BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Lil Dicky - Freaky Friday (feat. Chris Brown), And Ed Sheeran, DJ Khaled and err... Kendall Jenner
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tangela
post 6th April 2018, 06:31 PM
Post #81
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

QUOTE(Dircadirca @ Apr 6 2018, 07:23 PM) *
That makes it sound like you're more offended by the notion of someone calling out racism than racism itself. I'm just always reminded of people like Lil Dicky whenever I see something hated on because it's not gentrified enough for mass audience consumption. I feel like people decide to hate things without really thinking why it is they do, and start using things like that to justify their stance.

No; there’s calling out racism and there’s being over analytical about it, which I think too many people are these days. Maybe I struggle with it all because I myself see everyone equally while society on the whole doesn’t. But anyway this topic is about "Freaky Friday"
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 6th April 2018, 06:37 PM
Post #82
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(Dircadirca @ Apr 6 2018, 07:03 PM) *
Honestly it's Lil Dicky that bothers me more than Chris Brown. Hated his infantile sense of humour since the first time I came across it years ago. But more bothersome is the fact that he's a white dude blowing up in a black art form, but rather than take that to heart and be weary of it (something I can at least respect Macklemore for), he openly mocks the genre, further perpetuating negative stereotypes in hip hop for white audiences. It's not quite blackface but it's pretty reprehensible what he's doing.

I don't see what race has to do with anything. Can't we celebrate different cultures merging, instead of separating into what's a "black art form" and a "white art form"? In fact, if you accused a black person of blowing up in a "white art form", I'm sure the use of that term would be called out as racism (and rightly so!). It's 2018, cultures merging is a brilliant thing and shows progression. Besides, how are we to know that black audiences aren't enjoying this just as much as white audiences? I mean, it's doing well on Spotify globally which is a good indicator for urban music these days.

Besides, the entire point of this is that it's meant to be funny. Of course there's a certain amount of mocking, but beyond all of that, it's actually quite a well-crafted comedy song (like it or not), much like Big Shaq last year (although that must be alright, because he's black).

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 6th April 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #83
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

Joseph you’ve nailed what I was meaning.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 6th April 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #84
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

QUOTE(Midge @ Apr 7 2018, 02:31 AM) *
No; there’s calling out racism and there’s being over analytical about it, which I think too many people are these days. Maybe I struggle with it all because I myself see everyone equally while society on the whole doesn’t. But anyway this topic is about "Freaky Friday"

Well you're right. I worded it poorly but I wasn't trying to say that Dicky was by himself racist, I just think that he helps perpetuate a very troubling outlook on the genre where some of the most insightful wordsmiths of our generation are treated as jokes for the gall of having anything shiny or expensive in their music videos (or not just being a dude with a guitar). People go to bizarre and contradictory lengths to justify their disliking of rap music.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th April 2018, 06:47 PM
Post #85
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I see what you're saying Dircadirca but at the end of the day, Lil Dicky is clearly not meant to be taken seriously, anyone whose opinion of hip-hop as a whole is negatively affected by his music is the kind of person who would probably have those prejudices anyway as they're clearly too stupid to realise the guy is a comedian. Unless he starts making music that openly promotes white supremacy or something he's entirely harmless imo, at worst he's just an unfunny guy who you can easily ignore.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 6th April 2018, 06:51 PM
Post #86
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Apr 7 2018, 02:37 AM) *
I don't see what race has to do with anything. Can't we celebrate different cultures merging, instead of separating into what's a "black art form" and a "white art form"? In fact, if you accused a black person of blowing up in a "white art form", I'm sure the use of that term would be called out as racism (and rightly so!). It's 2018, cultures merging is a brilliant thing and shows progression. Besides, how are we to know that black audiences aren't enjoying this just as much as white audiences? I mean, it's doing well on Spotify globally which is a good indicator for urban music these days.

Besides, the entire point of this is that it's meant to be funny. Of course there's a certain amount of mocking, but beyond all of that, it's actually quite a well-crafted comedy song (like it or not), much like Big Shaq last year (although that must be alright, because he's black).

The problem is that it's cultural appropriation and it prevents proper progression because it clouds out diversity in voices. I wouldn't call out the opposite example because the whole point of racism is when a culturally dominant demographic is pushing further down on a more minor one. It's really easy to ignore this sort of thing because I'm in an extremely fortunate position of privilege myself, but it creates really ugly situations where people start to cause negative associations with races that aren't their own and only consume and substantiate the already empowered demographics.

I'm not going to hate on or judge anyone for liking the song, but I think it's important to acknowledge these things otherwise it spirals out of control. I'll try not to talk any more on the subject though because it gives me a headache and I'm sure no one wants me to keep going.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 6th April 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #87
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(Dircadirca @ Apr 6 2018, 07:51 PM) *
The problem is that it's cultural appropriation and it prevents proper progression because it clouds out diversity in voices. I wouldn't call out the opposite example because the whole point of racism is when a culturally dominant demographic is pushing further down on a more minor one. It's really easy to ignore this sort of thing because I'm in an extremely fortunate position of privilege myself, but it creates really ugly situations where people start to cause negative associations with races that aren't their own and only consume and substantiate the already empowered demographics.

I'm not going to hate on or judge anyone for liking the song, but I think it's important to acknowledge these things otherwise it spirals out of control. I'll try not to talk any more on the subject though because it gives me a headache and I'm sure no one wants me to keep going.

This is why I often have a problem with the term "cultural appropriation", it's seemingly used against white people when cultures mix quite innocently and it's made out to be a much bigger deal than it should be. To me, racism refers to a negative judgement on anybody regarding their race, and their status in society doesn't really come into it, but it's interesting to see different points of view. I understand your point totally but ultimately I think people will be well aware that Freaky Friday is intended in a humorous and light-hearted manner with no offence intended, I don't think it would lead to any negative opinions regarding race (none that don't already unfortunately exist, that is).

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 6th April 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #88
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

NOT a Lil Dicky song bringing up issues of race, violence, and cultural appropriation!

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 7th April 2018, 12:13 PM
Post #89
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Apr 6 2018, 07:37 PM) *

Agreed so much! Claims of cultural appropriation are usually jokes, it is just multiculturalism in action, we have moved passed segregation

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 11th April 2018, 05:42 AM
Post #90
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Jesus, I come here to write about Kendall Jenner's line (which is the only thing that's stuck in my head, help) and all I see is one SJW circlejerk.
QUOTE(Dircadirca @ Apr 6 2018, 11:51 AM) *
The problem is that it's cultural appropriation and it prevents proper progression because it clouds out diversity in voices. I wouldn't call out the opposite example because the whole point of racism is when a culturally dominant demographic is pushing further down on a more minor one.
The thing is, racism isn't defined to criminalize the majority race, whatever it may be. It's to condemn the action of bringing someone down because of their color.
rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/Submit
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
QUOTE(Dircadirca @ Apr 6 2018, 11:51 AM) *
It's really easy to ignore this sort of thing because I'm in an extremely fortunate position of privilege myself, but it creates really ugly situations where people start to cause negative associations with races that aren't their own and only consume and substantiate the already empowered demographics.
Didn't you just say Lil Dicky can't do gangster rap because he's white (even if it is a self-aware novelty thing)? Because apparently the only thing white people are allowed to sing about are tractors and whiskey.

-

Cultural appropriation is just too much of a shaky subject to even associate Freaky Friday with. Most accounts of it are cases where it's intended to harm another race whereas with this song everyone who was name dropped is pretty much in on the joke. If we had this mentality that trying to encapsulate something that another culture developed is appropriation for everything, then we should stop appreciating K-pop and Bollywood. They CLEARLY borrow from Western culture, shouldn't that be cultural appropriation?

Look, I don't really care about the dude or this song, and I get what you're on about, but cultural appropriation is a bridge too far.

This is coming from a minority.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 18th April 2018, 09:15 PM
Post #91
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Am I the only one still obsessed with this?! It's such a banger

+Quote this post