BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The STATE of the album chart~, what should be done?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Sour Candy
post Apr 1 2021, 02:15 PM
Post #41
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

But in the long run it evens out. How likely is that Becky Hill could debut in top 5 in 10 years time? Not very. How likely is that Ben Howard can? Very possible.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zeus555
post Apr 1 2021, 06:35 PM
Post #42
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,153
   No Gallery Pics

When 'The Pandemic' started, and we had the 1st UK 'Lockdown', I wanted to cheer myself up.
So, I started to buy loads of 'Greatest Hits' CD's, by my favourite 'Heritage' Artists. It was like
'Comfort Eating' - by using Music instead!

I bought a great many CD's, that I already had - by Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, The Drifters, The Beatles,
Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Elton John,
The Carpenters, ELO, Queen, ABBA, Madonna, REM, and so on. Obviously, a great many other UK People,
also re-bought 'Heritage Music'. It was a Psychological reaction to 'The Pandemic'. Which is why lots of 'Hits'
Albums etc. started 'flooding' the Top 100 again. (I never 'Stream' Music. I like Physical CD's).

I also 're-bought' Compilations of: 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's Hits. Plus - Girl Group Hits, Motown Hits,
and Phil Spector Hits etc.

I try to like a lot of 'Modern' Artists, but I only like a few of them, such as Ed Sheeran, or Adele. I like Eminem
too. I realise that he's not 'Modern'. Oasis and Kylie Minogue too.

I have noticed, that a lot of 'Modern' Artists, are unable to stay in the Top 10, of the Album Chart, for.
very long. Even if they enter at No.1, or any other Positions, in the Top 5. It's as if they cannot sustain
Album Sales, for very long. None of which will change, if 'Greatest Hits' Albums, are 'banished' to their
own Chart. That would not make a lot of 'Modern' Acts, suddenly start selling more Albums. It would
also completely stop, a lot of Chart Fans, from paying much attention, to the Album Chart, as it would
mainly be full of Acts, that have Zero interest to us. Just as the Singles Chart already bores us, for the
same reason.

Hopefully, The OCC will carry on, allowing 'Hits' Albums into the Album Chart - if they want to keep 'Older'
Music Fans, in the least interested.

This post has been edited by zeus555: Apr 2 2021, 12:31 AM

+Quote Post
Envoirment
post Apr 1 2021, 06:57 PM
Post #43
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,030
   No Gallery Pics

I think having a separate chart for Greatest Hits albums could help? It would clear out like half the chart and allow lots of more recent artists more visibility in the album chart. They have a separate chart for compilation albums and a Greatest Hits album is essentially a compilation of an artist' hits.

I'm hoping the album chart will see a nice boost once non-essential retail re-opens. It's been so passive-streaming dominated in part due to the pandemic.

+Quote Post
Jay❄
post Apr 5 2021, 05:03 PM
Post #44
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

QUOTE(zeus555 @ Apr 1 2021, 07:35 PM) *
When 'The Pandemic' started, and we had the 1st UK 'Lockdown', I wanted to cheer myself up.
So, I started to buy loads of 'Greatest Hits' CD's, by my favourite 'Heritage' Artists. It was like
'Comfort Eating' - by using Music instead!

I bought a great many CD's, that I already had. Obviously, a great many other UK People,
also re-bought 'Heritage Music'. It was a Psychological reaction to 'The Pandemic'. Which is why lots of 'Hits'
Albums etc. started 'flooding' the Top 100 again. (I never 'Stream' Music. I like Physical CD's).

I have noticed, that a lot of 'Modern' Artists, are unable to stay in the Top 10, of the Album Chart, for.
very long. Even if they enter at No.1, or any other Positions, in the Top 5. It's as if they cannot sustain
Album Sales, for very long. None of which will change, if 'Greatest Hits' Albums, are 'banished' to their
own Chart. That would not make a lot of 'Modern' Acts, suddenly start selling more Albums. It would
also completely stop, a lot of Chart Fans, from paying much attention, to the Album Chart, as it would
mainly be full of Acts, that have Zero interest to us. Just as the Singles Chart already bores us, for the
same reason.

Hopefully, The OCC will carry on, allowing 'Hits' Albums into the Album Chart - if they want to keep 'Older'
Music Fans, in the least interested.

This post of mine - http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=6836439 - clearly demonstrates that most of the Greatest Hits albums are hanging around almost totally because of streaming. What you say above (many people buying [and re-buying?!] CDs) isn't really the case! Or at least it's a bit of a niche market - most of the GH albums are only selling a few thousand physicals in a year, which pales in comparison to the hundreds of thousands of streaming sales they're generating.

The albums you refer to that aren't able to sustain high positions in the chart is almost always because they're unable to achieve high/consistent streaming numbers. Physical albums have become quite a front-loaded thing, so artists reliant on physical sales inevitably get drowned out by the heavily streamed albums that occupy a significant percentage of the overall chart.

+Quote Post
ben08
post Apr 5 2021, 05:46 PM
Post #45
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 5,152
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Apr 5 2021, 06:03 PM) *
This post of mine - http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=6836439 - clearly demonstrates that most of the Greatest Hits albums are hanging around almost totally because of streaming. What you say above (many people buying [and re-buying?!] CDs) isn't really the case! Or at least it's a bit of a niche market - most of the GH albums are only selling a few thousand physicals in a year, which pales in comparison to the hundreds of thousands of streaming sales they're generating.

Could you do a similar analysis for Abba Gold and Beatles 1? Thanks.

+Quote Post
ben08
post Apr 6 2021, 05:30 PM
Post #46
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

And it continues...

It's those Greatest Hits albums again.

8 Fleetwood Mac - 50 Years: Don't Stop
13 Elton John - Diamonds
21 Abba - Gold: Greatest Hits
24 Michael Jackson - Number Ones
26 Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend
31 The Beatles - 1 ^
34 Whitney Houston - The Ultimate Collection ^
36 Maroon 5 - Singles ^
37 George Michael - Twenty Five ^
39 Bee Gees - Timeless: The All-Time Greatest Hits ^

And there are many more in the Top 100 albums update chart. A result of streaming no doubt.

+Quote Post
Jay❄
post Apr 6 2021, 06:19 PM
Post #47
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

QUOTE(ben08 @ Apr 5 2021, 06:46 PM) *
Could you do a similar analysis for Abba Gold and Beatles 1? Thanks.

Here you go! From the 26th March chart:

#30 - ABBA - 'Gold Greatest Hits'
2,380 - overall
2,139 - streaming (89.87%)
241 - pure [171 CDs, 53 downloads, 17 vinyl]

#40 - The Beatles - '1'
1,984 - overall
1,796 - streaming (90.52%)
188 - pure [101 vinyl, 47 downloads, 40 CDs]

Also...

#155 - The Beatles - '1967-1970'
966 - overall
902 - streaming (93.37%)
64 - pure [32 CDs, 25 downloads, 7 vinyl]

+Quote Post
ben08
post Apr 6 2021, 07:04 PM
Post #48
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks very much. That's brilliant (and a Beatles bonus). Very high streaming figures.

+Quote Post
ben08
post Apr 6 2021, 07:48 PM
Post #49
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I didn't realise pure sales count for so little these days.

So Abba 'Gold' With 53 downloads was no. 92 on the OCC Download Album chart and Beatles '1' was just outside the Top 100 Download chart with 47 downloads. So some of the albums between 92 and 100 must have had the same number of downloads. How did they separate these positions?

Only 6 or 7 downloads per day for these 2 albums! So iTunes counts for little these days compared with 15 years ago.

Further, being in the top 100 on the iTunes Download chart counts for very few downloads (and there are other download sites), never mind being in the Top 1,500 iTunes downloads as reported by KWORB. There are 391 NEW entries in the Top 1500 just now - probably many albums with a single download each. How are they separated?

+Quote Post
pippa
post Apr 6 2021, 09:48 PM
Post #50
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think having a separate Greatest Hits chart would work.
I think a better balance between sales and streams needs to be found.

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Apr 6 2021, 10:05 PM
Post #51
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ben08 @ Apr 7 2021, 03:48 AM) *
I didn't realise pure sales count for so little these days.

So Abba 'Gold' With 53 downloads was no. 92 on the OCC Download Album chart and Beatles '1' was just outside the Top 100 Download chart with 47 downloads. So some of the albums between 92 and 100 must have had the same number of downloads. How did they separate these positions?

Only 6 or 7 downloads per day for these 2 albums! So iTunes counts for little these days compared with 15 years ago.

Further, being in the top 100 on the iTunes Download chart counts for very few downloads (and there are other download sites), never mind being in the Top 1,500 iTunes downloads as reported by KWORB. There are 391 NEW entries in the Top 1500 just now - probably many albums with a single download each. How are they separated?

Typically iTunes separates ties based on lifetime sales, so whatever's sold the most in the past stays ahead (meaning that a lot of new releases that appear on the chart are disadvantaged and are selling slightly *better* than they appear to. It also means that you can spot the point where the chart runs out of sales depending on the country you're looking at, because stuff with 0 sales in the last *mystery time frame* will appear, and it's often peak download era stuff be it Adele, LMFAO or Gangnam Style.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2021 - 01:19 PM