BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Janet Jackson - Singles Rate [RESULTS], FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 9!!!
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 7th November 2023, 02:03 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Janet Jackson - Singles Rate
The Results

A big THANK YOU to the 15 voters who took part. 62 songs in the running with many, many iconic hits, but who will come out on top & what will fall by the way side, stay tuned to find out?

A reminder of what's to come

Young Love
Come Give Your Love to Me
Say You Do

Don't Stand Another Chance
Two To The Power of Love (ft Cliff Richard)
Fast Girls

What Have You Done For Me Lately
Nasty
When I Think Of You
Control
Let's Wait Awhile
The Pleasure Principle
Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun)

Miss You Much
Rhythm Nation
Escapade
Alright
Come Back to Me
Black Cat
Love Will Never Do (Without You)
State of the World

The Best Things In Life Are Free (ft Luther Vandross)

That's The Way Love Goes
If
Again
Because of Love
Any Time Any Place
Throb
You Want This (ft MC Lyte)
Whoops Now
What'll I'll Do

Scream (ft Michael Jackson)
Runaway
Twenty Foreplay

Got 'til It's Gone (Q-Tip & Joni Mitchell)
Together Again
I Get Lonely (ft Blackstreet)
Go Deep
You
Every Time

Luv Me Luv Me (ft Shaggy)
What's It Gonna Be (ft Busta Rhymes)
Girlfriend/Boyfriend (ft Blackstreet)

Doesn't Really Matter
All For You
Someone To Call My Lover
Son of a Gun (ft Carly Simon & Missy Elliot)

Feel It Boy (ft Beenie Man)

Just A Little While
I Want You
All Nite (Don't Stop)

Call On Me (ft Nelly)
So Excited (ft Khia)

Feedback
Rock With U

Make Me
Nothing

No Sleeep
Unbreakable
BURNITUP (ft Missy Elliot)
Dammn Baby

Made For Now (ft Daddy Yankee)

This post has been edited by Nina West: 13th December 2023, 03:13 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 7th November 2023, 10:55 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Ready for the first set of results

The first post will be 2

Then 60-50 will be in 5's

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 7th November 2023, 11:21 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

GET CLIFF OUT

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 7th November 2023, 11:22 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(dandy* @ Nov 7 2023, 11:21 PM) *
GET CLIFF OUT

This!

Loved your comments in the voting round by the way!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 7th November 2023, 11:42 PM
Post #5
Group icon

No one that stands more responsibility

62. Two To The Power of Love (ft Cliff Richard) | 1.458 Highest Scores: 3.5/3: (Nina West, Sour Candy, Liam.k), Lowest Scores: -1/0: (Bjork, dandy, blacksquare)
61. Fast Girls | 3.181 Highest Scores: 5: (Liam), Lowest Scores: 0: (dandy)

Right then kicking off this countdown with an abysmal 1.4 average is Two To The Power of Love, released in September 1984 as the 2nd single from Janet's 2nd studio album Dream Street & features British singer Cliff Richard. This was Janet's first single to chart in the UK by peaking at a paltry #83. This is probably the worst song Janet has ever recorded and as for Cliff yeah this is like a majority of his output which is awful. Saccharine, cringey, dated, and totally forgettable (like pretty much all of her pre-Control stuff). Jnate performed this song with Jesse Borrego in season 4 of the TV series 'Fame' as shown in the video above.

At #61 is another early Janet number Fast Girls with a slightly better (but still poor) average of 3.1. Released in October 1984 as the 3rd and final single from Janet's 2nd studio album Dream Street, it only managed a #40 peak on the R&B charts and was written and produced by fellow A&M artist Jesse Johnson. The song later appeared as a B-side to both of her US singles "Control" & "The Pleasure Principle". Jesse Johnson would also use the song as B-side to his own single "I Want My Girl" in 1985. While this is better than the previous track, it's still not very good and apart from the funky catchy grooves it doesn't go anywhere interesting and Janet's vocals feels very buried in the dated production. The title track 'Dream Street' was set to be released as the 4th single, but due to low album sales, the producers cancelled these plans, but thanks to the TV show 'Fame' it did get a music video.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 8th November 2023, 07:45 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

These two deserved to rank the bottom. Looking forward to rest of the results!

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 8th November 2023, 10:07 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Janet + Cliff has to be one of the most bizarre ideas of a collaboration ever
always wondered how did it happened and how come everyone thought it was. good idea

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 8th November 2023, 11:15 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

I didn't rate but I never knew Janet and Cliff even did a song together lol! Not surprised to see it fall out in the first lot considering though!

Hopefully 'Doesn't Really Matter' can do well as I bought the CD for that!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 8th November 2023, 02:20 PM
Post #9
Group icon

Ready for another set of results

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 8th November 2023, 04:18 PM
Post #10
Group icon

Nothing means more than the truth

60. Don't Stand Another Chance | 4.0 Highest Scores: 5: (Nina West, Bjork, Sour Candy, Math), Lowest Scores: 2: (dandy)
59. Feel It Boy (ft Beenie Man) | 4.107 Highest Scores: 8: (Sour Candy), Lowest Scores: 0: (Jessie Where)
58. Nothing | 4.192 Highest Scores: 8: (Sour Candy), Lowest Scores: 1: (popchartfreak)
57. Luv Me, Luv Me (ft Shaggy) | 4.214 Highest Scores: 8: (popchartfreak), Lowest Scores: 0: (Bjork)
56. Say You Do | 4.545 Highest Scores: 6.5: (dandy, Math), Lowest Scores: 3.5/3: (Sour Candy, Davidson)

#60 is Don't Stand Another Chance, released in August 1984 as the lead single from Janet's 2nd album Dream Street and written by Marlon Jackson and John Barnes. Marlon also produced it, and provided backing vocals along with his brothers Michael, Jermaine, Tito, and Jackie. Despite receiving generally positive reviews the failed to reach the US Top 100, instead peaking at #101 on the Bubbling Under charts. This a somewhat pleasant little 80's new wave bop, but a very subpar lead single and feels like a cheap knock off from her brother Michael's 'Off The Wall' album. All 3 of her 'Dream Street' singles ranked in the bottom 3, not surprising.

#59 is Feel It Boy by Jamaican dancehall musician Beenie Man featuring Janet Jackson. Released in July 2002 as the lead single from his 15th studio album Tropical Storm and written by Beenie Man himself and Pharrell Williams, Chad Hugo, and Clancy Eccles and was produced by the Neptunes. The song did well upon release by reaching #9 on the UK singles chart, becoming her 17th and final top 10 hit there and setting the record for having the most top 10 hits without reaching #1. Elsewhere it hit top 40 peaks in 8 other countries including in the USA where it reached a #28 peak. In 2004 Janet expressed her regret for the duet due to Beenie Man's association with homophobia. Didn't realize this was so hated on here, I don't find it that bad. A cute little number with the fusion of Reggae and Hip-hop beats helps make this quite catchy and the song really comes alive with Janet's sultry vocals.

#58 is Nothing, released in March 2010 as a soundtrack single from the film Why Did I Get Married Too? which starred Janet herself and was later included on her Icon: Number Ones compilation album. The song was written by Janet, Johntá Austin, Bryan-Michael Cox and Jermaine Dupri and produced by Jackson, Cox, and Dupri. Originally titled 'Trust in Me' the song was written the different character's personas and emotions in the film. The song wasn't officially released to radio formats for airplay, but did manage to achieve moderate rotation on adult contemporary and jazz formats. This would be Janet's final release for 5 years. Not much to say about this really its a cute heartfelt ballad with a touching sentiment, but doesn't really go anywhere and feels way too understated to stand out amongst the crowd.

#57 is Luv Me, Luv Me by Jamaican-American singer Shaggy. This was first released in July 1998 as a collaboration with Janet Jackson for the soundtrack to the film How Stella Got Her Groove Back. The song originally sampled "Impeach The President" by The Honey Drippers,[1] and the chorus of Rose Royce's "Ooh Boy" sung by Jackson. Upon release the song managed to peak at #76 on the US Billboard charts due to airplay alone without a commercial release. The song was re-recorded in 2000 with Samantha Cole's vocals after Janet's label withheld the song from being included on Shaggy's next album and would later become a worldwide success when it was released in 2001. Shaggy later described working with Janet as "the worst experience of his musical career", and didn't want to co-operate. This was a fun little duet and probably would have been a bigger hit if it got properly released back in 1998 with Janet's vocals, even if it does sound a little unfinished with Janet not putting much effort into the song (due to her not wanting to be there) and she's just going through the motions. The song did have hit potential because when it got re-released in 2001 it did well even with Samantha Cole.

#56 is Say You Do, released in April 1983 as the 3rd single from Janet's self-titled debut album Janet Jackson and written by René Moore & Angela Winbush. While the album's first 2 singles managed to make minor impacts on the US Top 100, this failed to make hardly any impact at all by missing the top 100 altogether, but did fare better on the R&B and Dance charts by peaking at #15 & #11 respectively. This song didn't need to be nearly 7 minutes long, there must have been an edited version out there somewhere for its single release as its such a slog to get through. Other than that its not that bad there's some nice disco house beats going on and Janet's vocals sound decent.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 19th November 2023, 04:20 PM

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 8th November 2023, 04:33 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Ohhh Beenie Man might be a homophobe but Feel It Boy bops

This post has been edited by Sour Candy: 8th November 2023, 04:33 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 9th November 2023, 05:11 PM
Post #12
Group icon

I wish me being happy didn't make you so sad
L.U.T.F.A

55. Come Give Your Love To Me | 4.954 Highest Scores: 6: (Liam), Lowest Scores: 4/4.5: : (Sour Candy, Pandamic Tension, Liam.k)
54. Call On Me (ft Nelly) | 4.966 Highest Scores: 8: (Sour Candy, Cremey), Lowest Scores: -1: (Jessie Where)
53. Young Love | 5.0 Highest Scores: 6.5/6: (Bjork, Liam, Math), Lowest Scores: 4/4.5: (Sour Candy, dandy, Davidson, Cremey, blacksquare)
52. Dammn Baby | 5.033 Highest Scores: 9: (Sour Candy), Lowest Scores: 1: (popchartfreak)
51. Unbreakable | 5.133 Highest Scores: 9: (Sour Candy), Lowest Scores: 1: (popchartfreak)

#55 is Come Give Your Love To Me, released in January 1983 as the 2nd single from Janet's self-titled debut album Janet Jackson. The song was written by Glen Barbee and Charmaine Sylvers and peaked at #58 on the US Billboard Hot 100, making this her highest charting 'pre-Control' single, as well as reaching #17 on the R&B charts and hit top 30 on the Dance charts. The song was later included as a B-side to her 1986 hit 'When I Think of You' and other than a few TV appearances at the time of its release, Janet has never performed this song live on any of her tours. Despite an interesting intro that builds with the electronic guitars this song fails to go anywhere interesting and stays on the same level throughout its 5 minute runtime. Kinda shocked that this was the highest charting single from Janet's pre-teen era.

#54 is Call On Me, released in June 2006 as the lead single from Janet's 9th studio album 20 Y.O and features guest vocals from American rapper Nelly. The song was written by Jermaine Dupri, Johnta Austin, James Phillips, Cornell Haynes Jr., James Harris III and Terry Lewis, and produced by Dupri, Phillips, Jam and Lewis, Upon release it received mixed reviews from music critics and became a moderate commercial success by reaching a #25 peak on the US Hot 100 and managed to hit top 20 peaks in Ireland, Italy, New Zealand & UK becoming her 33rd and final top 20 hit in the latter country. The music video was directed by Hype Williams with a production cost of $1 million dollars, making it one of the most expensive music videos of all-time. Even without the blacklisting I doubt this lackluster comeback single would have fared any better as it's far too restrained and repetitive to really stand out amongst the crowd and the lack of chemistry between both Janet and Nelly doesn't help matters either. This felt like a shameless re-creation of Nelly's hit 'Dilemma' only without any of the magic.

#53 is Janet's debut and the last of her 'pre-Control' era to feature here - Young Love, released in July 1982 as the lead single from Janet's self-titled debut album Janet Jackson and was written and produced by René Moore, Angela Winbush, with additional production by Bobby Watson. Prior to her rise in fame Janet actually had no interest in becoming a singer and instead wanted to be a horse racing jockey or an entertainment lawyer. Despite this she was motivated by her father to pursue a career in entertainment and started working on her debut album after starring in several TV shows. Upon release the song received minor attention on the singles chart and managed to peak at #64 on the US Hot 100, and was more successful on the R&B charts with a #6 peak, as well as managing a top 20 peak in New Zealand in 1983. I'm honestly surprised that any of her early stuff didn't all drop in the last batch of results. This is a cute post-disco pop track that despite lacking in personality it manages to be quite joyous and cathcy. Definitely the best track from Janet's very early days.

#52 is Dammn Baby, released in May 2016 as the final single from Janet's 11th studio album Unbreakable and was co-written and produced by Janet and her long-time collaborators Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, with additional songwriting and production contributions by Dem Jointz. The song didn't chart on the US Billboard charts, but did manage a top 10 peak on the R&B charts, becoming the album's 3rd top 10 hit on that chart. This track was Janet's first collaboration with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis in nearly a decade and was the final song completed during the album's recording sessions in 2015. On the same day this single was released Janet announced her pregnancy. This is a solid offering from Janet's fantastic comeback album with its slick synths, funky beats and solid R&B dance grooves and plus loved the shout out to her 'I Get Lonely' single, but wasn't impressed with the heavy vocoder effects which made the song feel very cluttered at times, but still a great track overall.

#51 is another Unbreakable era single to drop - Unbreakable, released in September 2015 as the 2nd single from Janet's 11th studio album of the same name. It was co-written and produced by Jackson and her long-time collaborators Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, with additional writing by Thomas Lumpkins and additional production by Tommy McClendon and Dem Jointz. Lyrically the song is a dedication to her fans. Upon release the song was serviced to urban contemporary radio in September 2015 and to urban adult contemporary radio in October of that same year. While I do enjoy the sentiment of this souful midtempo pop song, I don't think it made for a great 2nd single and lacked the distinct melodies and edge that some of her previous singles had, but its still a decent number and may have worked better as a final single like 5th or 6th to cap off the era instead of kick-starting it.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 11th November 2023, 04:48 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 10th November 2023, 03:50 PM
Post #13
Group icon

In the next selection the results will be in 4's

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 11th November 2023, 05:49 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I love Unbreakable (the album) so not surprised I gave the highest scores laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 11th November 2023, 10:55 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

no surprises here bar Luv Me Luv Me which was on heavy airplay on one of my Florida holidays, and was rather a fun upbeat track. I always felt miffed it wasnt a UK hit. Loads of good stuff was US radio-only at that time, very annoying policies to make you buy albums.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 11th November 2023, 11:25 AM
Post #16
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Apologies that I couldn't find the time to listen to everything in time for the deadline, rooting for 'Rhythm Nation' from the sidelines

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 11th November 2023, 04:44 PM
Post #17
Group icon

Kiss and caress me, make love to my mind

50. Girlfriend/Boyfriend (ft Blackstreet) | 5.142 Highest Scores: 7: (Sour Candy, blacksquare), Lowest Scores: 2: (Liam.k)
49. Twenty Foreplay | 5.433 Highest Scores: 7: (popchartfreak, Sour Candy, vibe), Lowest Scores: 3: (dandy)
48. So Excited (ft Khia) | 5.566 Highest Scores: 8.5/8: (Sour Candy, Math), Lowest Scores: 2: (popchartfreak)
47. What's It Gonna Be (ft Busta Rhymes) | 5.75 Highest Scores: 9: (Sour Candy), Lowest Scores: 2: (popchartfreak)

#50 is Girlfriend/Boyfriend by American R&B group Blackstreet and features Janet Jackson as well as rappers Ja Rule & Eve. Released in May 1999 as the 2nd and final single from Blackstreet's 3rd studio album Finally and was co-written by the group themselves and Cynthia "Lil' Mo" Loving. Originally the collaboration was meant to feature the Spice Girls, but for whatever reasons their version of the song was never released, and the song was re-recorded to feature Janet instead. Upon release the song was a minor hit in the USA by reaching a #47 peak and achieved moderate success elsewhere with top 20 peaks in UK, New Zealand, Canada & Australia. The song is an okay slice of 90's R&B with funky hip-hop grooves, but ultimately very forgettable and doesn't quite stand out amongst Janet's far better collaborations.

#49 is Twenty Foreplay, released in December 1995 as the 3rd and final single from Janet's first Greatest Hits album, Design of a Decade: 1986-1996. Written and produced by Janet & Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis as one of the two new songs on the album. The song is a play on the word "foreplay" and "24 hours a day", and has an unusual musical structure, containing "over-the-top" lyrics which find Jackson singing to a boyfriend. Upon release the song was a moderate success by reaching top 40 peaks Australia, Canada, UK and New Zealand. In the USA it was unable to enter the charts due to a lack of a commercial release. The blending of 24 hours with foreplay reminds us all of how brilliant Janet had become at delivering sensuous and smouldering mid-tempo r&b gems. However this was one single too many from her 'Greatest Hits' album and wasn't really needed as a single release.

#48 is So Excited, released in August 2006 as the 2nd and final single from Janet's 9th studio album 20 Y.O. and features guest vocals from rapper Khia. The song samples Herbie Hancock's 1983 song 'Rockit' and was written by Janet, Jermaine Dupri, James Phillips, Johntá Austin, James Harris III, Terry Lewis and Khia Chambers, with production by Dupri, LRoc, Jam, Lewis and Janet. Upon release the song gained mixed reviews and performed poorly on the US Billboard charts, peaking at #90 and due to the other planned singles 'With U' & 'Enjoy' were both scrapped and promotion for the album ended. After Khia was given a diminished role in the music video, she went to her MySpace account to say she was not pleased with her scenes being displayed in a TV during the music video, and criticized Jackson. This is definitely the best cut from her lacklustre '20 Y.O.' album with its clever use of the pulsating Herbie Hancock sample and the choppy synths adds a nice touch to this fun R&B jam, but Khia's rap while good felt very choppy and severly edited. The song is okay but Janet is capable of far better and like the album itself it lacks any progression.

#47 is What's It Gonna Be by American rapper and featuring Janet Jackson. Released in March 1999 as the 4th and final single from Busta Rhyme's 3rd studio album Extinction Level Event: The Final World Front and was written by Rhymes, Antoinette Roberson and its producer Darrell "Delite" Allamby. Upon release the song was a commercial and critical success, reaching a #3 peak on the US Billboard charts and hitting top 10 peaks in UK & New Zealand. The song was also nominated for a Grammy award for 'Best Rap Performance by a duo or group' and the music video, directed by Rhymes & Hype Williams, was critically lauded, and received four MTV Video Music Awards nominations at the 1999 MTV Video Music Awards. It is one of the most expensive music videos ever made. This is a solid offering from both artists with its slick futuristic sounds with Busta's cool rap flows and Janet's sensual vocals make for a great time and gives this a very nostalgic feel that really takes you back to the late 90's.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 11th November 2023, 04:49 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th November 2023, 06:20 PM
Post #18
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I forgot to vote sad.gif

Feel It Boy is a bop, I would have it a fair bit higher! (Of course I think Beenie Man is detestable).

So Excited! cheeseblock.png I’m not surprised to see it low down but it’s a guilty pleasure for me, I love it. Janet’s filthier songs are always experiences! Keeping with 20 Y.O era, Call on Me… I wasn’t totally into it at the time admittedly. I like it more nowadays than I did back then though, it’s a sweet/pleasant song. Personally I disagree with it being a “shameless recreation of Dilemma”. Honestly it’s never reminded me of Dilemma.

I’m sad to see those Unbreakable singles so low down!

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 11th November 2023, 06:51 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

What's It Gonna Be heart.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 12th November 2023, 10:12 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Nov 7 2023, 11:22 PM) *
Loved your comments in the voting round by the way!

Oh thank you... I wasn't particularly expecting anyone to really read them but it just made it more fun for me to rate that way...

As for the results, nothing feels hugely out of place so far. My main grumble is probably that her mauling of Carly Simon's You're So Vain hasn't been kicked out yet... but I'll be okay with that as long as it doesn't stay in contention for much longer

+Quote this post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th April 2024, 04:50 PM