BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Guy Chambers talks Your Disco Needs You
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Nov 8 2019, 01:48 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Of course, Chambers and Williams have co-written a big disco song before: Kylie’s Your Disco Needs You, a gloriously camp, Village People-inspired romp from her Light Years album. It became a highlight of her triumphant Brighton Pride set this summer. Chambers says he’s well aware the song has become a fan favourite and a modern queer classic; and he loved it when Kylie sent him a a video of her singing it with Katharine Jenkins at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago. “I’m very proud of the song,” he says. “The only thing that’s laced with some mixed emotions is that Miles Leonard, who was the head of Kylie’s label at the time, stopped it being a single in the UK. That was painful, it really was, because it should have been a single in the UK and it would have done really well.”

Is it true the single’s UK release was vetoed because it was considered “too gay” and “too camp”? “Absolutely – that’s what we were told, yeah,” Chambers replies. “As if that’s ever been something to stop a song from being commercial. There’s always been room for camp songs – it’s something we need; that part of our culture is very important.”

In a way, I suggest, the fact that Your Disco Needs You never became a single only adds to its cult and queer appeal: walk into any bar on Manchester’s Canal Street or London’s Old Compton Street and you’re almost guaranteed to hear it. “That’s made my day to hear that,” he says, sounding genuinely touched. “I’m very grateful to the fans for keeping the song alive over all these years, it’s wonderful.” He also teases the possibility of Robbie Williams recording his own version of Your Disco Needs You, saying: “I think he will do that at some point, and I think he should.”

Read the full interview here: https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/originals/128522...reveals-writer/

Kylie fans have all heard about how 'Your Disco Needs You' wasn't a single due to being "too camp" but it was always a bit of rumour. Quite shocking to hear and also quite confusing - 1) as Guy says, why should being camp stop a song from being successful and 2) Light Years was the wrong era to be complaining about "too camp"! tongue.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
tommie
post Nov 8 2019, 02:04 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
Was it ever a rumour though?

That was literally the reason why they choose Please Stay over Your Disco Needs You - the former felt more like something that would fit in on the radio at the time and I get it. Your Disco Needs You was probably seen as a risk at point; it could become a smash but also could turn the radio stations away from Kylie, who had finally gotten her momentum back. Please Stay likely was the sensible choice.

Today of course they'd just throw Your Disco Needs You out there as a promo single which is what it's essentially became anyway.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Nov 8 2019, 02:23 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I don't think I've ever seen a quote from someone involved confirming it was true. It was one of those things that all Kylie fans knew about and has been repeated so many times that it's just assumed to be true, but never backed up by fact.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 8 2019, 11:16 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
While it was always a rumour I felt it was always true and this confirmd it, would such a decision be allowed now on that basis? Most definitely not.

+Quote this post
SmileyKylie
post Nov 8 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,515
Robbie and Kylie could do a whole album lol

Disco Symphony (still not heard yet)
Your Disco Needs You
Kids

lol

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 8 2019, 12:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
It seems totally ludicrous now. I feel like even though it's not a single, 'Your Disco Needs You' is waaaaay more remembered and known than 'Please Stay'.

Who's to say if it would have performed better at the time though? Busy Christmas market and the album was already out.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Nov 8 2019, 01:46 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
I was previously under the impression Your Disco Needs You was originally planned for the lead singles and was shelved for the reasons mentioned in the interview.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 8 2019, 11:37 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
It was def rumored as I clearly remember reading in the sun that her comeback single was titled your disco needs you.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Nov 11 2019, 02:29 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
It has worked out positively how the choices went.
Spinning Around really did what was needed and relaunched Kylie to the world, and Your Disco Needs You went on to be a hit in its own way and a hugely loved by the fans.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 11 2019, 11:30 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
YDNY has done very well and much better than some of full singles, it's also one of her most popular concert songs.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Nov 12 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Your Disco Needs You is viewed as a single from many fans or it is held in the same regard.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:01 PM