BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> FilmClub ● The Exorcist, Week #1 | Monday (9th) to Thursday (19th) October to Watch.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HarryBorelli
post 18th October 2017, 09:22 AM
Post #21
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

I watched it last night and Hmm it didn't scare me not in a it was boring way because it wasn't. I would say it was more unnerving. The acting was great from the girl, the mom and the main priest guy.

I'd give it 8/10 only because I thought it would be scary and it wasn't imo.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Severin
post 18th October 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

I'll commit my thoughts on The Exorcist to the thread probably tomorrow but for now here's the only film critic that I totally trust giving a brief introduction/review that was used to preced it's 1st ever UK TV showing.

Suffice to say I agree with Kermode and like he I have been known to proclaim this the greatest film ever made (although I have said the same about Alien and The Godfather too)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 18th October 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #23
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

9.5/10

Utterly chilling and a fantastic film.

Proper review coming later!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 19th October 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #24
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

This was excellent and definitely one of the best horrors I've ever seen! The acting was superb, I adore Ellen Burstyn and she's fab in this and is one of the best performances I've seen from her (I think it'd take a lot to beat her performance in requiem for a dream for me though) and I thought Linda Blair/the guy who played the priest were also great. I loved the tense atmosphere of the movie and it worked so well in being unsettling and creepy, the cinematography and music were also fantastic in that regard, I loved tubular bells usage throughout the film and thought it was really affective (one of the most effective pieces of music I've heard in a film, instrumental wise up there with the usage of lux aeterna in requiem). The plot was interesting and unpredictable and there are so many memorable scenes that I'll definitely remember, some scenes I was so shocked at and was literally like did I rly just see what I saw! The film creates so many memorable images. So unnerving and chilling.

Onto a few small negatives now. I rly didn't get the point of the Iraq scene in the introduction, I just felt that dragged on unnecessarily long and didn't get the point of it, the only bit I liked from the scene was the last minute. Also I didn't find it as scary as I was expecting so I found it to go quite slow at times but I feel like that negative would be the kind of thing to get cancelled out if I watch it again as I know what to expect now (I had the same with moonlight where I thought it was gonna be something completely different to what it was so that didn't hit me properly in terms of pacing and it not being what I expected till my 2nd watch!)

9.5/10 and will probs be a 10/10 if I saw it again, so glad this lived up to the hype and expectations <3 fab choice for 1st week of filmclub *.*

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 19th October 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #25
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

QUOTE(WitchHaus @ Oct 18 2017, 07:12 AM) *
I'll try and get a full review in time but next Monday I'm going to see the stage version live and I'm so anxious and terrified about the prospect of it. Going to be intense!

Omg enjoy! I've seen that advertised when I saw Evita (I think it's replacing Evita at the same theatre) and it looks really good <3 (though I def wouldn't see it in theatres as I don't think I could cope, I legit had a breakdown and panic attack when seein 1984 in the theatre so I'd hate to think how I'd be during this 😂😂)

+Quote this post
Severin
post 19th October 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

As I've said before I believe the film to be one of, if not the best film ever made. It works on so many different levels, has such a deliberate thoughtful pacing, real depth to the characters, stunning performances and really nuanced writing. The use of sound is superlative, from Mike Oldfield's classic piece to the absence of music during key scenes where most films would indulge it - the 'power of Christ compels you' scene particularly.
The film is unflinching in it's portrayal of a young girl tormented for fun by a spirit who's real desire is to get at someone else entirely, and it's true genius lies in it's approach to this.
From the very beginning the film stays grounded in reality. Every single Doctor approaches Regan's condition scientifically and throughout they keep treating it as anything but a possession. Even Father Karras does too, until he is finally persuaded that something else might be at work. Most films before or since go straight to having one character a believer from the start and this robs many stories of any depth or full examination of the subject. But The Exorcist uses this backdrop to a story about a priest's crisis of faith , every bit as much as it does a demonic possession. It tells a story of how science approaches spiritual possession, the story of a mother's fear that something may be very wrong with her daughter, of a detective investigating an unusual case, and it tells a story of an ancient evil called Pazuzu and it's vendetta against the man who fought it any years ago. There are multiple story arcs all in play at once and all featuring a different lead character and yet every one feels fully developed and not unimportant.

The Exorcist isn't brilliant because it's shocking, scary or controversial or because it broke new ground in what Horror films could be even though all of those things are true of it.

The Exorcist is brilliant because it is incredibly accomplished film-making in every sense. Every individual element within it is executed in expert fashion. The Exorcist fully deserves its reputation as the greatest Horror of them all, and indeed, its place at the top echelon of greatest ever film lists.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 20th October 2017, 05:56 PM
Post #27
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

thanks to everyone who made this a success this week! <3 it's been fascinating reading all your reviews & a great turnout *.*

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 20th October 2017, 06:40 PM
Post #28
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Yeah. I've loved reading everyone's reviews on it! wub.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 21st October 2017, 04:21 PM
Post #29
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Sorry I didn't get time to watch this again, but I've seen it a good few times so I'll do a late review!

I wrote an essay for this back in uni comparing it to Rosemary's Baby and The Omen (which I can't remember the theme on), I think it was my first time watching all three but I really enjoyed all three but this one stuck with me. The imagery was so horrifying to me at first, but I don't think the film would've worked without it as, well, it is literally evil incarnate and it is shown in every detail that it should be. Everything progresses really well, Reagan's (the fact all this happened to a little girl is something that's become so overdone, but here it genuinely feels horrifying) gradual worsening condition fits in really well with the priest's crisis of faith and the culminating in them both is both wonderfully tense and also quite tragic in it's final twist, but it fits in with the general bleak undertones, and ofc. the production values are wonderful, Tubular Bells remains one of the best compositions ever and perfect for the film. I don't think there's been a horror film actually like it that exemplifies the power of horror being brought home and the ongoing struggles between and good and evil quite like this, it remains a glorious watch. 9.5/10

(PS. I would love to see a stage version of this, jealous </3)

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 11:28 AM