BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

> 
18 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Anime
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post 19th August 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #61
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Finished watching Knights of Sidonia as it was added to Netflix, becoming on of the first Netflix exclusive anime series, which is quite exciting as Netflix's anime section had been pretty barren apart from old Pokemon episodes (they've also added Kill La Kill as well, which is pretty awesome). If I was to describe it in 5 words, it would be "Attack on Titan in space". Plus, it's interesting to see an anime series that isn't afraid to kill off main characters. There's going to be a 2nd series, which I'm looking forward to.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 19th August 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

I've watched a few series over the summer. Elfen Lied, Full Metal Alchemist & Sword Art Online. Thinking of watching FMA: Brotherhood & Hunter x Hunter some time & currently watching season two of Free! & Sword Art Online II, although need to catch up with both.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 24th August 2014, 03:38 PM
Post #63
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

I wouldn't recommend starting Hunter x Hunter now, it is amazing but has caught up with the manga and therefore will end at episode 148 in September. The manga takes very long breaks so I do not expect a continuation before 2018, unless it is a) an OVA series (like the original 1999 anime) or b) a limited 20-something-episode series (like Inuyasha and Gintama). I am almost caught up, though, and it's great! Especially after the Greed Island arc (which is where the 1999 series ended before the reboot).

I dropped Ping Pong the Animation as it's not something I want to watch in summer (or what is left of it tongue.gif).

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Aug 19 2014, 10:56 PM) *
Finished watching Knights of Sidonia as it was added to Netflix, becoming on of the first Netflix exclusive anime series, which is quite exciting as Netflix's anime section had been pretty barren apart from old Pokemon episodes (they've also added Kill La Kill as well, which is pretty awesome). If I was to describe it in 5 words, it would be "Attack on Titan in space". Plus, it's interesting to see an anime series that isn't afraid to kill off main characters. There's going to be a 2nd series, which I'm looking forward to.

Is it dubbed or subbed? If it's the latter, it's quite major news! I've yet to watch it, but I'll probably wait for the second season to end, as it's part of the Fall Season and I don't want to be watching too many shows.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 24th August 2014, 03:54 PM
Post #64
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

QUOTE(Heezus @ Aug 24 2014, 04:38 PM) *
Is it dubbed or subbed? If it's the latter, it's quite major news! I've yet to watch it, but I'll probably wait for the second season to end, as it's part of the Fall Season and I don't want to be watching too many shows.

It's both actually, which is surprising as they managed to get the dub out so quickly. I watched it subtitled, but it was obvious that whoever did it had no experience in doing subtitles, as quite a lot of information got dropped, especially if someone was talking over another person, or if there was written information on screen to be translated at the same time as someone was speaking.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 24th August 2014, 04:02 PM
Post #65
Group icon
JanWasRobbed

Forgot to mention the most amazing news in the history of Anime. Digimon Adventure is getting another sequel in April 2015, as part of the 15th anniversary project.

Digimon 1 & 2 are my favourite and most watched anime series EVER. I've probably watched it about 6 times, usually once every couple of years.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 25th October 2014, 08:31 PM
Post #66
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

So we're a few weeks into the new anime cours. Here's the series' that I'm watching in this season -

Psycho-Pass 2 - I'm surprised they made a sequel to Psycho-Pass, as I think they tied up all the loose ends beautifully, but that doesn't make me any less excited. Akane has matured since the last season, having learned the truth about the Psycho-Pass system and become the lead investigator of her department, which leads to a different power balance in this series.
Log Horizon 2 - Not as excited about this 2nd series, but I still feel the need to watch it. The continuing adventures of a group of RPG players who find awake one way to find themselves trapped in the game they once played, and how they cope with it.
Shirobako - five girls were members of their school's anime club, who after graduating promised that they would would work in the anime industry, either as producers, artists or voice over artists. 5 years later, we follow their adventures as they start working in the industry, and realise just how much work is required to bring together a full series.
Gonna Be The Twin-Tail! - despite being somewhat desensitized to anime's general weirdness, even I was taken aback by how bonkers the premise of this series is. Soji is a boy who has an obsession with girls with twin-tail haircuts, with the notable exception of his best friend. One day, alien invaders come and start removing girls' love of twin-tail haircuts. Another alien, who takes the form of a rather busty woman, gives him the power to transform into a hero to fight against the invaders, and turns Soji into Twin Red - who's a twin-tail haired girl. Absolutely bonkers by every stretch of the imagination.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 26th October 2014, 07:05 AM
Post #67
Group icon
JanWasRobbed

The only "airing" anime's I'm watching now are: Mushishi Zoku Shou, Naruto, Sword Art Online II.

I've been pretty busy with Bakuman,Natsume Yuujinchou and Black Lagoon, so I've only watched Tokyo Ghoul from the past season, oops!

Shirobako sounds a lot like a continuation of Bakuman, doesn't it? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Heezus Froot: 26th October 2014, 07:25 AM

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 5th February 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #68
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

We're a couple of weeks into the new anime cour, so here's what I've been watching this season:

Assassination Classroom - The set-up for this one is a little bit on the bonkers side. An alien-like creature, who looks like a humanoid octopus and can move at speeds of Mach 20, has just destroyed a large proportion of the moon. He has threatened to destroy the earth, however he makes a deal with the government - he will teach a group of misfit students for a year, whose task it will be to assassinate him. If they fail to do so by the end of the year, he will destroy mankind. Despite the seemingly dark premise, the series is actually a black comedy - the humour comes from the fact that Koro-Sensei (as they name the creature) is a villain that you cannot help but like, and actually cares about teaching the students. The funniest series I've watched in ages.
Death Parade - the series takes place in a purgatory which is set up like a bar. In each episode, two recently deceased individuals (who when they arrive suffer from amnesia and don't remember that they're dead) are made to take part in a parlor game (for example bowling, darts, billiards). However, the games take a turn for the macabre (the darts board is hooked to the person's internal organs, the bowling balls allow the person to see how fast the other's heart is beating), and eventually their pre-death memories return to them. After the game is over, they are judged and are sent to their afterlife fate. Quite a dark show, but rather brilliant, and an unexpectedly upbeat closing song as well.
Tokyo Ghoul root A - The follow-up to the last season of Tokyo Ghoul, which takes an even darker turn following the shocking events of the last episode. Not enjoying it as much as the first season, but still worth watching.

And still watching Log Horizon and Shirobako, which are running for 2 cours.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 6th February 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #69
Group icon
JanWasRobbed

Assassination Classroom sounds quite over the top!

Right now I'm only watching Death Parade. Waiting patiently for Log Horizon 2, Tokyo Ghoul √A & Kuroko no Basket 3 to finish airing so I can binge-watch them.

Since October I've seen Claymore, Barakamon, Psycho-Pass 2, Little Witch Academia, Death Billiards, Hal, Harmonie, Sakasama no Patema & Kaguya-hime no Monogatari.

I think I enjoyed most of these, except Sakasama no Patema. I liked the concept, but it wasn't executed very well.

I LOVED Claymore and I ended up reading the entire manga. An amazing story and the first manga I ever read in full. I ended up reading Elfen Lied after that, not as good, but I enjoyed it too. I hope both get anime remakes one day!

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 19th March 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #70
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

I've had this on a loop in my mind for the past few weeks -

God, I love Koro-Sensei.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 15th April 2015, 12:41 PM
Post #71
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

And it's even better dubbed -

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 15th April 2015, 10:15 PM
Post #72
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

It's only a few weeks into the current season, so I'm still finalising what I'll be watching this cour, but one of this season's shows has already caused a fashion sensation two episodes in. Apparantly a character from "Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon", let's say, unique approach to fashion has spawned several imitators. Of course I'm all for mainstream attention being paid to anime, but I wish it was for something other than this.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 16th April 2015, 11:09 AM
Post #73
Group icon
JanWasRobbed

I've been living anime-free since February, I should really get back to it. I haven't even finished Death Billiards sad.gif

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Apr 16 2015, 01:15 AM) *
It's only a few weeks into the current season, so I'm still finalising what I'll be watching this cour, but one of this season's shows has already caused a fashion sensation two episodes in. Apparantly a character from "Is It Wrong To Tro Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon", let's say, unique approach to fashion has spawned several imitators. Of course I'm all for mainstream attention being paid to anime, but I wish it was for something other than this.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 25th April 2015, 12:03 PM
Post #74
Group icon
JanWasRobbed

Over a week later and I've finished Death Parade, Barakamon, Kiseijuu, the couple of Shingeki no Kyojin OVAs about Levi.

I still have to see Tokyo Ghoul √A, Log Horizon 2, Kuroko No Basket 3 and a bunch of films I've discovered. I'm also re-watching Wolf Children with my bestie tonight. I've told her a thousand times to see it and she still hasn't, so I'm forcing it down her throat. She's a huge fan of Ghibli so I'm confident she'll like it.

This season I'll only be watching Nisekoi: sad.gif I just have too many completed anime on my to-watch list.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 27th April 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #75
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

I just finished watching Samurai Flamenco , which had been on my Netflix queue for quite a while. It's a show about a superhero-obsessed male model who decides to become a hero himself and fight petty crime. It's starts off as a very novel concept, before taking a massive genre shift halfway through.

These season, I'm watching the following shows -

Is It Wrong To Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - yep, "the string" pulled me in, but there's more to the show than that. It's in a similar vein to Sword Art Online and Log Horizon, with the exception that this fantastical world is the real world for them.
Rin-Ne - Probably the most anticipated show for many people, given that it's based on a manga by Rumiko Takahashi, the author responsible for such bona-fide anima/manga classics like Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura and Inuyasha. The show centres around a Sakura, a teenager who was accidentally brought to the spirit world as a child and as a result is able to see ghosts. She ends up teaming with a boy called Rin-Ne, who is 1/4 shinigami, to help spirits pass over to the other side. If you've seen any of Rumiko's other shows, it's business as usual, with fun and hijinks abound.
Yamada-kun & The 7 Witches - Yamada is a lovable delinquent who is biding his time before he can leave school. However, one day, he is knocked unconscious after falling down the stairs with Urara, the most intelligent girl in his class. When he wakes up, he discovers that the two of them have switched bodies, and that they will be able to switch every time they share a kiss. Hilarity ensues, as well as valuable lessons about not judging people by how they appear on the surface. Probably my favourite of the shows I've started watching this season
My Love Story! - Takeo is a kind and sensitive boy in his first year at high school who unfortunately due to his tall, muscular appearance and his looks has never had any female attention, unlike his best friend, the handsome Makoto (who throughout school has always been the attention of all the girls that Takeo had his eye on). When Takeo saves a girl from a pervert on the train, he thinks that she is also attracted to Makoto, so Takeo tries to set the two up. But is Makoto really the object of her affections? I must admit, the third episode of this romantic comedy had me in tears, and it's not often that any show evokes such reactions in me.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 23rd June 2015, 12:38 AM
Post #76
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Been on an anime binge recently and gone through a few series - Claymore, Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, Blood-C, Akame Ga Kill, From the New World, Parasyte & Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Enjoyed them all, but particularly liked parasyte and would definitely recommend it!

Currently watching a few different series at the moment:

Steins;Gate
Neon Genesis Evangilon
Code Geass
Kill La Kill
Kemono no Souja
Ergo Proxy

Out of those, I'm enjoying Ergo Proxy the most so far. Also over the last year I've managed to watch Hunter X Hunter and catch up with One Piece. Also watched a few movies/OVAs - Princess Mononoke, Grave of The Fireflies & Kara no Kyoukai 1: Fukan Fuukei. Enjoyed the first two, particularly Grave of the Fireflies - incredibly moving. Kara no Kyoukai left me underwhelmed, but plan to watch the rest of the OVAs in the Kara no Kyoukai series. My to watch list is huge at the moment though (have another 10-15 lined up to watch after the ones I've finished watching), so should last me until the end of the year. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(♡ Heezus Froot ♡ @ Apr 25 2015, 01:03 PM) *
I just have too many completed anime on my to-watch list.

Same! I'm trying to plow through a lot of the classics and highly rated anime series at the moment. Enjoying myself for sure, but would love to be able to go through the anime season to discover great anime myself/watch it develop.

This post has been edited by Envoirment: 23rd June 2015, 12:45 AM

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 23rd June 2015, 04:31 AM
Post #77
Group icon
JanWasRobbed

I should be the only person on earth that didn't particularly like Parasyte. It was OK, but it didn't take the direction I wanted it to (which is a massive Humans vs Aliens battle).

Kara no Kyokai you should definitely watch the fifth one, it is undoubtedly the best. The bad ones imo are: 1, 4, 6 & Mirai Fukuin.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 23rd June 2015, 04:38 PM
Post #78
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(♡ Heezus Froot ♡ @ Jun 23 2015, 05:31 AM) *
I should be the only person on earth that didn't particularly like Parasyte. It was OK, but it didn't take the direction I wanted it to (which is a massive Humans vs Aliens battle).

Kara no Kyokai you should definitely watch the fifth one, it is undoubtedly the best. The bad ones imo are: 1, 4, 6 & Mirai Fukuin.

I would have loved if it did go into a massive Human vs Aliens battle, but I was quite content with how it ended. Although I would of loved to have seen more battles in the anime.

Thanks, will keep that in mind! The Kara no Kyokai series is a bit of a mind f*** for me laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 23rd June 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #79
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

There's a few anime series' there that I haven't heard of/haven't watched that I may have to check out (Kara No Kyokai seems to be worth watching). Of the ones I have seen, Parasyte is good, albeit very graphic at times (I disagree that it was disappointing that it didn't end with a humans vs aliens battle, I think the ended was as suitably understated for the purpose of the story), and Madoka Magica is brilliant in how it tears up the rulebook for the "magical girl" genre. Steins;Gate and Kill La Kill are great as well, the latter being one of the most bonkers anime series I've ever watched.

I've watched one more anime that I haven't mentioned yet, and it's one I'd wanted to watch for some time. I've more or less resigned to the fact that given it's 750+ episodes long, I'm never going to get into One Piece. However, the films are somewhat self-contained, so you can watch them without having any knowledge of the show. So as a fan of the director Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars, Wolf Children, Girl Who Leapt Through Time), I watched the One Piece film that he directed, "Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island". It's pretty great, and apparantly it's a lot darker than the other films. It's a great film, and definitely one to watch if you get into OP without going through 100s of episodes first.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 23rd June 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #80
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Also, the new anime cour starts in 2 weeks time, so I'm starting to decide what to watch this series. There's a few returning series that I'm looking forward to, like the 3rd series of Working!!! and the 2nd series of Non Non Biyori, and probably a few other new gems as well. Totes excited.

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 12th June 2024, 10:23 PM