BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Results - Ariana Grande: The Music Video Rate, full results on pg. 5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LewisGT
post 30th September 2020, 07:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

The votes have been added up and the winner has been decided! We will be bringing you the results starting very soon. Thank you to the 9 of you who voted heart.gif

In the meantime please feel free to enjoy all the videos once again and speculate on what will be out first and who will ultimately be deemed as Ariana Grande's best ever video.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 30th September 2020, 08:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Exciting wub.gif

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 1st October 2020, 10:23 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

For sure the sweetener and thank u, next eras will fair well.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 1st October 2020, 07:55 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

Hoping God is a woman wins but I’d be happy if any sweetener video won or thank u, next.

As for first out I’m less sure on that one.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 2nd October 2020, 02:29 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Julian Nial

30 Almost Is Never Enough (with Nathan Sykes)
Yours Truly

Total Score: 28 - Average Score: 3.11

Into You it: …ready for it, jlj, LewisGT (5)
thank u, next: Bré, Michael (1)

Collectively we very clearly don't care for this video. A few clips in the studio spliced next to a few film snippets just doesn't cut it. The film in question is 'The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones'. Don't get us wrong the song is pretty and Ari looks so effing cute. I suppose that we can appreciate that the song wasn't really given such a massive push to warrant a higher budget.

Between studio takes, Nathan can be seen randomly driving a convertible around (LA?) and then he arrives at the studio and looks in despair at the studio equipment before joining Ari at a piano and in a recording booth and it's all very drippy and cliché.

The video was directed by Nev Todorovic who went on to direct the 'Right There' video and became a part of 'The Young Astronauts' who directed 'Problem' and 'Dangerous Woman'. Needless to say Nev stepped up his game pretty quickly.

Erm... what else can I say? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd October 2020, 02:36 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Alone and wounded

A dull video for an equally dull song kink.gif wasn't my least favourite on the list but no big loss!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 3rd October 2020, 12:42 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

It's probably Ariana's most boring video so no massive surprise to see Almost Is Never Enough finish bottom. I wouldn't have ranked it last though.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 3rd October 2020, 03:45 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

29 Stuck With U (Ariana Grande & Justin Bieber)
Non-Album Single

Total Score: 45.5 - Average Score: 5.06

Into You it: …ready for it, jlj (8)
thank u, next: Michael (1)

While it is quite a jump in average rating from AINE, this just shows that no-one really liked the quarantine music video trend as one its most notable examples drops out as Ari’s 2nd worse video. When they announced the single, Ari & Justin both asked their fans to send clips of them lip-syncing to clips of the song to incorporate them all into one fan-filled stay-at-home video. After the cancellation of the American high-school staple of proms, there is a special prom theme to lots of the clips in the video. Bieber asked his younger fans to record videos “in your prom dresses or suits with your loved ones having fun or dancing”. The whole thing was, of course, created for charity. With profits of the song going to the First Responders Children’s Foundation. It’s not just the public who wanted to join in with the fun, there’s also celebrity cameo galore, most notably with appearances from Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis, Michael Bublé, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jaden Smith, Kylie Jenner, Demi Lovato and Chance The Rapper. Although Ariana vetoed the submission from controversial Tiger King star Carole Baskin. Justin had no such qualms, sharing the clip of her in full tiger dress on his Twitter to promote the song.

Suitable for a song titled stuck with u it shows Bieber doing the daily lockdown routine) taking a walk, doing some exercise, having a rest) all with his new wife Hailey Baldwin. However, the video shows Ariana mostly on her lonesome (apart from Toulose) until right at the end where she uses the opportunity to confirm the rumours and introduce the world to her new boyfriend, estate agent Dalton Gomez with a cute little shot of them hugging and dancing. Despite the obvious links to romance, there’s also a “Mothers Day” edition of the video which I something I just found about today.

At the end of the day, I’m sure it won’t matter to Ariana and Justin that much that we don’t seem to hold the video is such high regard as it is an MTV Music Video Award winner. They picked up the trophy for ‘Best Music Video From Home’ at this year’s ceremony.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 3rd October 2020, 04:12 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Julian Nial

No surprise there. I feel like it was let off slightly due to it being a lockdown/charity video.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 3rd October 2020, 06:00 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Aw poor 'Stuck With U' laugh.gif I suppose there's only so much you can do with a quarantine video but I wouldn't have it this low. The cute animals alone bump it up a bit kink.gif

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 3rd October 2020, 10:51 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Julian Nial

QUOTE(Jade @ Oct 3 2020, 07:00 PM) *
The cute animals alone bump it up a bit kink.gif

I mean basically every point was for the animals!! wub.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 3rd October 2020, 11:14 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Jord

Bless me being the highest rater for both songs so far.

8 kinda feels high for Stuck With U but I really like the home made element to it and it feels quite cute and personal so yeah it’s not a moment but I rated it a tad higher just as an actual video couldn’t really happen.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 4th October 2020, 02:40 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Alone and wounded

28 Put Your Hearts Up
Non-Album Single

Total Score: 46 - Average Score: 5.11

Into You it: …ready for it, Bré (7)
thank u, next: LewisGT (3)

Next to drop out is another non-album single! 'Put Your Hearts Up' found itself without an accompanying album after this musical direction for Ariana was scrapped. Rewind back to 2011 and she was most known for playing ditsy red-head Cat Valentine on the Nickelodeon show Victorious. Her bubblegum-pop breakout was launched off the back of her success on this show with a young demographic in mind. Therefore, the video is very innocent. Ariana parades round the streets in a pretty flowing pink dress, lots of fake tan and a cheesy grin planted on her face. There's some basic choreography too and the signature move is putting her hands in a heart shape above her head to match the feel-good lyrics. It's all very cutesy, with butterflies in the air and two entangled dog walkers falling in love too. This artistic direction was very safe and friendly for the audience she had in mind. Nothing controversial, it just ticked the exact boxes she needed. So, a positive start to her videography, right? Well, not quite...

Ariana revealed in later years that the shooting of 'Put Your Hearts Up' was the "worst day of my life" at the time of being quoted. She explained that it felt totally unauthentic to her and that she hated the spray tan and pink dress look. In fact, she has disowned it so much that the video was taken down from her YouTube channel. It can now only be found through fan re-uploads. Yikes! Ariana was an adult by the time of the video, at 18 years old, so it seemed like she was ready for a more grown up look and sound. She would still be acting with Nickelodeon for a few more years, with 'Sam & Cat' on the horizon too, but she wasn't fulfilled with her music career. So, the 'Put Your Hearts Up' sound was dropped in favour of the more sophisticated R&B direction that we'd get for her eventual debut album 'Yours Truly' in 2013.

'Put Your Hearts Up' may be Ariana's least favourite video in her discography but we've been slightly kinder to it. Bottom 3 is nothing to shout about but at least it wasn't dead last. A couple of you like it, with 7s dished out, but it also received a score as low as 3. Ultimately, an average start to her videography. But there would be a lot greater to come over the years...

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 4th October 2020, 03:14 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Julian Nial

Ari wants it dead and we just won't let it die! laugh.gif

Minus points for the fake tan. laugh.gif

I'm actually impressed it averaged over 5 but then I guess it's not terrible, at least something happens. It's just awfully cheesy or a nicer way to say it would be; "it's a tad too whimsical.".

Kudos to the choreographers and dancers that worked their butts off for the video too.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 4th October 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #15
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Well that is the correct bottom 2, I thought the video for 'Put Your Hearts Up' was pretty cute though, one of her better pre-'sweetener' era videos for me.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 4th October 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Jord

Put Your Hearts Up really isn’t as bad as people make out tbh. Song wise it’s pretty good video wise hmm a bit cheese like but quite good. I can still picture debut era Little Mix having a massive hit with it laugh.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 4th October 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Put Your Hearts Up is easily her worst video for me. The fake tan is ridiculous and the video just feels too childish.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 4th October 2020, 10:07 PM
Post #18
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454

I'm surprised that I'm in the highest scores for all of these.

This post has been edited by ...ready for it: 4th October 2020, 10:08 PM

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 5th October 2020, 05:03 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Julian Nial

27 Everyday (feat. Future)
Dangerous Woman

Total Score: 46 - Average Score: 5.11

Into You it: Tafty (7.5)
thank u, next: Jade (-1)

With equal points thus average, the controversial 'Everyday' video is out next, scoring more 7s than our previously out. It has however suffered the rates first and only '-1' score from fellow moderator Jade.

Many of us remain to dream what music videos from other album tracks would be like that unjustifiably didn't receive single treatment such as a 'Greedy' Candy man, candy shop, California Gurls realness with funky choreo, a modern vogue-esque video for 'Be Alright' or simply something stunning for 'Touch It' or 'Thinking Bout You'. I digress.

'Everyday' was directed by Chris Marrs Piliero who has also been responsible for other Ari videos such as 'Break Free', 'Popular Song' and ' Santa Tell Me'. So he has a mix of up and downs in his videography for sure laugh.gif .

A very sexually charged video, Ariana can be seen in the streets singing whilst a variety of (diverse clap.gif) couples kiss and act intimate including once couple on front of a strangers car. Ari continues to sing and bop around on the streets before appearing in a launderette where a similar situation is occurring. We get a hint of comic relief from all the steam as Future appears in an office where another couple is being intimate on a photocopier whilst a co-worker watches in shock as he pours his coffee which then overflows. It then cuts to Ari on a bus and YUP, SAME THING.

Critics acclaimed the video, especially for it's inclusivity and diversity, others criticized it for being overly sexual. For this reason the Lyric video was broadcast on most music channels pre-watershed.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 5th October 2020, 05:09 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Oh oops I was the only person to give a -1? laugh.gif perhaps a bit harsh on reflection but the excessive PDA is not for me.

Ari's goofy dancing is fun for GIFs at least

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 03:14 PM