BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The UK and homophobia
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Smint
post 12th June 2022, 09:25 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Well there's another lucky escape with another far right attack on a Pride event in the USA stopped just in time. Yes anti gay violence is nothing new but is increasing recently and co-ordinated assaults on Pride itself seems to be a very new thing by an empowered far right.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/member...77601f3d49ff6c4

Not saying don't go to Pride and give in to them but it is a worrying new development.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 12th June 2022, 01:49 PM
Post #22
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

These people will only listen to one thing.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th June 2022, 04:19 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Smint @ Jun 12 2022, 10:25 AM) *
Well there's another lucky escape with another far right attack on a Pride event in the USA stopped just in time. Yes anti gay violence is nothing new but is increasing recently and co-ordinated assaults on Pride itself seems to be a very new thing by an empowered far right.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/member...77601f3d49ff6c4

Not saying don't go to Pride and give in to them but it is a worrying new development.

This one was much more disturbing as it involved guns and could well have been (yet another) massacre in the USA. So huge thanks to the eagle-eyed member of the public who spotted them. Hopefully they will be locked up for a very long time. Until democratic governments devote enough cash towards infiltrating these right-wing fascists, and do more to charge them under existing laws, there will continue to be attempts to overthrow democracy and attack any part of it that they view as representing all that is bad about liberals and democracy. And that means people need to keep an eye open.

In the case of America, any society sick enough to allow murders of children to continue without reacting as all sane countries react, is always going to have mass murders as a regular occurrence. Guns and violence are ingrained into American culture and psyche. It's like going to tesco and buying an assault weapon. You can buy guns younger than you can drink alcohol. And I've lived with murder headlines in the USA ever since President Kennedy was assassinated. 60 years and nothing done. Statistically, and this is how insane it is, you seem safer in a Pride march in the USA than you are going to school in terms of likelihood of being murdered.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 12th June 2022, 06:46 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Yes USA is a very sick society with their gun ownership I have to say. Going back to the UK, one positive thing is that I don't know of any major active far right gangs being talked about like Combat 18 or the English Defence League were in recent decades. Unless anyone knows any different? Of course there are lone wolf and religious terrorists though.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 13th June 2022, 04:08 PM
Post #25
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

I don't know if you've ever read Another Day in the Death of America by Gary Younge, but it's a pretty sobering read on the state of gun violence in America rn. It's a toxic mix, especially when combined with the chronic lack of vital access to mental health services in some states.. we had Dunblane here in 1996 that seemed to be the tipping point, changing wider attitudes sufficiently to demand fundamental changes to make our society much safer.

Yesterday was actually 6 years to the day since the horrific Orlando nightclub shooting at Pulse- a reminder that such events whilst thankfully uncommon are still happening.. but as you say, the worst thing that can be done in the face of that is to give in but I do wonder just what it will take to make the same social acceptance/demand of change like we had here in the UK?

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 19th June 2022, 01:53 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jun 13 2022, 05:08 PM) *
I don't know if you've ever read Another Day in the Death of America by Gary Younge, but it's a pretty sobering read on the state of gun violence in America rn. It's a toxic mix, especially when combined with the chronic lack of vital access to mental health services in some states.. we had Dunblane here in 1996 that seemed to be the tipping point, changing wider attitudes sufficiently to demand fundamental changes to make our society much safer.

Yesterday was actually 6 years to the day since the horrific Orlando nightclub shooting at Pulse- a reminder that such events whilst thankfully uncommon are still happening.. but as you say, the worst thing that can be done in the face of that is to give in but I do wonder just what it will take to make the same social acceptance/demand of change like we had here in the UK?

I think it's a lot more difficult in the US though due to the 2nd amendment and the NRA. The only way I can see major change happening is if the democrats get a large majority in the senate. But that may not happen this century... Unless there is major reform for the senate to represent the population more accurately. The fact that each state gets 2 senate representatives regardless of population is ridiculous. California has a population of almost 40 million and has the same representation in the senate as Wyoming with a population of less than 600,000.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 19th June 2022, 04:40 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Jun 19 2022, 01:53 PM) *
I think it's a lot more difficult in the US though due to the 2nd amendment and the NRA. The only way I can see major change happening is if the democrats get a large majority in the senate. But that may not happen this century... Unless there is major reform for the senate to represent the population more accurately. The fact that each state gets 2 senate representatives regardless of population is ridiculous. California has a population of almost 40 million and has the same representation in the senate as Wyoming with a population of less than 600,000.

Think of it like the UN. The US and the UK both have 1 vote each, but the US has 6x the population. China, with a pooulation of 1.5 billion, has the ssme voting power in the UN as Ireland, a country of 6 million. The US, when formed, did NOT remove state sovereignty, which is why there are two senators per state; they represent the sovereignity of each state, where little Maine is equal in sovereignity to huge Texas. I doubt this can be changed, seeing as it is the founding principle of the country.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 11:29 AM