BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The UK and homophobia
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Chartfridays
post 24th January 2022, 09:37 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 135,527

Anyone else feel like homophobia is making an unwelcome comeback in the UK?

Home owners refusing to sell to gay couple. Surely it's not your house after you sell it so who cares if the new owners are gay?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60115606
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 25th January 2022, 01:00 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Well, that’s shocking. I don’t think homophonies has ever gone away properly. In Liverpool last year, there were a number of vicious homophobic related assaults on gay men in the city centre area

+Quote this post
DanielSwift
post 25th January 2022, 02:49 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 119,363

No one deserves to be judged for their sexuality. People who do are trash.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 25th January 2022, 03:26 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Homophobia has never gone away but certainly things were looking up for LGBT people in the last decade or so. Passing same sex marriages (but despite the Tories who voted against it and had to rely on opposition votes, let's not forget) was a big step and people are more relaxed about gay people in general. Look at Strictly where a same sex couple did really well and didn't cause any outrage (well apart from bigots on the internet).

But in other ways there is more of a disturbing turn. Hate crime has skyrocketed https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2...bigotry-britain and there have been a large increase in violent hate crimes - Liverpool (as mentioned earlier) and Birmingham particularly noticable and in some ways bigots have become emboldened.

There are a number of reasons I can think of. Social media with little to no regulation means that people can freely say what they couldn't say in public previously can link people with homophobic views easily and encourage others . Also a general sense of malaise in society some of it due to austerity and cuts to youth services etc means that people are angry and lash out at minorities.
Our Government reguarly dogwhistles to bigots as well - putting the likes of Liz Truss and Kemi Badenoch in charge of equalities when they don't believe in them at all.

Religion is dying out too but many of the people who do go to churches/synagogues/mosques too can often be more radical and we all know what these religions say about gay people.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 2nd February 2022, 12:55 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

If you want to see example of homophobia that happens everyday (and by no means one of the most violent) see below. Horrific.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/02/02/valen...chicken-tiktok/

And people say LGBT people have things easy nowadays...

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 3rd February 2022, 10:07 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/fe...mophobic-attack

What the f*** is wrong with people? 16 years old?

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 3rd February 2022, 10:10 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

I saw this - it reminded me of the story that inspired the Clapham Junction programme.

It is a sad fact that some young people are bred to be homophobic/hateful of others. We need to do better. Thoughts with the family and friends of the Dr. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Smint
post 16th March 2022, 11:59 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Another utterly vile story which indicates that it is unsafe to be a gay couple in many areas of the UK in 2022 and that they are completely fair game for harrasment and abuse without any consequences.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/03/15/hate-...n-douglas-lane/

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 16th March 2022, 03:14 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Gay hate crime hasnt increased, it's just reported more. Years ago we mostly didnt bother going to the police. I know I never have and neither have any of my friends of a certain age. My impression of society in general is that things are WAY better than they used to be. Yes extreme crimes still go on, but murders of gay people are nothing new, and neither is violence, slagging off, and intolerance against and between gay people. Seen it many times first hand, been beat up myself at school for no reason at all - not even a hate crime, it was a John crime.

Boy Owen says in his piece that he doesn;t know why hate crime reports have gone up. maybe he should try and get statistics on what is classified now as a hate crime and try comparing like-for-like stats or asking older gay people what life used to be like in the olden days to get actual facts before speculating that 2022 is worse than 2012 or 1972 or 1992. Frinstance the police report on hate "incidents" for things that aren't illegal, and there is no crime. As far as I'm aware they all get bunged together into one mass total and not broken down into categories like violence and murder. Those stats would be more telling if anyone has them as they would have been more likely to have been reported in the past.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 16th March 2022, 03:51 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a reduction since the 90’s (when fear of Aids was still rife) until the mid 2010’s, but then with a slight increase since the Brexit vote/Trump happened

A small minority of people seemed to feel empowered by what was going on and whilst most of the hate targeted ‘foreigners’ or non-white people, the majority of these people in my opinion are also homophobic/Biphobic/Transphobic.

Social media hasn’t helped with this empowerment - some posts I’ve seen (from non-LGBTQIA+ sources but promoting something LGBTQIA+ related) have a lot of people voicing their intolerant opinions

+Quote this post
Smint
post 16th March 2022, 10:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 16 2022, 03:14 PM) *
Gay hate crime hasnt increased, it's just reported more. Years ago we mostly didnt bother going to the police. I know I never have and neither have any of my friends of a certain age. My impression of society in general is that things are WAY better than they used to be. Yes extreme crimes still go on, but murders of gay people are nothing new, and neither is violence, slagging off, and intolerance against and between gay people. Seen it many times first hand, been beat up myself at school for no reason at all - not even a hate crime, it was a John crime.

Boy Owen says in his piece that he doesn;t know why hate crime reports have gone up. maybe he should try and get statistics on what is classified now as a hate crime and try comparing like-for-like stats or asking older gay people what life used to be like in the olden days to get actual facts before speculating that 2022 is worse than 2012 or 1972 or 1992. Frinstance the police report on hate "incidents" for things that aren't illegal, and there is no crime. As far as I'm aware they all get bunged together into one mass total and not broken down into categories like violence and murder. Those stats would be more telling if anyone has them as they would have been more likely to have been reported in the past.

No one is seriously stating that gay hate crime is worse than in the 1990s or even ten years ago but there is a perception and statistics to back up (and no the majority of LGBT hate crime is not reported) that things have turned bad again in the previous few years and rapidly. Just loook at the Pink News website who regularly report that and I don't think they would pretend things were getting worse if they were getting better.

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 16th March 2022, 10:32 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

I’m with popchartfreak - I’m only 37 but things have become way better for gay people in this country in my adult life, and based on older people I know had improved dramatically even before I became an adult. Of course you can find incidents of people being awful but in general this is a fantastic country to be gay. In some other parts of the world it’s still a capital offence and there are places closer to home where it’s not that bad but still taboo. I feel like we owe it to gay people in those countries to at least acknowledge that overall we’re very lucky to live where we do.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th March 2022, 10:45 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Smint @ Mar 16 2022, 10:02 PM) *
No one is seriously stating that gay hate crime is worse than in the 1990s or even ten years ago but there is a perception and statistics to back up (and no the majority of LGBT hate crime is not reported) that things have turned bad again in the previous few years and rapidly. Just loook at the Pink News website who regularly report that and I don't think they would pretend things were getting worse if they were getting better.

A useful place to look for hate crime is local news and non-Pink news outlets. Pink News might well be reacting to criticism (from me, included) that they reduced reporting on local attacks on gay people some time ago while they were wrapped up with other favourite themes, like praising gay-hating regimes for advances that weren't advances at all. So, in that respect, yes it probably does seem like an increase over the last few years. The key areas to look at would be murder, violence, job discrimination, stuff like that. Some trolls online, who may not even be in this country, recorded as hate crimes should be ignored from the stats. I would prefer to see break downs of actual crimes as opposed to some internet professional troublemakers stirring things distorting figures. If things are getting more troubling that should confirm it.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 25th March 2022, 05:01 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Those three thugs who beat a doctor to death, and pulled his trousers down afterwards to humiliate him, and beat into a man who tried to use his body as a human shield to protect him, have been jailed for 33 years and 18 years. All because they THOUGHT he was gay. They targeted another man, but left him alone for some reason, and went to the park to eob gay men.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 23rd April 2022, 06:27 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

Just read about the two men in Sligo who got (brutally) murdered in their own homes last week from a Grindr meet and I feel sick. Poor, poor people. sad.gif

I don't want to project my own feelings and emotions on the story and try and speak on behalf of the victims but being gay is incredibly lonely at the best of times and I imagine being in your 40's/50's like these two men were, especially in a small town can lead to you potentially dropping your guard - especially if you're chatting to an attractive 22 year old who is showing signs of interest. It is absolutely NOT their fault at all and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm in any way victim blaming but in general I do think that the combination of loneliness/feeling horny and the ability to just meet strangers and send them your home address so effortlessly is a really dangerous combination and I'm actually surprised there aren't more stories of this happening.

There's nothing stopping someone creating a Grindr profile and looking for someone to attack or murder. There's no security features in place on the app to fully verify who is behind the profile and too many people are still sending their locations and hooking up without even video chatting or meeting the other guy in public first.

I would have thought Grindr would have made a statement in support of these two men and issued a warning or advice on how to use the app safely but there was nothing.

Also this might be triggering for those who are sensitive to violence but these two men were apparently beheaded and castrated. In their own homes.

Be safe guys.

This post has been edited by shadow2009: 24th April 2022, 11:12 AM

+Quote this post
Smint
post 25th April 2022, 12:14 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

f*** that is awful especially the bit you censored. Read a horrible story about a man who moved to Manchester as that was going to be a safe space for him and was brutally attacked - almost killed for wearing a sequinned jacket on a night out. https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/04/23/gay-m...r-morgan-fevre/

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 26th April 2022, 05:10 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 135,527

QUOTE(Smint @ Apr 25 2022, 01:14 AM) *
f*** that is awful especially the bit you censored. Read a horrible story about a man who moved to Manchester as that was going to be a safe space for him and was brutally attacked - almost killed for wearing a sequinned jacket on a night out. https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/04/23/gay-m...r-morgan-fevre/

As horrible as this is, moving to Manchester - a town where a number gay and some straight men have dissappeared into a canal over a decade or so and the police have dismissed it all as just drunk guys/suicides rather than looking for any connection (which many locals reckon exists) is a interesting level of optismism.

This post has been edited by Chartfridays: 26th April 2022, 05:10 PM

+Quote this post
Smint
post 12th May 2022, 09:33 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

I know people on Buzzjack like charts but this is one that the UK is falling down each year (co-incidentally a few years after Johnson and Brexit) - the list of LGBTQ rankings compiled by advocacy group ILGA-Europe. https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/05/12/most-...uk-rainbow-map/

the UK was top as recently as 2014 so this is a cause of huge shame, this year falling 4 places to 14.

And this is before the likes of sending LGBT refugees to Rwanda, the ditching of European Convention of Human Rights in their assault on the legal profession and their U turns on conversion therapy ban. What a shameful country this is.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 10th June 2022, 03:57 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Not wanting to be a portent of doom but I think this could well be a feature as we go into Pride season. Far right groups, buoyed on by Culture wars making Pride parades unsafe even in western liberal Europe.Sad times.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/06/10/karls...-pride-germany/

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 11th June 2022, 09:05 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

anti-gay bullies is nothing new, though they usually do it to individuals rather than blatantly interrupting a march. The vast majority of Pride marches are fine and they go on worldwide. You can't go around being afraid, and things are way better overall than they used to be, but these days, hey, everyone has mobile phones and everyone knows it... video anything like this incident, hand it over to the police to arrest them and prosecute, stick it on Youtube. Keep at it till they catch and charge them. And if police are sat munching on doughnuts instead of helping crime victims youtube that too. Seems to be a distinct lack of footage so far, let's see some published!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 03:09 AM