BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Johnkm Did 2012, DONE
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Qween
post 1st December 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Gosh, the year hath just WHIZZED past and now with just one month left to go I shall be entertaining/boring you rigid with various LISTS of my favourite things of 2012:

1) Top 100 Songs
2) Top 40 Albums
3) Top 20 TV shows
4) Top 10 Movies
5) My 5 most hated artists/songs/things of the year

(not in that order)

Expect hyperbole TO THE MAX and numerous examples of questionable taste.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Right then, let's get this show on the road. First up: MOVIES

#10 - Dark Shadows

I went into Dark Shadows not really knowing what to expect, I had no idea about the source material but Tim Burton is usually fairly reliable in creating a decent film, I even really liked his Alice In Wonderland. Anyway, I ended up loving it, obviously. It was very funny, not just the 'awkward time jump' moments, which in fact ended up being rendered somewhat unfunny due to their overuse in the early parts of the film. The chemistry between Johnny and Eva was brilliant and really brought to life that f***ed up relationship between them, had it had a 15 certificate I'm quite sure Eva would have been prancing round naked for half the film, but alas she had to keep clothed - what a challenge it must have been for her. Of course the ever fabulous MICHELLE PFEIFFER was on hand to bring the middle aged fabulous to the film, which did no harm in aiding my love for it. The story itself was fairly obvious, both in execution and outcome and thus rendered the film not quite as enjoyable as it could have been.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#09 - The Pirates

Another perennial favourite of mine is AARDMAN, having created such brilliant films as Chicken Run and The Curse Of The Were Rabbit, I had high hopes for The Pirates. It wasn't QUITE as good as either of those, but then they rank among my favourite films EVER. The biggest stumbling block for me was the portrayal of Darwin as a cowardly, devious little twat who would do whatever needed to get into the Queen's rather large undergarments. I don't really give a flying hoot about Darwin being portrayed badly, just that it wasn't very FUNNY and was the heaviest recurring gag of the film. However, other gags worked much much better, such as Queen Victoria being an evil bitch in a mechanical FAT SUIT. Basically, it was an enjoyable jaunt, but not quite as good as it could have been.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#08 - The Muppets

The Muppets are yet another favourite of mine, Treasure Island being the undoubted peak of their film making, so I went into this just hoping to see them transfer it well to a live action setting in 2012, and they did. The story itself was rather run of the mill and served mainly as an excuse for them to chuck in as many Muppets as they could and assorted cheap jokes about them trying to get BACK into business, however it had a lot of HEART and at the centre of it with Walter and his QUEST to be a Muppet being fulfilled when he, somewhat inevitably, saves the day, but not before he has a chance to sing a fabulous song (Man or Muppet).

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#07 - The Hunger Games

I have to admit that I really don't think Jennifer was QUITE as good as I had expected her to be having read reviews before watching the film, but she did a solid job. I did enjoy seeing UTTERLY RUBBISH Paula Malcomson popping up as her emotionally unstable mother, a role she was born to play given her perpetual look of near insanity. The story is relatively obvious once things get going, but it looks tremendous and you can't help but get caught up in it all, even despite all the while being aware that they will succeed, no matter what the obstacle is put in front of them. It's obviously set up to be the first of a quadrilogy and it did a good job of keeping my interest for the next film, I just want more President Snow, Donald Sutherland just does not get enough work as far as I'm concerned.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#06 - Skyfall

Now, I've made it known to anyone and everyone that I think the Bond 'reboot' hasn't been very successful, at least not from the perspective of my own personal enjoyment, and even despite loving this film I'm still very much of the mind that Craig is NOT a very good Bond. The film beyond that is near perfect though. The incorporation of many classic Bond themes went a long way to assuaging my doubts as to whether I would enjoy it but also proved just how sorely missed they were from the 2 previous films. The central story arc of Silva being out to get M because she burned him all those years ago isn't the most compelling thing, after all she did the same to Bond in Die Another Day in another lifetime. It's the way that plays out that makes the film so good, gone is the normal Bond action upon action aspect of the film and it turns into a much more personal FIGHT for her life, a fight she ultimately loses, but not without putting up a brave fight and a terribly emotional and amazingly acted by Judi, death scene in Bond's arms. The return of Moneypenny was a lovely touch, it brought a tear to my eye when he walked into the office and rebirthed the classic banter between the 2 only to walk through the padded door into the new M's office, back to the classic old style of pre-Goldeneye Bond.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#05 - The Iron Lady

You just KNOW you're onto a winner when you have the ultimate QoL Merly playing Maggie, whatever personal beliefs one might have regarding Thatcher, Merly's performance was incredible and a textbook example of how to inhabit a role. I must admit I WANTED to love this more than I did, the overall film fell a little flat due to the timejumping between old Maggie and then Maggie. It essentially served as a series of flashbacks to Merly as Maggie remembering the good old days and how she was essentially the ultimate HBIC, downplaying anybody with a mere lashing of her tongue. Now, that's obviously rather fanciful, but it totally won me over.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#04 - Prometheus

Now, another film which I had incredibly high expectations for, however this barely disappointed at all. Firstly, the soundtrack was fantastic and really added to the action with appropriate cues for almost every emotional response in the characters. Secondly, it looked utterly amazing, that intro scene leading up to the Engineer killing himself in what turned out to be proto Earth was just jaw droppingly stunning. The actual content of the film was much as expected, showing the journey of the team to the moon where the Engineer's wanted them to go, only it turned out they were breeding aliens (or at least evolutionary precursors of aliens) in an effort to destroy their creation, but WHY? A question waiting to be answered in the sequel. The only aspect that that lets it down for me and ultimately causes it to fall short of my top 3 is the ridiculous and totally pointless story of the old man trying to meet the creators, now fair enough that makes some vague sense, but BY f*** did it seem like a hideously tacked on addition to the script and WHY did they get a 40 year old to play him (badly) when they could have just gotten an 80 year old.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#03 - The Amazing Spider-Man

This film provided me with so much joy when I saw it had given work to Embeth Davidtz, oh how I love seeing her randomly pop up in stuff. I was never much a fan of the original trilogy of films, I HATE Dunst and I HATE Maguire which doesn't really bode well for enjoyment of the films. It helps that I find Andrew Garfield to be one of the hottest actors about right now (THAT HAIR wub.gif), but beyond that he's a much better actor and indeed more importantly the story of the film was much better. It was quite emotional in places, as one would expect, helped along by the James Horner soundtrack which sounded like an amalgam of every other James Horner soundtrack (seriously the bit with him crane surfing was LIFTED WHOLESALE from Titanic) but as per usual it does the trick. It easily sets itself up for a sequel, especially with the final little scene with Peter and Gwen going against the promise he made to her father as he was dieing (WE ALL KNEW HE WOULD) but with the ominous feeling that it ain't going to work out for them in the long run.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#02 - ParaNorman

Unlike basically every other film in this list, I had no expectations for this, it looked like it might be good but that was it. As it turned out, it was FANTASTIC. Very funny, very charming, very touching and just a near perfect film. I can't remember the last time I belly laughed so hard in the cinema as I did at the point when Neil was in the car with the zombie arm attacking him, but it was actually him attacking himself, with all ensuing chaos around him. Also Norman's ability to talk to the zombies was played very well, only being revealed after numerous curious glances from passers by. Uncle Penderghast's death also provided some amusement. The actual conclusion of the film provided the touching aspect to proceeding, with a young girl persecuted for being different. It sounds a little bit like OH WE'RE ANTI DISCRIMINATION, and it is, but it's done in such a way as to be engaging as well as providing a message. In the end, everything works out, as it always does and Norman is now a hero, rather than an outcast.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th December 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#01 - The Avengers Assemble

Now, I am NOT a superhero movie fan, I've enjoyed a few but more often than not I've found them to be overlong, boring and most importantly a bit shit. However, this was just brilliant. I know, nor care to know, much about the backstory because the movie really gives us all we need to know. The coming together and butting heads of the various members of the team is the source of much amusement and there are a few nice nods to past films/comics etc (which I know enough to pick up on thankfully) and lots of very well scripted/shot action sequences. It wasn't perfect, but it's as close an example to perfection as I've ever found from the genre.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 4th December 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #12
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

The Hunger Games TOO LOW. Though admittedly it's the only one I've seen (interested in seeing Skyfall & Avengers at some point just to see if they're worth the hype).

+Quote this post
danG
post 4th December 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #13
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Out of those I've seen Muppets, Avengers, Skyfall and Hunger Games and I enjoyed all of them except Muppets. Great to see Avengers #1 on here, that was a very good film!

+Quote this post
Regina
post 5th December 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

No Bourne Legacy? sad.gif at least Jeremy Renner appears in your list though. kink.gif
The Muppets was such a brilliant movie, as was Avengers Assemble. Not seen any of the other films in you list.

+Quote this post
Umi
post 20th December 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #15
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659

GET ON WITH IT JOHN.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 20th December 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

This WILL happen

(at the weekend)

+Quote this post
Qween
post 20th December 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

TV shows, the following are shows I enjoy/follow, but didn't quite make the top 20 which isn't that surprising given the sheer volume of TV I watch:

Revolution
Nashville
Major Crimes
Hell On Wheels
Rizzoli and Isles
Alcatraz
Dallas (2012)
Body Of Proof
Family Guy
Warehouse 13
Haven

+Quote this post
Qween
Post #18
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#20 - Continuum

Continuum started off as a fairly run of the mill procedural come sci-fi drama, but by the end of the series the story arc had me hooked. It's not the best acted thing on TV, it's not the best scripted, it doesn't even look THAT good (it is Canadian and made on a small budget so I can forgive it that), but it is very enjoyable and thankfully has been commissioned for a second season so we're not left hanging.

+Quote this post
Qween
Post #19
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#19 - The Borgias

This is probably a little bit of a combination of both S1 and S2 which I watched this summer, S2 was very good, but S1 just pips it for me. Anyway, what's not to love about a lavish period romp featuring ridiculous amounts of sex involving pretty young things. Oh and there's also plots galore (as one would expect) and plenty of drama. I had kind of spoiled the ending of S2 for myself by wiki'ing some Borgia family history, what a SORDID bunch they were, but it was still very well handled, especially by the ever brilliant (even if he has taken to speaking through gritted teeth) Pope Jeremy. I was also particularly fond of the (ridiculously camp) Alfonso of Naples who was such a little c**t to everyone and then got killed in his own torture chamber, presumably with the anal destroyer or whatever they wanted to call it. Oh and Gina McKee flashing her minge too. Glorious stuff.

+Quote this post
Qween
Post #20
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

#18 - SMASH

I'm not a big musical fan but I have to admit Smash won me over, there's plenty of non musical drama going on too, perhaps a little too much at times. The music for the most part was brilliant though and shall be touched upon more in my album/songs list (SPOILER ALERT). I know seemingly everyone was on team Ivy, but I've been firmly team Karen since day 1 so was pleased (if not surprised) to see her get the role in the end. It helps that I adore Katharine's voice, but I found Ivy to be a bit of an obvious bitch a lot of the time. I'm not much of a fan of subtlety but sometimes a little goes a long way. I'm glad they've overhauled it for S2, with the removal of the dreadful Ellis, the rubbish boyfriend, the rubbish extra marital lover and the other one I can't even remember.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 1st May 2024, 10:57 AM