BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> MTV Europe Discussion & European Top 20 Archive, 1991 - do you remember?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
*Ben*
post 23rd December 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #41
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
User: 275

So guys, that's all I have at the moment.

I'm sure I have 2 more exercise-books full of MTV charts but I haven't found it yet. I'm searching them and as soon as I find them I will post more charts from 1990-1991.

At least I hope so! wink.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
bobiloko
post 28th December 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,532

Once again, THANK YOU! However many times I say that, it wouldn't be enough! It's amazing to find this information after so many years of searching!
I really hope that you'll find the earlier charts as well. The biggest question for me is: how many weeks did "I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams spend at number 1?
Also, you have charts even from 1990? Do you actually know whether the chart started in 1990 or even before that?

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 28th December 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave

QUOTE(bobiloko @ Dec 28 2007, 10:08 PM) *
Once again, THANK YOU! However many times I say that, it wouldn't be enough! It's amazing to find this information after so many years of searching!
I really hope that you'll find the earlier charts as well. The biggest question for me is: how many weeks did "I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams spend at number 1?
Also, you have charts even from 1990? Do you actually know whether the chart started in 1990 or even before that?

TBH i don't know when the chart started. I started to watch MTV Europe in the early 90s. I hope I find those earlier charts. In my memory there should be somewhere in the garage but where I really don't know. If I will have some spare time I will begin to search for those earlier books I wrote.

+Quote this post
Jamse
post 3rd January 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 5,177

Thanx whoever put those charts up, youve done an excellent job and its amazing to know that there are dedicated fans out there. i thought markus tolksdorf & I were the only ones keeping track of those charts. i`m anxiously looking forward to the charts between 1990 - 1991 aug, and also older charts, please keep me posted when these are submited
bryan adams - everything i do was number one for seven weeks or something like that?
Heavy D`s highest position must have been number two, heard the song=)
Ive heard that european top 20 started in the late 80s and I think its the oldest show on MTV but does anyone know if it was based on cassettes and LP sales then?

This post has been edited by Jamse: 3rd January 2008, 03:11 PM

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 3rd January 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave

Hi Jamse!

Welcome to BuzzJack! It was me who posted these early charts up. I used to write it in an exercise book I wrote like 20 books with dofferent charts full but now all are in the garage. I've found the MTV charts Book #3 but #1 and #2 are missing so far. I will search for them later this year but I can't imagine where they are. If I remember well I started to watch MTV in 1990 but I don't know exactly which charts I have and I'm sure there will be some weeks which are missing (I couldn't watch the chart every week because of some reason: We were on holiday, problems with the TV etc.)

As soon as I have them I will post them up.

I think the MTV Euro top 20 is based on airplay/videoplay or some weird pointing system and not on actual sales.

+Quote this post
tsetsi81
post 4th January 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 4,845

QUOTE(Jamse @ Jan 3 2008, 03:06 PM) *
i thought markus tolksdorf & I were the only ones keeping track of those charts.

I think,jamse,that for you it's good to see that you are not alone tn keeping track of these charts.I felt the same when i joined buzzjack.welcome.

+Quote this post
bobiloko
post 5th January 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Hej Jamse! I'm really happy to see yet another fan of European Top 20! And yes, I also thought before that it was just Markus Toksdorf and I that were so interested in the chart... It's amazing to find out that there are other people sharing this hobby!
I do wonder when European Top 20 started. Having in mind that MTV Europe itself started on August 1, 1987, I guess the chart started in 1988 at earliest...
What the chart is based on is the biggest mystery! I have only heard the chart presenters say that it's a "sales and airplay chart"...

+Quote this post
Jamse
post 8th January 2008, 07:06 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

What the chart is based on is the biggest mystery! I have only heard the chart presenters say that it's a "sales and airplay chart"...
[/quote]

From the way I see it, the chart is primarily based on the single sales of most european countries and is an approximation of these charts arranged in some accurate manner. Airplay also plays a part in the arrangement...but the singles have the leading role.

By the way: have i been sleeping to much or has anyone seen the "best of 2007 chart"???

+Quote this post
tsetsi81
post 8th January 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Jamse said:By the way: have i been sleeping to much or has anyone seen the "best of 2007 chart"???

No Jamse,you haven't been sleeping too much.There wasn't a "best of 2007 chart" so far.Last night MTV showed "the first chart of the new 2008" as the presenter said.It was strange,because there was always a year-end chart.But if you want,you can check M.Tolksdorf's version-it's good!The new year started with very light chart- a lot of non-movers and only one ,but great,new entry.But let's wait for bobiloko to post the chart and leave our comments after that.

This post has been edited by tsetsi81: 8th January 2008, 09:01 AM

+Quote this post
Jamse
post 19th February 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Ive found some older European Top 20 charts;

This is from 1991 July

1 Color Me Badd - I Wanna Sex You Up
2 Crystal Waters - Gypsy Woman (She’s Homeless)
3 Paula Abdul - Rush Rush
4 R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People
5 Zucchero & Paul Young - Senza Una Donna
6 Roxette - Fading Like A Flower (Every Time You Leave)
7 Amy Grant - Baby Baby
8 KLF - Last Train To Trancentral
9 Pet Shop Boys - Jealousy
10 Extreme - More Than Words
11 Rod Stewart - The Motown Song
12 Seal - Future Love Paradise
13 Lenny Kravitz - It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over
14 Cher - The Shoop Shoop Song
15 De La Soul - Ring, Ring, Ring
16 Simple Minds - See The Lights
17 Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I do It For You
18 Technotronic Featuring Reggie - Move That Body
19 Kenny Thomas - Thinking About Your Love
20 Ziggy Marley & Melody Makers - Kozmik

This one`s from 1990 Ocober or November

1 Depeche Mode - World In My Eyes
2 New Kids On The Block - Tonight
3 The Cure - Close To Me '90
4 Poison - Something To Believe In
5 Jon Bon Jovi - Miracle
6 Robert Palmer & UB40 - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
7 A-Ha - Crying In The Rain
8 Prince - New Power Generation
9 Janet Jackson - Love Will Never Do (Without You)
10 U2 - All I Want Is You
11 Guns 'N' Roses - Patience
12 Pet Shop Boys - So Hard
13 M.C. Hammer - Have You Seen Her?
14 Madonna - Vogue
15 Faith No More - Falling To Pieces
16 Aerosmith - The Other Side
17 Iron Maiden - Holy Smoke
18 Whitney Houston - I'm Your Baby Tonight
19 Sinead O'Connor - Three Babies
20 Happy Mondays - Kinky Afro

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 19th February 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave

QUOTE(Jamse @ Jan 8 2008, 08:07 AM) *
From the way I see it, the chart is primarily based on the single sales of most european countries and is an approximation of these charts arranged in some accurate manner. Airplay also plays a part in the arrangement...but the singles have the leading role.

Out of question. If you check the sales charts of the European countries you see total different entries.

I think the chart is based on the TV plays on MTV + airplay + some weird pointing system.

+Quote this post
----
post 19th February 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,128

Thanks Ben

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 19th February 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

anyone have the MTV Europe playlist archive?

+Quote this post
bobiloko
post 21st February 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Mycket bra, Jamse! Where did you find these older charts? It pains me to look at the one from July 1991 as "I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams is only at number 17... I had always hoped that it was the song to spend the most weeks at number 1 in the chart ever!
By the way, I do think they take into consideration the singles charts of the different European countries. But there seems to be a subjective element - they decide not to include some big hits while they include some songs that aren't successful anywhere... On the other hand, that makes the chart more unpredictable!

+Quote this post
Jamse
post 22nd February 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(bobiloko @ Feb 21 2008, 02:09 PM) *
Mycket bra, Jamse! Where did you find these older charts? It pains me to look at the one from July 1991 as "I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams is only at number 17... I had always hoped that it was the song to spend the most weeks at number 1 in the chart ever!
By the way, I do think they take into consideration the singles charts of the different European countries. But there seems to be a subjective element - they decide not to include some big hits while they include some songs that aren't successful anywhere... On the other hand, that makes the chart more unpredictable!

I googled them up somehow successfully. I was a little suprised myself. The provider seems to have an on & off interest in the chart. I think it`s our own tsetsi81 whos brought awareness in other forums on the search for older european top 20 charts.

For what I remember, Bryan Adam`s hit "Everything i do" topped the chart for approx six-seven weeks but the maximum number of weeks Bryan could have possibly reigned the chart is 10 weeks with the current available data. He would have to climb from 17 to 1 for this which isnīt entirely unbelievable. The artists with the record of number of weeks at number 1 would still be shakira "whenever wherever" in 2002 and Coolio "Gangstas paradise" in 1995/6; twelve weeks each. The only artist that could potentially challenge these anytime from 1990 to now is Sinead O`connor "nothing compares 2 u" in 1990 when she topped the chart for several weeks but the question is how many?

I know there are people out there with these older charts but unaware of their demand here. Hopefully sometime soon they`ll land in forums like these and supply the missing data.

+Quote this post
tsetsi81
post 22nd February 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

I was also trying to find old charts , but my attempts failed.I started a topic for European top 20 in 3 different bulgarian forums , but i stopped two of them soon after because of lack of interest.Now only at www.radiovitosha.com (bulgarian radiostation with high rating) every week i publish the chart.Other good chart forum is www.ukmix.org.I will be happy if soon we can find more old charts somewhere thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 22nd February 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave

I'm trying to find my old books, if I find them, I will post up all the old charts I can find! wink.gif

But now I don't have time to search for them sad.gif

+Quote this post
Jamse
post 5th May 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Just stopped by to put some life into this thread, a thread were we are on the search for older European Top 20 charts, charts that are older than the date 1991 August 31...if you know anything dont hesitate to contribute...every little piece of data is welcome!

+Quote this post
Jamse
post 28th July 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

When are the older European Top 20 charts coming Ben?

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 31st July 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave

QUOTE(Jamse @ Jul 28 2008, 09:44 AM) *
When are the older European Top 20 charts coming Ben?

I don't know, I had no time to find my older books, sorry. It can be that they are missing, they are ages old. Sorry guys sad.gif

+Quote this post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 06:49 PM