BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Most recent albums are shit and the album chart is a farce, Just constantly underwhelmed
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
mick745
post 9th October 2020, 08:34 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 17,441

I have been thinking about this and wondered whether it was time to split the album charts up into 'studio' albums with compilation albums from artists having their own chart?

I appreciate the difficulty in establishing exactly what is a 'studio' album but it would surely be possible to come up with a set of appropriate rules.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 9th October 2020, 09:35 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

no need for that, what they need to do is count album streams properly
basically if you stream from a playlist, that's good for the singles chart but not for the album charts, this way Mabel's album gets 0 streams and is not even in the top 200 album chart.

then for compilations, only count when you are actually streaming the compilation. makes no sense that if I stream Elton John - Sacrifice from his Sleeping with the Past album, I'm also giving a stream to his greatest hits Diamonds, that's nonsense. If counted properly, Diamonds would not be top 40.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 9th October 2020, 11:09 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

The thing is that by making that distinction, you're inviting more unwanted issues as the whole thing comes down to the manner in which people commonly consume music
QUOTE(Rush @ Aug 27 2020, 06:17 PM) *
Incidentally, this is why I feel the idea of assigning streams to which album they were played from wouldn't work - because what percentage of plays come from someone (a) searching the track and (b) deciding which version to play (out of single/album/compilation/etc versions that are all identical audio-wise) for any reason other than which comes up first? I do but I'm probably in the 0.01%. It would put a lot of stock into how Spotify's search algorithm orders results, but even more so, into meaningless differences like whether a track on a playlist (personal or curated) is the single or album version, or whether an artist's singles get deleted or not. (Theoretically, if they were somehow that desperate, Elton/Queen/etc could even delete the album versions of their hits so all plays would be fed to the compilations - it's rare but there are occasionally cases like that; for example, although the Stereophonics album that includes 'Dakota' is on Spotify here, the song is only uploaded as part of their GH, so if I click play on it from the album, it gets it from the GH.)

If the OCC actually did enact this, maybe people would be happy because it thins the spread of all these Greatest Hits sets, but I'm almost certain there would be a new ring of complaints about the noted exceptions that seem to arbitrarily skirt this culling. You already get this on the ARIA Charts which enacted an arbitrary internal decision about which specific albums a lot of songs count to, and indeed, many Greatest Hits sets did fall away, but the ones that escaped this initial cull have thus been overcharting every week since, abundantly useless unless your interests are in padding the stats for a throwaway Maroon 5 compilation. I agree that the current system isn't great, but more consideration should go into the realistic aftermath of alterations and whether the ends are justifiable.

At the end of the day, there just isn't enough interest in 100 different freshly released albums for them to ever overtake the glut of established albums (not just compilations either: Rumours, What's The Story & AM have been on the chart every week since streaming took hold of the album chart). Short of a dramatic format change, or public interest development, enforcing arbitrary rules to keep albums from taking up permanent residence is just fighting a losing battle, just like it is on the singles chart.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:16 AM