BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Janet Jackson • general discussion, ~we are a part of the rhythm nation~
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Apr 20 2020, 06:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I've had a Janet marathon today, started from 'Control' and I've just completed my first ever listen to her self-titled release. All I can say is that, soon as lockdown is over, the first thing I'm doing is buying those three albums on vinyl. Janet is queen of sexy slow jamz. 'The Velvet Rope' next! heart.gif

Previous threads:
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 20 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #2
Group icon
User: 13,007
YES LIAM!! The Velvet Rope is my favourite, but janet. and Rhythm Nation are masterpieces too.

I don't thinks she really has a dud album? Her first two are patchy and not the most thrilling of listens, and Discipline is a RIDE, but her consistency is incredible.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Apr 20 2020, 06:21 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Yeah I thought I'd skip her first two as I think 'Control' is where she got into her stride and found her own style.

I'm intrigued to hear her 21st century albums. 'Control' through to 'The Velvet Rope' seem to be adored critically and by fans, but everything after seems to get overlooked. I know 'Unbreakable' is fantastic, probably not heard it in full since its release but I still regularly give 'BURNITUP' a spin.

+Quote this post
Cremey
post Apr 20 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #4
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089
You’re in for a treat with The Velvet Rope heart.gif
One of my all time favourite albums.

Janet, Rhythm Nation and The Velvet Rope are my top three too, have always had a soft spot for Damita Jo too though.
All For You’s definitely my least favourite, but it’s not bad by any means.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 20 2020, 07:09 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I've split this into a new thread, for whenever we just want to discuss her in general (aka - every week x)

QUOTE(Cremey @ Apr 20 2020, 07:44 PM) *
All For You’s definitely my least favourite, but it’s not bad by any means.

All For You has some great moments! 'Come On Get Up', the title track, 'China Love', 'When We Oooo' and 'Better Days' amongst others - wow I really am into this album actually looking at the tracklist!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Apr 20 2020, 09:00 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
For me it goes Janet > The Velvet Rope > Rhythm Nation > Control > the rest. Those 4 are amazing though. The Velvet Rope I really enjoy but I lose interest after I Get Lonely... and it really frustrates me that Special just stops at the moment I really think it needs to explode!

My favourite song these days is If, although it's close between that, This Time and Got 'Til It's Gone.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 20 2020, 09:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
QUOTE(dandy* @ Apr 20 2020, 10:00 PM) *
For me it goes Janet > The Velvet Rope > Rhythm Nation > Control > the rest. Those 4 are amazing though. The Velvet Rope I really enjoy but I lose interest after I Get Lonely... and it really frustrates me that Special just stops at the moment I really think it needs to explode!

My favourite song these days is If, although it's close between that, This Time and Got 'Til It's Gone.

Have you listened to 'Unbreakable' yet? It's a huge return to form for her and very reminiscent of her 'glory days', spliced with Michael Jackson influences.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Apr 20 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I'll stick The Velvet Rope on tomorrow and see how much further though her albums I can get! 'Together Again' is a tune, she got it just right with this one with it becoming her biggest hit here in the UK.

A lot of her music will be best appreciated by listening to the albums in full, so if I were to pick favourites that I'd specifically seek out it would the big dance-pop moments like 'Escapade' and 'Miss You Much' (particularly the Shep Pettibone remix for the latter). Those ones have stuck with me since I listened to her Best of Number Ones compilation on Spotify last year - in fact, 'Escapade' is the one to beat! 'That's the Way Love Goes' does sound great in isolation though, the production is so dreamy and soothing that it makes me so peaceful.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 21 2020, 12:03 AM
Post #9
Group icon
QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Apr 20 2020, 10:50 PM) *
A lot of her music will be best appreciated by listening to the albums in full, so if I were to pick favourites that I'd specifically seek out it would the big dance-pop moments like 'Escapade' and 'Miss You Much' (particularly the Shep Pettibone remix for the latter). Those ones have stuck with me since I listened to her Best of Number Ones compilation on Spotify last year - in fact, 'Escapade' is the one to beat! 'That's the Way Love Goes' does sound great in isolation though, the production is so dreamy and soothing that it makes me so peaceful.

This is a really interesting point and one I was having with other members off here. Unlike other big stars, I find it difficult to name my favourite singles from her (away from 'Together Again' which is in a league of its own). I find that her singles aren't the reason I am such a fan - it is her albums. They are all such wonderful, complete packages that have to be enjoyed as a full album. I struggle to make a playlist of her songs for example because I always find myself rejecting them in favour of a full album. I always feel the need to value her music with an album rather than a selection of her singles - if any of that makes sense kink.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 21 2020, 12:05 AM
Post #10
Group icon
I've listened to Damita Jo this evening. It's far from my favourite - in fact, it's probably mid/low-table for me but even within this there are songs such as 'Thinkin' Bout My Ex' that are so moving and beautiful. Even in her weakest projects there is a story and moments of complete magic. wub.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post Apr 21 2020, 10:43 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
You cannot live without
1. The Velvet Rope
2. Control
3. Janet

Liam order them on amazon you will get some bargains !!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Apr 21 2020, 11:08 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(Hauspital* @ Apr 20 2020, 10:38 PM) *
Have you listened to 'Unbreakable' yet? It's a huge return to form for her and very reminiscent of her 'glory days', spliced with Michael Jackson influences.

I had this on in the background this morning whilst working, it was okay! I'm not massively inclined to go back to any particular track though - I'm not sure I have a need for it when her earlier albums exist

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Apr 21 2020, 11:19 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Mansonette
ps Liam get the Velvet Rope on red vinyl if you can, it's absolutely lush

+Quote this post
Simon.
post Apr 21 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126
Janet album is amazing, also her last really wasn't that bad.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 21 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
She has had some great albums and songs down through the years, her last couple of albums have not done well though.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Apr 21 2020, 08:11 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(Hauspital* @ Apr 21 2020, 01:03 AM) *
This is a really interesting point and one I was having with other members off here. Unlike other big stars, I find it difficult to name my favourite singles from her (away from 'Together Again' which is in a league of its own). I find that her singles aren't the reason I am such a fan - it is her albums. They are all such wonderful, complete packages that have to be enjoyed as a full album. I struggle to make a playlist of her songs for example because I always find myself rejecting them in favour of a full album. I always feel the need to value her music with an album rather than a selection of her singles - if any of that makes sense kink.gif

That completely makes sense. I tend to favour albums that take me on some sort of journey and it's clear with these classic Janet albums that they've been specifically crafted to give you the full listening experience. I'm looking forward to future listens so I can uncover new things about them!

I reckon I'll purchase her 2009 best of because there are many singles I can listen to in isolation and it'll be a great addition to my car journeys, but yes those albums are all very special.

-

I listened to The Velvet Rope today - another class album from Janet (I'll look out for the red vinyl, Dandy, it does look lush but nearly £90 on Amazon, eek!). 'Got Til It's Gone', 'Go Deep' and 'What About' are all standouts but, as established above, the full album is an experience. I've also been returning to 'If' today, so that's one of my top picks from her self-titled!

+Quote this post
Cremey
post Apr 22 2020, 08:05 AM
Post #17
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089
Completely agree about her albums being such complete packages! She's definitely an album artist in that sense.

In terms of favourite songs, these would be high on my list:
Love Will Never Do (Without You)
Velvet Rope
If
Every Time
You
Rhythm Nation

No Sleeep is probably up there too now, so smooth.

heart.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Apr 24 2020, 07:29 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I listened to all four Noughties albums but I can't say they really hooked me. sad.gif I was doing other things when listening (although tbf I did the same with the other albums) so I might give them another go with headphones.

Found this megamix which I'm loving. 'Nasty' vocals over 'If' instrumental is fierce and there's a great order of songs.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 29 2020, 08:55 PM
Post #19
Group icon
The 'Control' album is currently in the top 10 on US iTunes ohmy.gif Is it because of a similar reason to Mariah's 'E=MC2' resurgance? Either way, great to see it! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Apr 29 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Random but deserved! ohmy.gif Can Madonna be next?

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:53 PM