BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Results - Ariana Grande: The Music Video Rate, full results on pg. 5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Oct 19 2020, 06:02 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Another one of her more simple videos conceptually (her response when asked what it was about says it all, lol) but the aesthetics are cool and fit the song pretty well. #20 feels about right for it!

(the song is eternally underrated x)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 20 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Alone and wounded
19 One Last Time
My Everything

Total Score: 60.5 - Average Score: 6.72 (less 7s)

Into You it: Bré (9)
thank u, next: Michael (5)

Well, it feels very strange to be announcing 'One Last Time' as low as 19th in any kind of Ariana rate. However, a contest solely based on visuals was bound to shake things up. 'One Last Time' as a song is utterly revered on BuzzJack - up there with 'no tears left to cry' and 'Into You' as part of her ultimate trinity of popularity. But the video has always received mixed reactions. There was an instant wave of disappointment in the relevant single thread after the video premiered back in 2015. But it did have its fans in amongst the more negative reactions. Five years on and this placement isn't so scathing, as 'One Last Time' has avoided the bottom 10, but it is still the least popular video from the 'My Everything' era. Even 'Bang Bang' has received more love. It is currently her 13th most watched music video on YouTube with over 320 million views. This mirrors its #13 peak on the Billboard Hot 100. It of course achieved a huge 2nd wave of success here in the U.K. as a solidarity anthem following the Manchester Arena bombing in 2017. It became one of a handful of #2 hits for Ari here.

The music video depicts a fictional apocalypse. This sounds like a pretty exciting concept but one of the main criticisms that this video receives is that there's not a lot going on. Essentially, Ariana is doing a lot of walking around. But there is a plot in there as she's walking around the devastation that has occurred. Her former Victorious co-stars are back to join her for the ride. Well, sort-of, as Liz Gillies just appears in voice-over form on the TV that can be heard in the video. But Matt Bennett gets a leading role as her love interest. He begs her to not get out of his car, but Ariana is adamant. She opens the door and begins to witness apocalyptic scenes from a pretty pink/purple sky to a family praying on a sofa. The video concludes with her and Matt holding each other tight on a rooftop as they watch the continued destruction of the coast. This take on the plot felt considerably more lowkey than the 'Break Free' video earlier in the campaign. Whether that's a good or bad thing continues to divide fans. Early criticisms on here also stated that the video was actually distracting from the song and just wasn't a good fit. Even the choice of colouring for the sky was a point up for debate! Fast forward to now and the video feels a lot more eerie due to 'One Last Time's connection with a fellow traumatic event. This video provided the final visuals of the 'My Everything' era.

Bré, with fresh eyes as he did not recall seeing the video before on plug.dj, awarded 'One Last Time' its highest score of a 9. Michael was less generous as his average 5 was the harshest score it received. It was mostly a sea of 6s and 7s here. So, not a videography highlight for BuzzJack, but its reception now is a bit warmer compared to when it premiered.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Oct 20 2020, 10:41 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
The One Last Time video isn’t great tbh.

It’s a bit eerie. It does fit the song in a sense but meh not one of her strongest visuals. I think because of Manchester too it’s kinda hard to watch it and not think of that. A fantastic song but not so much a great visual.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post Oct 21 2020, 05:02 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454
18 Boyfriend (Ariana Grande and Social House)
Everything Changed...

Total Score: 60.5 - Average Score: 6.72 (more 7s)

Into You it: LewisGT (9)
thank u, next: Cameron & Michael (5)

Delving even deeper into our top 20, with a joint score but more 7s, is the post 'thank u, next' era single 'boyfriend', which was released mere months after said album. I don't know why I was expecting it to be included on some kind of Deluxe or something, but that's another a story... we are here for the video.

The music video was directed by Hannah Lux Davis and premiered on the same day (August 2nd, 2019) as the singles release, which these days is a very nice treat. What we got however, received a very mixed reception.

The video stars Ariana with a slightly different take on her signature hair-do and Social House, namely Michael Foster who features as a the love interest. They are seen attending a house party in a mansion sporting fashion by Michael Kors. Grande and Foster take turns observing each other flirting with other people before getting jealous and fantasizing about beating the LIVING DAYLIGHTS (laugh.gif) out of the other people. Examples include Ariana shooting another woman in the hand using a bow and arrow and at one point Foster can be seen ripping a beating heart out of another mans chest after Ariana is seen purposely trying to make Foster jealous. Following this Ariana begins to randomly shoot heart lasers from her breasts to attract Fosters attention (he approves.), they then go make a lot of love in a toilet, destroying it as they go.

Personally I think the video is fun and has great moments. In fact I think it suits the song very well, but that's a problem in it's self.

To date the video has received a pretty underwhelming (compared to other releases) 157 million views on YouTube.

It seems like mod LewisGT is a massive fan of Ariana's videography so far, once again giving one of the highest scores. Most people scored it a respectable 7, with the lowest scores being an average but not harsh 5 from Cameron and Michael.

Let's see if our next contender can crack the +7 average mark?

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 21 2020, 05:10 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Alone and wounded
This feels about right for 'boyfriend' - it's fun but definitely not a classic in Ari's discography.

She unfollowed Hannah Lux Davis on instagram so who knows if they'll ever work together again laugh.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Oct 21 2020, 07:34 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293
I like the One Last Time video but it's not one of her best so #19 seems fair.

Boyfriend is a really fun video though. A really ggeeat concept well executed. Better than the single that accompanies it.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Oct 22 2020, 04:57 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
17 Beauty And The Beast (Ariana Grande & John Legend)
Non-Album Single

Total Score: 62 - Average Score: 6.89

Into You it: Michael (9)
thank u, next: jlj (4)

Edging ever closer to the 7.00, Beauty And The Beast drops out at #17 with an average of 6.89. This was the tie-in for the 2017 Disney remake of classic 1991 animation and shows the stars from the film, Emma Watson & Dan Stevens, in character as Belle and the Beast and dancing in the mansion behind Ariana and John performing.

Visually, this video is stunning and feels very old-school Disney. It lives up to the large production value you’d expect from a Hollywood movie with the large mansion set, indoor-fireworks special effects and some luscious looking costumes. Ariana wears a flowing red dress (which garnered unflattering comparisons to a loofah) while her crew of dancers wear similar dresses to, when they all get together, create the image of petals on the enchanted rose pivotal to the plot of the tale. John looks regal too, doing what he does best, providing the music at his piano.

There’s not too much in ways of story to go off with this video, but what it lacks in plot it certainly makes up for in terms of choreography. It feels like you’re watching a ballet at times with both the backup dancers at the start and later Belle and the Beast elegantly whirling around the ballroom in a very romantic fashion. The whole video feels incredibly classy and suits the film to a T. It has certainly faired much better than the previous soundtrack entry here, Almost Is Never Enough which finished dead last.

Michael is a big fan of the video giving it its highest rating with a 9 while jlj is not such a fan giving it a low 4.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 22 2020, 07:12 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Alone and wounded
'Beauty and the Beast' as a song is far from a discography highlight but the video is beautiful, the Disney magic is evident wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 23 2020, 09:18 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Alone and wounded
16 break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored
thank u, next

Total Score: 66.5 - Average Score: 7.39

Into You it: ...ready for it + LewisGT (9)
thank u, next: Cameron + Michael (5)

Just missing out on a place in the top 15 is the first music video from the 'thank u, next' era to drop out! Of course, this album deserved 6 music videos. But, we settled for half of that amount. Yes it still stings. 'break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored' was released as the third and final single from 'thank u, next'. Ari cleverly dropped the entire song and video package at once which allowed for very instant impact - she topped the chart here in the U.K. and got to #2 in the U.S., in amongst a record-breaking entire Ariana top 3. This is the first of her U.K. #1s to drop out in this rate. 'Stuck With U' reached #1 in the U.S. of course so that was the first stateside chart-topper to bow out earlier. 'break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored' is currently her 12th most-watched video with over 389 million views.

This video stars Riverdale actor Charles Melton alongside model Ariel Yasmine as a couple that Ariana has her eye on. Ari enters the club with a blonde wig and spies the two of them together. Ariel's character represents an Ariana doppelgänger - from the signature ponytail with a clip in it to a copycat moon tattoo. The couple catch her staring at them and ask her to dance with them. They later invite her to a house party at theirs. Ari appears jealous of their relationship. Ariana enters the party with her usual brunette locks, looking identical to the girlfriend in style. Later on, all three of them are in the pool. Ariana winces from afar but then appears to make a move on the boy. However, she suddenly turns to the girl and they lean in to kiss instead - but the video fades to black before we see anything else. The video received mixed reactions due to queer-bating accusations. However, the plot is supposedly about Ariana not needing a boy and learning to love herself - hence her kissing an Ariana lookalike, it represents herself. The song title 'break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored' is pretty attention-grabbing so this video was bound to be controversial in some way. It was another Hannah Lux Davis directed one.

These visuals are faring better now as the average has jumped all the way up from 6.89 for 'Beauty and the Beast' [#17] to 7.39 for 'break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored' [#16]! It received a pair of 9s from biggest fans ...ready for it and LewisGT, while Cameron and Michael found it pretty average - awarding its lowest score of 5!

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 23 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #50
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
I really don't get the apparent disdain for the One Last Time video, it's one of her more interesting ones for me (as you can tell from me giving it its highest score obvz).

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post Oct 24 2020, 03:17 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Julian Nial
15 Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea)
My Everything

Total Score: 67 - Average Score: 7.44

Into You it: ...ready for it (9)
thank u, next: Bre (4)

Erm... how is it possible that this is 6 years old?! ohmy.gif

The video Ari's international break out smash and first UK #1 'Problem' starts our top 15. It's views on YouTube have surpassed an insane 1.2 billion, needless to say the iconic hypno-spiral backdrop had the world hypnotized. It has managed to maintain being in her top 3 of all time viewed videos for over 6 years.

Another project directed by The Young Astronauts, the video has a vintage/retro look and feel. Ariana wears her now signature white Go-go boots and black sequined mini dress, she walks down a set of white stage steps and is accompanied by her backing dancers in front of a large rotating projection of a hypno spiral. The shots switch between this scene, her backing dancer's solo shots and Ariana lipping the words in front of a fuchsia back drop. In another scene Ari is laying on another black and white background wearing a white knitted jumper and pearl ear rings before the simple but effective choreography kicks in. Mixed in with the choreography are shots of the mouth of exboyfriend and uncredited collaborator 'Big Sean' with occasional frames of the two together with Ariana whispering into Sean's ear "I got one less, one less problem."
The next scene takes Ari back to the fuchsia backdrop, however this time the camera is panned out more to reveal another multicoloured set where she and two of her backing dancers are seen standing on white Vesper motorcycles. Her male backing dancers then begin stripping! (Always a result! laugh.gif).
The scenes switch between each other until 'Iggy Azalea' appears with Barbarella-esque hair infront of a green screen and another retro multicoloured effect, Azalea joins Ariana in the first set until the end of the video when Ariana walks to the back of the stage to sit on the white steps.

Yes I'll admit that It's somewhat simple, but it just seems to be very effective for the song and I like the retro feel. We must remember that at this stage of her career her budget can't have been massive either.

Score wise, in total it received 67 points only half of a point higher than the previous out. It was almost all 8s across the board, only three people didn't give it an 8 which were; the highest voter of 9 from 'ready for it...', fellow mod 'Jade' scored a little above average 6 and it's lowest scorer was 'Bre' who gave it an underwhelming 4/10 effecting the average quite considerably, but hey! I can see why it's not for everyone.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 24 2020, 03:40 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Interestingly the retro angle seems to be making a comeback with her new era! Her hair and style looks very 60s inspired in the 'positions' video and photoshoots. That's probably my favourite aspect of the 'Problem' video. Otherwise, Iggy has always outshined Ari in it for me, just took some time for her star power to really come through in her videos.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Oct 24 2020, 08:22 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I'm a big fan of the video for Break Up... Releasing it alongside the album really helped make the song click as my instant standout from TUN. Ari looks great with the blonde hair wub.gif

Problem is probably the video of hers that I've seen most but I think ranking it in the middle is fair. Cute (and the whole aesthetic, in particular the black and white dress outfit, is iconic) but it does feel a little bit basic.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Oct 25 2020, 02:21 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
14 Santa Tell Me
Christmas Kisses

Total Score: 69 - Average Score: 7.67

Into You it: …ready for it (9)
thank u, next: Michael (6)

The video was filmed at Ariana’s home in California in 2014 and shows her and her friends dancing whole looking cosy wearing animal-themed hoods and pyjamas. Ari can also be later seen sporting a Christmas jumper that reads ‘happy elfin’ holiday while exchanging gifts (and dancing!) around the tree. The whole vibe is warm and cosy like a fresh mug of hot chocolate on a cold winter’s night and everything you would want in a music video set in the holidays.

Something that separates this video from the rest of her videography is the use of the 90’s comedy-movie staple, bloopers. The more eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed before you first watched this that despite the run-length of the song being only 3:24, the video is slightly extended and continues for a further 2 minutes. This is because of the addition of cute outtakes at the end of the video where Ariana really gets to show off her personality a little bit more. Highlights include, a bauble fight, Ari twerking, a pile-on featuring the whole cast and, most notably, Ari exclaiming that “it’s hot as balls”; not the most festive I grant you. laugh.gif I think most would agree that these bloopers are the most engaging part of the whole video and really gives it that little bit extra to make it stand out. During the plug for this I remember Bre saying he was going to give it an extra .5 for the outtakes alone.

Anyone following Jade’s stats thread would have seen that this passed 200 million views of YouTube earlier this month proving that it doesn’t have to be Christmas to enjoy this little festive treat. The song certainly has R&B influences and isn’t too far away from the style Ari favours now which might help explain why it keeps going from strength to strength each passing year. After originally reaching #79, Santa Tell Me has peaked at #13 for the past 2 years in the UK so hopefully this should continue racking up the views as we approach the end of the year and beyond.

This really started off the rate well, it’s first five scores were all 8 or above but it trailed off at the end, not managing to reach 8 again with any of the remaining votes. With a total score of 34+35, …ready for it ended up loving it the most with Michael providing it with a still-solid score of 6.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 25 2020, 02:49 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Alone and wounded
The 'Santa Tell Me' video is simple but good fun. Looking forward to it being on the music channels all the time soon kink.gif

Glad it passed the 200 million views milestone this month after it didn't quite hit that last festive season cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 26 2020, 11:24 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Alone and wounded
13 Into You
Dangerous Woman

Total Score: 70 - Average Score: 7.78

Into You it: JulianNial + LewisGT (9)
thank u, next: Bré (6.5)

Next to drop out at #13 is 'Into You'! Like 'One Last Time' earlier, this is definitely the only Ariana rate where 'Into You' could ever finish outside of the top 10. It was released as the second single from Ariana's third studio album 'Dangerous Woman'. The record is a huge favourite on BuzzJack but the videos from it have fared less well as 'Side To Side' is all that's left now to represent that era. This placing for 'Into You' mirrors its #13 peak in the U.S. and it also missed the top 10 here in the U.K. - as it reached #14. Shocking stats for such a big fan favourite but it did sell very well at least. The 'Into You' video currently sits at #7 on her most-watched list, as it has clocked up over 800 million views since its 2016 release.

The 'Into You' video opens with shots of Ariana in front of a desert background. We're soon introduced to more high-octane scenes of her sitting on the back of a bike, alongside Ari's love interest played by Don Benjamin, from America's Next Top Model. Most of the video centres around the highs of their relationship, as we witness flirtatious displays of affection, drinking together and playing cards on top of the romantic bike rides. We also learn about how their connection came to be thanks to a flashback scene. This takes place at a party. Ariana looks standoffish next to a man who seems to have been a former flame. This guy dances and kisses another woman right in front of her face. She looks visibly hurt and runs out of the room. A bodyguard witnesses this incident and runs after her. The bodyguard in question is the guy who sweeps her off her feet and on to his motorbike! The lyrical content of 'Into You' is pretty affectionate and playful so it makes sense that the video revolves around the thrill of a relationship. It seems that this plot is not particularly standout in her videography though. Plus it's a battle for the visuals to match the euphoric tempo of 'Into You'. This was another Hannah Lux Davis directed video.

My co-mods Julian and Lewis are into this one for sure with their high scores of 9! Bray is the least enthusiastic with his 6.5. This is the first video so far to have a total score of 70+ so we're slowly getting more generous. Just two more videos to drop out now until we get into the top 10 - what could they be?

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post Oct 27 2020, 05:01 AM
Post #57
Group icon
Julian Nial
Into You's video is so satisfying to me, the beauty shots in the desert with the wind running through her hair, the contrast of colours in each scene and the storyline is not her best, but it certainly takes me to a place in my head. Also, I love that she shows some of her cute personality in this.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Oct 27 2020, 06:06 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
The Into You video isn't particularly exciting or dynamic but it suits the tone of the song well and has a nice little plot.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post Oct 27 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Julian Nial
12 Love Me Harder (Ariana Grande & The Weeknd)
My Everything

Total Score: 70.5 - Average Score: 7.83

Into You it: JulianNial + jlj (9)
thank u, next: Michael (6)

We are getting well into the higher top 20s now, this ties with the next out, both just missing out on a place in the top 10.

Yet another video directed by Hannah Lux Davis, the beautiful video for 'Love Me Harder' starts with shots of hazy hills before cutting to a backlit Ariana who is sitting and posing on a rather fabulous chair in the middle of a gothic, cold and dusty room, mixed with shots of storm clouds. The storm clouds and room turn from a cold blue to a warming orange glow whilst Ari continues to lip sync and perform sultry poses. The Weeknd then appears in a black and white shot with a single vertical blind of light, mixed with others hots of him walking down steps and through a corridor which is then revealed to be the basement below the room Ariana is in. The two are then seen back to back in front of the stairs to the basement... where it then starts to rain? Random. laugh.gif and at some point Ariana is floating with her hair submerged in water and... that's about it.

At the point is was released it was easily the most mysterious and sultry video she had released, which I appreciate, although whilst it is pretty, I'm feeling now that my 9 may have been slightly generous. laugh.gif

jlj joined me as a high scorer also giving it 9, Michael was the lowest scorer giving it a 6 with the most common score being an 8, bringing the tracks average to just shy of an average 8 score.

Let's see who landed in unlucky 11th place?

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 27 2020, 11:49 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Alone and wounded
'Love Me Harder' is my favourite video from the 'My Everything' album! I'm not even its top score as I generally found the era underwhelming for visuals. But yeah, 'Love Me Harder' deserved its 8, as that simple but slick video fit really well alongside the song. I wonder if Ariana and The Weeknd will treat us to a new video soon thinking.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:40 AM