BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> COMPLETE: Jonjo's Top Films of 2019, Will it be another MARVELlous victory?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 1st January 2020, 07:58 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Welcome to my countdown. I saw 81 movies that were released in the UK through 2019. I have ranked, rated and positioned them all. I have been strict though and only those that got either a cinema release or official online release (via Netlfix/Amazon/Whatever etc..) in 2019, appears in this countdown. So 'Parasite' will have to wait until next years countdown as it's not released in the UK until February.

Anybody have any predictions? What would you like to see high?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st January 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #2
Group icon

To help us move along, I'm just gonna list 41-81 and then I'll do a proper countdown for my Top 40.

71 - 81:

71. Mid90s ⭐⭐
72. The Favourite ⭐⭐
73. The LEGO Movie 2 ⭐⭐
74. The Dead Don't Die ⭐⭐
75. BrightBurn ⭐⭐
76. Welcome To Marwen ⭐⭐
77. Mary Queen Of Scots ⭐⭐
78. Velvet Buzzsaw ⭐⭐
79. Zombieland: Double Tap ⭐⭐
80. Gemini Man ⭐1/2
---
81. Cats ⭐1/2

Not much to say here other than, these all disappointed me, majorly. I wanted to like every single one of them more than I ended up doing </3

+Quote this post
Nightcrawler
post 1st January 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #3
Group icon
All I need is the air I breathe and a place to rest my head.
User: 1,109

No surprises in that list so far. I'm just glad I didn't waste my money on seeing Cats!

PS Thanks for sticking Pennywise at the top of the page - really helped my clown phobia cry.gif

This post has been edited by Nightcrawler: 1st January 2020, 08:41 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st January 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #4
Group icon

OMG Sorry! If I find a better image online I shall switch it laugh.gif

Thankfully, I didn't waste any money on Cats... but even with a free ticket I felt ripped off! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st January 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #5
Group icon

61 - 70:

61. Happy Death Day 2U ⭐⭐1/2
62. Escape Room ⭐⭐1/2
63. Men In Black: International ⭐⭐1/2
64. UglyDolls ⭐⭐1/2
65. Haunt ⭐⭐1/2
66. If Beale Street Could Talk ⭐⭐1/2
67. Life Itself ⭐⭐1/2
68. The Perfection ⭐⭐1/2
69. MA ⭐⭐
70. Stuber ⭐⭐

Everything down to Haunt on this list are decent enough, but I'll be ok with never watching any of them again either. 66 and 67 were good, just a bit long and boring. The Perfection was interesting, but failed to deliver and just ended up being "WTF did I just watch?!". MA was OK for what it was tbh. But yeah, I'll never watch again I don't think. Similarly to Stuber.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st January 2020, 09:52 PM
Post #6
Group icon

51 - 60:

51. Godzilla: King Of Monsters ⭐⭐1/2
52. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum ⭐⭐1/2
53. The Curse Of La Llorona ⭐⭐1/2
54. Can You Ever Forgive Me? ⭐⭐1/2
55. X-Men: Dark Phoenix ⭐⭐1/2
56. Last Christmas ⭐⭐1/2
57. Little ⭐⭐1/2
58. Abominable ⭐⭐1/2
59. The Secret Life Of Pets 2 ⭐⭐1/2
60. Late Night ⭐⭐1/2

In this batch, Godzilla & X-Men don't deserve the lashings that they received, but they are far from perfect. Godzilla coulda been higher had it been about 20 mins shorter though! I don't know why I bother with the overrated John Wick series, but here we are! Curse Of La Llorona was decent, if unspectacular. A nice enough addition to the Conjuring universe, but I wouldn't say it was essential for it. Last Christmas was cute enough I guess. Shoulda been straight to Netflix though. Little, Abominable and Secret Life Of Pets 2 were ok-ish. Late Night was alright, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone or anything.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st January 2020, 10:22 PM
Post #7
Group icon

41 - 50:

41. Green Book ⭐⭐⭐
42. The Irishman ⭐⭐⭐
43. Boy Erased ⭐⭐⭐
44. Midsommar ⭐⭐⭐
45. High Life ⭐⭐⭐
46. Long Shot ⭐⭐⭐
47. Glass ⭐⭐⭐
48. Little Monsters ⭐⭐⭐
49. Eaten By Lions ⭐⭐⭐
50. Vice ⭐⭐1/2

The final section, we see some award hyped entries such as Green Book, Irishman, Midsommar & Vice. Green Book I've been thinking about quite a bit and I think I underappreciated it when I watched it. I'll need to watch again to give a full opinion of it. The Irishman makes a solid debut considering I don't like Gangster/Mob type films in general, but it was good. Boy Erased was good, but I feel like it could've been better had they not been so "safe" with it/the story. Midsommar was CRAZY. It actually was higher until the last 40 mins... High-Life is utterly bizarre, but extremely endearing! Long Shot was funny, but for a comedy it was about 35-40 mins too long! Glass should've been a LOT better. Good but WHAT a disappointing mess! Little Monsters was cute, Eaten By Lions was charmingly funny and Vice was alright. I'd probs catch it again if the opportunity came up, but I wouldn't go out my way to seek it.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 3rd January 2020, 12:47 AM
Post #8
Group icon

31 - 40

31. IT!: Chapter 2 ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "If this was 20-25 mins shorter, it would have been brilliant. Apart from actually feeling a bit too long and thus resulting in one too many "scares", I feel like they made everything work really well.

I was initially worried that the older cast wouldn't have the same chemistry as the younger cast but I thought overall they gelled together well, played their parts brilliantly and I was happy with the amount of time we had with the younger gen!"

---

32. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "As a non-Tarantino fan I found this ok. A LOT better than Hateful 8 at least. I liked the story of how it was basically reversed as to what happened in reality.

Great performances from the usual folk though. Leo, Brad, Margot, Emile etc.. and Sayuri absolutely stole the show!!!

It was a bit too overlong and drawn out though despite all that. The final 30 minutes were great!"

---

33. Hustlers ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Very good, but over hyped. Standard hustling film really. I feel the hype is mainly exaggerated due to it being better than people had expected.

Strong and solid performances from Constance Wu & J Lo though. Oscar/Award worthy? Jury's still out on that one for me, but I'd feel the same way as I did with Gaga for ASIB this year, happy for them, but feel they'd be in the place of someone a bit more deserving (maybe Constance at a push - mainly for the last third of the movie)

A bit overrated/hyped but still good."

---

34. Crawl ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Best film ever? Absolutely not. But it's so much fun. Very gory and pretty cool effects. Cheesy but in the best possible way!"

---

35. Alita: Battle Angel ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Surprisingly solid. The only thing that lets this down is the whole rollerball story. Just feels shoehorned in a way to appeal to the kids almost.

The action sequences were good and the fight scenes were captivating. The writing leaves a little to be desired as it was a bit clichèd but ultimately it was fun and good."

---

36. Shazam! ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Enjoyable. It suffered mainly from being a tonal mess, but still got a few lols.

The CGI on the 7 Deadly Sin creatures was rubbish for a big Superhero blockbuster. It felt very budget Goosebumps.

Pretty corny and cheesy at times, but it overall it was watchable."

---

37. Beautiful Boy ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "So, basically, Michael Scott & Holly have a baby, they seperate at some point, he grows up to be an addict and alocholic and the two if them try and help as much as they can so that their beautiful boy stays alive.

Good, solid performances and a cast with great chemistry. Not a fan of the editing but a good film nonetheless. The highlight for me though was the chemistry between the siblings. The surf scene was adorable."

---

38. Yesterday ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Cute. Started off really good, dragged in the middle started to pick up again towards the end. Lily James continues to be the most beautiful human on Earth. Beatles songs are still hella annoying though."

---

39. Stan And Ollie ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "With only ever seeing the odd clips here and there and knowing very little about their story in general, I had no idea what to expect.

This turned out to be quite cute and charming! Great performances by the two leads. John C. Reily in particular."

---

40. Maleficent: Mistress Of Evil ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "A very solid sequel. There was a bit more to it than the first movie, I thought. The creatures and fairies were hella cute! Especially the mushroom things and the little hedgehog-like ones. Whenever the hedgehog thing spoke "Maceckident" was just too much adorableness!

Story is what lets the movie down the most. It's very thinly veiled and it doesn't feel like you get too much from it.

A decent movie overall. Lovely visuals and cute creatures."

List:
33. Hustlers ⭐⭐⭐
34. Crawl ⭐⭐⭐
36. Shazam! ⭐⭐⭐
37. Beautiful Boy ⭐⭐⭐
38. Yesterday ⭐⭐⭐
39. Stan And Ollie ⭐⭐⭐
---
41. Green Book ⭐⭐⭐
42. The Irishman ⭐⭐⭐
43. Boy Erased ⭐⭐⭐
44. Midsommar ⭐⭐⭐
45. High Life ⭐⭐⭐
46. Long Shot ⭐⭐⭐
47. Glass ⭐⭐⭐
48. Little Monsters ⭐⭐⭐
49. Banana Splits ⭐⭐⭐ >> FORGOT TO INCLUDE THIS <<
50. Eaten By Lions ⭐⭐⭐
---
51. Vice ⭐⭐1/2
52. Godzilla: King Of Monsters ⭐⭐1/2
53. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum ⭐⭐1/2
54. The Curse Of La Llorona ⭐⭐1/2
55. Can You Ever Forgive Me? ⭐⭐1/2
56. X-Men: Dark Phoenix ⭐⭐1/2
57. Last Christmas ⭐⭐1/2
58. Little ⭐⭐1/2
59. Abominable ⭐⭐1/2
60. The Secret Life Of Pets 2 ⭐⭐1/2
---
61. Late Night ⭐⭐1/2
62. Happy Death Day 2U ⭐⭐1/2
63. Escape Room ⭐⭐1/2
64. Men In Black: International ⭐⭐1/2
65. UglyDolls ⭐⭐1/2
66. Haunt ⭐⭐1/2
67. If Beale Street Could Talk ⭐⭐1/2
68. Life Itself ⭐⭐1/2
69. The Perfection ⭐⭐1/2
70. MA ⭐⭐
---
71. Stuber ⭐⭐
72. Mid90s ⭐⭐
73. The Favourite ⭐⭐
74. The LEGO Movie 2 ⭐⭐
75. The Dead Don't Die ⭐⭐
76. BrightBurn ⭐⭐
77. Welcome To Marwen ⭐⭐
78. Mary Queen Of Scots ⭐⭐
79. Velvet Buzzsaw ⭐⭐
80. Zombieland: Double Tap ⭐⭐
---
81. Gemini Man ⭐1/2
82. Cats ⭐1/2

+Quote this post
Nightcrawler
post 3rd January 2020, 09:04 AM
Post #9
Group icon

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jan 1 2020, 09:02 PM) *

61 - 70:

61. Happy Death Day 2U ⭐⭐1/2
62. Escape Room ⭐⭐1/2
63. Men In Black: International ⭐⭐1/2
64. UglyDolls ⭐⭐1/2
65. Haunt ⭐⭐1/2
66. If Beale Street Could Talk ⭐⭐1/2
67. Life Itself ⭐⭐1/2
68. The Perfection ⭐⭐1/2
69. MA ⭐⭐
70. Stuber ⭐⭐

Everything down to Haunt on this list are decent enough, but I'll be ok with never watching any of them again either. 66 and 67 were good, just a bit long and boring. The Perfection was interesting, but failed to deliver and just ended up being "WTF did I just watch?!". MA was OK for what it was tbh. But yeah, I'll never watch again I don't think. Similarly to Stuber.

Only saw one of these: If Beale Street Could Talk. I went because of its Oscar buzz but thought it was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. Kept waiting for something to happen and it never did. huh.gif

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jan 1 2020, 09:52 PM) *

51 - 60:

51. Godzilla: King Of Monsters ⭐⭐1/2
52. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum ⭐⭐1/2
53. The Curse Of La Llorona ⭐⭐1/2
54. Can You Ever Forgive Me? ⭐⭐1/2
55. X-Men: Dark Phoenix ⭐⭐1/2
56. Last Christmas ⭐⭐1/2
57. Little ⭐⭐1/2
58. Abominable ⭐⭐1/2
59. The Secret Life Of Pets 2 ⭐⭐1/2
60. Late Night ⭐⭐1/2

In this batch, Godzilla & X-Men don't deserve the lashings that they received, but they are far from perfect. Godzilla coulda been higher had it been about 20 mins shorter though! I don't know why I bother with the overrated John Wick series, but here we are! Curse Of La Llorona was decent, if unspectacular. A nice enough addition to the Conjuring universe, but I wouldn't say it was essential for it. Last Christmas was cute enough I guess. Shoulda been straight to Netflix though. Little, Abominable and Secret Life Of Pets 2 were ok-ish. Late Night was alright, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone or anything.

I really enjoyed Can You Ever Forgive Me? and it was nice to see Melissa McCarthy in a completely different role. As a comic fan, X-Men was a huge let down - this was their chance to correct the mistakes from The Last Stand and they ended up making exactly the same mistakes!! For me, I'd have swapped Little and Last Christmas - Little at least made me laugh. Last Christmas was one of my worst films this year! Just found the plot really weak, the characters not particularly likable and the acting appalling. Thank God for Emma Thompson!

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jan 1 2020, 10:22 PM) *

41 - 50:

41. Green Book ⭐⭐⭐
42. The Irishman ⭐⭐⭐
43. Boy Erased ⭐⭐⭐
44. Midsommar ⭐⭐⭐
45. High Life ⭐⭐⭐
46. Long Shot ⭐⭐⭐
47. Glass ⭐⭐⭐
48. Little Monsters ⭐⭐⭐
49. Eaten By Lions ⭐⭐⭐
50. Vice ⭐⭐1/2

The final section, we see some award hyped entries such as Green Book, Irishman, Midsommar & Vice. Green Book I've been thinking about quite a bit and I think I underappreciated it when I watched it. I'll need to watch again to give a full opinion of it. The Irishman makes a solid debut considering I don't like Gangster/Mob type films in general, but it was good. Boy Erased was good, but I feel like it could've been better had they not been so "safe" with it/the story. Midsommar was CRAZY. It actually was higher until the last 40 mins... High-Life is utterly bizarre, but extremely endearing! Long Shot was funny, but for a comedy it was about 35-40 mins too long! Glass should've been a LOT better. Good but WHAT a disappointing mess! Little Monsters was cute, Eaten By Lions was charmingly funny and Vice was alright. I'd probs catch it again if the opportunity came up, but I wouldn't go out my way to seek it.

You definitely need to watch Green Book again - so good! I've also rewatched Vice recently and enjoyed it even more the second time around. Totally agree with you about Boy Erased - I don't actually remember much about it, other than the feeling of disappointment when I left the cinema laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Nightcrawler
post 3rd January 2020, 09:15 AM
Post #10
Group icon

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jan 3 2020, 12:47 AM) *
31 - 40

My Letterboxd Review: "As a non-Tarantino fan I found this ok. A LOT better than Hateful 8 at least. I liked the story of how it was basically reversed as to what happened in reality.

Great performances from the usual folk though. Leo, Brad, Margot, Emile etc.. and Sayuri absolutely stole the show!!!

It was a bit too overlong and drawn out though despite all that. The final 30 minutes were great!"

Completely agree with your review here. I actually watched this while I was in Hollywood this summer but I was massively disappointed by it. The last 30 minutes or so probably saved it from being one of my worst films this year, but I found most of it actually quite dull. Leo and Brad were amazing though.

31 - 40

33. Hustlers ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Very good, but over hyped. Standard hustling film really. I feel the hype is mainly exaggerated due to it being better than people had expected.

Strong and solid performances from Constance Wu & J Lo though. Oscar/Award worthy? Jury's still out on that one for me, but I'd feel the same way as I did with Gaga for ASIB this year, happy for them, but feel they'd be in the place of someone a bit more deserving (maybe Constance at a push - mainly for the last third of the movie)

A bit overrated/hyped but still good."

I enjoyed this one a lot but think you're right about the hype. I think a lot of people were talking about it when it was released, but the hype has died down now - it'll be interesting to see if it walks away with any awards in the end...

31 - 40

36. Shazam! ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Enjoyable. It suffered mainly from being a tonal mess, but still got a few lols.

The CGI on the 7 Deadly Sin creatures was rubbish for a big Superhero blockbuster. It felt very budget Goosebumps.

Pretty corny and cheesy at times, but it overall it was watchable."

Liked this a lot more than I thought I would! The scene in the office was so unexpected! The whole film just gave me such an 80s vibe and made me feel like I was watching a film from my childhood. So glad it's getting a sequel.

31 - 40

38. Yesterday ⭐⭐⭐

My Letterboxd Review: "Cute. Started off really good, dragged in the middle started to pick up again towards the end. Lily James continues to be the most beautiful human on Earth. Beatles songs are still hella annoying though."

This was a lovely film and a really easy watch. I'm not a Beatles fan either but I actually enjoyed the soundtrack. Actually, the only gripe I had with this film was the ending - such a let down sad.gif

31 - 40

My Letterboxd Review: "A very solid sequel. There was a bit more to it than the first movie, I thought. The creatures and fairies were hella cute! Especially the mushroom things and the little hedgehog-like ones. Whenever the hedgehog thing spoke "Maceckident" was just too much adorableness!

Story is what lets the movie down the most. It's very thinly veiled and it doesn't feel like you get too much from it.

A decent movie overall. Lovely visuals and cute creatures."

When I got my new class in September, one of my pupils told me she was in the new Maleficent film. I was so excited and couldn't wait to see it. By the time the film was released, I decided I didn't really like the girl all that much...so I didn't go and see the film. Having read your review, I don't feel I missed much laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 3rd January 2020, 10:30 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Really hope Blinded By the Light is in your top 30

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 3rd January 2020, 10:41 PM
Post #12
Group icon

21 - 30

21. Fighting With My Family ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "I can only ever view this from being a big WWE fan myself. So a few minor niggles and things, but overall, very good and very funny.

I didn't realise how well a story about "Paige" would work. Mainly coz she hasn't been in the WWE that long, but the struggle to get there and the divide it made between her and her brother was tough.

I feel like non-WWE fans could enjoy this just as much. It's essentially a rags to riches story. Florence Pugh is very well cast and her chemistry with her on screen brother, Jack Lowden, was the heart of the movie."

---

22. Rocketman ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Really enjoyed this. I'm not even an Elton John fan. I like a few songs, but that's about it. But this opened my eyes a lil bit to everything he's been through (obviously) and I have a new found respect for him and what he's achieved since.

I wasn't expecting an all out musical though! Just thought it'd be a film about Elton John, with Elton John songs in. Editing felt a bit clunky, but still managed to be cohesive enough.

Taron was really good in the role! Richard Madden & Jamie Bell played well opposite him."

---

23. The Lion King ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "It's always a HUGE risk to re-tell and reimagine such a beloved classic. You can't perfect perfection, so the best thing to do is to try and stay as truthful and faithful to the original as you possibly can, whilst adding a little something of your own.

This was pretty much what I expected and I didn't dislike it. I thought it was cute and faithful enough. It was absolutely stunningly shot & the attention to detail is flawless. Seeing the realistic looking animals speak is tough to get your head around though lol.

Billy Eichner & Seth Rogen were definitely the huge highlights, as expected. I loved the new interpretations and little quirks to the songs except for Be Prepared... they honestly should've never bothered or they should have kept it as a powerful, monologue. Genuinely abysmal.

But overall, it could've been so much worse and I don't know what much more could've been done to improve it though. It's just that the original is such a favourite and a Disney staple, that I think criticisms are gonna be magnified 10x more."

---

24. Le Mans '66 ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "A good and gripping Oscar baity drama. Great performances all round and a really interesting story to tell. It really helped not knowing anything about the original story at all, as each twist and turn in the road had me on edge/nervous!"

---

25. Marriage Story ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "A very raw and real look at what people go through whilst going through a tough divorce. Brillaint and gripping performances, particularly from the two leads.

One of those films I really liked, but would probably struggle to watch it again so soon."

---

26. Ready Or Not ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Good performances and silly, ott concepts which make for an enjoyable flick! The ending was humourous and just the right amount of OTT stupidity."

---

27. Annabelle Comes Home ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "The Conjuring Universe has struck again. I really enjoyed this, despite the first 35-40 mins being slow and boring af.

Once you get past that first half oh boy, you're in for a ride. Some excellently placed scares and just all round terrifying and jumpy moments.

Also SO good to have Vera & Patrick back and reviving their roles of Lorraine & Ed Warren."

---

28. Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "This was a lot of fun and it delivered on fan service (although in a very cheesy kinda way).

However, you could tell there was no story structure prior to this new trilogy and the ending is completely taken from Return of the Jedi.

But ultimately it was very fun and JJ Abrams sacrificed what he could from the fans issues with The Last Jedi. But I get that that might be an issue for some as this really should have been a continuation from TLJ as opposed to trying to rectify it's mistakes.

I actually quite liked TLJ anyway and this felt more like a traditional Star Wars movie than that film did. Cheesy in it's fan service delivery but very enjoyable."

---

29. Dumbo ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Dumbo has always been one of the earliest memories of film I remember watching as a kid. It wasn't until like the last 6 months or so that I rewatched the original and fell in love all over again.

This live action remake was really, REALLY cute and I thought it was executed into a live action movie as well as it could've been. Every time Dumbo was with his mum, my eyes watered, but every other time, there was rarely a time where I wasn't grinning from ear to ear.

Dragged and drawn out a little bit, but I liked the little extra "adventure" they took Dumbo on and liked that it wasn't just about him being stuck at the circus.

Not perfect, but the critics are being WAY too harsh I feel."

---

30. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "A good family film. Likeable characters, adorable Pokémon, humourous at times. Not much more you could ask for really.

Although, I feel like the CGI coulda been a bit better and feel a little less dated. But it was good and enjoyable. My niece and nephew really enjoyed it and they're more the target audience."

List:
22. Rocketman ⭐⭐⭐1/2
23. The Lion King ⭐⭐⭐1/2
24. Le Mans '66 ⭐⭐⭐1/2
26. Ready Or Not ⭐⭐⭐1/2
27. Annabelle Comes Home ⭐⭐⭐1/2
28. Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker ⭐⭐⭐1/2
29. Dumbo ⭐⭐⭐1/2
30. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu ⭐⭐⭐1/2
---
33. Hustlers ⭐⭐⭐
34. Crawl ⭐⭐⭐
36. Shazam! ⭐⭐⭐
37. Beautiful Boy ⭐⭐⭐
38. Yesterday ⭐⭐⭐
39. Stan And Ollie ⭐⭐⭐
---
41. Green Book ⭐⭐⭐
42. The Irishman ⭐⭐⭐
43. Boy Erased ⭐⭐⭐
44. Midsommar ⭐⭐⭐
45. High Life ⭐⭐⭐
46. Long Shot ⭐⭐⭐
47. Glass ⭐⭐⭐
48. Little Monsters ⭐⭐⭐
49. Banana Splits ⭐⭐⭐ >> FORGOT TO INCLUDE THIS <<
50. Eaten By Lions ⭐⭐⭐
---
51. Vice ⭐⭐1/2
52. Godzilla: King Of Monsters ⭐⭐1/2
53. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum ⭐⭐1/2
54. The Curse Of La Llorona ⭐⭐1/2
55. Can You Ever Forgive Me? ⭐⭐1/2
56. X-Men: Dark Phoenix ⭐⭐1/2
57. Last Christmas ⭐⭐1/2
58. Little ⭐⭐1/2
59. Abominable ⭐⭐1/2
60. The Secret Life Of Pets 2 ⭐⭐1/2
---
61. Late Night ⭐⭐1/2
62. Happy Death Day 2U ⭐⭐1/2
63. Escape Room ⭐⭐1/2
64. Men In Black: International ⭐⭐1/2
65. UglyDolls ⭐⭐1/2
66. Haunt ⭐⭐1/2
67. If Beale Street Could Talk ⭐⭐1/2
68. Life Itself ⭐⭐1/2
69. The Perfection ⭐⭐1/2
70. MA ⭐⭐
---
71. Stuber ⭐⭐
72. Mid90s ⭐⭐
73. The Favourite ⭐⭐
74. The LEGO Movie 2 ⭐⭐
75. The Dead Don't Die ⭐⭐
76. BrightBurn ⭐⭐
77. Welcome To Marwen ⭐⭐
78. Mary Queen Of Scots ⭐⭐
79. Velvet Buzzsaw ⭐⭐
80. Zombieland: Double Tap ⭐⭐
---
81. Gemini Man ⭐1/2
82. Cats ⭐1/2

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 3rd January 2020, 10:57 PM
Post #13
Group icon

QUOTE(Nightcrawler @ Jan 3 2020, 09:04 AM) *
Only saw one of these: If Beale Street Could Talk. I went because of its Oscar buzz but thought it was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. Kept waiting for something to happen and it never did. huh.gif
I really enjoyed Can You Ever Forgive Me? and it was nice to see Melissa McCarthy in a completely different role. As a comic fan, X-Men was a huge let down - this was their chance to correct the mistakes from The Last Stand and they ended up making exactly the same mistakes!! For me, I'd have swapped Little and Last Christmas - Little at least made me laugh. Last Christmas was one of my worst films this year! Just found the plot really weak, the characters not particularly likable and the acting appalling. Thank God for Emma Thompson!
You definitely need to watch Green Book again - so good! I've also rewatched Vice recently and enjoyed it even more the second time around. Totally agree with you about Boy Erased - I don't actually remember much about it, other than the feeling of disappointment when I left the cinema laugh.gif
Aha. Yeah, it was v boring. Strong performances, but that doesn't matter too much on it's own to me. The ending annoyed me.
I'm not a Melissa fan, so I'd say it's position here is very good aha. I find her very one note/plays the same characters etc.. this one had a bit of difference, but honestly I don't think it was THAT much different laugh.gif </3 The train sequence from X-Men was SO good though, but I completely get everyone's dissatisfaction with it. It's a shame coz I really like this younger cast sad.gif Maybe I should've swapped them tbh. They're pretty close in my affections. I'll probs catch Vice again at some point, but I'm not in a rush to do so and won't lose sleep if I never actually do manage to catch it aha. It was far too plain and "safe" for the story of it all, imo. Which really let it down.

QUOTE(Nightcrawler @ Jan 3 2020, 09:15 AM) *
Completely agree with your review here. I actually watched this while I was in Hollywood this summer but I was massively disappointed by it. The last 30 minutes or so probably saved it from being one of my worst films this year, but I found most of it actually quite dull. Leo and Brad were amazing though.
I enjoyed this one a lot but think you're right about the hype. I think a lot of people were talking about it when it was released, but the hype has died down now - it'll be interesting to see if it walks away with any awards in the end...
Liked this a lot more than I thought I would! The scene in the office was so unexpected! The whole film just gave me such an 80s vibe and made me feel like I was watching a film from my childhood. So glad it's getting a sequel.
This was a lovely film and a really easy watch. I'm not a Beatles fan either but I actually enjoyed the soundtrack. Actually, the only gripe I had with this film was the ending - such a let down sad.gif
When I got my new class in September, one of my pupils told me she was in the new Maleficent film. I was so excited and couldn't wait to see it. By the time the film was released, I decided I didn't really like the girl all that much...so I didn't go and see the film. Having read your review, I don't feel I missed much laugh.gif
There were just SO many shots that lasted far longer than they should have. Margot Robbie walking down the street being one of them (as well as the fact they gave Margot such little dialogue!).
They hype faded quickly, but I think there's still a fair amount of buzz there. It's so odd though coz it really doesn't strike me as an award contender. Not the performances or the film itself.
I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to! It really shouldn't have been as long as it is though, imo and I think the CGI monsters could've been a lot better.
Yeah. It was cute! Lily James is so beautiful.
I'd give it a go! It's worth a watch and it is actually better than the first one! Sorry to hear that about one of your pupils laugh.gif but maybe they get killed off? WHO KNOWS (coz I don't ofc lmao!)

Thank you Perry, as always wub.gif

QUOTE(Herbs @ Jan 3 2020, 10:30 AM) *
Really hope Blinded By the Light is in your top 30
I've not seen it yet cry.gif It's on my list though!

+Quote this post
Harve
post 4th January 2020, 03:02 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

See the problem with E.O.Y. film countdowns as opposed to music countdowns is that I generally don't see films in the year they come out.

So I'm sure I will end up watching more films in your list but for now I have only seen Lion King (which I am almost ANNOYED at having, actually, really enjoyed because I'm so cynical about how remake and sequel-dominated Hollywood has been in recent years!) and John Wick 3 (which I agree is really overrated and idk how the series has competed with Fury Road as action films of the decade).

+Quote this post
Harve
post 4th January 2020, 03:05 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

Also what is ur Letterboxd because you haven't updated the account of yours that I follow for like 7 years.

This post has been edited by Harve: 4th January 2020, 03:11 PM

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 4th January 2020, 03:10 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

'The Perfection' is WAY too low, so cleverly done and the twists had me shook! I loved the two female leads. 'Escape Room' was a lot of fun to watch too, I really enjoyed that!

'Happy Death Day 2U' is maybe one of my most disappointing films ever, I adored the first film, but this was absolutely terrible! sad.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 4th January 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #17
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Excited to follow this countdown Jonjo! 82 movies !! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Poor Cats down at the bottom ahhaha, what a hot mess but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it in a so bad it's good way! All of the sexual undertones, the lack of story, the sacrifice of poor Jennifer Hudson :') It had me squealing the whole way through!!

A similar position in the list for Star Wars for the both of us! I agree with all of the fan service criticism and there were a few parts that just didn't work for me (Princess Leia being footage being awkwardly edited in, the villain suddenly being alive all this time with little explanation??) but I think on the whole it was my favourite from the entire new trilogy. I was entertained the whole way through which is something I couldn't say for TLJ...

Looking forward to the rest!

This post has been edited by Josh!: 4th January 2020, 04:04 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 4th January 2020, 10:41 PM
Post #18
Group icon

QUOTE(Harve @ Jan 4 2020, 03:02 PM) *
See the problem with E.O.Y. film countdowns as opposed to music countdowns is that I generally don't see films in the year they come out.

So I'm sure I will end up watching more films in your list but for now I have only seen Lion King (which I am almost ANNOYED at having, actually, really enjoyed because I'm so cynical about how remake and sequel-dominated Hollywood has been in recent years!) and John Wick 3 (which I agree is really overrated and idk how the series has competed with Fury Road as action films of the decade).
Yeah. In fact, I watched another one today that was from last year, but I won't add it to this list, I'll just add it in to my spreadsheet instead laugh.gif

Aha at TLK. It really could've been SO much worse and everyone's just shitting on it for the sake of shitting on it I think. Ugh. John Wick is probably my most overrated franchise of last Decade. By quite a distance.

RECOMMENDATION TIME HARVE...

The Lighthouse. If you've not seen that, I honestly think you'd love it. I *think* I liked it, but I'm not quite sure. The story was really bizarre, but the performances were great!

QUOTE(Jack @ Jan 4 2020, 03:10 PM) *
'The Perfection' is WAY too low, so cleverly done and the twists had me shook! I loved the two female leads. 'Escape Room' was a lot of fun to watch too, I really enjoyed that!

'Happy Death Day 2U' is maybe one of my most disappointing films ever, I adored the first film, but this was absolutely terrible! sad.gif
It was alright. I dunno what I was expecting from it, but I didn't dislike it. I agree that it was well done but I'd struggle to recommend it to people and don't think I'd go out of my way to watch it again </3 I actually think 'Escape Room' could benefit more from a sequel. The biggest disappointment about it for me was that the deaths/traps were quite lame and tame for the horror film it could've been. I liked the ending though and I'm intrigued with where the 2nd one is gonna go!

Agreed about HDD2U. Disappointing, but I found some of it ok, just not a lot in comparison to the first one. sad.gif

QUOTE(Josh! @ Jan 4 2020, 04:03 PM) *
Excited to follow this countdown Jonjo! 82 movies !! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Poor Cats down at the bottom ahhaha, what a hot mess but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it in a so bad it's good way! All of the sexual undertones, the lack of story, the sacrifice of poor Jennifer Hudson :') It had me squealing the whole way through!!

A similar position in the list for Star Wars for the both of us! I agree with all of the fan service criticism and there were a few parts that just didn't work for me (Princess Leia being footage being awkwardly edited in, the villain suddenly being alive all this time with little explanation??) but I think on the whole it was my favourite from the entire new trilogy. I was entertained the whole way through which is something I couldn't say for TLJ...

Looking forward to the rest!
I don't even think it's "so bad, it's good"! It's just awful for all the stuff you mentioned as well as the CGI not working!

Your favourite? ohmy.gif But The Force Awakens... omg </3

Thank y'all for your comments so far biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Nightcrawler
post 5th January 2020, 08:05 PM
Post #19
Group icon

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jan 3 2020, 10:41 PM) *
21 - 30

My Letterboxd Review: "I can only ever view this from being a big WWE fan myself. So a few minor niggles and things, but overall, very good and very funny.

I didn't realise how well a story about "Paige" would work. Mainly coz she hasn't been in the WWE that long, but the struggle to get there and the divide it made between her and her brother was tough.

I feel like non-WWE fans could enjoy this just as much. It's essentially a rags to riches story. Florence Pugh is very well cast and her chemistry with her on screen brother, Jack Lowden, was the heart of the movie."

As a non-WWE fan, I completely agree with your statement! Wasn't planning on seeing this at all, but rented it while I was off sick from work and absolutely loved it. Became one of my favourite films of the year.

21 - 30

22. Rocketman ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Really enjoyed this. I'm not even an Elton John fan. I like a few songs, but that's about it. But this opened my eyes a lil bit to everything he's been through (obviously) and I have a new found respect for him and what he's achieved since.

I wasn't expecting an all out musical though! Just thought it'd be a film about Elton John, with Elton John songs in. Editing felt a bit clunky, but still managed to be cohesive enough.

Taron was really good in the role! Richard Madden & Jamie Bell played well opposite him."

I really didn't like this one though laugh.gif The fact that Elton John was so heavily involved in making it led me to think they were trying to portray him in a positive light, but I just didn't find him likeable in the slightest. Plus I don't really like his songs...not sure why I went to see it at all actually... huh.gif

21 - 30

23. The Lion King ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "It's always a HUGE risk to re-tell and reimagine such a beloved classic. You can't perfect perfection, so the best thing to do is to try and stay as truthful and faithful to the original as you possibly can, whilst adding a little something of your own.

This was pretty much what I expected and I didn't dislike it. I thought it was cute and faithful enough. It was absolutely stunningly shot & the attention to detail is flawless. Seeing the realistic looking animals speak is tough to get your head around though lol.

Billy Eichner & Seth Rogen were definitely the huge highlights, as expected. I loved the new interpretations and little quirks to the songs except for Be Prepared... they honestly should've never bothered or they should have kept it as a powerful, monologue. Genuinely abysmal.

But overall, it could've been so much worse and I don't know what much more could've been done to improve it though. It's just that the original is such a favourite and a Disney staple, that I think criticisms are gonna be magnified 10x more."

I was really disappointed with this. Unlike Aladdin, this was literally a shot by shot remake of the original and just felt like a massive cash-grab from Disney. You're right about Eichner and Rogen - up until their appearance, I was genuinely bored - but in contrast, I absolutely loathed Beyonce and John Oliver. Oliver especially grated on me and I wish they'd just got Rowan Atkinson back instead.

21 - 30

My Letterboxd Review: "A very raw and real look at what people go through whilst going through a tough divorce. Brillaint and gripping performances, particularly from the two leads.

One of those films I really liked, but would probably struggle to watch it again so soon."

I know what you mean - whilst it was brilliantly acted, it was a hard watch and I doubt I'd sit through it again. That said, I hope Scar Jo wins a Golden Globe for it tonight!

21 - 30

28. Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "This was a lot of fun and it delivered on fan service (although in a very cheesy kinda way).

However, you could tell there was no story structure prior to this new trilogy and the ending is completely taken from Return of the Jedi.

But ultimately it was very fun and JJ Abrams sacrificed what he could from the fans issues with The Last Jedi. But I get that that might be an issue for some as this really should have been a continuation from TLJ as opposed to trying to rectify it's mistakes.

I actually quite liked TLJ anyway and this felt more like a traditional Star Wars movie than that film did. Cheesy in it's fan service delivery but very enjoyable."

The more I reflect on this, the more I think I enjoyed it. I might have to go and see it again! Feel a bit sorry for JJ as he had to try and please everyone after the divisive Last Jedi and, on the whole, I think he did a good job. The Emperor is my favourite character so that probably helped me enjoy it more. Finn was just such a waste of a character and they clearly had no idea what to do with him - don't know why they kept adding more female characters for him to interact with, especially when their storylines weren't going anywhere. rolleyes.gif

21 - 30

29. Dumbo ⭐⭐⭐1/2

My Letterboxd Review: "Dumbo has always been one of the earliest memories of film I remember watching as a kid. It wasn't until like the last 6 months or so that I rewatched the original and fell in love all over again.

This live action remake was really, REALLY cute and I thought it was executed into a live action movie as well as it could've been. Every time Dumbo was with his mum, my eyes watered, but every other time, there was rarely a time where I wasn't grinning from ear to ear.

Dragged and drawn out a little bit, but I liked the little extra "adventure" they took Dumbo on and liked that it wasn't just about him being stuck at the circus.

Not perfect, but the critics are being WAY too harsh I feel."

Hated the cartoon, but actually quite enjoyed this! Might need to watch it again at some point biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 5th January 2020, 09:44 PM
Post #20
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Great countdown so far!
I actually liked the second LEGO Movie.
Shazam might probably be my favourite movie of the DCEU. It was originally Justice League btw
OUATIH was a really good film.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 02:46 PM