BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Fever ● 30 years on
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 7th March 2023, 07:12 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

6 March 1993 saw Madonna release her cover of 'Fever' as the fourth single from 'Erotica'. Originally released by Little Willie John in 1958 and popularised by Peggy Lee in 1958, Madonna's version gave the song a house makeover. It was a Top 40 hit across Europe, notably in the UK where it reached #6 and Finland where it was a #1 hit. The music video featured Madonna posing as an ancient goddess in front of colourful, kaleidoscopic backgrounds and uses a clubbier mix of the song by the original producer, Shep Pettibone.

Share your thoughts and memories of 'Fever' below!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 7th March 2023, 07:12 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

+Quote this post
Hotlady
post 7th March 2023, 07:16 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,586

It's such a amazing video and song. I really love it.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 7th March 2023, 07:23 PM
Post #4
Group icon
User: 13,007

It is far from my favourite from her. Infectious yes, but on the album it features, it ranks low. The video is an experience however, so creative, absurd and artistic.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 7th March 2023, 07:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

I heard this song (along with the rest of Erotica, bar the title track) for the first time 5 days ago laugh.gif From the small amount I knew about the album before listening I was expecting a slow song similar to the original, but turning it into a more upbeat dance number is a great reinvention!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 7th March 2023, 08:09 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I think it's a decent cover, but if I'm honest I'm not crazy about the song in any of its forms so, whilst I can appreciate the dancier vibe Madonna brings to it, it's never going to be one I properly seek out. I enjoy it in the context of the album though.

The video isn't one I've particularly paid much attention to but I like the surreal element of it, a bit like a blueprint to the 'Bedtime Story' video.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 7th March 2023, 08:21 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

All about the edit one remix! One of her worst videos for me!

The performance on the girlie show tour is so sexy 🥰

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 8th March 2023, 10:52 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

This gets a lot of stick, but I actually really like it! It gives the song a sort of vibey underground house feel.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th March 2023, 09:57 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I've previously been curious as to whether 'Fever' was always meant to be a single or whether it was only released to save the era after 'Bad Girl' flopped, what with it being a well-known cover and a 'safe' hit. It was released just one month after 'Bad Girl' with its music video filmed in April and released in May (two months after release). I assume the original plan was to release it as a single in May as it probably wouldn't have been feasible to just find the time and the resources to film a video out of the blue and there were occasions in the past where singles were released without prior plans to do so and didn't receive videos (i.e. 'Rescue Me'). It's just unusual for Madonna to want to release a cover as a single.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 9th March 2023, 06:51 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

^ Fever wasnt never meant to be a song at all.

Wasnt this originally a demo called goodbye to innocence but once in the studio Madonna started singing Fever and realised it fit!!

Im not surprised BG didnt do well , amazing video but the song is so overrated

+Quote this post
tommie
post 9th March 2023, 07:56 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Mar 8 2023, 10:57 PM) *
I've previously been curious as to whether 'Fever' was always meant to be a single or whether it was only released to save the era after 'Bad Girl' flopped, what with it being a well-known cover and a 'safe' hit. It was released just one month after 'Bad Girl' with its music video filmed in April and released in May (two months after release). I assume the original plan was to release it as a single in May as it probably wouldn't have been feasible to just find the time and the resources to film a video out of the blue and there were occasions in the past where singles were released without prior plans to do so and didn't receive videos (i.e. 'Rescue Me'). It's just unusual for Madonna to want to release a cover as a single.

IIRC, they commissioned remixes to Fever to have something for the clubs while Bad Girl was being promoted; you can tell that the video for Fever feels more like something that would be played on screens in clubs rather than on MTV. I think after the "underperformance" of Bad Girl, some markets just went ahead and released Fever on its own. I don't think it was released in the US beyond the clubs (which was always the plan?).

This post has been edited by tommie: 9th March 2023, 07:56 AM

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 9th March 2023, 12:00 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(vibe @ Mar 9 2023, 06:51 AM) *
Im not surprised BG didnt do well , amazing video but the song is so overrated

I think more than that though, it's not exactly the most commercially viable sounding song in the world so I can see why it didn't set the charts on fire.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th May 2024, 01:13 AM