BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> thank u, sweet: THE RATE results, Complete - full results on page 5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JulianNial
post 14th June 2019, 05:36 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

I prefer 'successful', I just find 'borderline' a bit flat or off, but it's definitely the instrumental that makes me feel that way. I DO however much prefer 'R.E.M.' and 'better off' to both of these tracks.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
coi
post 14th June 2019, 06:23 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Half of Sweetener gone and only the worst song out from thank u, next. This is going very well.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 14th June 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Wtf R.E.M. is WAY too low mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th June 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'R.E.M' is sooo bland. I actually think it's my least fave Ari song for the fact it literally does nothing. :/
'Better Off' is gorgeous though. So beautifully heartbreaking.
'borderline' is ok. I should like it a lot more than I do.
'successful' is really cheeky but cute.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th June 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

'borderline' is pretty good but I had such high expectations beforehand with Missy Elliott being involved, sadly it didn't quite live up to those! I would've preferred more of a full fat banger from them a la Missy's recent team-up with Lizzo.

Well, my least favourite from 'thank u, next' recently dropped out and now my least favourite from 'sweetener' has! I can't really warm to 'successful', the lyrics aren't great and the production there is probably the worst from the whole album. '7 rings' did the bragging thing better x

+Quote this post
Jade
post 15th June 2019, 09:38 AM
Post #26
Group icon
Alone and wounded

18. 'get well soon' // 6.8
lovin' it: digitalking (10), Andrew., Cqmerqn, SamJudd, Nick F1, Cameron & Darwin Turretson (09) / thank u, next: Theonix (1.5), UltraME! (2.5)

17. 'needy' // 6.9
lovin' it: Andrew., Cqmerqn & coi (10) / thank u, next: Theonix (0), LMLou (2)

'get well soon' drops out next, resulting in 60% of 'sweetener' exiting the game before we've even reached the top 15! Quite a bad showing for the album so far, especially when you consider that it is the one with more songs on it. 'get well soon' acts as a self-help moment for Ariana as she channels her anxiety through song. We of course know how her world was turned upside down in 2017. This song is a tribute to those who lost their lives in Manchester as she rounds off the song with 40 seconds of silence for them. It is also 5:22 in length, the longest on the album, to represent the 22/05 date that the tragedy occurred on. Plus 22 lives were lost. I love these small details. I expected the song to sound a whole lot different sonically, perhaps more of a weepy ballad. But the production doesn't really make me feel emotional at all, it's quite dramatic but not really in a sad way. The lyrics are where the meaning lies for sure. They're reflective and supportive to those listening, such as "I'll be right there just to hug you". This was definitely an unexpected sound considering the subject matter but one that I ended up enjoying after a few listens, I particularly like the way that the song builds throughout. A journey for sure.

Next up is finally another 'thank u, next' song! This is 'needy', which you guys also deemed not as good as its rhyming counterpart 'Greedy' in a recent poll in this AF. kink.gif This is track #2 from the 'thank u, next' album and went down really well with the general public during album release week. In fact, so well that it became Ariana's 13th - and latest - top 10 single in the UK, peaking at #8 after heavy cherrypicking. It peaked at #14 in the US. I suppose it was helped by featuring so high on the album's track list. This is one of the least standout songs of the album for me personally, so I was disappointed that it was one of the few to get a chart play and top 10 status to its name! I just find it to be meandering and the production is only so-so. I do think that this is a strong point lyrically though, lines like "Good at overthinking with my heart" are relatable for a lot of people out there. Another lyric that also stands out to me is "...and sorry if I say sorry way too much" because Ariana tends to apologise a lot in interviews for the smallest things. So it's another personal one for sure with the detailing of this anxious behaviour. Still a whopping 10 songs from 'thank u, next' to go in this rate!

sweetener: 09/15
thank u, next: 02/12

+Quote this post
coi
post 15th June 2019, 10:26 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Poor 'needy', I'd actually say that's one of my favourite songs on the album!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 15th June 2019, 10:52 AM
Post #28
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Needy' is such a bore. Still pissed that its second week on the chart narrowly prevented 'Bloodline' getting an entry. mad.gif

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 15th June 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Julian Nial

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jun 15 2019, 11:52 AM) *
Still pissed that its second week on the chart narrowly prevented 'Bloodline' getting an entry. mad.gif

Well yes. dry.gif

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 15th June 2019, 03:39 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(Juliano @ Jun 13 2019, 03:27 PM) *

22. 'R.E.M.' // 6.46
lovin' it: (10) blacksquare

21. 'better off' // 6.46
lovin' it: (10) blacksquare

Well this just hurts

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 15th June 2019, 04:05 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Borderline is probably the weakest across the two albums for me so no disappointment to see that out already.

R.E.M. & Successful are too low though

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 16th June 2019, 09:30 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Julian Nial

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Jun 15 2019, 04:39 PM) *
Well this just hurts

Oh yeh, sad.gif well I must say you have good taste! cool.gif

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 16th June 2019, 02:36 PM
Post #33
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

16. 'in my head' // 7
lovin' it: digitalking (10) / thank u, next: LMLou (-1)

15. 'imagine' // 7.68
lovin' it: digitalking (11) / thank u, next: LMLou (4)

'in my head' just falls short of the top 15 and gains an average of 7. This one is one of my particular favourites from 'thank u, next' which is why I gave it a 9. the 'hea-ah-yea-ah-yeah-ah-eeee' chorus is blissful. Y'all better appreciate.

Next up is 'imagine'. Released as the first promo single from 'thank u, next', 'imagine' kicks off the top 15. Ariana's vocals sound absoloutly devine on this track and was pretty instant on first listen.

sweetener: 09/15
thank u, next: 04/12

+Quote this post
Jade
post 16th June 2019, 03:21 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Alone and wounded

'imagine' actually killed my hype for this era a bit around the time it was a promo single, but it's grown on me so much now! The whistle notes *.*

'in my head' was love at first listen though, I agree that the part you pointed out is blissful Cameron and I love the trappy production as well.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 16th June 2019, 06:09 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Julian Nial

Those are both PROPER marmite tracks. I still haven't grown to In My Head, but Imagine I've always quite liked.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 17th June 2019, 10:45 AM
Post #36
Group icon
Julian Nial

14. sweetener // 7.71
lovin' it: Cqmerqn, Sam Judd, digitalking (10) / thank u, next: Theonix (4)

13. goodnight n go // 7.9
lovin' it: Andrew., Jonjo, digitalking, Jordan Lee (10) / thank u, next: coi (5.5)

Well hello! Coming at you a few hours early than I would have liked, but the afternoon/evening schedule is packed today.

I can really tell the quality of tracks are really rising as we approach the top 10. Two tracks just missing out, with average scores of just below 8 are two more tracks from 'sweetener' are:
At #14, what I like to call the "Bop-it bop." is the title track from 'sweetener', which managed to chart in the top 20 in Hungary and Ireland, top 30 in the UK and top 100 in quite a few other countries, probably down to it's almost annoying catchiness. Up until it's release, it was the highest charting non-single to not be released in the US at #55. Another 'Pharrell' production, It was the first song that was written and recorded for the album.

Then at #13 is the 'Imogen Heap' cover/remixed version of 'Goodnight and Go'. Ari has always stated that Imogen is a big influence for her and that's she is a big fan. The track came about after Ari invited Imogen to perform at her 'One Love Manchester' concert. Ari turned it into an EDM and Future Bass flavoured song, whilst maintaining the Choruses mid-tempo "balladness" (?) of the original. It was one of only two album tracks performed at 'Ariana Grande at the BBC.' along with 'R.E.M.'.
It also performed well in many music charts, charting top 20 in Hungary and top 100 in Australia, Canada, Portugal, Scotland and the USA. It received an impressive four 10s in this rate and is the first track to have a lowest score of above 4.

So her 'sweetener' album is still not fairing well at all, we only have the singles and the other only song I could have seen as a single yet to go. 'thank u, next' is still holding impressively strong!

sweetener: 11/15
thank u next: 04/12

+Quote this post
Jade
post 17th June 2019, 12:26 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Alone and wounded

I feel like on paper I should stan 'goodnight n go' as I've liked every Imogen song I've heard, but it's only ever been 'nice' at best. Maybe one day it'll creep up on me more.

I love a bit of 'sweetener' on the other hand, a bop! Or a 'bop it bop' as you put it Juliano, the nostalgia is real *_* anyway, the bridge is lovely and the chorus is enjoyable, infectious trash. I think I would've pegged this as my guess for highest 'sweetener' album track before knowing the results, never would've guessed 'everytime' ohmy.gif glad that's doing so well though!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 17th June 2019, 12:29 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Sweetener is one of the weakest across the two albums for me.

Goodnight n Go on the other-hand is lush heart.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 17th June 2019, 01:24 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I don't mind both of those, two of the better album tracks from sweetener (not that there's a lot of of them to choose from in that respect).

+Quote this post
Theonix
post 17th June 2019, 01:36 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

Sweetener is actual trash mellow.gif How is it above Imagine?!

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 08:40 PM