - Worry (feat. Adelén)
32nd Medhelnia // Showtek and Brooks - On Our Own (feat. Natalie Major)
33rd Zanmatony // The Kenneth Bager Experience - Fragment One (...And I Kept Hearing) (feat. Gisli)

BJSC Japan vs. South Korea summary

The Japan vs. South Korea spinoff in Cadelicia was a success for Persephonia, as we came 6th with Mario Galaxy Orchestra's 'Gusty Garden Galaxy', our first top 10 in any BJSC event since we came 5th in our own Instrumentals spinoff last year, and our 7th top 10 in BJSC spinoffs (excluding BJFestivalen). The field was smaller than usual, with only 26 entries this time (one less than even the Country spinoff), it notably being the first ever BJSC event to not feature an entry from FSR Rontvia. But we'll take that success nonetheless. 'Gusty Garden Galaxy' picked up 77 points (with the 12 point voting system in place due to the low turnout) from 14 voters. It received a full 12 points from Lotunia, ending a long dry spell for us in spinoffs, having previously not got top points from anyone since Worldvision II. We also received 10 points from Quintessa and 8 points each from Aelandor and Ojnoj (the latter being a nice surprise from a country that very rarely votes for us). Much appreciated all of y'all <3 x

For the third time in spinoffs (following Halloween I and Movies), Persephonian voters' favourite track ended up being the winner. Land of DW only occasionally enter the spinoffs and have only come top 20 in them once (and only barely, coming 20th in Your Best of BJSC - The Rejects with Dimitri Vangelis & Wyman's 'ID2'), but their instrumental trance delight 'sui-ren' by kagura did the job in Japan vs. South Korea and won with a total of 95 points, shortly following Land of DW's breakthrough top 5 hit in the main contest. It fended off a strong challenge by the host nation Cadelicia, who came 2nd on 91 points with 'CIDER CIDER' by TEMPURA KIDZ, and a similarly could-only-be-Japan slice of kawaii electronic weirdness from Jadakissnia who took the bronze medal, as in the main contest, with BPM15Q's 'Hakutyumu' (or 'Daydream' as it was billed in the contest). That scored 87 points, taking third place on a tiebreak with Deandria's entry 'lost sanctuary' by Ferri, giving them another strong spinoff result (their fifth top 10 and third top 5). Ojnoj came 5th with TWICE's 'Knock Knock' on 81 points, the only Korean track to make the top 5 (in fact only 8 of the 26 entries in the contest represented the South Korean side) and the highest ranked typical K/J-pop track.

Terra Avium came 7th with films' 'sympathizer', repeating a top 10 they achieved with the same artist in an edition of Unknown Pleasures, like they did with Lights & Motion in the Instrumentals spinoff. The top 10 was completed by a trio of more standard pop entries: Avalonia finished 8th with BoA's 'Hurricane Venus', Asian entry extraordinaires Daehun didn't embarrass themselves too much, coming 9th with Afterschool's 'Shampoo' (in their first appearance in a spinoff since the 10th anniversary contest, or the Halloween I spinoff if you don't count that), and Unovia came 10th with Namie Amuro's 'Hands On Me' (Amuro is permanently barred from appearing again in the main contest having been entered 7 times, but the rule does not extend to spinoffs). Another non-pop entry, 'Katachi' by Shugo Tokumaru, would have been top 10 in the latter's place but Altyr Muunilinst did not submit votes on time and suffered a 15% deduction, ending up 11th.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC Japan vs. South Korea

Points awarded:
12 Land of DW // kagura - sui-ren
10 Deandria // Ferri - lost sanctuary
8 Cadelicia // TEMPURA KIDZ - CIDER CIDER

7 Terra Avium // films - sympathizer
6 Aelandor // ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION - Re:Re:
5 Altyr Muunilinst // Shugo Tokumaru - Katachi
4 Jadakissnia // BPM15Q - Hakutyumu
3 Quintessa // Goose house - Hikaru Nara
2 Ramrynia // WORLD ORDER - WORLD ORDER (Welcome To TOKYO Remix)
1 Republic of Adonia // Dreamcatcher - Good Night

11th-25th:
Lotunia // Yasuharu Takanashi - Shitsui
Aeroche // Perfume - GLITTER
Ojnoj // TWICE - Knock Knock
Avalonia // BoA - Hurricane Venus
Alteria // nano.RIPE - Kotae Awase
Daehun // Afterschool - Shampoo
Flynnonda // ONE OK ROCK - American Girls
Cor Lupus // Dalshabet - Someone Like U
Trifoski // Fei - Fantasy
Aesthetica // Jyongri - Possession
Séyetana // Eir Aoi - MEMORIA
République d'Ashton // f(x) - Rum Pum Pum Pum
Niceland // NU'EST - FACE
Unovia // Namie Amuro - Hands On Me
Hushkanukia // lol - boyfriend

+Quote this post
Brer
post May 10 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #129
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 10/05/2017
coursework-delayed catchup edition [2/2]

David Starfire lights up BJSC 95 for Persephonia

BJSC 95 is now underway in Mrkyvka, Trifoski. Persephonia's 74th main contest entry is 'Big Chillum' by Los Angeles producer and multi-instrumentalist David Starfire, taken from his 2013 second studio album 'Ascend'. Starfire is the first American act to represent us in the contest since Color Guard in BJSC 85.

'Big Chillum' - the title refers to a traditional pipe smoked by Hindu monks, I promise Persephonia is not endorsing drug usage with our last two entries xx - is a typical example of Starfire's fusion of world music elements with hip-hop/electronic beats, being essentially a trap song with bhangra-esque instrumentation. It marks our milestone tenth instrumental entry to the BuzzJack Song Contest (and our second instrumental of the year after xi's 'Happy End Of The World' four contests ago), and the Persephonian BJSC Committee has hopes for it to at least do similarly to our last two instrumental entries which both came 31st. Check out the official video below, featuring a pretty awesome graphic design timelapse (the outro of the video features a clip of another track from 'Ascend', 'Shiva Lives', which we'd also recommend to anyone who likes this track):

Persephonia are the opening act in semi-final 2, drawn in slot 1 of 33.

Update: we didn't realise at the time but there was a Persephonian alumnus of sorts in this contest as well: Toddla T is a member of Machines Don't Care, who represented us back in BJSC 48 with 'Beat Dun Drop' (feat. Meleka). He showed up in BJSC 95 representing Thelonia with 'Beast' (feat. Andrea Martin and Stefflon Don), drawn in slot 8 of semi-final 2.

+Quote this post
Brer
post May 15 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #130
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 15/05/2017

David Starfire qualifies

David Starfire's 'Big Chillum' has made it through to the final of BJSC 95, bringing Persephonia's qualification streak back up to 2, and providing our 55th final appearance to date and 4th out of 5 this year so far. Reigning qualification streak champions Unovia still haven't faltered, marching onto their 13th consecutive final, with all their closest challengers also protecting their runs, Aeroche and Cor Lupus remaining in second place on the list with 9 qualifications in a row. David Starfire appears in slot 14 of 41 in the grand final.

It was a more successful month for Persephonian voters' favourites in our semi-final compared to the last two, with eight of our ten votes making it through, though we still sadly lost our 4 pointer Niceland with Torul's 'Monday' (which had been the first points we've given to Niceland to date) and our 1 pointer Cadelicia with Emrah Karaduman's 'Cevapsız Çınlama' (feat. Aleyna Tilki). Over in semi-final 1 it was a more bleak story. Persephonian voters' top 3 all made it through but the rest of the top 8 were not so lucky: 4th favourites -π (The Blaze's 'Territory'), 5th Bignia-Zaragovina (Hkeem and Temur's 'Fy Faen'), 6th Dobago (Grace Mitchell's 'Now' - which had in fact been expected to climb even further up Persephonia's rankings had it qualified but sadly it was not to be!), 7th Rolloland (Guillemots' 'We're Here') and 8th Beaverdonia (Skit Box's 'ACTIVEWEAR') were given the snub from the final. 9th and 10th on our ranking did qualify.

+Quote this post
Brer
post May 21 2017, 06:30 AM
Post #131
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 21/05/2017

BJSC 95 summary

- Persephonia had an underwhelming night for the final results of BJSC 95 in Mrkyvka, Trifoski as our entrant David Starfire finished a lowly 38th out of 41 with 'Big Chillum', receiving 125 points from 19 votes. This is our lowest position and points in a final under the current format (BJSC 74 onwards), with our only equal and lower positions being during the One Big Final era (Dennis Ferrer's 'Hey Hey' also came 38th in BJSC 27, and Young Money's 'Steady Mobbin'' (feat. Gucci Mane) came 39th one contest later). Nonetheless, it's a better result than a DNQ so we can't moan too much. For a second month in a row we didn't receive any 18s, with our only medal position this time coming from Land of DW who gave us 15 points (for the 5th time to date, while we're still yet to quite top the Land of DW vote), and our next biggest fans being Bøtanikkä and Jadakissnia (12 points each) and Pupok (11 points). 'Big Chillum' was however a fairly safe qualifier, having come 13th out of 33 in semi-final 2 with 64 points, giving it a projected final position of 29th which it of course undershot a bit, oop ~

- The winners of the night were Suedeonia who took home their first victory with Bleachers' 'Don't Take The Money' with a total of 339 points, including a full 18 from 6 countries (the joint most of the month). Since they joined at the start of last year, Suedeonia have DNQed more often than not with only 3 qualifications out of 11 previous attempts, the highest finishing of which was Where's The Beach's 'Tripping The Luv Fantastic' which came 27th in BJSC 86. However, they've hit a home run with their first big hit, coming off the back of their previous entry which floundered in the bottom 5 of its semi-final. 'Don't Take The Money' is somewhat unusual for a Suedeonia entry in how... not unusual it is, but it of course gives Suedeonia the chance to have a free pass to the final with whatever wacky turn they choose to take in the next contest, which will be the first time the country has ever been in two consecutive finals (and may or may not be held in Suedeonia itself). Its win comes after a previous Bleachers entry, 'Like A River Runs', DNQed back in BJSC 72, since which the one man (Jack Antonoff from fun.) 'band' has had his profile raised, including working with the queen and saviour of music Lorde on her upcoming second album 'Melodrama' (pre-order on iTunes now). Lorde even has uncredited vocals on 'Don't Take The Money', making it sorta kinda a BJSC winner at last for her, after her smash hit 'Royals' was rudely rejected by the BJSC masses, coming 29th (second to last) back in BJSC 53, many months before it became a hit single. Persephonia forever has to answer for why we only gave 'Royals' 1 point in its contest. Oops. x

- For much of the results, and right down to the final scoreboard, the top 3 were separated by a very small (sometimes single-digits) amount. FARC and Aeroche both had long periods of leading the results table. In the end, FARC settled for the silver medal with Stockholm Noir's 'Hopeless Dreams' on 331 points, while Aeroche came 3rd with Me & My's lost 90s dance classic 'Dub-I-Dub' on 326 points. 'Hopeless Dreams' is FARC's third consecutive top 10 hit since they came back to the contest in BJSC 93 after a few months out, and also provided them with a second consecutive semi-final winner (topping SF1) which was, like Noella Nix's 'Bad Things' last month, the projected winner of the contest. FARC now have 4 semi-final wins, with earlier ones coming from Mahan Moin's 'Azizami' in BJSC 82 and the all-conquering 'Save It' by Salt Ashes in BJSC 84. 'Dub-I-Dub' marks Aeroche's first top 10 hit of the year, and it's a bit of a shock it took this long, in fact BJSCs 91-94 marked the first time in Aeroche's history that they missed the top 10 4 times in a row, since their debut in BJSC 44. Normality resumed. They also climb to 5th place in the year to date rankings, still out for blood and a 5th straight year as year end #1 (Ultraviolenceland currently still lead the rankings for 2017). Aeroche now stand at 29 top 10 hits in total to date, with 18 of those coming top 3 (7 wins, 5 second places and 6 third places - only FSR Rontvia have more medals, with 19 including 8 wins, 5 2nds and 6 3rds). Rounding out the top 5 of BJSC 95, Medhelnia bounced back from 3 straight DNQs to come 4th with 302 points with MisterWives' 'Machine', their fourth top 10 hit, all of which have come top 4, and #00274E scored a surprise smash with Pale Waves' 'There's A Honey' which had been predicted for little more than low top 20 but ultimately came 5th with 280 points, #00274E's 12th top 5 and 15th top 10 hit. Pale Waves also won semi-final 2, becoming #00274E's 5th semi-final winner (previously doing so wth their top 3 hits 'Bomb' by Isa (BJSC 46), 'Look Up' by Carli (BJSC 53), 'Special' (Danny L Harle Remix) by Billon feat. Maxine Ashley (BJSC 70) and 'Secret' by Yuri and Seohyun (BJSC 88)). 'Don't Take The Money' finished only 5th in semi-final 1.

- Hendinia scored a second top 10 in a row, third of the year and 37th to date with the god-awful 'Batman & Robin' by Cazzi Opeia and Jin X Jin which finished 6th. 7th place went to Altyr Muunilinst, who like Aeroche have taken surprisingly long to get their first top 10 of the year but managed it this time with 'Classic' by The Knocks feat. POWERS, a song they originally confirmed to a contest that we hosted a while back but then reconfirmed but apparently kept 'Classic' dormant all this time. It's their 21st top 10 hit to date. St. Burbia came 8th with Billie Eilish's 'bellyache', their third top 10 hit to date, all of which have been this year (in each of the odd numbered contests). 'Gatekeeper' by Jessie Reyez was tipped as a possible winner but ultimately finished 9th for Ojnoj, nonetheless providing them a second top 10 in a row, the first time they have ever managed this since their debut way back in BJSC 7 (and we thought it took ages for us to do this when we did it for the first and to date only time in BJSCs 78-79). It's their 12th top 10 hit to date in total. Completing the top 10, also with a second consecutive top 10 hit, was Unovia with the new Ray Of Hope mix of Utada Hikaru's 'Simple And Clean', a song that seems to exist in about 500 completely different versions, one of which was Quintessa's entry to the BJSC Instrumentals spinoff. Unovia's journey to the top 10 was a hard fought one as they languished at the bottom of the table for some time before rallying all the way to the top 5 then dropping back down to its final position of 10th, giving Unovia their 14th top 10 to date. Incidentally the only thing stopping Unovia from also winning a second straight semi-final was that they were in the same semi as FARC, with 'Simple And Clean' coming 2nd in semi-final 1.

- Suedeonia were the only country this month to beat or equal their national best, apart from the one debuting nation Lotunia, who had a bit of a surprise qualification with Ágy's 'Arvedávgi' but ultimately came a solid 17th, meaning a debuting country came top 20 two months in a row. 'Arvedávgi' was quite rightly a surprise qualifier though as it only scraped through the semi-final in 20th, ahead of Fljótavík's entry which was given a 33% deduction for non-voting and would otherwise have qualified (though FLJ's votes may / probably would have saved Lotunia anyway to be fair). The country scraping through the other semi-final did even better: Cor Lupus were 20th in semi-final 1 with BGRZ' 'Agolo' (Remix) (feat. Angélique Kidjo) but came as high as 13th in the final.

- 4 countries made returns after breaks from the contest. Of those, the only one to qualify was N DNTN, who returned after two months out (the only contests they've missed since their debut) to come 23rd with Fishbach's 'Un Autre Que Moi'. Two of the other returnees sent novelty tracks which DNQed: Beaverdonia, back after a month out to recalibrate their sound, have of course publicised their discontent at their DNQ, but spare a thought also for Greenfroze who made a silent return after missing the last 2 contests and came second last in their semi-final. All they wanted to do was educate us about the clitoris! The final returnee was Herzebania who made a surprise comeback after sitting out for many years, last being seen in BJSC 46 (the only longer absence that a country has returned from was the 57-contest Bhangra drought), only to also be unceremoniously dumped in the semi-finals.

- The wooden spoon this month went to Thelonia, who finished 41st of 41 with Toddla T's 'Beast' (feat. Andrea Martin and Stefflon Don). It wasn't the lowest scoring song of the month, but Thelonia failed to submit votes and were thus subject to a 33% deduction and a ban from the next contest (Buzzjack Mountain will also suffer this ban), finishing on 76 points. The only song that received less than 100 points, and barely beating Thelonia after their deduction, was the P3 Remix of Karpe Diem's 'Attitudeproblem' which replaced the original Karpe Diem vox with ostensibly more BJSC-friendly verses by a laundry list of Norwegian female rappers / singers who had a go at rapping: Izabell, Bendik, Stella Mwangi, Silvana Imam, Julie Bergan and Christine. This remix was République d'Ashton's entry and finished 40th with 77 points. PNB wonders why this did so badly when Julie Bergan previously did better with two massively inferior other songs.

- Other noteworthy results: Espen came 11th for the second time in a row with ATB's 'Ecstasy' (MYSTXRIVL x SOKOS FLIP); Yehesi managed to make it to the final despite a 15% deduction for late votes, and finished 15th with 'Into The Fire' by VINAI feat. Anjulie; another surprise qualifier, Vigiland's 'Friday Night', turned out not to be a shoo-in for the bottom 5 as most predicted and instead actually came as high as 16th, becoming one of Tinnmark's bigger hits of recent years; hosts Trifoski selected PWR BTTM's 'Answer My Text' to be their auto-qualifier in more innocent times before the band was effectively exiled from the music industry as a result of certain unpleasant allegations against their lead singer, however this, along with the fact it's just a really bad song, clearly didn't put off too many people from voting for it as it came a respectable 27th; Aelandor suffered yet another undeserved underperformance with Nu:Tone's 'Tides' (feat. Lea Lea) which finished just 37th, but earnt its own questionable place in BJSC history as that marked a 29 place underperformance from its projected finish of 8th, a new record for a song that did not have a deduction in the final.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 95

Final

Points awarded:
18 Espen // ATB - Ecstasy (MYSTXRIVL x SOKOS FLIP)
15 Terra Avium // felicita - a new family
13 Aeroche // Me & My - Dub-I-Dub

12 Jadakissnia // Hugar - Waves (feat. Arnór Dan)
11 Aelandor // Nu:Tone - Tides (feat. Lea Lea)
10 Pupok // Spinee - Hell Hound
9 Séyetana // nanobii - Chipland
8 Azure // Yeasayer - Ambling Alp
7 Kluminican Republic // Two Steps From Hell - Archangel
6 South Danaelanda // Leon Else - The City Don't Care (feat. Oliver)

5 #00274E // Pale Waves - There's A Honey
4 FARC // Stockholm Noir - Hopeless Dreams
3 Skall // Jens Lekman - What's That Perfume That You Wear?
2 Suedeonia // Bleachers - Don't Take The Money
1 Cor Lupus // BGRZ - Agolo (Remix) (feat. Angélique Kidjo)

16th-40th:
Lotunia // Ágy - Arvedávgi
Bhangra // Audrey Gallagher and Kaimo K - Lullaby
Ojnoj // Jessie Reyez - Gatekeeper
St. Burbia // Billie Eilish - bellyache
République d'Ashton // Izabell, Bendik, Stella Mwangi, Silvana Imam, Julie Bergan and Christine - Attitudeproblem (P3 Remix)
Thelonia // Toddla T - Beast (feat. Andrea Martin and Stefflon Don)
Oslol // Terror Jr - Come First
Unovia // Utada Hikaru - Simple And Clean (Ray Of Hope Mix)
New Lexico // K.I.D - Boy (feat. CupcakKe)
FSR Rontvia // Emma Bale - Worth It
D'yermak'er // George Maple - Kryptonite
Medhelnia // MisterWives - Machine
N DNTN // Fishbach - Un Autre Que Moi
Bøtanikkä // Vök - Before (Neelix Well Done Remix)
Tinnmark // Vigiland - Friday Night
Ramrynia // Ulrikke - Places
Desbuanda // Lucy Camp - The Heart Dies
Taahino // GJan - Wasn't Easy
Quintessa // Leah - Met Jou Klere Aan
Altyr Muunilinst // The Knocks - Classic (feat. POWERS)
Ultraviolenceland // Fanny Andersen - Kids
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // We The Kings - Sad Song (RJ Remix) (feat. Olivia Holt)
Yehesi // VINAI - Into The Fire (feat. Anjulie)
Hendinia // Cazzi Opeia and Jin X Jin - Batman & Robin
Trifoski // PWR BTTM - Answer My Text

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
10 Aelandor // Nu:Tone - Tides (feat. Lea Lea)
8 Séyetana // nanobii - Chipland

7 Pupok // Spinee - Hell Hound
6 Azure // Yeasayer - Ambling Alp
5 Kluminican Republic // Two Steps From Hell - Archangel
4 Niceland // Torul - Monday
3 South Danaelanda // Leon Else - The City Don't Care (feat. Oliver)
2 Skall // Jens Lekman - What's That Perfume That You Wear?
1 Cadelicia // Emrah Karaduman - Cevapsız Çınlama (feat. Aleyna Tilki)

11th-32nd:
Summericia // VNV Nation - Illusion
#00274E // Pale Waves - There's A Honey
Fljótavík // Azekel - New Romance
Zanmatony // M4SONIC and YDG - About It
D'yermak'er // George Maple - Kryptonite
Avalonia // Jenni Vartiainen - Suru On Kunniavieras
New Lexico // K.I.D - Boy (feat. CupcakKe)
Aesthetica // Alice Vicious - Coupdburst
Lotunia // Ágy - Arvedávgi
Bøtanikkä // Vök - Before (Neelix Well Done Remix)
N DNTN // Fishbach - Un Autre Que Moi
Thelonia // Toddla T - Beast (feat. Andrea Martin and Stefflon Don)
Medhelnia // MisterWives - Machine
Herzebania // Veronica Malka - Flawless
Harmonica // Jillian Jacqueline - Reasons
Flynnonda // H.E.R. - Losing
Quintessa // Leah - Met Jou Klere Aan
Altyr Muunilinst // The Knocks - Classic (feat. POWERS)
Singerpurear // Bird - Crazy
Desbuanda // Lucy Camp - The Heart Dies
East Rukahavian // Wild Culture - Know Love (feat. Chu)
Kylienips // Digital Daggers - Heaven Or Hell

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 1 DNQs

4th -π // The Blaze - Territory
5th Bignia-Zaragovina // Hkeem and Temur - Fy Faen
6th Dobago // Grace Mitchell - Now
7th Rolloland // Guillemots - We're Here
8th Beaverdonia // Skit Box - ACTIVEWEAR

13th Land of DW // Digital Nottich - Gaidastep
15th Republic of Adonia // Club cheval - Young Rich And Radical
20th Greenfroze // Dorian Electra - Clitopia
21st Mezidinia // Leah McFall - Bottle It
25th Daehun // IU - Jam Jam
27th Tartford // Sweet California - Tears On My Pillow
29th Buzzjack Mountain // GEROX and LOBO - Dance With Me (feat. Nala)
32nd Hushkanukia // Laura Tesoro - Higher

In other news, the next BJSC spinoff is taking place in République d'Ashton, and it's dubbed 'Schlagerfest'. Our entry isn't schlager. But it is a pop song of Scandinavian origin which is what the contest is about. Here's hoping we don't get vetoed. x

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 21 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #132
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(Brer @ May 21 2017, 07:30 AM) *
Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:

THIS shall be one of the more memorable things about BJSC 95 for me! Hooray at finally sealing a Persephonia semi 12 after all those near-miss 10s we were stacking up. *.* I had you in mind as one of the people who would probably appreciate 'Waves' the most so the semi and final support was pleasing.

A shame that 'Big Chillum' didn't do a bit better in the final sad.gif had to settle for 3/5 of my top 5 in the bottom 10, u wot. Ofc I was gonna love your sang anyway when it was a recommended video from 'Waqqaberry' *.* think it slots in as my 3rd favourite of your 2017 entries now.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jun 1 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #133
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 01/06/2017

Young Karin represent Persephonia and Iceland in BJSC Schlagerfest

Persephonia's entry for the Schlagerfest spinoff in République d'Ashton, celebrating pop music from across Scandinavia, is Icelandic duo Young Karin with their 2014 track 'Hearts'. Young Karin consists of the titular Karin Sveinsdóttir on vocals and producer Logi Pedro Stefánsson, who is also a member of Retro Stefson (a band who previously appeared in BJSC 50 representing Caerfyrddia). 'Hearts' - originally released when the duo went by the name Highlands, as can still be seen in the video - served as their debut single and the lead track from their first EP 'n°1', and was like many of our recent spinoff entries a potential Persephonia entry for the main contest a few years back which we now have a good excuse to revive. We have turned out to be the only one of the 24 participants to choose a song by an Icelandic act. All five eligible nationalities turned up but the overwhelming majority of entries were Swedish, as should probably have been expected.

'Hearts' doesn't quite fit the bill of 'schlager' but is at its heart a pop song, albeit with some electronic/trap influences in the production. It's very good anyway. x Check out the video below:

We've been drawn in slot 11 in the contest. Elsewhere, a Persephonian alumnus (sort of) has shown up here too, on track 6 - Séyetana's entry 'Stories From A Purple Soul' by Pearl Fiction feat. Malin and Stefan Storm. Stefan Storm is best known as a member of The Sound Of Arrows but is also a member of Kids Of The Apocalypse, our silver medallists from BJSC 61 with 'EMPIRE'.

The main contest is on its annual mid-year month out, and after we had something different last year with BuzzJack's 10th anniversary celebrations, we're back to normality this year with a fifth edition of the more lo-fi BJFestivalen ongoing. Persephonia are set to emphatically fail their quest to capture hearts and minds with some light novelty a second time in a row.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jun 26 2017, 11:49 PM
Post #134
Group icon
🏆 BJSC 96 🏆

esta es mi cadena

~ ~ ~

Schlagerfest & BJFest V summary posts coming soon. x

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jul 6 2017, 05:01 AM
Post #135
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 06/07/2017

BROCKHAMPTON go for 'GOLD' in Medhelnia

PNB is still behind on our coverage of the last couple of spinoffs oops (soon!!) but let us not get too out of date with news from the main contest ~ We're celebrating our 75th main contest entry this month for BJSC 96. The final of this contest will be taking place in Suedeonia after their win in the last contest but the semi-finals are being handled by Medhelnia in the cities of Offset and Takeoff. Appropriately for cities named after members of Migos, Persephonia are going ~urban~ this time around with the track 'GOLD' by BROCKHAMPTON, which was the third of four singles that previewed the release last month of their second full length project 'SATURATION' (every track of which is stylised in all caps, totally setting apart this entry from the 6 previous BJSC entries named 'Gold' lol). This track was one of two by the group that we'd considered for this contest, if you're a fan we'd also recommend the followup single 'STAR' (although a warning that there's a long beeping sound followed by a snippet of an entirely different song at the end of that video - this is most of the reason we chose 'GOLD' in the end xx)

BROCKHAMPTON are a hip-hop collective consisting of approximately 12 people, mostly originally from Texas but now all living together in Los Angeles (making this a second American act in a row from us), though they market themselves as a 'boyband'. 'GOLD' showcases most of the members of the group, with its most prominent member Kevin Abstract - who was previously a potential Persephonian BJSC artist in his own right with his wonderful '808s & Heartbreak' era Kanye pastiche 'Echo' - delivering the simple and infectious chorus line in between varied and all excellent (if I do say so myself x) verses by Matt Champion, Ameer Vann, Merlyn Wood and Dom McLennon, before an outro sung by JOBA (with additional vocals by Jabari Manwa, who co-produced the track alongside another group member Kiko Merley). Incidentally one of the few members who was not involved in this track is Bear//Face who previously appeared in BJSC back in BJSC 70 with Mothica collaboration 'Molt', representing Espen. Check out the music video for 'GOLD' below. Matt Champion clearly setting fashion trends with that cardboard box look. x

'GOLD' appears as track 13 of 33 in semi-final 1, hosted in Offset. It's a long road to Suedeonia and we don't really expect to make it but PROVE US WRONG and throw some points our way if you like the track. x

Elsewhere in semi-final 1 there are two other Persephonian alumni making returns to the contest, both of which already had top 5 hits in the past when they were already recycled from us, but god dammit they were ours originally. First up in slot 4, Aeroche have sent deadmau5' classic 2009 instrumental 'Strobe' (originally over ten minutes long but sent in a bitesized radio edit version), recycling from our very first BJSC entry 'Ghosts 'N' Stuff' (feat. Rob Swire) which criminally DNQed in BJSC 19 and more recently deadmau5' featured appearance on 'Stay' by Colleen D'Agostino which came 4th in BJSC 74 for (South) Danaelanda. Then in slot 17, hosts Medhelnia have pinched from both us and our close allies Jadakissnia with TĀLĀ and MssingNo's 'Tell Me' (feat. WA$$UP). TĀLĀ previously came 15th for us in BJSC 64 with 'Serbia' and later 3rd in BJSC 69 with 'Alchemy' representing Bøtanikkä, while MssingNo's 'Scope' was a #3 hit for Jadakissnia in BJSC 88. Best of luck to both of these fresh recycles as they both do our alumni proud. x

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jul 7 2017, 03:33 AM
Post #136
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Stanning the fact that there is a Jadaphonia recycle this contest *.* the next one of those to be a 2 Bears/Chip Skylark collab xo

'Gold' is way more interesting than its title would suggest (at least it's not 'Home' or 'Ghost' tbf kink.gif) ~ v swag, v Persephonia x That chorus is very catchy and I can see it growing on me further with more listens perhaps like fellow swag entry 'Kyoto' which I now love. Mystic Harry to be have better predicting powers than spelling powers this time so all Jadaphonia related tracks are in the final plz x

+Quote this post
Brer
post Aug 1 2017, 03:53 AM
Post #137
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 01/08/2017
ultra-late catchup edition [1/3]

BJSC Schlagerfest summary

In the most recent spinoff, the Schlagerfest held in République d'Ashton, Persephonia managed a 15th place finish out of 24 with Young Karin's 'Hearts', with a total of 43 points from 9 voters. Our only medal position was from Jadakissnia, but this was still cause for great celebration as we received their full 12 points, while also giving our own 12 points to their entry, marking only the second time our nations have traded top points following our iconic 18 swap in Jadakissnia's BJSC 74 debut. Jadakissnia aside, our next biggest supporters were Flynnonda (7 points) and Terra Avium (6 points). Among our other handful of voters was an unexpected 2 points from Bignia-Zaragovina whose points have proven very elusive for us in the last few years (this is the first spinoff points we've received from them (excluding BJFestivalen IV, which was the last time they voted for us in any BJSC event, the last before that being BJSC 67)).

This was another very closely contested spinoff at the top end, with the top two songs ultimately finishing just one point apart. The eventual winner with 112 points was Death Team's 'Messed Up', representing St. Burbia, who claimed their first win in a BJSC event with their only previous spinoff top 10 being 8th place in Instrumentals with Sleeping At Last's 'Hearing'. The runner-up with 111 points was Quintessa's entry 'Kamikaze' by Susanne Sundfør, the second time Quintessa have been silver medallists in spinoffs (after Xmas Special II entry 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)' by Darlene Love) and third time they've come top 3 without a win to their name yet. In a contest with few major standouts Persephonia were happy enough that the top 2 were both songs in the top 3 of our votes. Both Death Team and Susanne Sundfør have since already appeared in other contests with mixed results as detailed later in this edition of PNB ohmy.gif Third place in Schlagerfest went to Sandebörg with Timoteij's 'Het' on 94 points, host nation République d'Ashton managed a 4th place finish with Måns Zelmerlöw's 'Glorious' on 85 points and Aeroche came 5th with 80 points for Tove Styrke's 'Ego'.

Completing the top 10: Pupok finished 6th with Nelli Matula's 'Lemmikki', Aesthetica 7th with Ängie's 'Housewife Spliffin'', FSR Rontvia 8th with Elin Lanto's 'Funeral', the aforementioned Jadakissnia entry 'Gå Der Vinden Blåser' by VIAN achieved a solid 9th place finish, and perhaps truly embodying the spirit of the name of the contest moreso than anyone else with a PROPER not very good schlager entry, Altyr Muunilinst rounded out the top 10 with the legendary Charlotte Perrelli's 'Where Were You?', credited in the contest to Charlotte "Harlot" Perrelli. Persephonian alumnus Stefan Storm (of Kids Of The Apocalypse), featuring alongside Malin on Pearl Fiction's 'Stories From A Purple Soul', sadly floundered in the contest, finishing second to last for Séyetana.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC Schlagerfest

Points awarded:
12 Jadakissnia // VIAN - Gå Der Vinden Blåser
10 Quintessa // Susanne Sundfør - Kamikaze
8 St. Burbia // Death Team - Messed Up

7 Aesthetica // Ängie - Housewife Spliffin'
6 Medhelnia // Amanda Fondell - Count On You
5 Lotunia // Ina Wroldsen and Broiler - Lay It On Me
4 FSR Rontvia // Elin Lanto - Funeral
3 République d'Ashton // Måns Zelmerlöw - Glorious
2 Oslol // ALMA - Dye My Hair
1 Séyetana // Pearl Fiction - Stories From A Purple Soul (feat. Malin and Stefan Storm)

11th-23rd:
Ojnoj // Darin - Nobody Knows
Terra Avium // I Am Karate - Bitter
Flynnonda // Amanda Winberg - Clouds
Beaverdonia // Dinah Nah - Taste Your Love
Pupok // Nelli Matula - Lemmikki
Aeroche // Tove Styrke - Ego
Unovia // Beldina - Here We Go
Cadelicia // Diandra - Nadaa
Sandebörg // Timoteij - Het
Altyr Muunilinst // Charlotte Perrelli - Where Were You?
Hushkanukia // Hanna & Andrea - Always On My Mind
Bignia-Zaragovina // Anton Hagman - Somebody To Love
Ramrynia // Alphabeat - Heat Wave

El Chombo Cracker Jack and Jr. Crack have a crack at BJFestivalen V

For the month of June (oops this thread has got rather behind xx), the regular BJSC took its annual month out, with the five moderator nations instead hosting BJFestivalen V, the fifth edition of the alternative contest based on the format of Melodifestivalen with all entries capped at just 3 minutes long.

In the last edition of BJFestivalen Persephonia went down the novelty route and got a silver medal out of it with Ziggy Marley And The Melody Makers' 'Believe In Yourself' (aka the Arthur theme). We repeated the novelty schtick this time by entering the iconic 'El Gato Volador', a song that features on 'Cuentos De La Cripta 3', a 1999 album credited to the iconic Panamanian-American reggaeton artist Rodney Clark aka El Chombo, who is best known for the equally iconic nonsense track 'Chacarron' which reached #20 in the UK Singles Chart in 2006 following a campaign by BBC Radio 1 DJ Scott Mills. Some wires got crossed and Persephonia originally submitted 'El Gato Volador' as being itself an El Chombo song, but on closer inspection we discovered he was merely the producer and the artists on the song are his fellow Panamanian rappers Cracker Jack and Jr. Crack. Unsurprisingly they are the first Panamanian artists to represent Persephonia, but more importantly it was our first ever Spanish language entry, and what a song to be the first *.*

'El Gato Volador' is a very silly song about a flying cat. The story goes, according to an old Billboard article we found on Google, that Cracker and Jr. were desperate to be featured on the album but failed to impress the mighty Chombo with their attempts at making a serious song. So, El Chombo gave them one last chance to put a song together in just two hours, and the only inspiration they could find at the time was Cartoon Network. And so, a stupid song (which even pokes fun at its own stupidity in its lyrics) about a flying cat was born, and it was just ridiculous enough that it made it onto the album and even became a hit single across Latin America. Inspirational. Here's the official video for the song:

'El Gato Volador' appeared as song 8 of 11 in Heat 1, hosted in Ramrynia (while the other three heats were handled by Daehun, Aeroche and République d'Ashton, with Bignia-Zaragovina hosting the Andra Chansen round and République d'Ashton hosting the final).

BJFestivalen V summary

Sadly it wasn't to be for Persephonia to make it to another BJFestivalen final through the power of novelty, however 'El Gato Volador' did fail less miserably than we expected, coming 9th out of 11 in Heat 1 with 32 points. That's an improvement on us coming last in our heat in BJFestivalen III with James Blake's 'Lindisfarne II' at least (I mean, er... we didn't enter that one!!!), and arguably a less painful exit than our first participation in BJFestivalen II where another Blake song, 'Unluck', was strung along to Andra Chansen only to be nearly unanimously rejected for a place in the final. Still bitter. Thanks to those few countries who humoured us with some points this time around (editor's note: we'd name them but unfortunately the image of the spreadsheet has already been lost to time with the death of Photobucket third party hosting, will edit this if Ryan can give me the information still xx)
EDIT: That'd be 10 points each from Oslol and Quintessa, 8 from Land of DW and 4 from Yehesi. Much love. x

In the last BJFestivalen, the entire top 3 all came from our heat, and it was déjà vu this time as the exact same thing happened, with 3 tracks from Heat 1 taking up all the medals. Having Persephonia in your heat is clearly a good omen. Oslol claimed the victory, and it was with Susanne Sundfør again, who thus claimed top 2 finishes in two BJSC events within a single month. Her song here was 'Delirious', which was rather bending the rules of the contest as it's a nearly 5 minute long song, just entered in a homemade edited version to meet the 3 minute maximum. Cheeky. Nonetheless, it took the win with a solid total of 142 points, becoming the first Oslol entry to win any BJSC event. The silver medal on 134 points went to Taahino with Zella Day's 'Hypnotic', finally making its way into a BJSC after being vetoed numerous times both in its normal version and a remix by Vanic. ('Delirious' was also a former veto in the main contest, make of that what you will). Hushkanukia rounded out the top 3 with 130 points for LIZ's 'When I Rule The World', a song that had to qualify through Andra Chansen due to each heat having only 2 direct qualification slots (in fact the top 3 in the final were also the top 3 in Heat 1, all receiving the same number of points, LIZ simply being unlucky enough to lose the tiebreak). Two other songs broke the 100 point barrier: Trifoski were 4th with 118 points with Fickle Friends' 'Hello Hello', and Fljótavík 5th on 102 points with Tim Legend's 'soda city funk', another Andra Chansen qualifier.

The rest of the redux 11 song final: Ramrynia came 6th with the Jonas Blue remix (cheeeeeeap!) of Jasmine Thompson's 'Old Friends', Cor Lupus 7th with Felon's 'Bittersweet' (feat. Hayley May), the final Andra Chansen qualifier and our top pointer 'Fireman Sam (It's Pontypandemonium)' by Pound Shop Boys came 8th for FSR Rontvia (who were in a BJFestivalen final for the first time after four previous failed attempts), New Lexico came 9th with Trixie Mattel's 'I Know You All Over Again' and the final top 10 slot was decided by a tiebreak, ultimately going to Beaverdonia's novelty entry 'The Wheels On The Bus' by Mad Donna (an actual UK top 20 hit, and yes it's a Madonna impersonator singing the children's song), forcing Séyetana into last place with 'Safe' by Nightcore Reality (aka Danika).

Only two novelty songs made it to the final but the 3 minute cap and the general lesser degree of ~seriousness~ in BJFestivalen compared to the main contest made it ripe for a whole host of other doomed novelty entries, including our own. Honourable mentions go to two other novelty tracks which fell in the Andra Chansen stage: Jadakissnia's Fairly OddParents classic 'My Shiny Teeth And Me' by Chip Skylark and Pupok's zany choice of J. Geco's 'Chicken Song' (Geco Remix), a dance remix of a chicken clucking, because yes. And a dishonourable mention to Flynnonda's choice of Rachel Bloom, Vella Lovell and Gabrielle Ruiz's 'Friendtopia', which has become the first BJSC entry ever to never get a single point from anyone, bottoming out with a much deserved nul points in Heat 4. Nul points has previously only occurred in the end of year TBO / Rejects contests and a couple of times in BJSC Re:LOADED, all of which were of course songs appearing again after previously appearing in standard contests where they did receive points. Well done Flynnonda on finally doing what no one could do for a decade. *.*

Full Persephonian rankings for BJFestivalen V

Final

Points awarded:
12 FSR Rontvia // Pound Shop Boys - Fireman Sam (It's Pontypandemonium)
10 Fljótavík // Tim Legend - soda city funk
8 Hushkanukia // LIZ - When I Rule The World

6 Oslol // Susanne Sundfør - Delirious
4 Beaverdonia // Mad Donna - The Wheels On The Bus
2 Taahino // Zella Day - Hypnotic

7th-11th:
New Lexico // Trixie Mattel - I Know You All Over Again
Trifoski // Fickle Friends - Hello Hello
Ramrynia // Jasmine Thompson - Old Friends (Jonas Blue Remix)
Cor Lupus // Felon - Bittersweet (feat. Hayley May)
Séyetana // Nightcore Reality - Safe

~

Andra Chansen

1st Jadakissnia // Chip Skylark - My Shiny Teeth And Me
2nd Niceland // Albanian Popular Music Ensemble Of Tirana - Myrtle Flower
3rd FSR Rontvia // Pound Shop Boys - Fireman Sam (It's Pontypandemonium)
4th Pupok // J. Geco - Chicken Song (Geco Remix)
5th Hushkanukia // LIZ - When I Rule The World
6th Fljótavík // Tim Legend - soda city funk
7th Daehun // CL - Hello Bitches
8th Lotunia // Lizzo - Good As Hell
9th Land of DW // Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
10th Sandebörg // Aura Dione - Love Somebody

11th Aesthetica // Sky Ferreira - C'est La Mort
12th Bignia-Zaragovina // Marcus & Martinus - Like It Like It (feat. Silentó)

DNQed

~

Heat 1

Points awarded:
12 Pupok // J. Geco - Chicken Song (Geco Remix)
10 Kluminican Republic // Charlie And Lola - The Bestest In The Barn
8 Hushkanukia // LIZ - When I Rule The World

6 Aeroche // Charli XCX - ILY2 (Danny L Harle Euphoria Edit)
4 Oslol // Susanne Sundfør - Delirious
2 Quintessa // Patti LaBelle - Gospel Alphabet

7th-10th:
Taahino // Zella Day - Hypnotic
Land of DW // Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
Altyr Muunilinst // Sirena - Love Is Not
Yehesi // Nina Sky - Champion Lover (Lady Bee Remix)

DNQed

~

Heat 2 DNQs

1st Harmonica // Baha Men - Accident
4th St. Burbia // Sälen - Copper Kiss
5th Zanmatony // Junior Senior - Shake Your Coconuts
6th Aelandor // Relient K - Sadie Hawkins Dance

10th Tinnmark // LILA and Rat City - Tell You
11th Dobago // Mike Candys and Evelyn - One Night In Ibiza (feat. Patrick Miller)

Heat 3 DNQs

1st South Danaelanda // Meowski666 - Meow Machine
2nd Terra Avium // Edvard Grieg - In The Hall Of The Mountain King
5th The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Keisha White - Someday
6th Ultraviolenceland // Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone - City Of Stars

8th Medhelnia // The Griswolds - If You Wanna Stay
10th République d'Ashton // KIOL - Broken Up Again

Heat 4 DNQs

1st Rolloland // Electric Light Orchestra - Endless Lies
2nd Ojnoj // Maria Ale - Dunga
3rd Bøtanikkä // GURBAX - Boom Shankar
4th Republic of Adonia // Brooke Candy - Opulence
10th Flynnonda // Rachel Bloom, Vella Lovell and Gabrielle Ruiz - Friendtopia
11th Cadelicia // ILY - REMEDY

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #138
Group icon
ultra-late catchup edition [2/3]

BROCKHAMPTON valiantly fail in the semi-finals

Unfortunately as expected we failed to make it to the final of BJSC 96, with BROCKHAMPTON's 'GOLD' bringing an end to our qualification streak of 2 again, giving us our second DNQ of the year. They weren't too far off however, coming 22nd of 33 in semi-final 1 with a total of 36 points, 7 points behind 20th place, a satisfying enough result. The Persephonian BJSC Committee was especially pleased that the song ranked in the top 3 of 3 countries, receiving 10 points from D'yermak'er and 8 points each from Land of DW and St. Burbia. It had 4 other voters, giving it 1, 2, 3 and 4 points (Jadakissnia, Espen, Harmonica and Kluminican Republic respectively). Love and appreciation to these countries and anyone else who got a good discovery from our failed risk. x The crown of longest qualification streak remained with Unovia once more as they progressed to a 14th straight final, with their closest rivals remaining Aeroche and Cor Lupus both on 10 in a row.

As in the previous contest, 2 songs in our semi-final and 5 in the opposite semi-final from Persephonia's top 10s of each also DNQed. In semi-final 1, our 4 pointer 'Words' by HËXĖ missed out for D'yermak'er as did our 1 pointer, N DNTN entry 'KICKDRUM KICKDRUM!' by Frankie Animal. Neither were very near qualifying, with the latter finishing in last place even before receiving a 33% deduction for N DNTN failing to submit votes. Sadly 2 of our top 3 in semi-final 2 fell short, including our absolute favourite, Envio's 11 minute beauty 'Touched By The Sun' (Rusch & Elusive's Chill-Out Mix) which was just a couple of points short for Zanmatony. Other songs from Persephonia's top 10 of semi-final 2 to miss the final were 3rd placed East Rukahavian (The Orielles' 'Sugar Tastes Like Salt', another very long song at around 8 minutes), 6th Desbuanda (Rone's 'Bye Bye Macadam'), 7th Quintessa (Alisha Chinai's 'Zooby Zooby') and 9th Séyetana (Konomi Suzuki's 'Redo', continuing to face racism against Japanese Séyetan entries).

BJSC 96 summary

- The winner of BJSC 96, whose final took place in Brettstown, Suedeonia, wasn't clear until very near the end of the results reveal. Daehun's entry, the English version of 'Haide' by Helena Paparizou, had been briefly in the lead early on in the results but had seemed to take a backseat to favourites to win Cor Lupus and Altyr Muunilinst as the night went on. However, in the last handful of votes, 'Haide' made a big comeback and ended up seizing the win with a total of 318 points, becoming Daehun's third winner following Indila's 'Dernière Danse' in BJSC 61 and SNBRN's 'Raindrops' (feat. Kerli) in BJSC 73, and their 18th top 10 hit. Its win was actually pretty solid by recent standards, 32 points ahead of its closest competition, the largest margin since EASYFUN's landslide in BJSC 91. This marked a big comeback for Daehun, who were last seen in the top 10 in BJSC 75 when they came 4th with Karin Park's 'Stick To The Lie', which had been the last of a run of six straight top 10s. It may not be a coincidence that only one of that run of 6 was within Daehun's usual Asian pop sound while nearly all of their less successful entries since then have been, until now. Hmmm. xx 'Haide' was also the winner by some distance of semi-final 2 and the projected winner of the contest, giving Daehun a third semi-final winner after the aforementioned Indila and Karin Park songs. Helena Paparizou, as well as winning the Eurovision Song Contest in 2005, had two top 10 hits in the early editions of BJSC ('Gigolo' 10th for then-named Kopečka in BJSC 5 and 'Teardrops' 8th for Herzebania 4 contests later). Daehun will now host the final of BJSC 97, which is now underway with semi-finals hosted by cohost du choix The Actual Republic of Bellamia. It was better when we cohosted with Daehun tbh. x

- Cor Lupus had been with some a very heavy favourite to claim a second winner, and they did lead for a good portion of the results, but they ultimately settled for 2nd place with LINES' 'Weekends' on 286 points, their second top 3 finish after BJSC 87 winner 'Higher' by The Naked And Famous and their 8th top 10 hit (3rd of 2017). 'Weekends' is claimed as the first single by LINES but is in fact just the first single from a complete reboot of the band's career after they decided for some nebulous reason to remove their entire previous back catalogue from most of the internet, which included a previous BJSC winner 'People' (feat. Adele Kosman), a landslide victory for Altyr Muunilinst in BJSC 71. History didn't quite repeat. Speaking of Altyr Muunilinst, they were also floated as a winner contender this month and ended up in 3rd with Kamferdrops' Scandi hit 'Jag Trodde Änglarna Fanns' on 281 points, a second top 10 in a row and 22nd to date, evening out their medal record at 2 wins, 2 runner ups and 2 third places. Ojnoj continued their spectacular recent run of form coming 4th again with Leon Else's 'What I Won't Do', a third top 10 in a row and 13th to date just two months after their last 4th placer 'Superpowers' by SAARA. 'What I Won't Do' also got 281 points, so only a tiebreak stopped it being Ojnoj's third top 3 hit. It was still a big improvement on the finish of Leon Else's last entry 'The City Don't Care' (feat. Oliver), sent just one contest earlier and finishing 20th for South Danaelanda, and it did top semi-final 1 to provide Ojnoj's 2nd semi-final winner after the ill-fated 'Overload' by Life Of Dillon in BJSC 74. Completing the top 5, Aelandor finally managed to break out of their run of DNQs and bottom 10 finishes in style to claim a first major hit on their 13th attempt, coming 5th with 274 points with 'Giants' by Lights. This smashed their previous peak of 34th achieved by ill-gotten qualifier 'Up Ship!' by Port Blue 2 contests previously, and also outdid all of Lights' 3 previous BJSC appearances, the most successful prior being 'Ice' (6th for Kingdom of Shadow in BJSC 13).

- 6th place went to Ramrynia with Paramore Birdflipper's 'Come On!', and we are confirmed to now live in a bizarro universe as this was the only song in the entire top 8 to receive points (well, 1 point) from Persephonia. We aren't supposed to support Ramrynia!! It's their 22nd top 10 hit and third of the year. They have come top 20 with all 6 of their 2017 entries so far, putting them in a strong position to challenge Ultraviolenceland's YTD throne (especially as Ultraviolenceland had another big underperformance this contest, coming 39th with Naïka's 'Ride', a song which only qualified at all due to #00274E receiving a 33% deduction for not voting in the semi-final, eep). République d'Ashton had a very long wait between their 23rd and 24th top 10 hits, but a much shorter wait to the 25th, Dagny's 'Wearing Nothing' which finished 7th, a place higher than the hyped winner contender 'Pinnacle' by Tone Damli 4 contests back. Dobago continued their enviably quick racking up of top 10 hits, coming 8th with Lindsey Stirling's 'Love's Just A Feeling' (feat. Rooty, aka RuthAnne from Professor Green's 'Remedy'), their 7th top 10 hit in 18 entries. Lindsey Stirling is clearly a safe name in BJSC, with two previous entries from her also finishing in the top 10, most successfully the 2nd placing Jamvale (aka Mulgracia) entry 'Shatter Me' (feat. Lzzy Hale) from BJSC 66. Rounding out the top 10, FSR Rontvia extended their record for most top 10 hits claiming a 47th (although their first of the year) with Turkish jam 'Şahane Bir Şey Yaşamak' by Yaşar Gaga feat. Sezen Aksu (try saying that 5 times fast) coming 9th, and Kluminican Republic scored a pleasing 10th place with Burial's 2007 dubstep/UK garage classic 'Archangel', their second top 10 of the year and 11th to date, and also outperforming their BJSC 95 entry which was not coincidentally also named 'Archangel' (by Two Steps From Hell).

- Aside from Aelandor, one other country set a new national best. Alteria made another return after their shortest break between entries yet of just one contest. Their first three attempts all DNQed but latest entry 'Sick Kids' by Fjokra emulated Confidence Man's 'Bubblegum' from BJSC 94 in making the final, and finished 23rd, 5 places higher than 'Bubblegum' managed. Alteria have once again elected to not enter the current contest however. It seems they will forever only be a rare delight in the contest. There was also one debuting nation, Jupiterdonia, who failed to reach the final with Empire Of The Sun album track 'I'll Be Around'. Incidentally this is now the third time that Empire Of The Sun have been entered and both previous appearances were also DNQs for debuting nations ('Walking On A Dream' for the controversial Mykanovia in BJSC 15 and 'Swordfish Hotkiss Night' for the footnote in BJSC history Johnopia in BJSC 20) making them even more of a cursed artist than twenty one pilots, who similarly have been entered twice, both times being DNQs for debuting nations ('Trees' for Cadelicia in BJSC 52 and 'Fake You Out' for another BJSC footnote and permabanned nation Jacksland in BJSC 71).

- Alteria aside, three other returning nations made the final, with two finishing very close to the top 10. Varakë haven't been a regular presence in the contest for a few years, having been the victim of too much racism with lots of great entries not making the final (17 DNQs among their 24 previous entries). They only entered one of the last 15 contests, that being a DNQ in BJSC 86. They have found greater success with their latest comeback, Irina Rimes' 'Visele' (Dj Dark & MD.Dj Remix), finishing 12th to become their third biggest hit to date, and their biggest since their sole top 10 hit, Pyramid's 'Wolf' which came 7th in BJSC 60. Their last entry to qualify was Pr0files' 'Luxury', 34th in BJSC 76, with four further DNQs between then and now. Sandebörg came back after a month out with ZOË's 'Dangerous Affair', coming 14th, their biggest hit since their third and most recent top 10 hit 'Nightclub Nirvana' by Lo-Fi-Fnk, 10th in BJSC 75. Deandria also made another return after 2 months out and like Alteria have had 2 qualifiers with their last 2 comebacks, this time coming 26th with 'Les Enfants Du Paradis' by world's end girlfriend, an instrumental and the longest entry in the final at over 7 minutes. There were also comebacks for Ajanaeda and Kingdom of Horanius, the former returning from a one-month ban and the latter making only their second ever appearance following their debut in BJSC 88. However, both DNQed and subsequently didn't vote in the final, meaning Ajanaeda were straight back onto the banlist as well as Kingdom of Horanius. Without going into too many specifics due to the touchy matter of #bangate, six other countries also received bans, namely Aesthetica, FARC, Medhelnia, Mezidinia, N DNTN and Skall. We hope to see many if not all of these back for BJSC 98.

- The wooden spoon for BJSC 96 went to a very unexpected track, Medhelnia's entry 'Tell Me' by TĀLĀ and MssingNo featuring WA$$UP, coming 42nd out of 42 with 56 points. In fairness, that was after a 33% deduction due to Medhelnia not voting on time (hence their ban), but it was still 2nd from last before any deductions which was far far below most predictions (and also what it deserved, poor brave Jadaphonia alumni - at least we no longer have the least successful TĀLĀ entry). This is Medhelnia's 3rd wooden spoon in the final in addition to one in a semi-final. A couple of other songs were also subject to varying levels of deductions - Yehesi voted late and suffered a 15% deduction to come 30th with MY's 'W.I.L.D', while, again avoiding specifics, FARC were hit with a 53.1% deduction with their auto-qualifier 'Don't You Forget About Me' by Robinson, turning what was a safe top 20 hit before deductions into a 40th placer. The song spared last place due to Medhelnia's deduction was the other auto-qualifier, hosts Suedeonia's retro pick 'Geneve' by John Otway, a song clearly not geared towards major BJSC success but nonetheless earning 63 points to come 41st. As Medhelnia were the co-hosts of the contest, both hosts finished in the bottom 2 of the final, and both are not competing in the current contest, with Medhelnia banned and Suedeonia taking an intentional month out. Whoops.

- Other noteworthy results: Bhangra finished 16th with Margaret's 'What You Do', one place higher than their grand BJSC 86 comeback entry 'Once In A While' by Timeflies and thus a new peak in the new era of Bhangra (they last came higher than this in BJSC 19 with 4th placed 'My Man' by Jade Ewen); Death Team's main contest debut a month after their win in the Schlagerfest spinoff was less successful, as they came 21st with 'Jump' representing Cadelicia; the other Persephonian alumnus in the contest, deadmau5, came 28th with 'Strobe' representing Aeroche.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 96

Final

Points awarded:
18 Kluminican Republic // Burial - Archangel
15 Deandria // world's end girlfriend - Les Enfants Du Paradis
13 St. Burbia // Tasha Tah - Malang (feat. RaOol)

12 Land of DW // Paddy And The Rats - Join The Riot
11 Fljótavík // UNKLE - Looking For The Rain (feat. Mark Lanegan and ESKA)
10 Varakë // Irina Rimes - Visele (Dj Dark & MD.Dj Remix)
9 Jadakissnia // King Plague - Ave Plague
8 FSR Rontvia // Yaşar Gaga - Şahane Bir Şey Yaşamak (feat. Sezen Aksu)
7 Aeroche // deadmau5 - Strobe
6 Alteria // Fjokra - Sick Kids

5 Medhelnia // TĀLĀ and MssingNo - Tell Me (feat. WA$$UP)
4 Espen // SXTN - Die Fotzen Sind Wieder Da
3 Bignia-Zaragovina // Cezinando - Håper Du Har Plass
2 Trifoski // Battles - Atlas
1 Ramrynia // Birdflipper - Come On!

16th-42nd:
Terra Avium // Stellar Dreams - Infinity
Cadelicia // Death Team - Jump
Altyr Muunilinst // Kamferdrops - Jag Trodde Änglarna Fanns
Cor Lupus // LINES - Weekends
Suedeonia // John Otway - Geneve
Sandebörg // ZOË - Dangerous Affair
FARC // Robinson - Don't You Forget About Me
Ojnoj // Leon Else - What I Won't Do
Unovia // PON CHO - Frozen (feat. Paige IV)
Lotunia // Lola Marsh - Wishing Girl
Daehun // Helena Paparizou - Haide (English Version)
Azure // Patent Pending - Hey Mario
Beaverdonia // Ina Wroldsen - Aliens (Her Er Jeg)
Oslol // Blonde Electra - Let's Touch (feat. THE HIGHESTER)
Yehesi // MY - W.I.L.D
Bøtanikkä // BEATZ - Ain't Your Girl
Aelandor // Lights - Giants
République d'Ashton // Dagny - Wearing Nothing
Hushkanukia // Sushy - Nerdy Boy (feat. Roachie)
South Danaelanda // Lucas & Steve - Up Till Dawn (On The Move)
Ultraviolenceland // Naïka - Ride
Tinnmark // The Uniøn - No Good For You (feat. Lovespeake)
Dobago // Lindsey Stirling - Love's Just A Feeling (feat. Rooty)
Bhangra // Margaret - What You Do
Flynnonda // Donny Montell - Move Your Body
Niceland // ARIA - Astrolove
Hendinia // Violet Chachki - Bettie

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 Kluminican Republic // Burial - Archangel
10 Land of DW // Paddy And The Rats - Join The Riot
8 St. Burbia // Tasha Tah - Malang (feat. RaOol)

7 Jadakissnia // King Plague - Ave Plague
6 Medhelnia // TĀLĀ and MssingNo - Tell Me (feat. WA$$UP)
5 Aeroche // deadmau5 - Strobe
4 D'yermak'er // HËXĖ - Words
3 Espen // SXTN - Die Fotzen Sind Wieder Da
2 Alteria // Fjokra - Sick Kids
1 N DNTN // Frankie Animal - KICKDRUM KICKDRUM!

11th-32nd:
Rolloland // White Soxx - Versailles
Terra Avium // Stellar Dreams - Infinity
#00274E // ONUKA - Other (Live) (feat. NAONI Orchestra)
Sandebörg // ZOË - Dangerous Affair
Taahino // VUKOVI - Weirdo
Unovia // PON CHO - Frozen (feat. Paige IV)
Ojnoj // Leon Else - What I Won't Do
Harmonica // Moment - All This Time
Tartford // Lisa - Rocket To Your Heart
Oslol // Blonde Electra - Let's Touch (feat. THE HIGHESTER)
Yehesi // MY - W.I.L.D
Jupiterdonia // Empire Of The Sun - I'll Be Around
République d'Ashton // Dagny - Wearing Nothing
Ajanaeda // ABIR - Playground
Herzebania // Carina Dahl - You On Me
Pupok // Parisa - Pop Pop Kudu (feat. Sabrina, T-Nola and El Rey)
Hushkanukia // Sushy - Nerdy Boy (feat. Roachie)
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Marija - Dance Like Nobody's Watching
Ultraviolenceland // Naïka - Ride
Dobago // Lindsey Stirling - Love's Just A Feeling (feat. Rooty)
Niceland // ARIA - Astrolove
Hendinia // Violet Chachki - Bettie

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

1st Zanmatony // Envio - Touched By The Sun (Rusch & Elusive's Chill-Out Mix)
3rd East Rukahavian // The Orielles - Sugar Tastes Like Salt
6th Desbuanda // Rone - Bye Bye Macadam
7th Quintessa // Alisha Chinai - Zooby Zooby
9th Séyetana // Konomi Suzuki - Redo

18th Singerpurear // Grace Slick - Dreams
23rd Mezidinia // ABRA - U KNO
24th Skall // Ana Moura - Desfado
25th Avalonia // Natasha Blume - Black Sea
26th Kingdom of Horanius // isis - I Am
27th New Lexico // Release The Woolves - Shotgun (feat. Maribelle)
32nd Kylienips // Aldous Harding - Imagining My Man
33rd Aesthetica // Nadia Oh - Shade

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #139
Group icon
ultra-late catchup edition [3/3]

We didn't get around to posting a teaser for our BJSC 97 entry so let's do one now, pretend y'all don't already know what it is ohmy.gif

BJSC 97

this is my home

Persephonia bring atmospheric black metal to TARO Bellamia for BJSC 97

Following our DNQ in the last contest we're boldly going forward with another highly risky entry and staring in the face of our first consecutive DNQs for 4 years. BJSC 97 is taking place in the noted pop hoe nations of Daehun (for the final) and The Actual Republic of Bellamia (for the semi-finals), and quite a few of the more 'alt bloc' countries are either currently banned or not in this contest for other reasons, so what better time to send a black metal song? Our 76th main contest entry is 'Hearth' by Saor, which came out in October 2016 a month before their third studio album 'Guardians'. Saor (originally known as Àrsaidh before changing their name to be easier to spell, although just as hard to pronounce, taking their new name from the Scottish independence motto 'Saor Alba' ('free Scotland')) are a band from Glasgow, with Andy Marshall as their only permanent member. This entry marks the first time in nearly 3 years that we have sent an act from the UK to the main contest (our last being BJSC 68 entry 'Glass Heart' by Eagles For Hands feat. Holly Partridge), and our 23rd entry by a lead UK artist.

'Hearth', like nearly all songs by Saor, is rather long, clocking in at 11 minutes and 28 seconds making it by far the longest Persephonia entry to date, exactly 5 minutes longer than previous record holder 'How Deep Is Your Love?' by The Rapture. The album 'Guardians' contains only five songs, all of which are over 10 minutes #longsongbloc. The genre of 'Hearth' is variously described as atmospheric black metal, folk metal or Celtic metal (any way you cut it, it's Persephonia's second dabbling into metal this year). The first two minutes of the track show the most clear folk influences, gradually building up until an explosion into a minute of aggressive guitars and, yes, DEATH GROWLS. We considered sending a 'sanitised' edit of the song that skips the growling part (it's only one minute of the song) but ultimately that didn't work out so y'all are getting the song in its full glory. After that minute, there's about another 4 minutes of gradually progressing atmospheric instrumentation with some more sparse and actually pleasant vocals, singing about the beauty of the Scottish highlands, before the song hits the reset button, going silent for a second and slowly coming back in for the beautiful fully instrumental remainder of the song which evokes the same kind of emotions and vibes as Terra Avium's BJSC 90 entry 'Time (Inception)' by Kitchen, albeit with slightly heavier guitars. It obviously won't be everyone's cup of tea (soz plug.dj) but we hope the song can find a few more fans and at least avoid coming last in the semi-final. x Here is the song:

'Hearth' has been drawn as track 27 of 31 in semi-final 1.

+Quote this post
Leonardo
post Aug 1 2017, 04:02 AM
Post #140
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,502
That's a lot of updatin'

Also, I'm kinda digging your marathon entry this month, I think it'll do well in your semi anyway smile.gif

+Quote this post

17 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:40 PM