BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> john's 1985 charts, streetwalking and pop synth rules
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Jun 30 2015, 11:06 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

7th May 1985

Another week on top for Tears For Fears, so perfect it’s held off the brilliant Ticket To Ride 20th anniversary reissue from The Beatles! Highest new entry is 19, or rather at 4 it’s 19 - Paul Hardcastle’s great Vietnam footage anti-war dance mash-up with dialogue, which came out of nowhere and was an instant sensation, sounding like something new and exciting at the time. Up 60 places, Steve Arrington really shows off those baggy robes and rockets to 5 with the terrific dance track Feel So Real. Also up, to 6, Animotion are getting even more of an obsession. Dead Or Alive also grab another top 10 hit, Lover Come Back To Me.

David Cassidy enters at 30, nestling behind his number one, with the similarly-moody Romance (Let Your Heart Go), while good climbs into the 40 for Toyah, Scritti Politti, Haywoode and Divine, with U2 being all sweeping strings drama as the fab title track to The Unforgettable Fire enters at 39. New Edition are back with Cool It Now, The Power Station cover T.Rex, and Jimmy Nail, actor big on UK TV at the time on TV dramas, has a go at covering Rose Royce’s classic 1978 Love Don’t Live Here Anymore, and it’s not bad despite singing wrong lyrics. It’s Eurovision Song Contest time, and Vikki represents the UK, in at 65. She didn’t win. Propaganda return with a track nearly as good as Dr. Mabuse, Duel, in at 66, ZTT were still cool as labels go. At 70, Go West follow-up a big hit with a single I preferred, Call Me is pretty good. Imagination are also back at 75, Found My Girl, and John Fogerty, he of 1960’s greats Creedence Clearwater Revival returns with Rock And Roll Girls, giving him a sweet 16 years of chart entries since Proud Mary.

1 ( 1 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
2 ( 3 ) TICKET TO RIDE The Beatles
3 ( 4 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
4 ( NEW ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
5 ( 65 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
6 ( 18 ) OBSESSION Animotion
7 ( 5 ) CRY Godley And Creme
8 ( 2 ) LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD Pat Benatar
9 ( 6 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
10 ( 12 ) LOVER COME BACK TO ME Dead Or Alive

11 ( 8 ) CLOUDS ACROSS THE MOON The Rah Band
12 ( 7 ) COULD IT BE I’M FALLING IN LOVE David Grant and Jaki Graham
13 ( 13 ) DON’T YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME) Simple Minds
14 ( 14 ) LOOK MAMA Howard Jones
15 ( 10 ) FREE YOURSELF The Untouchables
16 ( 9 ) BLACK MAN RAY China Crisis
17 ( 22 ) SUNSET GRILL Don Henley
18 ( 25 ) RYTHYM OF THE NIGHT DeBarge
19 ( 23 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
20 ( 26 ) I FEEL LOVE Bronski Beat and Marc Almond

21 ( 16 ) MOVE CLOSER Phyllis Nelson
22 ( 53 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
23 ( 11 ) LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN Dream Academy
24 ( 27 ) RAGE TO LOVE Kim Wilde
25 ( 15 ) GOING DOWN THE LIVERPOOL The Bangles
26 ( 30 ) WALKING ON SUNSHINE Katrina And The Waves
27 ( 28 ) I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU Freddie Mercury
28 ( 21 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
29 ( 24 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
30 ( NEW ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy

31 ( 32 ) RADIO AFRICA Latin Quarter
32 ( 60 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
33 ( 19 ) SPEND THE NIGHT The Cool Notes
34 ( 75 ) I WANT YOUR LOVIN’ Curtis Hairston
35 ( 20 ) MISSING YOU Diana Ross
36 ( 39 ) STAINSBY GIRLS Chris Rea
37 ( 46 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
38 ( 17 ) WE ARE THE WORLD USA For Africa
39 ( NEW ) THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE U2
40 ( 70 ) ROSES Haywoode

41 ( 44 ) EYE TO EYE Chaka Khan
42 ( 33 ) THE GLAMOROUS LIFE Sheila E
43 ( 61 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
44 ( 29 ) HANGING ON A STRING Loose Ends
45 ( 57 ) SO FAR AWAY Dire Straits
46 ( 43 ) LET’S GO CRAZY/ TAKE ME WITH U Prince
47 ( 31 ) SUGAR WALLS Sheena Easton
48 ( 40 ) KISS ME Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
49 ( 38 ) THAT WAS YESTERDAY Foreigner
50 ( 37 ) WIDE BOY Nik Kershaw

51 ( 34 ) BE NEAR ME ABC
52 ( 49 ) YOU SPIN ME ROUND (LIKE A RECORD) Dead Or Alive
53 ( 55 ) HEARTLINE Robin George
54 ( 35 ) WE CLOSE OUR EYES Go West
55 ( 66 ) LUCKY IN LOVE Mick Jagger
56 ( 36 ) MOMENTS IN LOVE The Art Of Noise
57 ( NEW ) COOL IT NOW New Edition
58 ( 45 ) ONE MORE NIGHT Phil Collins
59 ( NEW ) GET IT ON The Power Station
60 ( NEW ) LOVE DON’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE Jimmy Nail

61 ( 42 ) WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW King
62 ( 52 ) SOMEBODY Bryan Adams
63 ( 59 ) LEGS ZZ Top
64 ( 62 ) IT’S...IT’S...THE SWEET MIX The Sweet
65 ( NEW ) LOVE IS Vikki
66 ( NEW ) DUEL Propaganda
67 ( 64 ) SHAFT Eddy And The Soul Band
68 ( 63 ) GUN LAW The Kane Gang
69 ( 48 ) MATERIAL GIRL Madonna
70 ( NEW ) CALL ME Go West

71 ( 71 ) THE POWER OF LOVE Frankie Goes To Hollywood
72 ( NEW ) ROCK AND ROLL GIRLS John Fogerty
73 ( NEW ) NO REST New Model Army
74 ( 50 ) LOVE COMES Gary Glitter
75 ( NEW ) FOUND MY GIRL Imagination

TV 4th-10th May
1 The Main Event: film
2 The Poseidon Adventure: film
3 Cheers
4 Top Of The Pops
5 The Phil Silvers Show
6 Hill Street Blues
7 Lou Grant
8 Eurovision Song Contest
9 The Bill Cosby Show
10 Dallas

In My Life, as a Beatle once said, I wrote half a song and some naff lyrics, twiddling on my synth-computer. At work, Bob was hyped up as he neared the end of the surveying road, and his proper job approached. I was still having so many laughs with Bob, not everyone gets my sense of humour, but when they do it’s fab! The closer it got the more depressed about it I became, and quite choked on his last day. Things were just not the same after he finished even if I was getting lined up to take over team leader job. New lad Jason started work for the other team, Heavy Metal fan, affable and pleasant - and 4 years later he, Bob and I all went to New York and the North-East USA, and I went to his wedding in the 90‘s, so it all turned out OK. Yay! On TV top TV show was Cheers, and top non-sit-com was Top Of The Pops.

Eurovision 1985:

Norway won with a lot of sympathy votes for all the nul points, I think, cos I didn’t rate it that high: Let It Swing (Bobbysocks). My faves: 1. West Germany 2. UK 3. Italy (Tyrone Power’s daughter) 4. Luxembourg (UK 60’s star Malcolm Roberts and 1974’s Irene Shears) 5. Norway/Sweden/Switzerland. Pretty close to the results actually, just shuffled a bit round and Israel and Ireland added in instead of Switzerland and Luxembourg.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 1 2015, 02:21 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
14th May 1985

Paul Hardcastle bags his first and last chart-topper as the still rather good 19 denies the equally still good Feel So Real the top slot. Poor Steve Arrington! Top 10 spaces are newly occupied by Toyah, 2 years since her last one Rebel Run and her 5th in 4 years; Bronski Beat and Marc Almond covering I Feel Love and making it sound much more dated than the original genius Giorgio Moroder game-changer. Not the finest moment for either act, and Bronski Beat split soon after. Simple Minds also add to their run of top 10’s with the great Don’t You Forget About Me, and Diana Ross reverses direction yet again and hits a new peak of 11.

Bryan Ferry is at 20 with his first solo single since Roxy Music ended for the second and final time (recording-wise), though you’d be hard-pressed to tell the difference sound-wise as it was business as usual, Slave To Love being latter-Roxy classy laid-back vibes, though not exactly exciting. Go West have a great leap into the 40, Call Me has a great very 80’s video and some very 80’s movements going on that would bring very odd looks these days!

New entries: Style Council, Walls Came Tumbling Down, one of their better singles at 42; Loose Ends have that Magic Touch - well enough to get a second single entry at 45; Duran Duran do a one-off single for the James Bond theme, View To A Kill, and produce a video and song that’s actually better then the film, one of their best 80’s tracks and typically Bond-ian at 47; a new brother and sister act from the UK start their own brand of UK sweet soul-dance at 50, Five Star, All Fall Down. Popular with the kiddies for a couple of years, and occasionally the odd-single with older folk; Stephen Duffy also gets a quick follow-up at 58, which must have been the icing on the cake for him - at least until he started working with Robbie Williams 2 decades later; Depeche Mode try to shake the disease at 62, and try to shake a career as a singles band into the bargain as they start to morph into a sombre influential albums act; Marvin Gaye has a posthumous single, Strawberry Switchblade pop in with a 3rd single, and Philip Bailey is walking on the Chinese Wall.

1 ( 4 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
2 ( 5 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
3 ( 1 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
4 ( 6 ) OBSESSION Animotion
5 ( 3 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
6 ( 7 ) CRY Godley And Creme
7 ( 15 ) FREE YOURSELF The Untouchables
8 ( 20 ) I FEEL LOVE Bronski Beat and Marc Almond
9 ( 22 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
10 ( 13 ) DON’T YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME) Simple Minds

11 ( 35 ) MISSING YOU Diana Ross
12 ( 2 ) TICKET TO RIDE The Beatles
13 ( 18 ) RYTHYM OF THE NIGHT DeBarge
14 ( 14 ) LOOK MAMA Howard Jones
15 ( 19 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
16 ( 30 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
17 ( 17 ) SUNSET GRILL Don Henley
18 ( 12 ) COULD IT BE I’M FALLING IN LOVE David Grant and Jaki Graham
19 ( 9 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
20 ( NEW ) SLAVE TO LOVE Bryan Ferry

21 ( 11 ) CLOUDS ACROSS THE MOON The Rah Band
22 ( 37 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
23 ( 8 ) LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD Pat Benatar
24 ( 24 ) RAGE TO LOVE Kim Wilde
25 ( 34 ) I WANT YOUR LOVIN’ Curtis Hairston
26 ( 10 ) LOVER COME BACK TO ME Dead Or Alive
27 ( 27 ) I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU Freddie Mercury
28 ( 60 ) LOVE DON’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE Jimmy Nail
29 ( 32 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
30 ( 39 ) THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE U2

31 ( 26 ) WALKING ON SUNSHINE Katrina And The Waves
32 ( 16 ) BLACK MAN RAY China Crisis
33 ( 43 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
34 ( 70 ) CALL ME Go West
35 ( 21 ) MOVE CLOSER Phyllis Nelson
36 ( 23 ) LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN Dream Academy
37 ( 29 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
38 ( 41 ) EYE TO EYE Chaka Khan
39 ( 31 ) RADIO AFRICA Latin Quarter
40 ( 40 ) ROSES Haywoode

41 ( 36 ) STAINSBY GIRLS Chris Rea
42 ( NEW ) WALLS COME TUMBLING DOWN The Style Council
43 ( 28 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
44 ( 53 ) HEARTLINE Robin George
45 ( NEW ) MAGIC TOUCH Loose Ends
46 ( 25 ) GOING DOWN THE LIVERPOOL The Bangles
47 ( NEW ) VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran
48 ( 59 ) GET IT ON The Power Station
49 ( 33 ) SPEND THE NIGHT The Cool Notes
50 ( NEW ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star

51 ( 38 ) WE ARE THE WORLD USA For Africa
52 ( 46 ) LET’S GO CRAZY/ TAKE ME WITH U Prince
53 ( 44 ) HANGING ON A STRING Loose Ends
54 ( 55 ) LUCKY IN LOVE Mick Jagger
55 ( 52 ) YOU SPIN ME ROUND (LIKE A RECORD) Dead Or Alive
56 ( 45 ) SO FAR AWAY Dire Straits
57 ( 57 ) COOL IT NOW New Edition
58 ( NEW ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
59 ( 42 ) THE GLAMOROUS LIFE Sheila E
60 ( NEW ) SHAKE THE DISEASE Depeche Mode

61 ( 47 ) SUGAR WALLS Sheena Easton
62 ( NEW ) THE CHINESE WALL Philip Bailey
63 ( 51 ) BE NEAR ME ABC
64 ( 48 ) KISS ME Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
65 ( 50 ) WIDE BOY Nik Kershaw
66 ( 64 ) IT’S...IT’S...THE SWEET MIX The Sweet
67 ( 66 ) DUEL Propaganda
68 ( 54 ) WE CLOSE OUR EYES Go West
69 ( 63 ) LEGS ZZ Top
70 ( NEW ) WHO KNOWS WHAT LOVE IS Strawberry Switchblade

71 ( 71 ) THE POWER OF LOVE Frankie Goes To Hollywood
72 ( 58 ) ONE MORE NIGHT Phil Collins
73 ( 65 ) LOVE IS Vikki
74 ( 67 ) SHAFT Eddy And The Soul Band
75 ( NEW ) SANCTIFIED LADY Marvin Gaye

TV 11th-17th MAY
1 The Young Ones: Bambi
2 Star Trek: Mudd’s Women
3 Hill Street Blues
4 Cheers
5 Lou Grant
6 Top Of The Pops
7 The Bill Cosby Show
8 Dallas
9 The Max Headroom Show
10 Taxi

Got my moped at last. No more buses to work, thankfully! On the news the Bradford football ground fire disaster scenes were horrific, very very upsetting seeing people on fire, mum burst into tears, and I was reminded again of Dale’s tragic death. Coming back from Bulbarrow, via Hurn Airport, at work one day, the van got stuck in traffic due to an airplane crash near Ringwood, 2 police pilots killed. I took mum to Bulbarrow at the weekend to see the carpets of bluebells covering the woodland floor near the top of the hill, the scent was just gorgeous - there aren’t many things that smell better than thousands of bluebells en masse. Heaven! Less heavenly were the squealing pigs at the slaughterhouse the work van passed by, which reminded me of an early childhood upset when we lived in rural Norfolk nearby a slaughterhouse so got to hear them whenever we passed. I swore to turn vegetarian one day. Took me many years, but I did it in the early 90’s, better late than never!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 1 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
21st May 1985

2 weeks for 19, another one held at 2, this time it’s Animotion and their fab Obsession, which was my obsession for a time. Toyah goes top 5, and Bryan Ferry gets a top 10 with Slave To Love for a nice dozen years of ‘em. Eurythmics, meanwhile, have a mere 2 years, albeit quite a massive run of top 10 singles, though if you include The Tourists (and I do) it’s 6 years-worth. David Cassidy gets a second top 10 in a row with some Romance, which fits nicely in with his 14 years-old I Think I Love You chart-topper with The Partridge Family. Divine pouts in his dress at some cowboys in the video, and grabs a number 10 Hi Energy (as they called it then) dance track with The Four Seasons classic. I bet Frankie Valli didn’t imagine that one coming along....

Belouis Some uses his Imagination and enters the 20, as Go West call me about them doing the same, and let’s not forget U2’s fire burning at 18, and Kim Wilde raging at 19 - it had taken her so long to climb there she must have been livid. The Style Council knock down the walls of the top 40, and Duran Duran are just behind at 27 thanks to James Bond. Highest new entry is an oldie from 1978, A Taste Of Honey are boogie and oogie and oogie-ing back in at 32, I presume in remixed form as was the forthcoming obsession of the late 80’s. Nothing punters enjoyed more than having a 70’s dance classic messed about with, some synthy beeps and renta-rhythm and toots added, and hey presto an excuse for it to sound all fresh and current. For about 5 years, at which point is began to sound horribly dated and opportunistic, and the original version classy.

Other top 40 climbers: Depeche Mode, Mick Jagger, Loose Ends, Five Star, Philip Bailey and The Power Station all bang a gong, getting it on. New entries outside the 40 include, REO Speedwagon having one lonely night with yet another MOR rock ballad at 42, US soap actor, Australian Rick Springfield returning with his UK breakthrough hit, Celebrate Youth. I wish that I had Jessie’s Girl in my charts instead though. At 47, it’s an Elvis Costello oldie getting a single release, Green Shirt, while China Crisis are literally besides themselves to be at 48 and 49, with King In A Catholic Style. At 53 Gary Moore and Phil Lynott get together for the final time outside Thin Lizzy, a few short months before Phil’s unexpected death at a young age. Out In The Fields was a great single. Marillion also return with their best single, Kayleigh, at 57, and also not that long before Fish bailed out of the boat.

At 59, Prince keeps his run of hits going, fresh from his new album Around The World In A Day, full of 60’s psychedelic musical freshness, courtesy of Paisley Park. He, to coin an already used phrase, is also beside himself to be at 58 too with the last 2 tracks off Purple Rain. He was nothing if not prolific and inventive. Dan Hartman is also back again, at 60, it being second nature to him by now, having 7 years of experience. At 62, Kool And The Gang cherish the moment they manage to grab an entry with a bland ballad, a huge hit but not their finest moment, while at 64, having a solo duo moment, Francis Rossi leaves the status quo for a tick, and has a modern romance. At least he’s not IN Modern Romance! At 67, Jermaine Jackson makes it 5 years of Dynamite solo hits, though I want him back with The Jackson 5 myself, but as he married the Motown boss’ daughter I guess he had no option when his brothers left Motown. At 70 it’s Skipworth and Turner. Google here I come! Ah, American dance hit. Watch Me Catch Fire by Big Heat was produced (and had vocals from) Elvis Costello, removed from the BBC playlist due to the Bradford football stadium fire disaster, and it’s not on youtube or itunes, so it will doubtless remain obscure forever more. At 74, old hero Roy Wood marks one of his occasional blink-before-you-miss-it singles chart for-old-times-sake entries, Under Fire. I assume it had no chance of being playlisted for the same reason. Finally, 75, Pennye Ford, Dangerous, another US dance hit.

1 ( 1 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
2 ( 4 ) OBSESSION Animotion
3 ( 2 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
4 ( 9 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
5 ( 3 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
6 ( 7 ) FREE YOURSELF The Untouchables
7 ( 20 ) SLAVE TO LOVE Bryan Ferry
8 ( 15 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
9 ( 16 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
10 ( 22 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine

11 ( 6 ) CRY Godley And Creme
12 ( 13 ) RYTHYM OF THE NIGHT DeBarge
13 ( 5 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
14 ( 11 ) MISSING YOU Diana Ross
15 ( 33 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
16 ( 8 ) I FEEL LOVE Bronski Beat and Marc Almond
17 ( 34 ) CALL ME Go West
18 ( 30 ) THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE U2
19 ( 24 ) RAGE TO LOVE Kim Wilde
20 ( 12 ) TICKET TO RIDE The Beatles

21 ( 29 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
22 ( 10 ) DON’T YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME) Simple Minds
23 ( 28 ) LOVE DON’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE Jimmy Nail
24 ( 25 ) I WANT YOUR LOVIN’ Curtis Hairston
25 ( 14 ) LOOK MAMA Howard Jones
26 ( 42 ) WALLS COME TUMBLING DOWN The Style Council
27 ( 47 ) VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran
28 ( 19 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
29 ( 31 ) WALKING ON SUNSHINE Katrina And The Waves
30 ( 18 ) COULD IT BE I’M FALLING IN LOVE David Grant and Jaki Graham

31 ( 27 ) I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU Freddie Mercury
32 ( NEW ) BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE A Taste Of Honey
33 ( 45 ) MAGIC TOUCH Loose Ends
34 ( 48 ) GET IT ON The Power Station
35 ( 50 ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star
36 ( 40 ) ROSES Haywoode
37 ( 60 ) SHAKE THE DISEASE Depeche Mode
38 ( 21 ) CLOUDS ACROSS THE MOON The Rah Band
39 ( 62 ) THE CHINESE WALL Philip Bailey
40 ( 54 ) LUCKY IN LOVE Mick Jagger

41 ( 17 ) SUNSET GRILL Don Henley
42 ( 23 ) LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD Pat Benatar
43 ( NEW ) ONE LONELY NIGHT REO Speedwagon
44 ( 37 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
45 ( NEW ) CELEBRATE YOUTH Rick Springfield
46 ( 36 ) LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN Dream Academy
47 ( NEW ) GREEN SHIRT Elvis Costello
48 ( 32 ) BLACK MAN RAY China Crisis
49 ( NEW ) KING IN A CATHOLIC STYLE China Crisis
50 ( 43 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World

51 ( 26 ) LOVER COME BACK TO ME Dead Or Alive
52 ( 58 ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
53 ( NEW ) OUT IN THE FIELDS Gary Moore and Phil Lynott
54 ( 35 ) MOVE CLOSER Phyllis Nelson
55 ( 39 ) RADIO AFRICA Latin Quarter
56 ( 46 ) GOING DOWN THE LIVERPOOL The Bangles
57 ( NEW ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
58 ( 52 ) LET’S GO CRAZY/ TAKE ME WITH U Prince
59 ( NEW ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
60 ( NEW ) SECOND NATURE Dan Hartman

61 ( 55 ) YOU SPIN ME ROUND (LIKE A RECORD) Dead Or Alive
62 ( NEW ) CHERISH Kool And The Gang
63 ( 49 ) SPEND THE NIGHT The Cool Notes
64 ( NEW ) MODERN ROMANCE Rossi & Frost
65 ( 38 ) EYE TO EYE Chaka Khan
66 ( 53 ) HANGING ON A STRING Loose Ends
67 ( NEW ) DYNAMITE Jermaine Jackson
68 ( 66 ) IT’S...IT’S...THE SWEET MIX The Sweet
69 ( 41 ) STAINSBY GIRLS Chris Rea
70 ( NEW ) THINKING ABOUT YOUR LOVE Skipworth & Turner

71 ( NEW ) WATCH ME CATCH FIRE Big Heat
72 ( 75 ) SANCTIFIED LADY Marvin Gaye
73 ( 71 ) THE POWER OF LOVE Frankie Goes To Hollywood
74 ( NEW ) UNDER FIRE Roy Wood
75 ( NEW ) DANGEROUS Pennye Ford

TV 18th-24th May
1 Star Trek: The Enemy Within
2 Hill Street Blues
3 Cheers
4 The Phil Silvers Show
5 The Young Ones
6 Lou Grant
7 Top Of The Pops
8 Dallas
9 Newhart
10 The Bill Cosby Show

I had my first moped accident less than 2 weeks after getting it, sliding off as I turned on wet roads to the right, and the moped remained sliding to the left. Banged all my right side, went head over heels, tore a hole in my gloves, and was SO thankful I bought a very big helmet which cushioned my head, and that no car was coming the other way. I also felt an idiot afterwards after retrieving the revving bike and having to try and pick up all my money which had scattered everywhere, in between passing cars. My indicator light also smashed, which wasn’t helpful as I had to continue on to work for an achy day.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 3 2015, 09:49 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
28th May 1985

3rd week on top for Paul Hardcastle as Toyah gets her biggest single at 3 and Belouis Some and Go West get their first top 10 hits. Scritti Politti have a third top 20 and Gary Moore and Phil Lynott a second, Out In The Fields rocketing up to 14 and beating quite a few Thin Lizzy singles peaks to boot. The Style Council, Jimmy Nail and Duran Duran also hit the 20.

Highest new entry is OMD, So In Love at 26, and one of their most melodic singles, such a great tune and a mystifyingly low UK chart peak, though they were very much on the up in the USA by this point. 5 years on since they had their first number one with Messages and yet to fail to make my charts. Into the 40 go Prince, Rick Springfield, REO Speedwagon and Stephen ‘Tin Tin’ Duffy, along with a new entry at 36 for Mai Tai, and a great dance track, History.

Lower down, Propaganda pop back in after a brief exit, 52 with Duel, Gary Numan does a live version of Are ‘Friends’ Electric, Ian Dury is hitting his rhythm stick again at 57, 7 years on, and Bryan Adams gets his 3rd hit with Heaven, a song that came back big-time as a dance cover almost 2 decades later, but the original live ballad version is still good at 66. There’s a brace of classic soul stars around the bottom of the chart, joining Marvin Gaye, as Edwin Starr enters at 68 with It Ain’t Fair for 15 years of chart entries, Bill Withers says Oh Yeah at 74 for 13 years-worth, and Billy Ocean is Suddenly in at 75 for 11 years in total since Scorched Earth debuted (the band was effectively Billy under another name). That leaves at 70 Alien-loving David Bowie’s 13 year-run of chart entries, bar a couple of forgettable singles, generally live versions. I’m not a fan of live versions of old songs for the most part, but quite happy with new ones - hello Bryan Adams again.

1 ( 1 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
2 ( 2 ) OBSESSION Animotion
3 ( 4 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
4 ( 3 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
5 ( 9 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
6 ( 15 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
7 ( 7 ) SLAVE TO LOVE Bryan Ferry
8 ( 5 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
9 ( 17 ) CALL ME Go West
10 ( 6 ) FREE YOURSELF The Untouchables

11 ( 8 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
12 ( 21 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
13 ( 10 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
14 ( 53 ) OUT IN THE FIELDS Gary Moore and Phil Lynott
15 ( 23 ) LOVE DON’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE Jimmy Nail
16 ( 19 ) RAGE TO LOVE Kim Wilde
17 ( 11 ) CRY Godley And Creme
18 ( 26 ) WALLS COME TUMBLING DOWN The Style Council
19 ( 13 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
20 ( 27 ) VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran

21 ( 12 ) RYTHYM OF THE NIGHT DeBarge
22 ( 37 ) SHAKE THE DISEASE Depeche Mode
23 ( 18 ) THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE U2
24 ( 33 ) MAGIC TOUCH Loose Ends
25 ( 29 ) WALKING ON SUNSHINE Katrina And The Waves
26 ( NEW ) SO IN LOVE OMD
27 ( 14 ) MISSING YOU Diana Ross
28 ( 59 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
29 ( 57 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
30 ( 34 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) The Power Station

31 ( 16 ) I FEEL LOVE Bronski Beat and Marc Almond
32 ( 32 ) BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE A Taste Of Honey
33 ( 22 ) DON’T YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME) Simple Minds
34 ( 28 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
35 ( 39 ) THE CHINESE WALL Philip Bailey
36 ( NEW ) HISTORY Mai Tai
37 ( 20 ) TICKET TO RIDE The Beatles
38 ( 45 ) CELEBRATE YOUTH Rick Springfield
39 ( 43 ) ONE LONELY NIGHT REO Speedwagon
40 ( 52 ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy

41 ( 70 ) THINKING ABOUT YOUR LOVE Skipworth & Turner
42 ( 31 ) I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU Freddie Mercury
43 ( 30 ) COULD IT BE I’M FALLING IN LOVE David Grant and Jaki Graham
44 ( 25 ) LOOK MAMA Howard Jones
45 ( 24 ) I WANT YOUR LOVIN’ Curtis Hairston
46 ( 44 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
47 ( 35 ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star
48 ( 49 ) KING IN A CATHOLIC STYLE China Crisis
49 ( 38 ) CLOUDS ACROSS THE MOON The Rah Band
50 ( 60 ) SECOND NATURE Dan Hartman

51 ( 40 ) LUCKY IN LOVE Mick Jagger
52 ( RE ) DUEL Propaganda
53 ( NEW ) ARE ‘FRIENDS’ ELECTRIC Gary Numan
54 ( 36 ) ROSES Haywoode
55 ( 42 ) LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD Pat Benatar
56 ( 50 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
57 ( NEW ) HIT ME WITH YOUR RHYTHM STICK Ian Dury And The Blockheads
58 ( 62 ) CHERISH Kool And The Gang
59 ( 47 ) GREEN SHIRT Elvis Costello
60 ( 46 ) LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN Dream Academy

61 ( 41 ) SUNSET GRILL Don Henley
62 ( 58 ) LET’S GO CRAZY/ TAKE ME WITH U Prince
63 ( 48 ) BLACK MAN RAY China Crisis
64 ( 61 ) YOU SPIN ME ROUND (LIKE A RECORD) Dead Or Alive
65 ( 51 ) LOVER COME BACK TO ME Dead Or Alive
66 ( NEW ) HEAVEN (LIVE) Bryan Adams
67 ( 64 ) MODERN ROMANCE Rossi & Frost
68 ( NEW ) IT AIN’T FAIR Edwin Starr
69 ( NEW ) EVERYTHING I NEED Men At Work
70 ( NEW ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie

71 ( 56 ) GOING DOWN THE LIVERPOOL The Bangles
72 ( 72 ) SANCTIFIED LADY Marvin Gaye
73 ( 68 ) IT’S...IT’S...THE SWEET MIX The Sweet
74 ( NEW ) OH YEAH Bill Withers
75 ( NEW ) SUDDENLY Billy Ocean

TV 25th-31st May
1 Top Of The Pops
2 Cheers
3 Lou Grant
4 The Bill Cosby Show
5 Bewitched

On friday I drove to Mansfield to stay with my brother, sister in law Sue, hyper toddler niece Vicki who was all over me, and baby Gavin. Mum rang upset over the death of a Marine on camp she knew. On Saturday 25th I drove to pick up Jane and Dave, College friends, and we went to the wedding of Paul and Sheila in Rotherham. A fab day, great to see College friends and Paul’s school mates who I knew quite well, though the high-class reception hall was a bit above my experiences and I put my foot in it a few times with my quips. Hey ho, posh people have no sense of humour! We prettied up the honeymoon car with toilet paper and lipstick, as Paul & Sheila were setting off for Paris in it the next day. Very thoughtful of us, I thought.

My interest in TV shows reaches a new low in 1985, as US genre and sitcom imports decline and UK shows mirror the huge big Soap obsession of the time. I had no interest in Eastenders, Neighbours, Coronation Street and Dynasty, and even the sometimes amusing Dallas was past it’s best. Oldie re-runs had also declined, so that leaves Top Of The Pops as the best show on TV and my TV chart down to a pathetic list of 5, and not long before I gave up on it altogether.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 14 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
4th June 1985

1st week on top for American EDM act Animotion, or synthpop as was. It had taken The Americans a few years to catch up with the pop movement, but this one was on a par with a great Human League track. Fab. Rocketing up to 3 with their 8th top 5 hit in 5 years, it’s the wonderful OMD and a terrific record that mysteriously was only a minor UK hit, and I can only put it down to them being in the States as they belatedly took off there 5 years late and with most of their great 80‘s records behind them. Happily there were great ones in subsequent decades too. Scritti Politti get a 3rd top 10, Word Girl, as Phil Lynott and Gary Moore go top 10 for the first time since Yellow Pearl in 1982 (Phil), or KIller On The Loose (Thin Lizzy) in 1980 depending on how you look at it.

Up to 13, Mai Tai’s terrific History beats strongly upwards, just ahead of the even greater leaping of Duel, as Propaganda get that 2nd top 20. History will show which one wins the Duel! Stephen Duffy gets a 2nd top 20, which must be the icing on the cake for him, and Depeche Mode add to their long list of top 20 tracks, a disease they just can’t shake off. Highest new entry is the theme to a big Eddie Murphy movie Beverley Hills Cop, the instrumental synth novelty of Axel F from German Howard Faltemeyer, in at 22. I say novelty, I mean catchy, the real novelty nightmare came 20 years later when an obnoxious and irritating cartoon frog covered it. It’s the closest I’ve ever come to wanting to exterminate an amphibian.

At 23, new in and debuting it’s Modern Talking another German pop act, this time a synth duo with a gorgeously cheesy EDM tune which flopped in the UK, though they hit with their next record. This was the better song though, You’re My Heart You’re My Soul. Bryan Adams gets a 3rd top 40, he’s in heaven about it, as are Five Star all falling down while loving David Bowie’s alien, all together with new entries from New Order (give us a Perfect Kiss, then) at 39, and at 40 The Beach Boys return with their best record of the 80’s Getcha Back giving them a clear run of 17 years of top 40 singles, since they appeared in my very first chart ever with Do It Again.

Elsewhere, Nick Heyward keeps the run of solo singles charting with Laura at 53, The Crowd cover You’ll Never Walk Alone to raise money for victims of the Bradford City FC terrible fire disaster. The main man was still Gerry Marsden, of Gerry And The Pacemakers who hit the UK number one with it in 1963 as part of their famous chart debut hat-trick, still the best version of the show tune and musical offcut from Carousel. It’s still rousing and eventually topped my chart on one if it’s UK chart re-entries in the 21st century, and pretty much would have topped my chart in 1963 along with I Like It and How Do You Do, and also Ferry Cross The Mersey, cos I loved them all, and the River Mersey and Liverpool was a constant in in my life on and off for the first 30 years or so. This was a well-meaning version, with a choir of pop stars and celebrities such as Colin Blunstone, Tony Christie, Kiki Dee, Graham Gouldman of 10CC and Phil Lynott getting his second simultaneous chart hit, and UK chart-topper, months before his early death.

At 60, Roy Wood, me old fave, is back at 60 Under Fire, as Bruce is back and he’s actually On Fire at 63 with a fab ballad and an over-rated anthem Born In The USA which went over the heads of many people who took it literally as a patriotic flag-waving opportunity and ruined the social commentary of US politics, the Viet-Nam war veteran treatment, and the working man under the foot of the rich right-wing. Just shows people don’t always listen to the lyrics, not even President Reagan who missed the point completely. At 67, Sister Sledge are back with an actual non-Chic new track. Sadly, it’s the monster UK hit Frankie which doesn’t take many repeat listens to annoy. Pat Benatar also drops by again, and so Elton John (14 years and counting) and Millie Jackson who rather amazingly debuts some 13 years late, as My Man Is A Sweet Man and other early 70’s singles didn’t chart. Act Of War is a good vocal battle though, and Millie wins on a knockout, you don’t mess with her!

1 ( 2 ) OBSESSION Animotion
2 ( 1 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
3 ( 26 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
4 ( 6 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
5 ( 5 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
6 ( 9 ) CALL ME Go West
7 ( 3 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
8 ( 12 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
9 ( 4 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
10 ( 14 ) OUT IN THE FIELDS Gary Moore and Phil Lynott

11 ( 8 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
12 ( 7 ) SLAVE TO LOVE Bryan Ferry
13 ( 36 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
14 ( 52 ) DUEL Propaganda
15 ( 15 ) LOVE DON’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE Jimmy Nail
16 ( 18 ) WALLS COME TUMBLING DOWN The Style Council
17 ( 40 ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
18 ( 11 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
19 ( 22 ) SHAKE THE DISEASE Depeche Mode
20 ( 10 ) FREE YOURSELF The Untouchables

21 ( 17 ) CRY Godley And Creme
22 ( NEW ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
23 ( NEW ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
24 ( 13 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
25 ( 39 ) ONE LONELY NIGHT REO Speedwagon
26 ( 29 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
27 ( 19 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
28 ( 28 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
29 ( 16 ) RAGE TO LOVE Kim Wilde
30 ( 66 ) HEAVEN (LIVE) Bryan Adams

31 ( 21 ) RYTHYM OF THE NIGHT DeBarge
32 ( 20 ) VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran
33 ( 47 ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star
34 ( 23 ) THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE U2
35 ( 35 ) THE CHINESE WALL Philip Bailey
36 ( 38 ) CELEBRATE YOUTH Rick Springfield
37 ( 24 ) MAGIC TOUCH Loose Ends
38 ( 70 ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie
39 ( NEW ) THE PERFECT KISS New Order
40 ( NEW ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys

41 ( 41 ) THINKING ABOUT YOUR LOVE Skipworth & Turner
42 ( 25 ) WALKING ON SUNSHINE Katrina And The Waves
43 ( 53 ) ARE ‘FRIENDS’ ELECTRIC (LIVE) Gary Numan
44 ( 34 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
45 ( 31 ) I FEEL LOVE Bronski Beat and Marc Almond
46 ( 27 ) MISSING YOU Diana Ross
47 ( 57 ) HIT ME WITH YOUR RHYTHM STICK Ian Dury And The Blockheads
48 ( 48 ) KING IN A CATHOLIC STYLE China Crisis
49 ( 33 ) DON’T YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME) Simple Minds
50 ( 68 ) IT AIN’T FAIR Edwin Starr

51 ( 46 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
52 ( 37 ) TICKET TO RIDE The Beatles
53 ( NEW ) LAURA Nick Heyward
54 ( 58 ) CHERISH Kool And The Gang
55 ( 30 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) The Power Station
56 ( NEW ) YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE The Crowd
57 ( 32 ) BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE A Taste Of Honey
58 ( RE ) GIMME GIMME GIMME Narada Michael Walden and Patti Austin
59 ( 43 ) COULD IT BE I’M FALLING IN LOVE David Grant and Jaki Graham
60 ( NEW ) UNDER FIRE Roy Wood

61 ( 56 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
62 ( 49 ) CLOUDS ACROSS THE MOON The Rah Band
63 ( NEW ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
64 ( 44 ) LOOK MAMA Howard Jones
65 ( 75 ) SUDDENLY Billy Ocean
66 ( 64 ) YOU SPIN ME ROUND (LIKE A RECORD) Dead Or Alive
67 ( NEW ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
68 ( NEW ) SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT Pat Benatar
69 ( 59 ) GREEN SHIRT Elvis Costello
70 ( NEW ) ACT OF WAR Elton John and Millie Jackson

71 ( 50 ) SECOND NATURE Dan Hartman
72 ( 62 ) LET’S GO CRAZY/ TAKE ME WITH U Prince
73 ( NEW ) JET SET Alphaville
74 ( 60 ) LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN Dream Academy
75 ( NEW ) REMEMBER I LOVE YOU Jim Diamond

This week in 1985 I recorded myself singing, curious to hear what I sound like. As it turns out, I sung all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. Anything vocally demanding turned into the flattest thing created since the crispy pizza. I mused I could cope with mellow songs like Love Hurts (Jim Capaldi version, not the impossible-to-match Roy Orbison) Tie A Yellow Ribbon, or laid-back Cat Stevens songs. I have never done Karaoke in public, but if I got drunk one night I would insist on Tie A Yellow Ribbon as it’s the least-demanding song vocally I can come up with. I would need two mates dressed in mini-skirts as back up though for the female fade-out, Morecambe & Wise stylee. Or dressed as Nana Mouskouri, one or t’other.

In Belgium, some Liverpool football hooligans killed over 38 people and made us all ashamed to be British, as they made football matches a nightmare for everyone on an ongoing fascist racist aggressive regime. In my life, my moped rear light fell off, I went back to pick it up just as a car ran over it. Doh! I felt a bit depressed and sorry for myself all week, whining about not having enough time for all my interests and ambitions. Actually, compared to my life now, I had bags of time, didn’t know how good I had it! Whinger! Babysat for our yorkie for 2 hours, it just wouldn’t stop crying, so I guess a bit like me then.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 15 2015, 01:19 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
11th June 1985

2 weeks for Animotion at 1, the top 3 all static as Mai Tai and Propaganda go top 5. Modern Talking and Marillion jump into the top 10, and Axel F do-do-de-d-d-d-do-do’s it’s way into the 20. REO Speedwagon get another top 20 entry 4 years on from chart-topper Keep On Loving You, helped in no small part by the ambitious amusing Arthur/Merlin-inspired video. One Lonely “knight” in the 20th century as it were. Another good video from Bowie helps Loving The Alien hit the 20 for a 13th year, and Five Star fall down while going up, a good trick if you can do it.

The Crowd enter the top 40, and Narada Michael Walden gets a very 1985-sounding Gimme Gimme Gimme at 30, and it’s nothing to do with the classic Abba single. Happily. The sweet Laura hits 32 for Nick Heyward, and the rocking Bruce 33, and theirs a great chart debut from Fine Young Cannibals, essentially half of The Beat plus new singer Roland Gift and a lot of style. Johnny Come Home is pretty fine and doesn’t sound dated. Skipworth And Turner finally break into the 40 after meandering about just outside, ditto China Crisis’s King, and it’s a fast-pass for Frankie and Sister Sledge to 39.

New at 47, Madonna chalks up another chart entry with the famous Crazy For You, a film theme tune and a rather ponderous ballad who’s ongoing appeal passes me by, by far my least-fave Madonna single to date. Also back with another in their run of hits, and coming off the back of 2 big singles (the previous single being one of my all-time faves), tears For Fears are at 66 with the under-rated (by me) Head Over Heels. It all changed after it was used very effectively in the fantastic film Donnie Darko, I love it now. At 68, Nils Lofgren, steady working musician who never quite broke through enters with some street secrets, At 70 Paul Young is back with the rather good Tomb Of Memories, while Dollar’s Thereze Bazar gets a solo entry with another of 3 “Kiss” titles in the chart, at 72 and some 10 years since she was first a Doll in Guys And Dolls, from Doll to Dollar. Squeeze are back 7 years on from first and biggest single Take Me I’m Yours, at 75 with Last Time Forever. The lads are back together this very week with new material as I type (August 2015), hooray!

1 ( 1 ) OBSESSION Animotion
2 ( 2 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
3 ( 3 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
4 ( 13 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
5 ( 14 ) DUEL Propaganda
6 ( 6 ) CALL ME Go West
7 ( 8 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
8 ( 10 ) OUT IN THE FIELDS Gary Moore and Phil Lynott
9 ( 23 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
10 ( 26 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion

11 ( 5 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
12 ( 17 ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
13 ( 25 ) ONE LONELY NIGHT REO Speedwagon
14 ( 4 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
15 ( 38 ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie
16 ( 22 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
17 ( 11 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
18 ( 9 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
19 ( 19 ) SHAKE THE DISEASE Depeche Mode
20 ( 33 ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star

21 ( 7 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
22 ( 12 ) SLAVE TO LOVE Bryan Ferry
23 ( 40 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
24 ( 30 ) HEAVEN (LIVE) Bryan Adams
25 ( 15 ) LOVE DON’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE Jimmy Nail
26 ( 28 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
27 ( 16 ) WALLS COME TUMBLING DOWN The Style Council
28 ( 56 ) YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE The Crowd
29 ( 18 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
30 ( 58 ) GIMME GIMME GIMME Narada Michael Walden and Patti Austin

31 ( 21 ) CRY Godley And Creme
32 ( 53 ) LAURA Nick Heyward
33 ( 63 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
34 ( NEW ) JOHNNY COME HOME Fine Young Cannibals
35 ( 20 ) FREE YOURSELF The Untouchables
36 ( 27 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
37 ( 24 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
38 ( 41 ) THINKING ABOUT YOUR LOVE Skipworth & Turner
39 ( 67 ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
40 ( 48 ) KING IN A CATHOLIC STYLE China Crisis

41 ( 54 ) CHERISH Kool And The Gang
42 ( 42 ) WALKING ON SUNSHINE Katrina And The Waves
43 ( 32 ) VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran
44 ( 31 ) RYTHYM OF THE NIGHT DeBarge
45 ( 50 ) IT AIN’T FAIR Edwin Starr
46 ( 29 ) RAGE TO LOVE Kim Wilde
47 ( NEW ) CRAZY FOR YOU Madonna
48 ( 34 ) THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE U2
49 ( 37 ) MAGIC TOUCH Loose Ends
50 ( 70 ) ACT OF WAR Elton John and Millie Jackson

51 ( 44 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
52 ( 35 ) THE CHINESE WALL Philip Bailey
53 ( 51 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
54 ( 39 ) THE PERFECT KISS New Order
55 ( 46 ) MISSING YOU Diana Ross
56 ( 65 ) SUDDENLY Billy Ocean
57 ( 36 ) CELEBRATE YOUTH Rick Springfield
58 ( 68 ) SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT Pat Benatar
59 ( 52 ) TICKET TO RIDE The Beatles
60 ( 69 ) GREEN SHIRT Elvis Costello

61 ( 43 ) ARE ‘FRIENDS’ ELECTRIC (LIVE) Gary Numan
62 ( 45 ) I FEEL LOVE Bronski Beat and Marc Almond
63 ( 49 ) DON’T YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME) Simple Minds
64 ( 61 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
65 ( 59 ) COULD IT BE I’M FALLING IN LOVE David Grant and Jaki Graham
66 ( NEW ) HEAD OVER HEELS Tears For Fears
67 ( 47 ) HIT ME WITH YOUR RHYTHM STICK (REMIX) Ian Dury And The Blockheads
68 ( NEW ) SECRET IN THE STREET Nils Lofgren
69 ( 66 ) YOU SPIN ME ROUND (LIKE A RECORD) Dead Or Alive
70 ( NEW ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young

71 ( 62 ) CLOUDS ACROSS THE MOON The Rah Band
72 ( NEW ) THE BIG KISS Thereze Bazaar
73 ( 55 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) The Power Station
74 ( 60 ) UNDER FIRE Roy Wood
75 ( NEW ) LAST TIME FOREVER Squeeze

With the reduced TV charts I’m adding in my occasional oldies playlist short-list, topped by 60’s then-new discovery form Gary Lewis & The Playboys, This Diamond Ring. Son of movie actor Jerry Lewis, I went a bundle on their Greatest Hits and especially this 20-year-old track at the time. Had I allowed random oldies it would have topped my chart.

Went to see Starman at the cinema, a sweet sci-fi movie starring Jeff Bridges, a bit of a love story between an alien in human form and Karen Allen, fresh-ish from Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Jeff stole the film with his choice of unusually stilted but endearing style, and directed (amazingly) by John Carpenter not his usual style at all. I rated it as the best film I’d seen since Star Trek III and among my top 40 faves of all-time (since dropped out as it never gets shown on TV and I haven’t seen it in decades). It spawned a decent TV series starring Robert Hayes (from Airplane).

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 16 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
18th June 1985

OMD get their 3rd number one 5 years since the first one, Messages, the under-rated So In Love. The Beach Boys go top 10 for the first time in 6 years, and Bowie keeps his run going 13 years on from Starman doing it first, Starman to Alien, and still loving them. Bryan Adams gets another top 20, it’s Heaven, and Springsteen makes it 10 years of top 20’s, and Prince makes it 3 years of top 20’s, with his Paisley Park going through a continuing purple patch, so to speak. Fine Young Cannibals still call fro Johnny at 20.

Into the 40 Madonna is Crazy For You, and Cherish that cos Kool And The Gang also go top 40 with a title she liked so much she re-used it 4 years later, to much better effect. All the new entries are low in the chart, from a Paul Hardcastle recent track, a debut from new band Simply Red, the great Money’s Too Tight (To mention), and that ginger-haired lead singer has quite the soul voice. Mick Hucknall, of course! Steve Harley is back with the Rebels and he’s still irresistible 11 years on from Judy Teen, and look who’s back too - Roy Orbison.

That needs several exclamation marks!!! Roy had been far-too-long absent from the music scene charts, and incredibly makes a chart debut in mine for the simple reason that all of his great records pre-date my charts - Roy, and I say this without over-stating the case, was the greatest male vocalist in pop music of the 20th Century. He just was, so there! His run of singles comprise the greatest batch of heart-breaking tortured dramatic lost love songs. Wild Hearts wasn’t a hit, but it did turn on his 1992 posthumous album of leftovers following his major comeback with Traveling Wilbury’s and Jeff Lynne-produced Mystery Girl album, and tragic death in between those two projects.

Also new, Jesus And Mary Chain bring low-fi 60’s-influenced Velvet Underground sounds into the 80’s You Trip Me Up, and Sting offers some good advice, directly to make up for Every Breath You Take’s creepy controlling message (which passed most people by). It wasn’t as good, though, sadly.

1 ( 3 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
2 ( 1 ) OBSESSION Animotion
3 ( 4 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
4 ( 5 ) DUEL Propaganda
5 ( 2 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
6 ( 10 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
7 ( 9 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
8 ( 7 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
9 ( 23 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
10 ( 15 ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie

11 ( 12 ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
12 ( 13 ) ONE LONELY NIGHT REO Speedwagon
13 ( 6 ) CALL ME Go West
14 ( 16 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
15 ( 24 ) HEAVEN (LIVE) Bryan Adams
16 ( 8 ) OUT IN THE FIELDS Gary Moore and Phil Lynott
17 ( 33 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
18 ( 26 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
19 ( 20 ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star
20 ( 34 ) JOHNNY COME HOME Fine Young Cannibals

21 ( 17 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
22 ( 39 ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
23 ( 11 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
24 ( 28 ) YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE The Crowd
25 ( 47 ) CRAZY FOR YOU Madonna
26 ( 14 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
27 ( 43 ) VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran
28 ( 18 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
29 ( 32 ) LAURA Nick Heyward
30 ( 42 ) WALKING ON SUNSHINE Katrina And The Waves

31 ( 21 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
32 ( 19 ) SHAKE THE DISEASE Depeche Mode
33 ( 22 ) SLAVE TO LOVE Bryan Ferry
34 ( 41 ) CHERISH Kool And The Gang
35 ( 31 ) CRY Godley And Creme
36 ( 29 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
37 ( 40 ) KING IN A CATHOLIC STYLE China Crisis
38 ( 27 ) WALLS COME TUMBLING DOWN The Style Council
39 ( 25 ) LOVE DON’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE Jimmy Nail
40 ( 44 ) RYTHYM OF THE NIGHT DeBarge

41 ( 36 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
42 ( 45 ) IT AIN’T FAIR Edwin Starr
43 ( 75 ) LAST TIME FOREVER Squeeze
44 ( 37 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
45 ( 50 ) ACT OF WAR Elton John and Millie Jackson
46 ( 30 ) GIMME GIMME GIMME Narada Michael Walden and Patti Austin
47 ( 58 ) SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT Pat Benatar
48 ( 35 ) FREE YOURSELF The Untouchables
49 ( 48 ) THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE U2
50 ( 66 ) HEAD OVER HEELS Tears For Fears

51 ( 51 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
52 ( 52 ) THE CHINESE WALL Philip Bailey
53 ( NEW ) RAIN FOREST Paul Hardcastle
54 ( 38 ) THINKING ABOUT YOUR LOVE Skipworth & Turner
55 ( 53 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
56 ( 56 ) SUDDENLY Billy Ocean
57 ( 49 ) MAGIC TOUCH Loose Ends
58 ( NEW ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red
59 ( 70 ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young
60 ( NEW ) IRRESISTIBLE Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel

61 ( 55 ) MISSING YOU Diana Ross
62 ( 46 ) RAGE TO LOVE Kim Wilde
63 ( 59 ) TICKET TO RIDE The Beatles
64 ( 64 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
65 ( 68 ) SECRETS IN THE STREET Nils Lofgren
66 ( 57 ) CELEBRATE YOUTH Rick Springfield
67 ( NEW ) LIFE IN ONE DAY Howard Jones
68 ( NEW ) WILD HEARTS Roy Orbison
69 ( NEW ) EL VINO COLLAPSO Black Lace
70 ( 65 ) COULD IT BE I’M FALLING IN LOVE David Grant and Jaki Graham

71 ( NEW ) WHERE OUR LOVE BEGINS David Grant
72 ( NEW ) YOU TRIP ME UP Jesus And Mary Chain
73 ( 69 ) YOU SPIN ME ROUND (LIKE A RECORD) Dead Or Alive
74 ( NEW ) IF YOU LOVE SOMEONE SET THEM FREE Sting
75 ( NEW ) SOUL PASSING THROUGH SOUL Toyah

TV 15th-22nd June
1 Star Trek: The Man Trap
2 The Young Ones
3 MASH
4 Lou Grant
5 Top Of The Pops
6 The Phil Silvers Show
7 Ready Steady Go
8 Dallas
9 Bewitched
10 Taxi

On TV classic 60’s ITV pop show Ready Steady Go was being repeated to my great joy, and at work I got a young new assistant, 18-year-old Nick, who turned up, very good-looking, fit and outward-going, and in a suit - which I suggested might not work in a van in the countryside, but he did make the effort! Bob the driver was also back after a week off with twisted err, thingies. I taught Nick the main codes and technique of the hand-held husky computer and we went out measuring near Stalbridge. He was very keen to get started, so let him, mostly mistake-free which put the other team’s noses out-of-joint who were slow-going about stuff like that. Nick was lively and into pop music, and brightened up my fairly now-dull work-life. His main hobbies were girls, girls, girls....and cars.

On Wogan Abba’s Benny & Bjorn were with Tim Rice talking about Chess (the Musical) and Bob geldof was on about Live Aid tickets, his new project for Band Aid charity cash. I bought myself baggy jeans, after years of tight drainpipe jeans and before that tight oxford bags and flares, and before that tight bell-bottoms. Boys fashions were pretty tight, really, then for the next 20 years it was all about baggy...

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 19 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
25th June 1985

2 weeks for OMD on top, holding off Mai Tai at 2 to make History. Hall & Oates make a swift reissued comeback with a record that was massive in the USA and not in the UK, while the lesser follow-up was a UK hit. It still didn’t work, though, Out Of Touch just didn’t connect with the UK charts, but it did with me, so is the highest new entry at 4, their 4th Top 5. Elton & Millie War their way into the 20, and Madonna also gets another one, as Crazy For You scrapes in. Paul Young’s good Tomb Of Memories hits the 40, along with the great Tears For Fears Head Over Heels, and Edwin Starr’s retro sounds of It Ain’t Fair, and Simply Red’s soulful Money’s Too Tight.

1 ( 1 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
2 ( 3 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
3 ( 9 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
4 ( NEW ) OUT OF TOUCH Daryl Hall and John Oates
5 ( 2 ) OBSESSION Animotion
6 ( 4 ) DUEL Propaganda
7 ( 7 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
8 ( 6 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
9 ( 5 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
10 ( 14 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer

11 ( 18 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
12 ( 8 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
13 ( 17 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
14 ( 22 ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
15 ( 10 ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie
16 ( 13 ) CALL ME Go West
17 ( 11 ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
18 ( 45 ) ACT OF WAR Elton John and Millie Jackson
19 ( 20 ) JOHNNY COME HOME Fine Young Cannibals
20 ( 25 ) CRAZY FOR YOU Madonna

21 ( 12 ) ONE LONELY NIGHT REO Speedwagon
22 ( 16 ) OUT IN THE FIELDS Gary Moore and Phil Lynott
23 ( 30 ) WALKING ON SUNSHINE Katrina And The Waves
24 ( 24 ) YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE The Crowd
25 ( 34 ) CHERISH Kool And The Gang
26 ( 15 ) HEAVEN (LIVE) Bryan Adams
27 ( 19 ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star
28 ( 21 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
29 ( 59 ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young
30 ( 23 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy

31 ( 37 ) KING IN A CATHOLIC STYLE China Crisis
32 ( 50 ) HEAD OVER HEELS Tears For Fears
33 ( 27 ) VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran
34 ( 29 ) LAURA Nick Heyward
35 ( 28 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
36 ( 36 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
37 ( 35 ) CRY Godley And Creme
38 ( 42 ) IT AIN’T FAIR Edwin Starr
39 ( 26 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
40 ( 58 ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red

41 ( 31 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
42 ( 32 ) SHAKE THE DISEASE Depeche Mode
43 ( 43 ) LAST TIME FOREVER Squeeze
44 ( 33 ) SLAVE TO LOVE Bryan Ferry
45 ( 41 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
46 ( 75 ) SOUL PASSING THROUGH SOUL Toyah
47 ( 47 ) SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT Pat Benatar
48 ( NEW ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
49 ( 53 ) RAIN FOREST Paul Hardcastle
50 ( 51 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood

51 ( 38 ) WALLS COME TUMBLING DOWN The Style Council
52 ( 40 ) RYTHYM OF THE NIGHT DeBarge
53 ( 60 ) IRRESISTIBLE Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel
54 ( 44 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
55 ( 39 ) LOVE DON’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE Jimmy Nail
56 ( 74 ) IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE Sting
57 ( NEW ) WAYS TO BE WICKED Lone Justice
58 ( 55 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
59 ( NEW ) GOODBYE BAD TIMES Philip Oakey and Giorgio Moroder
60 ( 67 ) LIFE IN ONE DAY Howard Jones

61 ( 49 ) THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE U2
62 ( 48 ) FREE YOURSELF The Untouchables
63 ( NEW ) BEN Marti Webb
64 ( NEW ) LOVING YOU Feargal Sharkey
65 ( 64 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
66 ( NEW ) YOU DON’T NEED A REASON Phil Fearon & Galaxy
67 ( 57 ) MAGIC TOUCH Loose Ends
68 ( 61 ) MISSING YOU Diana Ross
69 ( NEW ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
70 ( 63 ) TICKET TO RIDE The Beatles

71 ( 46 ) GIMME GIMME GIMME Narada Michael Walden and Patti Austin
72 ( NEW ) MY TOOT TOOT Denise La Salle
73 ( 56 ) SUDDENLY Billy Ocean
74 ( 70 ) COULD IT BE I’M FALLING IN LOVE David Grant and Jaki Graham
75 ( NEW ) ENDICOTT Kid Creole And The Coconuts

OLDIES PLAYLIST
1. MARRAKESH EXPRESS - Crosby, Stills & Nash
2. THIS DIAMOND RING - Gary Lewis & The Playboys
3. RANDY - Blue Mink

TV 22nd-28th June

1 Star Trek: The Naked Time
2 The Young Ones
3 Cheers
4 Rhoda
5 Ready Steady Go
6 Dallas
7 Batman
8 Top Of The Pops
9 Taxi

At work, young Nick’s fairly extreme views came out while travelling on and off sites in Dorset, though also he’d been in hospital over 2 years in a life and death situation, with the scars to prove it, and ongoing medication. Of course, when I hear views I don’t agree with I have to butt in. I just do! Going home, I came off my moped again, in the rain, starting to really piss me off at how lethal it is. Nick & Bob tried to get me to join them clubbing for girl-chasing. I semi-politely declined...

Marvelled at how dated the fashions of the 60’s looked on Ready Steady Go (though the music energetic and exciting), after only 2 decades. On Sunday I met mate Bob’s fiancee Annette, pleasant and chatty I thought, as she was looking for a place and job nearer Bournemouth.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 2 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
2nd July 1985

The Beach Boys getcha back on top of the charts after a 9-year break since Good Vibrations topped on reissue in 1976. Despite great singles peaking at 2 in 1968, 1969 and 1979 the one that went all the way was a total flop - but it had that classic surfer harmony sound, and a great song written by Mike Love and Terry Melcher, Doris Day’s son. More importantly for me, it was the first record released by the band after the death of Dennis Wilson in a drowning accident, which gave it an added pathos, being as I was and am a huge fan of the Beach Boys. Bad news for Hall & Oates who almost get a second chart-topper, with reactivated Out Of Touch at 2, while Sister Sledge, Prince and Bruce Springsteen all get another new top 10 single to add to their tallies.

Paul Young and Dead Or Alive go up into the top 20, as highest new entry You And Your Heart So Blue is in at 19 for Bucks Fizz, another great single which inexplicably flopped, especially given the general goodwill for Mike Nolan recovering after his near-death band coach crash. Howard Jones gets yet another top 40 track, as Denise LaSalle waves her toot toot in as well, and ex-Undertones vocalist Feargal Sharkey does the same, 7 years on from Teenage Kicks. Toyah also pops into the 40, and Marti Webb’s cover of Michael Jackson’s Ben, while there’s a new entry for Don Henley at 28 with his 1982 chart hit (for me at least) Dirty Laundry, an under-rated fabulously bitter and cynical single - it still wasn’t a hit in the UK, sadly.

New entries outside the 40, The Adventures at 48 with Feel The Raindrops, another great single that flopped for the lads, while at 55 The Cult debut with a classic rock track She Sells Sanctuary, a track with attitude and swagger, just brilliant. At 60, The Damned make a pleasant single, The Shadow Of Love, as they belatedly get some deserved UK singles success, while future UK chart-topper There Must Be An Angel is in at 64 for Eurythmics, by far their most joyous single, if tongue-in-cheek video, and with a bonus Stevie Wonder harmonica solo to boot. Perfect pop. At 72, it’s another early 80’s UK flop back again, though this time Billy Idol actually gets a well-deserved big UK hit out of it: White Wedding is almost as fab as his 1984 number one in my charts - Eyes Without A Face - but this one is Billy at his sneeringest rocktastic best.

1 ( 3 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
2 ( 4 ) OUT OF TOUCH Daryl Hall and John Oates
3 ( 1 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
4 ( 7 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
5 ( 2 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
6 ( 10 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
7 ( 14 ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
8 ( 6 ) DUEL Propaganda
9 ( 11 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
10 ( 13 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen

11 ( 5 ) OBSESSION Animotion
12 ( 29 ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young
13 ( 9 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
14 ( 18 ) ACT OF WAR Elton John and Millie Jackson
15 ( 8 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
16 ( 12 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
17 ( 20 ) CRAZY FOR YOU Madonna
18 ( 19 ) JOHNNY COME HOME Fine Young Cannibals
19 ( NEW ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
20 ( 48 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive

21 ( 32 ) HEAD OVER HEELS Tears For Fears
22 ( 16 ) CALL ME Go West
23 ( 60 ) LIFE IN ONE DAY Howard Jones
24 ( 15 ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie
25 ( 25 ) CHERISH Kool And The Gang
26 ( 17 ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
27 ( 31 ) KING IN A CATHOLIC STYLE China Crisis
28 ( NEW ) DIRTY LAUNDRY Don Henley
29 ( 21 ) ONE LONELY NIGHT REO Speedwagon
30 ( 72 ) MY TOOT TOOT Denise La Salle

31 ( 24 ) YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE The Crowd
32 ( 28 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
33 ( 64 ) LOVING YOU Feargal Sharkey
34 ( 22 ) OUT IN THE FIELDS Gary Moore and Phil Lynott
35 ( 30 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
36 ( 40 ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red
37 ( 46 ) SOUL PASSING THROUGH SOUL Toyah
38 ( 63 ) BEN Marti Webb
39 ( 27 ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star
40 ( 37 ) CRY Godley And Creme

41 ( 33 ) A VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran
42 ( 26 ) HEAVEN (LIVE) Bryan Adams
43 ( 36 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
44 ( 56 ) IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE Sting
45 ( 35 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
46 ( 59 ) GOODBYE BAD TIMES Philip Oakey and Giorgio Moroder
47 ( 39 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
48 ( NEW ) FEEL THE RAINDROPS The Adventures
49 ( 45 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
50 ( 53 ) IRRESISTIBLE Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel

51 ( 34 ) LAURA Nick Heyward
52 ( 23 ) WALKING ON SUNSHINE Katrina And The Waves
53 ( 50 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
54 ( 41 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
55 ( NEW ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
56 ( 58 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
57 ( 38 ) IT AIN’T FAIR Edwin Starr
58 ( 69 ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
59 ( 44 ) SLAVE TO LOVE Bryan Ferry
60 ( NEW ) THE SHADOW OF LOVE The Damned

61 ( 43 ) LAST TIME FOREVER Squeeze
62 ( 49 ) RAIN FOREST Paul Hardcastle
63 ( 42 ) SHAKE THE DISEASE Depeche Mode
64 ( NEW ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics
65 ( 57 ) WAYS TO BE WICKED Lone Justice
66 ( 66 ) YOU DON’T NEED A REASON Phil Fearon & Galaxy
67 ( 54 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
68 ( 65 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
69 ( NEW ) TURN IT UP The Conway Brothers
70 ( 75 ) ENDICOTT Kid Creole And The Coconuts

71 ( 61 ) THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE U2
72 ( NEW ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol
73 ( 70 ) TICKET TO RIDE The Beatles
74 ( 68 ) MISSING YOU Diana Ross
75 ( 47 ) SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT Pat Benatar

TV 29th Jun-5th Jul
1 Star Trek: Charlie X
2 The Young Ones: Summer Holiday
3 Cheers
4 The Bill Cosby Show
5 Ready Steady Go

In my oldies playlist, 2 future 80‘s reissued UK chart entries for Fleetwood Mac's Hold Me and Lulu's Shout (hey, when you’re right you’re right) though I’m still waiting on Gary Lewis & The Playboys’ Jill, appropriately Beach Boys-influenced 1967 single.

In the media, I bought Paperback Writer (Beatles) and How Soon Is Now (Smiths), watched The Young Ones and LIfe On Earth, and a crap edition of Top Of The Pops, while at work, my young new cheeky assistant got ever bolder and cheekier as we surveyed the roads of Blandford and Gillingham. It got the stage where I was arguing with him and having to use reason to get him to stop going OTT and making errors in the data. Rang grandma, who was worryingly out of breath.

In the DC Comics Crisis On Infinite Earths megablockbuster series with every superhero on the books and more, they carried out a shock: Supergirl was killed off. Punishment for a flop movie more than likely, but genuinely shocking as superheroes with their own comics who had been around for 30 years just didn’t get killed. It’s sort of killing the golden goose (and so it turned out until the new re-telling TV version which has just debuted 30 years on) as all reinventions of alternative characters using the name were pretty useless and floppy. The repercussions also hit the Legion Of Super Heroes, as she’d been a time-travelling member since I first picked up the comic in 1969, and of course my comic of choice was at it’s peak at this time, creatively and pretty big sales-wise.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 11 2015, 04:01 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
9th July 1985

2 weeks for The Beach Boys on top, as I revisit LA (Light Album) in my oldies playing, and a leap to 2 for Dead Or Alive and In Too Deep, and a third top 10 in a row for them. Propaganda hit a new peak of 3 with Duel, and Bucks Fizz are pondering you and your heart so blue at 7, for a 4th year of top 10 tracks, with only the odd single peaking lower down the chart. Paul Young also keeps them coming for over 2 years, as Tomb Of Memories digs it way slowly up.

Huge climbs for The Cult and The Damned into the 20 to challenge the upper chart pop domination, with Tears For Fears fabulous sombre Head Over Heels also scraping into the 20 (and very much under-rated by me at the time), along with Howard Jones more jaunty Life In One Day. Eurythmics joyous classic angels are playing with my heart into the 30, with Sting, Phil Oakey & Giorgio Moroder, and The Adventures all hitting the 40 along with highest new entry, left-wing band Redskins and Bring It Down (This Insane Thing) in at 37. Left-wing politics in music was very much the vogue in 1985, and the video had the bonus of Alexei Sayle, left-wing comedian to underline the point.

New entries: Amazulu return a bit excitable at 46, Glen Frey joins ex and future band mate from The Eagles Don Henley in the chart, at 47, and Adam Ant starts to run out of steam at 49, Vive Le Rock, after a 5-year run. Jaki Graham turns up minus David Grant, and she’s round and round at 60, a good British dancepop track, while OMD are at a lowly 64 with a secret (the secret is they are following up a chart-topper and not doing so well) 5 years on from debut chart-topper Messages. Radio 1 DJ Mike Read has another go at becoming a pop star at 71, covering 1969 Number 1 Dizzy, and peaks a full deserved 70 places lower than either Tommy Roe’s classic original, or Vic Reeves & The Wonder Stuff’s future UK chart cover version. Supertramp pop in briefly with a cannonball a decade after they started with a classic Dreamer, and The Style Council give a bit of publicity for Milton Keynes, symbol town for blandness in the eighties.

1 ( 1 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
2 ( 20 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
3 ( 8 ) DUEL Propaganda
4 ( 4 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
5 ( 2 ) OUT OF TOUCH Daryl Hall and John Oates
6 ( 6 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
7 ( 19 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
8 ( 10 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
9 ( 5 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
10 ( 12 ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young

11 ( 3 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
12 ( 7 ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
13 ( 23 ) LIFE IN ONE DAY Howard Jones
14 ( 55 ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
15 ( 60 ) SHADOW OF LOVE The Damned
16 ( 21 ) HEAD OVER HEELS Tears For Fears
17 ( 13 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
18 ( 11 ) OBSESSION Animotion
19 ( 9 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
20 ( 15 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion

21 ( 14 ) ACT OF WAR Elton John and Millie Jackson
22 ( 16 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
23 ( 18 ) JOHNNY COME HOME Fine Young Cannibals
24 ( 28 ) DIRTY LAUNDRY Don Henley
25 ( 17 ) CRAZY FOR YOU Madonna
26 ( 25 ) CHERISH Kool And The Gang
27 ( 30 ) MY TOOT TOOT Denise La Salle
28 ( 36 ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red
29 ( 33 ) LOVING YOU Feargal Sharkey
30 ( 64 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics

31 ( 22 ) CALL ME Go West
32 ( 48 ) FEEL THE RAINDROPS The Adventures
33 ( 26 ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
34 ( 24 ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie
35 ( 35 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
36 ( 38 ) BEN Marti Webb
37 ( NEW ) BRING IT DOWN (THIS INSANE THING) Redskins
38 ( 32 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
39 ( 44 ) IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE Sting
40 ( 46 ) GOODBYE BAD TIMES Philip Oakey and Giorgio Moroder

41 ( 27 ) KING IN A CATHOLIC STYLE China Crisis
42 ( 34 ) OUT IN THE FIELDS Gary Moore and Phil Lynott
43 ( 58 ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
44 ( 40 ) CRY Godley And Creme
45 ( 29 ) ONE LONELY NIGHT REO Speedwagon
46 ( NEW ) EXCITABLE Amazulu
47 ( NEW ) SMUGGLER’S BLUES Glen Frey
48 ( 41 ) A VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran
49 ( NEW ) VIVE LE ROCK Adam Ant
50 ( 39 ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star

51 ( 43 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
52 ( 37 ) SOUL PASSING THROUGH SOUL Toyah
53 ( 45 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
54 ( 49 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
55 ( 53 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
56 ( 56 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
57 ( 69 ) TURN IT UP The Conway Brothers
58 ( 31 ) YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE The Crowd
59 ( 66 ) YOU DON’T NEED A REASON Phil Fearon & Galaxy
60 ( NEW ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham

61 ( 42 ) HEAVEN (LIVE) Bryan Adams
62 ( 47 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
63 ( 54 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
64 ( NEW ) SECRET OMD
65 ( 50 ) IRRESISTIBLE Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel
66 ( 59 ) SLAVE TO LOVE Bryan Ferry
67 ( 67 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
68 ( 68 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
69 ( 52 ) WALKING ON SUNSHINE Katrina And The Waves
70 ( 72 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol

71 ( NEW ) DIZZY The Rock-olas
72 ( 51 ) LAURA Nick Heyward
73 ( NEW ) CANNONBALL Supertramp
74 ( NEW ) COME TO MILTON KEYNES The Style Council
75 ( 63 ) SHAKE THE DISEASE Depeche Mode

TV 6th-12th July
1 Star Trek: Balance Of Terror
2 Another Audience With Dame Edna
3 Batman: Shame
4 Hill Street Blues
5 The Phil Silvers Show
6 Lou Grant
7 It’ll Be Alright On The Night
8 Dallas
9 Top Of The Pops
10 Ready Steady Go

At work out in the streets of Blandford Forum, driver Bob noticed young Nick’s tendency to admire himself in any passing mirrors and quipped a great one-liner: “if we put mirrors on all access covers and manholes he wouldn’t miss any” (off the computer survey data list). Bob also fixed our flat tyre on the spot, good for him. I got a lot of stick from Jason, in the other team, and Nick, when they got together, both seemingly-obsessed with my never-mentioned (and none-existent) sex life and persuasion, which wound me up.

At Wimbledon, McEnroe went out, and young lad Becker went through, all a bit of a surprise. Womens final was fave Chrissie Lloyd sadly lost (I saw it as her last chance) to Martina Navratilova who I was also a fan of. 17-year-old Boris Becker amazingly won the men’s final. I bought a new T shirt, and wore it. It’s worth mentioning that because I also wore it to mum’s surprise, as my skinny arms hadn’t seen the light of day (bar the USA holiday in 1979) since 1971, I think! My self-image was skinny.

At 3 in my oldies chart, Ready Steady Go was being repeated 20 years on, a TV show that was the coolest (yes it’s true) on British TV in the mid-60’s, and I was now old enough to have 20-year-old memories, like Sandie Shaw (who I loved as a child) and was now cool all over again thanks to Morrissey. This is a great old clip of a song I’m still waiting to chart...

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 17 2015, 07:33 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
16th July 1985

This was Live Aid week, the huge world concert (lots of local versions to go with the 2 main events at Wembley and Philadelphia) and a host of megastars on show for charity, bullied into it by Bob Geldof for a great cause, to help the starving in Ethiopa as the politicians sat on their arses as always. Band Aid, as a charity, ran for 2 decades, and kept people alive. Cynics (and there were plenty of them) can piss off, I don’t care what everybody’s motives were or weren’t for the concert, the bottom line is it saved lives and Geldof managed to do what politicians wouldn’t. So. In my chart on the day of Live Aid, The Beach Boys topped for a third week with Getcha Back, and played at Live Aid on Saturday13th July with a buncha classic tunes. Eurythmics shoot up to 4, There Must Be An Angel sadly not on show at Live Aid cos Annie had lost her voice, happily they did Net Aid in 1998 and Live8 in the noughties, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

The Damned, years into their career, finally get a top 10 single with the spooky Shadow Of Love at 7, while Howard Jones keeps his tally going with Life In One Day at 10. Adam Ant shoots up to 17 with new track Vive Le Rock, and pisses off viewers at Live Aid by doing it instead of one of his hits. Adam was miffed (and still is) he had only the one song slot, but should have accepted it gracefully and done Stand And Deliver which would have been far more appropriate and memorable: “Your money or your life” would have taken on new meaning. It wasn’t designed to be a plug for the new single, after all. Highest new entry at 20 is Sparks, back with a bang, for a Change, and a gem it is too, floppy yes, but sprawling and adventurous and delightful. 11 years on they may not be charting, but they carry on their own quirky way then and now, and never fail to charm.

Jaki Graham leaps into the 30, round and round, with Glen Frey, Amazulu and Opus (or ‘Opeless as I sometimes called them) all sneak into the 40, while The Conway Brothers arrive with a bit more force, and Billy Idol’s White Wedding finally starts moving and Bill catches the bouquet at 39 from 70. Another early 80’s track pops in at 59, Trans X and the very dated sounding (for 1985 - synth pop had really moved on in leaps and bounds) Living On Video, but it was fine for 1980/1981. Animal Nightlife get another chart entry with a very 1940’s stylee Love Is Just The Great Adventure, Animotion follow-up a fab chart-topper with a much less fab Let Him Go, Tina Turner is back on fire with the theme tune to Mad Max: Thunderdome, We Don’t Need Another Hero, and her best solo record to date, Aretha Franklin’s Freeway Of Love is in at 73, Steve Arrington’s dancin’ at 71, and slipping in with a Stevie Wonder song written for the Jackson 5, Buttercup, it’s Carl Anderson debuting. I say debut - had I allowed movie tracks in my charts (and I wish I had) his version of Superstar, as Judas from Jesus Christ Superstar, would easily have topped my chart in 1973, or later, cos it’s a spine-tingling passionate vocal performance of a brilliant Lloyd-Webber/Rice song. Still an absolute show-stopper, and still waiting to chart it.

1 ( 1 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
2 ( 2 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
3 ( 4 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
4 ( 30 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics
5 ( 7 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
6 ( 3 ) DUEL Propaganda
7 ( 15 ) SHADOW OF LOVE The Damned
8 ( 9 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
9 ( 10 ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young
10 ( 13 ) LIFE IN ONE DAY Howard Jones

11 ( 6 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
12 ( 16 ) HEAD OVER HEELS Tears For Fears
13 ( 5 ) OUT OF TOUCH Daryl Hall and John Oates
14 ( 14 ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
15 ( 8 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
16 ( 12 ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
17 ( 49 ) VIVE LE ROCK Adam Ant
18 ( 27 ) MY TOOT TOOT Denise La Salle
19 ( 11 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
20 ( NEW ) CHANGE Sparks

21 ( 24 ) DIRTY LAUNDRY Don Henley
22 ( 17 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
23 ( 29 ) LOVING YOU Feargal Sharkey
24 ( 20 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
25 ( 18 ) OBSESSION Animotion
26 ( 28 ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red
27 ( 25 ) CRAZY FOR YOU Madonna
28 ( 19 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
29 ( 60 ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham
30 ( 23 ) JOHNNY COME HOME Fine Young Cannibals

31 ( 22 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
32 ( 32 ) FEEL THE RAINDROPS The Adventures
33 ( 37 ) BRING IT DOWN (THIS INSANE THING) Redskins
34 ( 21 ) ACT OF WAR Elton John and Millie Jackson
35 ( 47 ) SMUGGLER’S BLUES Glen Frey
36 ( 46 ) EXCITABLE Amazulu
37 ( 43 ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
38 ( 57 ) TURN IT UP The Conway Brothers
39 ( 70 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol
40 ( 40 ) GOODBYE BAD TIMES Philip Oakey and Giorgio Moroder

41 ( 38 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
42 ( NEW ) LOVE IS JUST THE GREAT ADVENTURE Animal Nightlife
43 ( 31 ) CALL ME Go West
44 ( 44 ) CRY Godley And Creme
45 ( 35 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
46 ( 59 ) YOU DON’T NEED A REASON Phil Fearon & Galaxy
47 ( 33 ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
48 ( 34 ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie
49 ( NEW ) LET HIM GO Animotion
50 ( 74 ) COME TO MILTON KEYNES The Style Council

51 ( 26 ) CHERISH Kool And The Gang
52 ( 64 ) SECRET OMD
53 ( 39 ) IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE Sting
54 ( 45 ) ONE LONELY NIGHT REO Speedwagon
55 ( 56 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
56 ( 54 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
57 ( 55 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
58 ( 36 ) BEN Marti Webb
59 ( NEW ) LIVING ON VIDEO Trans X
60 ( 50 ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star

61 ( 41 ) KING IN A CATHOLIC STYLE China Crisis
62 ( 42 ) OUT IN THE FIELDS Gary Moore and Phil Lynott
63 ( 51 ) WOULD I LIE TO YOU Eurythmics
64 ( 48 ) A VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran
65 ( 63 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
66 ( 52 ) SOUL PASSING THROUGH SOUL Toyah
67 ( NEW ) WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME) Tina Turner
68 ( 53 ) FEEL SO REAL Steve Arrington
69 ( 67 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
70 ( 68 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World

71 ( NEW ) DANCING IN THE KEY OF LIFE Steve Arrington
72 ( 61 ) HEAVEN (LIVE) Bryan Adams
73 ( NEW ) FREEWAY OF LOVE Aretha Franklin
74 ( 62 ) IMAGINATION Belouis Some
75 ( NEW ) BUTTERCUP Carl Anderson

TV 15th-22nd June
1 Star Trek: What Are Little Girls Made Of
2 Dallas
3 LIVE AID
4 Cheers
5 Hill Street Blues
6 Batman: Shame part 2
7 The Abba Story
8 Lou Grant
9 Top Of The Pops
10 I Dream Of Jeannie

OLDIES CHART
1 TUG OF WAR Paul McCartney
2 MARRAKESH EXPRESS Crosby Stills & Nash
3 LIVING EYES Bee Gees

Overall, I pondered that with only 23 of the UK top 40 in my top 40 it was the worst UK chart since the mid-70’s, while at work, Nick calmed down a bit and had some good talks in the week at lunchtimes, and it was so warm out on the rural Dorset roads I stuck with my T shirts. The boys back in the office, Jason and Nick, teased friendly Terry with a fake phone call, she took it with good nature as I’d tipped her off what they were going to do. On “Wogan” Sparks popped up looking good, and in my appearance I shaved off my moustache - I’d had one since I was in my teens, and it was hard to get used to!

LIVE AID DAY: Bob Geldof rightly demanding money for the cause; The Cars’ Drive recent number one for me was used with footage of the famine, which was immensely powerful, even though it shouldn’t have worked it did. Billy Connolly was in tears. Who wasn’t....!? My personal highlights of the UK end: Boomtown Rats, Bowie, Queen, Elton John (& Kiki & George Michael), Elvis Costello doing All You Need Is Love, and Paul McCartney’s Let It Be, and the collective Do They Know It’s Christmas. In the USA Madonna was the top act for me, but I only managed to stay up till 2am. The finale didn’t record on my video either, doh! I may not have got hold of tickets, but I have seen most of the UK performers since (or before) Live Aid, hey ho.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 23 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
23rd July 1985

Eurythmics get a second chart-topper, a year after 1984 (Sex Crime) did it first, and the life-affirming, tongue-in-cheek There Must Be An Angel is nothing like the dark synths of the former. Dead Or Alive are sadly stuck at 2 for the 3rd week, but the Damned hit 5 as The Cult leap to 6 for a fab bit of Goth Rock double delight. Sparks enter the top 10 with Change, their first in 6 years and 8th in total, as Jaki Graham circles the top 10 round at 11. Simply Red and Feargal Sharkey grab a top 20 spot, and the highest new entry is another Goth goodie, The Cure at 19 with In Between Days, the terrific first single off The Head On The Door and 5 years on from their first top 20.

In at 22, Prince is back, also 5 years on from his debut, with Raspberry Beret, still in his pyschedelic pop period, as Trans X hit the 40, and The Cool Notes enter with the catchy Brit-soul of In Your Car at 29. Tina Turner thunders into the 40, while a bit more low-key OMD have a secret, Style Council divert from Milton Keynes, and Animal Nightlife grab a second top 40. New at 49, The Goonies movie theme tune from Cyndi Lauper - have to say I’ve yet to see the film though, shockingly! Dare Me, demand the Pointer Sisters at 52, on of their better records after 6 years of chart action, though I probably would have charted Yes We Can Can in 1973 if my charts had allowed non-UK-chart singles.

In at 60, UB40 have paired up with Chrissie Hynde, having a Pretenders-break, for a UK chart-topper cover of Sonny & Cher’s I Got You Babe, reggae style. Not got the magic of the original but it wasn’t bad, and it gave them an excuse to tour together in the 90’s, and an excuse for me to go and see both The Pretenders (for the 3rd time) and UB40. At 61, Nik Kershaw I saw in concert the other week (that’s November 2015) and new entry Don Quixote sounded much better than I gave it credit for at the time. At 66 Loose Ends cover Bowie’s 1975 number one Golden Years, plastic Glam soul funk to Brit soul. Divine sneaks in with another camp cover, Twistin’ The Night away, and just above it’s Sting. Actually it’s Dire Straits, but his vocal assist is enough for a featuring credit really, and one of their top tunes in Money For Nothing, and THAT groundbreaking music video and guitar riffs. Also 6 years since first charting, for both.

1 ( 4 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics
2 ( 2 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
3 ( 3 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
4 ( 1 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
5 ( 7 ) SHADOW OF LOVE The Damned
6 ( 14 ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
7 ( 5 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
8 ( 8 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
9 ( 11 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
10 ( 20 ) CHANGE Sparks

11 ( 29 ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham
12 ( 6 ) DUEL Propaganda
13 ( 18 ) MY TOOT TOOT Denise La Salle
14 ( 17 ) VIVE LE ROCK Adam Ant
15 ( 26 ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red
16 ( 9 ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young
17 ( 15 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
18 ( 10 ) LIFE IN ONE DAY Howard Jones
19 ( NEW ) IN BETWEEN DAYS The Cure
20 ( 23 ) LOVING YOU Feargal Sharkey

21 ( 12 ) HEAD OVER HEELS Tears For Fears
22 ( NEW ) RASPBERRY BERET Prince
23 ( 16 ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
24 ( 13 ) OUT OF TOUCH Daryl Hall and John Oates
25 ( 19 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
26 ( 59 ) LIVING ON VIDEO Trans X
27 ( 37 ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
28 ( 38 ) TURN IT UP The Conway Brothers
29 ( NEW ) IN YOUR CAR The Cool Notes
30 ( 39 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol

31 ( 22 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
32 ( 32 ) FEEL THE RAINDROPS The Adventures
33 ( 24 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
34 ( 67 ) WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME) Tina Turner
35 ( 25 ) OBSESSION Animotion
36 ( 36 ) EXCITABLE Amazulu
37 ( 52 ) SECRET OMD
38 ( 42 ) LOVE IS JUST THE GREAT ADVENTURE Animal Nightlife
39 ( 27 ) CRAZY FOR YOU Madonna
40 ( 50 ) COME TO MILTON KEYNES The Style Council

41 ( 28 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
42 ( 30 ) JOHNNY COME HOME Fine Young Cannibals
43 ( 49 ) LET HIM GO Animotion
44 ( 41 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
45 ( 21 ) DIRTY LAUNDRY Don Henley
46 ( 44 ) CRY Godley And Creme
47 ( 34 ) ACT OF WAR Elton John and Millie Jackson
48 ( 31 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
49 ( NEW ) THE GOONIES ‘R’ GOOD ENOUGH Cyndi Lauper
50 ( 71 ) DANCING IN THE KEY OF LIFE Steve Arrington

51 ( 35 ) SMUGGLER’S BLUES Glen Frey
52 ( NEW ) DARE ME The Pointer Sisters
53 ( 43 ) CALL ME Go West
54 ( 65 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
55 ( 55 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
56 ( 45 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
57 ( 56 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
58 ( 48 ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie
59 ( 47 ) ICING ON THE CAKE Stephen ‘Tintin’ Duffy
60 ( NEW ) I GOT YOU BABE UB40 and Chrissie Hynde

61 ( NEW ) DON QUIXOTE Nik Kershaw
62 ( 57 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
63 ( 33 ) BRING IT DOWN (THIS INSANE THING) Redskins
64 ( 54 ) ONE LONELY NIGHT REO Speedwagon
65 ( 70 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
66 ( NEW ) GOLDEN YEARS Loose Ends
67 ( 51 ) CHERISH Kool And The Gang
68 ( 40 ) GOODBYE BAD TIMES Philip Oakey and Giorgio Moroder
69 ( 60 ) ALL FALL DOWN Five Star
70 ( 69 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine

71 ( NEW ) GENIE B B & Q
72 ( 64 ) A VIEW TO A KILL Duran Duran
73 ( NEW ) I CAN’T LEAVE YOU ALONE Tracie
74 ( NEW ) MONEY FOR NOTHING Dire Straits
75 ( NEW ) TWISTIN’ THE NIGHT AWAY Divine

TV 20th - 26th July
1 The Young Ones: Sick
2 Star Trek: Dagger Of The Mind
3 Cheers
4 The Young Ones: Boring
5 The Mary Tyler Moore Show: pilot
6 Hill Street Blues
7 Lou Grant
8 Top Of The Pops
9 Batman
10 The Phil Silvers Show

At work Nick got inspired to put words and sing to any tunes I come up with on my music computer, I wish I’d taken him up on it really, missed opportunity he would have made a great pop star, sadly my tunes were crap and technology just wasn’t there without big cash in those days to get a decent sound. I would have done better with an electric guitar or piano frankly! Doh! Mum appeared to have a liver infection, at home, which caused me anxiety. On TV Patrick Duffy’s Bobby Ewing got bumped off, pure emotion, pure corn but engrossing and tongue-in-cheek Dallas season climax. It was all downhill from here really...

On saturday we got the bad news that mum’s mum, grandma in Liverpool had gone blind in one eye thanks to a burst blood clot - this was actually a good thing as she had had another minor heart attack the other week and not told us, and would otherwise have likely died. We made plans to go up to Liverpool.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 25 2015, 02:21 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
30th July 1985

2 weeks for Eurythmics at 1, and The Cure shoot up to 2 for the second time, with In Between Days. Jaki Graham gets a second top 10, her first solo, and Tina Turner gets her 4th, or 3rd solo, with the Mad Max song. Highest new entry at 10 is the latest in the anniversary reissue and recharting hits for The Beatles - Help! It had made my charts for the first time in 1976 (when it again made the UK singles chart), but had long been a fave since I went to the cinema as a boy of 7 to watch the movie, a glorious colourful light-hearted romp packed with great songs. Culturally, The Beatles were everything in the 60’s, and Help! was only 3 years into their chart career, and yet seemed instantly as if the record had always existed. Tina Turner, just above them, had then-recently done her best to turn the urgent manic begging of the classic original into a self-pitying plodder, so it’s only fair the original should be nipping at her heels with one of her best records. Billy Idol, still looking for a White Wedding, hits the top 20 at long last, as Prince’s Raspberry Beret squeezes in too. Fruity!

Madonna gets both the highest current new entry, with US-12inch B side the excellent Into The Groove mystifyingly never a single, given it’s still Madonna’s biggest UK hit, in at 16, her 7th chart entry since Holiday debuted in the top 10 the previous year - and back again at 19, Madonna having gone from just another female popdisco act, to superstar, allowing her new legion of fans who hadn’t noticed it first time round to buy it again, as it went all the way to 2 in the UK singles chart, behind Into The Groove which hit 1. Quite big then, and having already jumped into a big movie, desperately seeking Susan, didn’t hurt at all! Meanwhile UB40 and Chrissie Hynde make the top 30, as Mainframe enter at 33, with a not-Stranglers 5 Minutes, quite exciting dance track. The Pointer Sisters are still daring me to mention they have made the 40 along with Cyndi Lauper’s Goonies, as a gentle Phil Collins minor UK hit, Take Me Home, enters at 38 outdoing some of his bigger hits for me, cos it’s pretty nice.

Five Star get Let Me Be The One for a second chart entry at 52, and Arrow do the same at 59, with the catchy Long Time. Which leaves follow-ups from The Untouchables, Gary Moore and Broooce and another Born In The USA single, Glory Days.

1 ( 1 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics
2 ( 19 ) IN BETWEEN DAYS The Cure
3 ( 2 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
4 ( 3 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
5 ( 6 ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
6 ( 11 ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham
7 ( 10 ) CHANGE Sparks
8 ( 4 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
9 ( 34 ) WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME) Tina Turner
10 ( NEW ) HELP! The Beatles

11 ( 15 ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red
12 ( 8 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
13 ( 29 ) IN YOUR CAR The Cool Notes
14 ( 7 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
15 ( 30 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol
16 ( NEW ) INTO THE GROOVE Madonna
17 ( 5 ) SHADOW OF LOVE The Damned
18 ( 22 ) RASPBERRY BERET Prince
19 ( NEW ) HOLIDAY Madonna
20 ( 20 ) LOVING YOU Feargal Sharkey

21 ( 12 ) DUEL Propaganda
22 ( 9 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
23 ( 13 ) MY TOOT TOOT Denise La Salle
24 ( 27 ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
25 ( 37 ) SECRET OMD
26 ( 26 ) LIVING ON VIDEO Trans X
27 ( 17 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
28 ( 16 ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young
29 ( 18 ) LIFE IN ONE DAY Howard Jones
30 ( 60 ) I GOT YOU BABE UB40 and Chrissie Hynde

31 ( 14 ) VIVE LE ROCK Adam Ant
32 ( 36 ) EXCITABLE Amazulu
33 ( NEW ) 5 MINUTES (ONE DAY - LIES LIES..) Mainframe
34 ( 52 ) DARE ME The Pointer Sisters
35 ( 31 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
36 ( 25 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
37 ( NEW ) TAKE ME HOME Phil Collins
38 ( 21 ) HEAD OVER HEELS Tears For Fears
39 ( 49 ) THE GOONIES ‘R’ GOOD ENOUGH Cyndi Lauper
40 ( 24 ) OUT OF TOUCH Daryl Hall and John Oates

41 ( 23 ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
42 ( 35 ) OBSESSION Animotion
43 ( 28 ) TURN IT UP The Conway Brothers
44 ( 44 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
45 ( 46 ) CRY Godley And Creme
46 ( 50 ) DANCING IN THE KEY OF LIFE Steve Arrington
47 ( 33 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
48 ( 55 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
49 ( 66 ) GOLDEN YEARS Loose Ends
50 ( 57 ) MEGAREX T.Rex

51 ( 32 ) FEEL THE RAINDROPS The Adventures
52 ( NEW ) LET ME BE THE ONE Five Star
53 ( 39 ) CRAZY FOR YOU Madonna
54 ( 43 ) LET HIM GO Animotion
55 ( 54 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
56 ( 38 ) LOVE IS JUST THE GREAT ADVENTURE Animal Nightlife
57 ( 41 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
58 ( 74 ) MONEY FOR NOTHING Dire Straits
59 ( NEW ) LONG TIME Arrow
60 ( 61 ) DON QUIXOTE Nik Kershaw

61 ( 42 ) JOHNNY COME HOME Fine Young Cannibals
62 ( 56 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
63 ( 40 ) COME TO MILTON KEYNES The Style Council
64 ( 68 ) GOODBYE BAD TIMES Philip Oakey and Giorgio Moroder
65 ( 58 ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie
66 ( 62 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
67 ( 65 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
68 ( 48 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
69 ( NEW ) GLORY DAYS Bruce Springsteen
70 ( 47 ) ACT OF WAR Elton John and Millie Jackson

71 ( 53 ) CALL ME Go West
72 ( 45 ) DIRTY LAUNDRY Don Henley
73 ( NEW ) EMPTY ROOMS Gary Moore
74 ( 70 ) WALK LIKE A MAN Divine
75 ( NEW ) I SPY (FOR THE FBI) The Untouchables

TV 27th July- 2nd Aug

1 Star Trek: Conscience Of The King
2 Hill Street Blues
3 The Phil Silvers Show
4 Cheers
5 Lou Grant
6 Top Of The Pops
7 Batman
8 Taxi
9 Bewitched
10 I Dream Of Jeannie

At home good news about grandma’s blood-clotted eye, she wasn’t blind in it, and it should hopefully improve. Hot sunny weather helped the country roads surveying, and on friday Nick, Bob and I all played pool at lunchtime in a pub, all winning, great fun. Bought Boomtown Rats & Stranglers albums after work, and my brother arrived with Sue & the kids at home, he took the piss out of my moped (but still had a go). Baby Gav was very quiet, Vicki a very noisy active toddler by now. These days I like reminding Vicki of the olden days when chatting about toddler William, who takes after his mum smile.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 27 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
6th August 1985

Following Live Aid and the heartbreaking video accompanying the news footage played along to the Cars' Drive, the record was given a new boost with proceeds for charity. Already spine-tinglingly sad and poignant with it's original video, it now became enormously powerful and duly enters on top of my chart 9 months after getting a week on top in 1984. That's bad news for Madonna, as she becomes a post-Live-Aid-obsession with teens and older, and her 1984 top 10 debut is kept off the top by another 1984 oldie. Just to rub it in, her non-American single (what!?) Into The Groove peaks almost as high as Holiday did first time round (so far).

Another oldie also hits 7 - yes, the year of reactivated non-hits is 1985 - for Billy Idol, the fabulous White Wedding taking advantage of his chart-topper in, yes, 1984 to chart 2 or 3 years late. Tina Turner gets a first solo top 5 hit, with the Mad Max sequel theme song, as Brit-soul band Cool Notes go top 10. OMD, UB40 and Chrissie Hynde go top 20, and in at 28, the highest new song is Kate Bush and her classic Running Up That Hill, returning her to the top 40 for the first time in over 4 years with a bang and a big comeback album, The Hounds Of Love.

D. Train enter at 38 (later to be a hit all over in remixed form), Five Star and Nik Kershaw go top 40, and chart returns for Katrina & The Waves, Go West, Tracie, Belouis Some, a chart reissue for Elvis Presley's 1972 top 10 Always On My Mind at 76 (expanded for one week), a chart debut for cool indie band Prefab Sprout at 71, and their fab song based around referencing Faron Young's 1972 top 10 chart hit It's Four In The Morning, and inconspicuously in at 74 it's Bryan Adams and his future rock anthem, Summer Of '69, a song that regularly pops back into the 21st century charts, being as it's a regular seller. Not unrelated to his performance of it at Live Aid, actually, but it never charted highly in the UK singles chart (nor mine), being as it's nowhere near as great as Run To You and most of his other hits. hey ho!

1 ( NEW ) DRIVE The Cars
2 ( 19 ) HOLIDAY Madonna
3 ( 1 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics
4 ( 2 ) IN BETWEEN DAYS The Cure
5 ( 9 ) WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME) Tina Turner
6 ( 16 ) INTO THE GROOVE Madonna
7 ( 15 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol
8 ( 6 ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham
9 ( 5 ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
10 ( 13 ) IN YOUR CAR The Cool Notes

11 ( 3 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
12 ( 8 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
13 ( 7 ) CHANGE Sparks
14 ( 4 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
15 ( 24 ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
16 ( 18 ) RASPBERRY BERET Prince
17 ( 25 ) SECRET OMD
18 ( 10 ) HELP! The Beatles
19 ( 30 ) I GOT YOU BABE UB40 and Chrissie Hynde
20 ( 12 ) HISTORY Mai Tai

21 ( 11 ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red
22 ( 14 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
23 ( 20 ) LOVING YOU Feargal Sharkey
24 ( 17 ) SHADOW OF LOVE The Damned
25 ( 26 ) LIVING ON VIDEO Trans X
26 ( 37 ) TAKE ME HOME Phil Collins
27 ( 32 ) EXCITABLE Amazulu
28 ( NEW ) RUNNING UP THAT HILL Kate Bush
29 ( 34 ) DARE ME The Pointer Sisters
30 ( 22 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer

31 ( 52 ) LET ME BE THE ONE Five Star
32 ( 21 ) DUEL Propaganda
33 ( 33 ) 5 MINUTES (ONE DAY - LIES LIES..) Mainframe
34 ( 59 ) LONG TIME Arrow
35 ( 23 ) MY TOOT TOOT Denise La Salle
36 ( 39 ) THE GOONIES ‘R’ GOOD ENOUGH Cyndi Lauper
37 ( 27 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
38 ( NEW ) YOU’RE THE ONE FOR ME D. Train
39 ( 35 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
40 ( 60 ) DON QUIXOTE Nik Kershaw

41 ( 28 ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young
42 ( 36 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
43 ( 29 ) LIFE IN ONE DAY Howard Jones
44 ( 69 ) GLORY DAYS Bruce Springsteen
45 ( 45 ) CRY Godley And Creme
46 ( 44 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
47 ( 42 ) OBSESSION Animotion
48 ( 48 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
49 ( 49 ) GOLDEN YEARS Loose Ends
50 ( 38 ) HEAD OVER HEELS Tears For Fears

51 ( 31 ) VIVE LE ROCK Adam Ant
52 ( 40 ) OUT OF TOUCH Daryl Hall and John Oates
53 ( 50 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
54 ( 47 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
55 ( 58 ) MONEY FOR NOTHING Dire Straits
56 ( 41 ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
57 ( 55 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
58 ( NEW ) SOME PEOPLE Belouis Some
59 ( 43 ) TURN IT UP The Conway Brothers
60 ( NEW ) GOODBYE GIRL Go West

61 ( 46 ) DANCING IN THE KEY OF LIFE Steve Arrington
62 ( 53 ) CRAZY FOR YOU Madonna
63 ( 57 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
64 ( 73 ) EMPTY ROOMS Gary Moore
65 ( 61 ) JOHNNY COME HOME Fine Young Cannibals
66 ( NEW ) CAN’T LEAVE YOU ALONE Tracie Young
67 ( 67 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
68 ( 66 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood
69 ( 62 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
70 ( NEW ) DO YOU WANT CRYING Katrina And The Waves

71 ( NEW ) FARON YOUNG Prefab Sprout
72 ( 71 ) CALL ME Go West
73 ( 68 ) THE WORD GIRL Scritti Politti
74 ( NEW ) SUMMER OF ’69 Bryan Adams
75 ( 65 ) LOVING THE ALIEN David Bowie
76 ( NEW ) ALWAYS ON MY MIND Elvis Presley

TV Aug 3rd-9th
1 Hill Street Blues
2 Cheers
3 Top Of The Pops
4 The Phil Silvers Show
5 Batman

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 12 2017, 04:01 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
13th August 1985

2 weeks for the heartbreaking Cars classic on top, as Kate Bush runs up that hill to 6 and her biggest track since Sat In Your Lap 4 years earlier. That obscure Mainframe track remains unavailable in 2017, but it's jolly enough technopop up to 16 for 5 minutes, and Amazulu get all excitable at grabbing a top 20. Dire Straits take their classic Money For Nothing up a whopping 32 spots, with an assist from Sting, who also enters at 43 with his own single - Love Is The Seventh Wave. Elvis' 1972 oldie, meanwhile, is back in the 40 some 12 years after dropping out, Always On My Mind was one of his better ballad-years songs. In at 36, we have Princess joining Prince inside the 40, new with Say I'm Your Number One, just ahead of Baltimora's fun (if cheesy) Tarzan Boy.

Other newies: Marc Almond and his good Stories Of Johnny in at 57, Mai Tai get a follow-up hit to History, the late Glen Frey is new at 62 with Sexy Girl, 60's legend Aretha Franklin returns back on form (of sorts, not exactly SOUL form, but pleasant enough) and Freeway Of Love, giving her a then-impressive 17 years of chart entries. Finally, in at 75, it's Tequila from No Way Jose and their version of The Champs classic 1958 Spanish-language hit, done 80's stylee. Suggs eventually borrowed it for his hit No More Alcohol, and not to be confused with the unrealted Terrorvision track of the same Tequila name which is just as fab.

1 ( 1 ) DRIVE The Cars
2 ( 2 ) HOLIDAY Madonna
3 ( 3 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics
4 ( 5 ) WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME) Tina Turner
5 ( 6 ) INTO THE GROOVE Madonna
6 ( 28 ) RUNNING UP THAT HILL Kate Bush
7 ( 7 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol
8 ( 4 ) IN BETWEEN DAYS The Cure
9 ( 10 ) IN YOUR CAR The Cool Notes
10 ( 13 ) CHANGE Sparks

11 ( 8 ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham
12 ( 9 ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
13 ( 16 ) RASPBERRY BERET Prince
14 ( 17 ) SECRET OMD
15 ( 19 ) I GOT YOU BABE UB40 and Chrissie Hynde
16 ( 33 ) 5 MINUTES (ONE DAY - LIES LIES..) Mainframe
17 ( 27 ) EXCITABLE Amazulu
18 ( 18 ) HELP! The Beatles
19 ( 12 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
20 ( 11 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive

21 ( 26 ) TAKE ME HOME Phil Collins
22 ( 14 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
23 ( 55 ) MONEY FOR NOTHING Dire Straits
24 ( 38 ) YOU’RE THE ONE FOR ME D. Train
25 ( 15 ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
26 ( 29 ) DARE ME The Pointer Sisters
27 ( 31 ) LET ME BE THE ONE Five Star
28 ( 40 ) DON QUIXOTE Nik Kershaw
29 ( 34 ) LONG TIME Arrow
30 ( 20 ) HISTORY Mai Tai

31 ( 21 ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red
32 ( 76 ) ALWAYS ON MY MIND Elvis Presley
33 ( 22 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
34 ( 23 ) LOVING YOU Feargal Sharkey
35 ( 30 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
36 ( NEW ) SAY I’M YOUR NUMBER ONE Princess
37 ( 44 ) GLORY DAYS Bruce Springsteen
38 ( 24 ) SHADOW OF LOVE The Damned
39 ( NEW ) TARZAN BOY Baltimora
40 ( 35 ) MY TOOT TOOT Denise La Salle

41 ( 32 ) DUEL Propaganda
42 ( 39 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
43 ( NEW ) LOVE IS THE SEVENTH WAVE Sting
44 ( 37 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
45 ( 42 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
46 ( 25 ) LIVING ON VIDEO Trans X
47 ( 60 ) GOODBYE GIRL Go West
48 ( 45 ) CRY Godley And Creme
49 ( 48 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
50 ( 46 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears

51 ( 58 ) SOME PEOPLE Belouis Some
52 ( 36 ) THE GOONIES ‘R’ GOOD ENOUGH Cyndi Lauper
53 ( 47 ) OBSESSION Animotion
54 ( 53 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
55 ( 41 ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young
56 ( 66 ) CAN’T LEAVE YOU ALONE Tracie Young
57 ( NEW ) STORIES OF JOHNNY Marc Almond
58 ( 43 ) LIFE IN ONE DAY Howard Jones
59 ( 74 ) SUMMER OF ’69 Bryan Adams
60 ( NEW ) BODY AND SOUL Mai Tai

61 ( 70 ) DO YOU WANT CRYING Katrina And The Waves
62 ( NEW ) SEXY GIRL Glenn Frey
63 ( 64 ) EMPTY ROOMS Gary Moore
64 ( 57 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
65 ( 54 ) KAYLEIGH Marillion
66 ( 67 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
67 ( 52 ) OUT OF TOUCH Daryl Hall and John Oates
68 ( NEW ) FREEWAY OF LOVE Aretha Franklin
69 ( 56 ) FRANKIE Sister Sledge
70 ( 68 ) WELCOME TO THE PLEASURE DOME Frankie Goes To Hollywood

71 ( 63 ) PAISLEY PARK Prince
72 ( 50 ) HEAD OVER HEELS Tears For Fears
73 ( 62 ) CRAZY FOR YOU Madonna
74 ( 69 ) ROMANCE (LET YOUR HEART GO) David Cassidy
75 ( NEW ) TEQUILA No Way Jose

In which a classic Comic Strip episode almost tops a classic Star Trek episode. The Latter has the late under-rated Don Marshall as a cynical scientist who has it in for Spock, just before he took on Land Of The Giants I think. Rik Mayall is awesome in Comic Strip as a Clint Eastwood-ish cowboy-themed wannabe: "I think....I'm getting..a suntan" Beatles on a jukebox: "John Paul George and Gringo, hah ha hah". Betty White, now legendary Golden Girl, was also popping up in my faves immediately before she started with the other Gals.

TV 10th-16th Aug
1 Star Trek: Galileo Seven
2 Comic Strip Presents: A Fistful Of Travellers Cheques
3 Hill Street Blues
4 Top Of The Pops
5 The Betty White Show
6 Gun Shy
7 Batman
8 Bewitched
9 The Making Of Supergirl
10 The Rock ‘n’ Roll Years

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 12 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
20th August 1985

3 weeks for the Cars, as Kate Bush gets her first number 2 since Wuthering Heights 7 years earlier. Tarzan Boy and Money For Nothing leap bigly into the 10. These days it would be Dire Straits featuring Sting, who goes top 40 elsewhere. Phil Collins under-rated Take Me Home makes the 20, and Princess leaps into the 20 as Prince falls out, but King enter at 30 with Alone Without You. Where's Queen when you want the complete Royal set?!

Highest new entry is Madness - Yesterday's Men at 28 being a somewhat subdued version of Madness - with hip hop dance making inroads at 29 for Lisa Lisa & co. It sounded a bit different in song structure style at the time, though I havent heard it in decades so not sure how it holds up. Hang on while I check.....well, the beats are a bit dated, and the lack of a big-hook is still somewhat charming. At 37, Bryan Ferry is back with his last great single, Don't Stop The Dance - it was all downhill after this sadly, after a good 13 years of Roxy and solo stuff.

Marc Almond & Belouis Some get another top 40 as new entries lower down include, Amii Stewart's 1979 disco banger Knock On Wood back again, a brilliant new pop goodie from Red Box, Lean On Me (Ah Li-Ayo) at 63, soooo catchy and chanty. At 67, Propaganda get a third hit with Trevor-Horn-produced P-Machinery, The Stylistics are back after a gap of 8 years with Love Is Not The Answer at 71, some 13 years after debuting, and Canadian pop star Corey Hart pops in again. Think Justin Bieber of the 80's....only a better singer, and not dance.

1 ( 1 ) DRIVE The Cars
2 ( 6 ) RUNNING UP THAT HILL Kate Bush
3 ( 5 ) INTO THE GROOVE Madonna
4 ( 2 ) HOLIDAY Madonna
5 ( 3 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics
6 ( 4 ) WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME) Tina Turner
7 ( 39 ) TARZAN BOY Baltimora
8 ( 23 ) MONEY FOR NOTHING Dire Straits
9 ( 7 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol
10 ( 15 ) I GOT YOU BABE UB40 and Chrissie Hynde

11 ( 8 ) IN BETWEEN DAYS The Cure
12 ( 17 ) EXCITABLE Amazulu
13 ( 9 ) IN YOUR CAR The Cool Notes
14 ( 21 ) TAKE ME HOME Phil Collins
15 ( 36 ) SAY I’M YOUR NUMBER ONE Princess
16 ( 16 ) 5 MINUTES (ONE DAY - LIES LIES..) Mainframe
17 ( 10 ) CHANGE Sparks
18 ( 12 ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
19 ( 11 ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham
20 ( 28 ) DON QUIXOTE Nik Kershaw

21 ( 13 ) RASPBERRY BERET Prince
22 ( 24 ) YOU’RE THE ONE FOR ME D. Train
23 ( 19 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
24 ( 27 ) LET ME BE THE ONE Five Star
25 ( 14 ) SECRET OMD
26 ( 20 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
27 ( 32 ) ALWAYS ON MY MIND Elvis Presley
28 ( NEW ) YESTERDAY’S MEN Madness
29 ( NEW ) I WONDER IF I TAKE YOU HOME Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force
30 ( NEW ) ALONE WITHOUT YOU King

31 ( 22 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
32 ( 18 ) HELP! The Beatles
33 ( 25 ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
34 ( 26 ) DARE ME The Pointer Sisters
35 ( 51 ) SOME PEOPLE Belouis Some
36 ( 37 ) GLORY DAYS Bruce Springsteen
37 ( NEW ) DON’T STOP THE DANCE Bryan Ferry
38 ( 30 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
39 ( 56 ) STORIES OF JOHNNY Marc Almond
40 ( 43 ) LOVE IS THE SEVENTH WAVE Sting

41 ( 31 ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red
42 ( 42 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
43 ( 29 ) LONG TIME Arrow
44 ( 33 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
45 ( 35 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
46 ( 59 ) SUMMER OF ’69 Bryan Adams
47 ( 63 ) EMPTY ROOMS Gary Moore
48 ( 45 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
49 ( 49 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
50 ( 48 ) CRY Godley And Creme

51 ( 44 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
52 ( 50 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
53 ( 38 ) SHADOW OF LOVE The Damned
54 ( 60 ) BODY AND SOUL Mai Tai
55 ( 40 ) MY TOOT TOOT Denise La Salle
56 ( 54 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
57 ( 41 ) DUEL Propaganda
58 ( RE ) DON’T YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME) Simple Minds
59 ( NEW ) KNOCK ON WOOD Amii Stewart
60 ( 47 ) GOODBYE GIRL Go West

61 ( 61 ) DO YOU WANT CRYING Katrina And The Waves
62 ( 62 ) SEXY GIRL Glen Frey
63 ( NEW ) LEAN ON ME (AH-LI-AYO) Red Box
64 ( 34 ) LOVING YOU Feargal Sharkey
65 ( 53 ) OBSESSION Animotion
66 ( 55 ) TOMB OF MEMORIES Paul Young
67 ( NEW ) P-MACHINERY Propaganda
68 ( 56 ) CAN’T LEAVE YOU ALONE Tracie Young
69 ( 66 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
70 ( 75 ) TEQUILA No Way Jose

71 ( NEW ) LOVE IS NOT THE ANSWER The Stylistics
72 ( 46 ) LIVING ON VIDEO Trans X
73 ( NEW ) TAKES A LITTLE TIME Total Contrast
74 ( 64 ) DON’T FALL IN LOVE (I SAID) Toyah
75 ( NEW ) NEVER SURRENDER Corey Hart

A future movie franchise pops up (The Naked Gun) and a future court case (Bill Cosby) and 2 MTM productions at 2 and 3 from the 70's, a drama spin-off from a sitcom. Both starred the future voice of "Up" Ed Asner.

TV 17th-23rd Aug
1 Star Trek: Court Martial
2 The Mary Tyler Moore Show
3 Lou Grant
4 Comic Strip Presents: Gino
5 Hill Street Blues
6 Batman
7 Police Squad
8 Top Of The Pops
9 I Dream Of Jeannie
10 The Bill Cosby Show

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 16 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
27th August 1985

It's Kate Bush getting her first chart-topper with the classic Running Up That Hill, so good it did it all over again for the London Olympics in 2012. That means Madonna's UK chart-topper (and biggest UK hit) Into The Groove is in runners-up.

Phil Collins gets another top 10, his 4th or so, with a minor UK hit, Dan Hartman is reactivated and I Can Dream About You is back at 13, a good single and 7 years on from his debut Instant Replay. Just behind is the Live Aid charity single (the main reason I bought it, though the video was fun, and it was good to see Bowie and Jagger together), the pedestrian cover of the Martha & The Vandellas classic Dancing In The Street which went top 10 in my charts in 1969. Bryan Ferry goes top 20, Amii Stewart is back in the 40 6 years on with Knock On Wood, also a cover of a 60's soul classic, and John Parr's movie theme tune megahit is in at 36, and Stevie Wonder's last UK big hit is at 40, Part Time Lover borrowing a Supremes 60's rhythm track (as did Hall & Oates) for a pop goodie.

That leaves follow-up hits for the Thompson Twins, Kim Carnes back after a gap, and 5 years after debut 60's soul cover More Love went top 20 in my charts (60's covers bit of a theme!), David Cassidy, Bananarama, and Odyssey (who get a span of 7 years).

1 ( 2 ) RUNNING UP THAT HILL Kate Bush
2 ( 3 ) INTO THE GROOVE Madonna
3 ( 1 ) DRIVE The Cars
4 ( 7 ) TARZAN BOY Baltimora
5 ( 8 ) MONEY FOR NOTHING Dire Straits
6 ( 4 ) HOLIDAY Madonna
7 ( 5 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics
8 ( 9 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol
9 ( 6 ) WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME) Tina Turner
10 ( 14 ) TAKE ME HOME Phil Collins

11 ( 31 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
12 ( 15 ) SAY I’M YOUR NUMBER ONE Princess
13 ( NEW ) I CAN DREAM ABOUT YOU Dan Hartman
14 ( NEW ) DANCING IN THE STREET David Bowie & Mick Jagger
15 ( 11 ) IN BETWEEN DAYS The Cure
16 ( 12 ) EXCITABLE Amazulu
17 ( 30 ) ALONE WITHOUT YOU King
18 ( 29 ) I WONDER IF I TAKE YOU HOME Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force
19 ( 37 ) DON’T STOP THE DANCE Bryan Ferry
20 ( 10 ) I GOT YOU BABE UB40 and Chrissie Hynde

21 ( 13 ) IN YOUR CAR The Cool Notes
22 ( 22 ) YOU’RE THE ONE FOR ME D. Train
23 ( 28 ) YESTERDAY’S MEN Madness
24 ( 39 ) STORIES OF JOHNNY Marc Almond
25 ( 20 ) DON QUIXOTE Nik Kershaw
26 ( 18 ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
27 ( 27 ) ALWAYS ON MY MIND Elvis Presley
28 ( 17 ) CHANGE Sparks
29 ( 23 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
30 ( 19 ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham

31 ( 25 ) SECRET OMD
32 ( 16 ) 5 MINUTES (ONE DAY - LIES LIES..) Mainframe
33 ( 44 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
34 ( 59 ) KNOCK ON WOOD Amii Stewart
35 ( 35 ) SOME PEOPLE Belouis Some
36 ( NEW ) ST. ELMO’S FIRE (MAN IN MOTION) John Farr
37 ( 26 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
38 ( 40 ) LOVE IS THE SEVENTH WAVE Sting
39 ( 47 ) EMPTY ROOMS Gary Moore
40 ( NEW ) PART TIME LOVER Stevie Wonder

41 ( 21 ) RASPBERRY BERET Prince
42 ( 46 ) SUMMER OF ’69 Bryan Adams
43 ( 42 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
44 ( 24 ) LET ME BE THE ONE Five Star
45 ( NEW ) DON’T MESS WITH DR. DREAM The Thompson Twins
46 ( 33 ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
47 ( 73 ) TAKES A LITTLE TIME Total Contrast
48 ( 49 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
49 ( 38 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
50 ( 54 ) BODY AND SOUL Mai Tai

51 ( 48 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
52 ( 50 ) CRY Godley And Creme
53 ( 52 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
54 ( 34 ) DARE ME The Pointer Sisters
55 ( 45 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
56 ( NEW ) CRAZY IN THE NIGHT Kim Carnes
57 ( 56 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
58 ( 60 ) GOODBYE GIRL Go West
59 ( 36 ) GLORY DAYS Bruce Springsteen
60 ( 43 ) LONG TIME Arrow

61 ( 63 ) LEAN ON ME (AH-LI-AYO) Red Box
62 ( 41 ) MONEY’S TOO TIGHT (TO MENTION) Simply Red
63 ( 75 ) NEVER SURRENDER Corey Hart
64 ( 67 ) P-MACHINERY Propaganda
65 ( 57 ) DUEL Propaganda
66 ( NEW ) POWER OF LOVE Huey Lewis & The News
67 ( 51 ) BORN IN THE USA/ I’M ON FIRE Bruce Springsteen
68 ( 58 ) DON’T YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME) Simple Minds
69 ( 69 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
70 ( NEW ) SOMEONE David Cassidy

71 ( NEW ) BODY ROCK Maria Vidal
72 ( 61 ) DO YOU WANT CRYING Katrina And The Waves
73 ( NEW ) DO NOT DISTURB Bananarama
74 ( 53 ) SHADOW OF LOVE The Damned
75 ( NEW ) (JOY) I KNOW IT Odyssey

Everything coming up Star Trek, MTM shows, and the Comic Strip/Young Ones comics for me on TV, as Back To The Future gets some early promo with the Huey Lewis Power Of Love entering the chart.

TV 24th-30th Aug
1 Star Trek: Menagerie Pt 2
2 Star Trek: Menagerie Pt 1
3 Hill Street Blues
4 The Young Ones
5 Cheers
6 Comic Strip Presents: 5 Go Mad On Mescalin
7 The Munsters
8 Lou Grant
9 Top Of The Pops
10 Leonard Nimoy: Memories Of Star Trek
11 Police Squad
12 Bob Monkhouse Meets Joan Rivers
13 Doctor Who: Resurrection Of The Daleks
14 Comic Strip Presents: Slags
15 Bewitched

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 15 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
2nd September 2017

having peaked at 5 and dropped, it's a sudden climb to top my charts for Bucks Fizz' chart-flop (but fab) You And Your Heart So Blue, their 4th time on top. I think I bought the record in the cut-price basket and got to play it loud, as it should be. Mick & Dave go top 10 along with Bry just behind, all 3 of 'em dad dancing. The Thompson Twins shoot up into the 20 with Don't Mess With Doctor Dream, not one of their bigger UK chart hits, but I liked it. Amii Stewart takes her 2 remixed 1979 top hits back into the 20, Red Box' fabness drives into the 30, and highest new entry is the obscure follow-up to the classic Life In A Northern Town from Dream Academy, at 29.

Bananarama ask not to be disturbed, just about the last of their Jolly Swainey jangletoons, as Mai Tai also drink to making the top 40, and a rock classic, err, limps up to 36 for Bryan Adams, possibly cos I recalled the Summer of '69 very well and it sounded much better than that! Blancmange are back, What's Your Problem? they ask - to which the answer is, no more big hits, sadly. Enjoyed them recently in concert though (2016). There's another well-recalled song from Bonnie Tyler popping in at 60, that was decent enough, but no Total Eclipse Of The Heart. Laura Branigan is also back, with a track I've forgotten, Dio rocks in, and best of all a ballad from Dusty Springfield brings her back into my chart, more in line with her 60's stuff than the fab gentle disco of Baby Blue in 1979.

1 ( 33 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
2 ( 1 ) RUNNING UP THAT HILL Kate Bush
3 ( 2 ) INTO THE GROOVE Madonna
4 ( 4 ) TARZAN BOY Baltimora
5 ( 3 ) DRIVE The Cars
6 ( 14 ) DANCING IN THE STREET David Bowie & Mick Jagger
7 ( 6 ) HOLIDAY Madonna
8 ( 19 ) DON’T STOP THE DANCE Bryan Ferry
9 ( 8 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol
10 ( 7 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics

11 ( 5 ) MONEY FOR NOTHING Dire Straits
12 ( 12 ) SAY I’M YOUR NUMBER ONE Princess
13 ( 13 ) I CAN DREAM ABOUT YOU Dan Hartman
14 ( 18 ) I WONDER IF I TAKE YOU HOME Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force
15 ( 17 ) ALONE WITHOUT YOU King
16 ( 45 ) DON’T MESS WITH DR. DREAM The Thompson Twins
17 ( 10 ) TAKE ME HOME Phil Collins
18 ( 9 ) WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME) Tina Turner
19 ( 34 ) KNOCK ON WOOD/ LIGHT MY FIRE Amii Stewart
20 ( 23 ) YESTERDAY’S MEN Madness

21 ( 22 ) YOU’RE THE ONE FOR ME D. Train
22 ( 24 ) STORIES OF JOHNNY Marc Almond
23 ( 20 ) I GOT YOU BABE UB40 and Chrissie Hynde
24 ( 40 ) PART TIME LOVER Stevie Wonder
25 ( 11 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
26 ( 15 ) IN BETWEEN DAYS The Cure
27 ( 61 ) LEAN ON ME (AH-LI-AYO) Red Box
28 ( 25 ) DON QUIXOTE Nik Kershaw
29 ( NEW ) THE LOVE PARADE Dream Academy
30 ( 16 ) EXCITABLE Amazulu

31 ( 73 ) DO NOT DISTURB Bananarama
32 ( 39 ) EMPTY ROOMS Gary Moore
33 ( 50 ) BODY AND SOUL Mai Tai
34 ( 29 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
35 ( 36 ) ST. ELMO’S FIRE (MAN IN MOTION) John Parr
36 ( 42 ) SUMMER OF ’69 Bryan Adams
37 ( 37 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
38 ( 38 ) LOVE IS THE SEVENTH WAVE Sting
39 ( 21 ) IN YOUR CAR The Cool Notes
40 ( 30 ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham

41 ( 26 ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
42 ( 28 ) CHANGE Sparks
43 ( 47 ) TAKES A LITTLE TIME Total Contrast
44 ( 31 ) SECRET OMD
45 ( 43 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
46 ( NEW ) WHAT’S YOUR PROBLEM? Blancmange
47 ( 71 ) BODY ROCK Maria Vidal
48 ( 56 ) CRAZY IN THE NIGHT Kim Carnes
49 ( 48 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
50 ( 66 ) POWER OF LOVE Huey Lewis & The News

51 ( 51 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
52 ( 52 ) CRY Godley And Creme
53 ( 53 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
54 ( 49 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
55 ( 27 ) ALWAYS ON MY MIND Elvis Presley
56 ( 32 ) 5 MINUTES (ONE DAY - LIES LIES..) Mainframe
57 ( 44 ) LET ME BE THE ONE Five Star
58 ( 57 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
59 ( 35 ) SOME PEOPLE Belouis Some
60 ( NEW ) HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO Bonnie Tyler

61 ( 41 ) RASPBERRY BERET Prince
62 ( NEW ) SPANISH EDDIE Laura Branigan
63 ( 63 ) NEVER SURRENDER Corey Hart
64 ( 70 ) SOMEONE David Cassidy
65 ( 54 ) DARE ME The Pointer Sisters
66 ( 55 ) AXEL F Harold Faltemeyer
67 ( NEW ) ROCK ‘N’ ROLL CHILDREN Dio
68 ( 75 ) (JOY) I KNOW IT Odyssey
69 ( NEW ) SOMETIMES LIKE BUTTERFLIES Dusty Springfield
70 ( 58 ) GOODBYE GIRL Go West

71 ( 69 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
72 ( 46 ) LIVE IS LIFE Opus
73 ( NEW ) UNKISS THAT KISS Stephen Duffy
74 ( 68 ) DON’T YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME) Simple Minds
75 ( 65 ) DUEL Propaganda

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 15 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
w/e 10th September 1985

It's Dancing In The Live Aid Street as Bowie & Jagger outdo the Martha & The Vandellas original in my charts - though not in terms of quality! Red Box rocket to 2, catchy left-wing-pop, and The Twins get a 3rd or 4th top 10 and Dan Hartman a second, some 7 years after the first (Instant Replay). There's loads of new entries in a busy chart, and Blancmange jump into the 40 at 22, Bonnie Tyler to 29 for 9 years of hits, and 2 early 80's reissued Tears For Fears singles make the 40 belatedly - though Pale Shelter did it in 1982 in re-recorded form, a track used as the basis to the fab The Weeknd's Secrets, which topped my chart months back as I write (2017).

Highest actual new track - If I Was. Midge Ure's solo mini-masterpiece followed the Ultravox break-up, and gave him a first solo hit since his cover of No Regrets went top 10 in 1982, and 9 years since he was very young and Slik, Forever And Ever. Carly Simon, as ever in those days, back with the occasional minor hit at 38, her best since Will Powers' Kissing With Confidence hit 2 in my charts in 1983 (she did all the singing). Billy Idol's early 80's American hit finally also charts in the UK, and recharts here, as follow up to White Wedding: Rebel Yell!

Others, Marillion dilly-dillying, Bucks Fizz are Magical, though actually less magical than the track dropping from the top of my charts, Strawberry Switchblade cover a 1976 top 10 for Dolly Parton, that'll be Jolene then, Hipsway do a spot of gospel, the Frankie gals miss a perfect opportunity to retitle a song Dancing On The Jagged Sledge, Heaven 17 and Propaganda lease out their lead vocalists for a duet I've forgotten - though like the sound of it so I'm bound to youtube it and buy it as I didn't get it at the time. Scritti Politti are back with a laid-back Green sounding American hit, Lloyd Cole causes a mild commotion a year on from Perfect Skin, and China Crisis get a paper cut. Phew!

1 ( 6 ) DANCING IN THE STREET David Bowie & Mick Jagger
2 ( 27 ) LEAN ON ME (AH-LI-AYO) Red Box
3 ( 2 ) RUNNING UP THAT HILL Kate Bush
4 ( 4 ) TARZAN BOY Baltimora
5 ( 8 ) DON’T STOP THE DANCE Bryan Ferry
6 ( 3 ) INTO THE GROOVE Madonna
7 ( 1 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
8 ( 16 ) DON’T MESS WITH DR. DREAM The Thompson Twins
9 ( 5 ) DRIVE The Cars
10 ( 13 ) I CAN DREAM ABOUT YOU Dan Hartman

11 ( 12 ) SAY I’M YOUR NUMBER ONE Princess
12 ( 15 ) ALONE WITHOUT YOU King
13 ( 7 ) HOLIDAY Madonna
14 ( 9 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol
15 ( 19 ) KNOCK ON WOOD/ LIGHT MY FIRE Amii Stewart
16 ( 29 ) THE LOVE PARADE Dream Academy
17 ( 24 ) PART TIME LOVER Stevie Wonder
18 ( 11 ) MONEY FOR NOTHING Dire Straits
19 ( 22 ) STORIES OF JOHNNY Marc Almond
20 ( 20 ) YESTERDAY’S MEN Madness

21 ( 10 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics
22 ( 46 ) WHAT’S YOUR PROBLEM? Blancmange
23 ( 14 ) I WONDER IF I TAKE YOU HOME Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force
24 ( 21 ) YOU’RE THE ONE FOR ME D. Train
25 ( 17 ) TAKE ME HOME Phil Collins
26 ( 18 ) WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME) Tina Turner
27 ( NEW ) PALE SHELTER Tears For Fears
28 ( 31 ) DO NOT DISTURB Bananarama
29 ( 60 ) HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO Bonnie Tyler
30 ( 33 ) BODY AND SOUL Mai Tai

31 ( 23 ) I GOT YOU BABE UB40 and Chrissie Hynde
32 ( 35 ) ST. ELMO’S FIRE (MAN IN MOTION) John Parr
33 ( NEW ) IF I WAS Midge Ure
34 ( 50 ) POWER OF LOVE Huey Lewis & The News
35 ( NEW ) SUFFER THE CHILDREN Tears For Fears
36 ( 36 ) SUMMER OF ’69 Bryan Adams
37 ( 25 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
38 ( NEW ) MY BEST BOYFRIEND Carly Simon
39 ( 26 ) IN BETWEEN DAYS The Cure
40 ( NEW ) REBEL YELL Billy Idol

41 ( 34 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
42 ( 28 ) DON QUIXOTE Nik Kershaw
43 ( 43 ) TAKES A LITTLE TIME Total Contrast
44 ( 38 ) LOVE IS THE SEVENTH WAVE Sting
45 ( 47 ) BODY ROCK Maria Vidal
46 ( 37 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
47 ( 45 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
48 ( 40 ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham
49 ( 39 ) IN YOUR CAR The Cool Notes
50 ( 69 ) SOMETIMES LIKE BUTTERFLIES Dusty Springfield

51 ( 49 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
52 ( 51 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
53 ( 62 ) SPANISH EDDIE Laura Branigan
54 ( 44 ) SECRET OMD
55 ( NEW ) LAVENDER Marillion
56 ( 41 ) SHE SELLS SANCTUARY The Cult
57 ( NEW ) MAGICAL Bucks Fizz
58 ( 58 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
59 ( 67 ) ROCK ‘N’ ROLL CHILDREN Dio
60 ( NEW ) JOLENE Strawberry Switchblade

61 ( 52 ) CRY Godley And Creme
62 ( 53 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
63 ( 42 ) CHANGE Sparks
64 ( NEW ) ASK THE LORD Hipsway
65 ( NEW ) DANCING ON THE JAGGED EDGE Sister Sledge
66 ( 32 ) EMPTY ROOMS Gary Moore
67 ( NEW ) WHEN YOUR HEART RUNS OUT OF TIME Glen Gregory and Claudia Brucken
68 ( 30 ) EXCITABLE Amazulu
69 ( 54 ) HISTORY Mai Tai
70 ( NEW ) PERFECT WAY Scritti Politti

71 ( NEW ) BRAND NEW FRIEND Lloyd Cole & The Commotions
72 ( NEW ) THE SHOW (THEME FROM CONNIE) Rebecca Storm
73 ( 71 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
74 ( NEW ) YOU DID CUT ME China Crisis
75 ( 48 ) CRAZY IN THE NIGHT Kim Carnes

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 29 2017, 07:56 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
18th September 1985

It's a new number one, thankfully knocking off Bowie & Jagger from the top after one week only - Red Box and the fab Lean On Me. Tears For Fears grab another top 5, their 5th, with oldie Suffer The Children rocketing up. Blancmange also grab another top 10, their 3rd, and Stevie Wonder hits 9, 17 years after his first (For Once In My Life, a cover of a Tony Bennett minor hit from 1967). Stevie's also back assisting uncredited on Cliff's new song from Dave Clark's musical album of the future musical Time, and Cliff is also 17 years in to his career.

Midge Ure shoots up to 12, If I Was, and it's a magical rise to 26 for Bucks Fizz, back in the UK album chart this very week after an absence of 30-odd years - albeit known as The Fizz, and only three-quarters of the original line-up. Highest new entry is Madonna, she's a UK singles chart Angel in 1985, totally her year, no question. Changing the face of megapop to female vocalists. In at 36, a future shoddy hit cover for Eric Clapton, but here the brilliant original from Greg Phillinganes, Behind The Mask. Featured on Jonathan King's Entertainment USA, and still not a hit.

Rene and Renata have split up, and he's with Angela now - just kidding, it's a smooth soul act newly in, as The Cure are back swiftly with the fab Wardrobe-on-a-cliff Close To Me. At 60, Diana Ross follows up a great single with one that should have been brilliant, written by 2 Gibb brothers and Michael Jackson, who helps more than a little on production and vocals. Di had to wait a few months for a proper Bee Gees classic song though, without Jacko to bring it down a notch (clearly saving his best efforts for Bad).

Know how we look back fondly on those childhood novelty songs? There's one at 70, I have no memory of it at all, prob because I was 27 and not 7. Sneaking in at 74, it's 70's rock divas Heart, at long last charting with the triff What About Love. Sadly it took another another 3 years to progress further as Heart became AOR late 80's UK faves a good decade after US success. The Damned are also back. Is It A Dream? It's not Classix Nouveaux at any rate...

1 ( 2 ) LEAN ON ME (AH-LI-AYO) Red Box
2 ( 1 ) DANCING IN THE STREET David Bowie & Mick Jagger
3 ( 3 ) RUNNING UP THAT HILL Kate Bush
4 ( 8 ) DON’T MESS WITH DR. DREAM The Thompson Twins
5 ( 35 ) SUFFER THE CHILDREN Tears For Fears
6 ( 5 ) DON’T STOP THE DANCE Bryan Ferry
7 ( 4 ) TARZAN BOY Baltimora
8 ( 22 ) WHAT’S YOUR PROBLEM? Blancmange
9 ( 17 ) PART TIME LOVER Stevie Wonder
10 ( 9 ) DRIVE The Cars

11 ( 19 ) STORIES OF JOHNNY Marc Almond
12 ( 33 ) IF I WAS Midge Ure
13 ( 15 ) KNOCK ON WOOD/ LIGHT MY FIRE Amii Stewart
14 ( 6 ) INTO THE GROOVE Madonna
15 ( 7 ) YOU AND YOUR HEART SO BLUE Bucks Fizz
16 ( 16 ) THE LOVE PARADE Dream Academy
17 ( 20 ) YESTERDAY’S MEN Madness
18 ( 11 ) SAY I’M YOUR NUMBER ONE Princess
19 ( 10 ) I CAN DREAM ABOUT YOU Dan Hartman
20 ( 13 ) HOLIDAY Madonna

21 ( 29 ) HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO Bonnie Tyler
22 ( 12 ) ALONE WITHOUT YOU King
23 ( 18 ) MONEY FOR NOTHING Dire Straits
24 ( 14 ) WHITE WEDDING Billy Idol
25 ( 32 ) ST. ELMO’S FIRE (MAN IN MOTION) John Parr
26 ( 57 ) MAGICAL Bucks Fizz
27 ( 27 ) PALE SHELTER Tears For Fears
28 ( 21 ) THERE MUST BE AN ANGEL (PLAYING WITH MY HEART) Eurythmics
29 ( NEW ) ANGEL Madonna
30 ( 34 ) POWER OF LOVE Huey Lewis & The News

31 ( 40 ) REBEL YELL Billy Idol
32 ( 23 ) I WONDER IF I TAKE YOU HOME Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force
33 ( NEW ) SOMEONE David Cassidy
34 ( 26 ) WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME) Tina Turner
35 ( 38 ) MY BEST BOYFRIEND Carly Simon
36 ( NEW ) BEHIND THE MASK Greg Phillinganes
37 ( 24 ) YOU’RE THE ONE FOR ME D. Train
38 ( 45 ) BODY ROCK Maria Vidal
39 ( 55 ) LAVENDER Marillion
40 ( 71 ) BRAND NEW FRIEND Lloyd Cole & The Commotions

41 ( 28 ) DO NOT DISTURB Bananarama
42 ( 25 ) TAKE ME HOME Phil Collins
43 ( 30 ) BODY AND SOUL Mai Tai
44 ( 65 ) DANCING ON THE JAGGED EDGE Sister Sledge
45 ( 31 ) I GOT YOU BABE UB40 and Chrissie Hynde
46 ( NEW ) I’LL BE GOOD Rene And Angela
47 ( 41 ) GETCHA BACK The Beach Boys
48 ( NEW ) CLOSE TO ME The Cure
49 ( 60 ) JOLENE Strawberry Switchblade
50 ( 70 ) PERFECT WAY Scritti Politti

51 ( 47 ) “19” Paul Hardcastle
52 ( 51 ) THE LAST KISS David Cassidy
53 ( 46 ) IN TOO DEEP Dead Or Alive
54 ( 37 ) YOU’RE MY HEART YOU’RE MY SOUL Modern Talking
55 ( 39 ) IN BETWEEN DAYS The Cure
56 ( 64 ) ASK THE LORD Hipsway
57 ( NEW ) SHE’S SO BEAUTIFUL Cliff Richard
58 ( 52 ) SO IN LOVE OMD
59 ( 58 ) MEGAREX T.Rex
60 ( NEW ) EATEN ALIVE Diana Ross

61 ( 50 ) SOMETIMES LIKE BUTTERFLIES Dusty Springfield
62 ( 49 ) IN YOUR CAR The Cool Notes
63 ( 48 ) ROUND AND ROUND Jaki Graham
64 ( 72 ) THE SHOW (THEME FROM CONNIE) Rebecca Storm
65 ( NEW ) I THOUGHT I’D NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN Working Week
66 ( 67 ) WHEN YOUR HEART RUNS OUT OF TIME Glen Gregory and Claudia Brucken
67 ( 61 ) CRY Godley And Creme
68 ( 62 ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD Tears For Fears
69 ( 36 ) SUMMER OF ’69 Bryan Adams
70 ( NEW ) WOODPECKERS FROM SPACE Video Kids

71 ( 42 ) DON QUIXOTE Nik Kershaw
72 ( 73 ) NOW THAT WE’VE FOUND LOVE Third World
73 ( 44 ) LOVE IS THE SEVENTH WAVE Sting
74 ( NEW ) WHAT ABOUT LOVE Heart
75 ( NEW ) IS IT A DREAM The Damned

OLDIES CHART
1 SAVE THE COUNTRY The Fifth Dimension
2 GOOD MORNING STARSHINE Oliver
3 WITHOUT YOU Nilsson

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:01 PM