BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> X-Men: Apocalypse
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 21st May 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #21
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Oh yes, I almost put that I was rather impressed by Nightcrawler as a character. In his vulnerability and insecurity, that is, made him very relatable, and this for a guy whose look is a blue devil.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post 22nd May 2016, 12:03 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Maybe it was released too soon after civil war because I feel like the critics have come down way too hard on this.

Yes, I see the flaws, there was some overly cheesy moments, the connecting parts of the storyline weren't entirely cohesive and the main villain wasn't great. BUT, the four horsemen made up for the meh valian. In fact, I thought all the individual characterisations throughout for everyone was excellent. Quicksilver again was quite something, storm was cool, Nightcrawler was great.... I was so worried about Sansa Stark as Jean but she brought it and she really brought it at the end. I would have preferred Mystique to have been in her mutant form for more of the film but I really enjoyed Jennifer Lawrence in the part much more than the previous film.

Visuals and fight scenes were great and I really liked Wolverine's cameo because it didn't feel forced and weaved into the storyline nicely.

Great job. 3.5/5

+Quote this post
Qween
post 22nd May 2016, 12:41 AM
Post #23
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Hmm, I didn't expect this to be as good as DOFP (and it most definitely doesn't come close), but I did expect it to at least have more of a story than it does. It's a series of largely very good scenes with very little through line. If your a new mutant and your name isn't Jean, Kurt or Scott you basically don't get to speak and Apocalypse was such a rubbish villain. I struggle with all powerful bad guys in general (they have to be just powerful enough to be a threat, but not so much they can't be easily defeated once the protagonists get their shit together) but he spent most of the movie talking and then just sort of....nothing much at all really.

Ok, enough moaning. It's still a good, verging on very good, movie. It looked very good, it was funny and a lot of the performances (particularly Mcavoy and J Law) finally clicked for me in this one, having not really worked at all prior to now. Most of the new mutants were good in their roles, but Sophie Turner was excellent. I'm not a big fan of her and she was definitely helped a lot by having much more to work with than Famke, but her big scene was the scene of the movie. Rose Byrne was pleasingly used SPARINGLY, though I think my favourite part of the whole thing was HER being the one who unleashed him (unwittingly, of course). It felt good, even if that was completely irrelevant and unintentional.

7/10 (maybe a 7.3)

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 22nd May 2016, 07:39 AM
Post #24
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

I really enjoyed this too, I love how colourful and fun these films are in comparison to other superhero movies out there. My only problem really was Apocalypse, he looked absolutely ridiculous still, especially in outside scenes where he looked so out of place and he also just seemed quite slow and dull, like before he did anything he had to stare menacingly for five seconds, then his eyes to go white and then he could unleash his power laugh.gif

Loved all the new characters too, I think Cyclops may well have been my favourite actually but I though Storm looked mega cool too. Love the trio of McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence too (as well as Hoult, I guess), I really hope they don't all end up leaving now their contracts are ending.

I also loved how funny it was too, so many good one liners, I was really chuckling when Xavier was awks flirting with Moira laugh.gif I love how they made a joke about her not aging at all as well 'cause of their silly timeline laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 22nd May 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

QUOTE(Jonjo @ May 21 2016, 11:58 PM) *
Yeah, I've just got back from seeing this and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would too. My only main criticism really, was that Apocalypse was incredibly weak for a guy who has as much power as he does and I can't help but feel that Oscar was wasted in that role and deserved so much more. Sophie is my favourite Jean already tbh. She brings so much more depth and vulnerability to the character, imo. For the most part the casting was actually great, but I agree with Jark and what he said about Psylocke and Angel having no personality and being pretty bland for the most part.

I think this film also confirmed that Scott Summers is one of my absolute favourite superheroes! Quicksilver was, yet again, on point. Evan really fills that role perfectly. Storm was great too and of course Fassbender and particularly McAvoy were incredible. The chemistry them two have when on screen together really is quite something!

Seeing Wolverine again was really cool! That whole scene was fantastically dark/grim and it got me SO excited for the new 15/Rated R Wolverine film!

Scott Summers isn't even Scott Summers' favourite superhero, oh dear. kink.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 22nd May 2016, 01:22 PM
Post #26
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Leave Scott alone!!! (oh and obvz I meant that as in Cyclops laugh.gif)

+Quote this post
Regina
post 22nd May 2016, 01:47 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Raining Shitter

When he wasn't being a pussy around Jean he was off shagging Emma Frost and ruining the X-men. Urgh. Havok >>>>>>

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 22nd May 2016, 09:39 PM
Post #28
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

Don't know what the critics are on because I LOVED this. Enjoyed it way more than Civil War and I'm scoring it higher than Deadpool too.

I was sceptical because of the running time and not having previous experience with X-Men and not always being on board with superhero flicks, but there was never a dull moment. There was a slight feeling of too many characters (or rather the way it kept flicking between them) but individually they were all great, loved all of the cast.

Quicksilver was my highlight, Evan Peters is adorable and was the reason for a lot of my interest in seeing this so I'd have liked to see a bit more of him / for him to be introduced sooner, his arrival at the mansion was my standout scene but everyone had a significant role to play.

So much fun and a lot more likeable than the Avengers. 9/10

+Quote this post
kye
post 23rd May 2016, 11:20 PM
Post #29
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169

I saw this today (well, yesterday now) and I absolutely loved it! I really don't get all the hate the critics have been giving it?
I preferred it to DOFP and I really liked the new mutants.. Sophie Turner as Jean Grey was sensational! Her big scene really was like.. whoa.
Completely agree with the Angel & Psylocke having no personality comments, but I could have stared at Angel forever wub.gif

Overall, I'd give it like an 8/8.5. Wasn't as good as Civil War but I preferred it to Age of Ultron and Deadpool (Which I don't think I quite 'got').

+Quote this post
post 24th May 2016, 08:47 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I totally agree with everyone that it was flawed but much better than the critics are making it out to be, but I really can't at people saying it's better than Civil War and DOFP. drama.gif

Here's my Xmen film ranking:

1: X2
2: X-Men
3: X-Men: Days of Future Past
4: X-Men: First Class
5: X-Men: Apocalypse
6: X-Men: The Last Stand
7: The Wolverine
8: X-Men Origins: Wolverine

+Quote this post
Qween
post 24th May 2016, 09:00 AM
Post #31
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Very similar rank for me too:

1: X2
2: X-Men: Days of Future Past
3: X-Men
4: X-Men: Apocalypse
5: X-Men: First Class
6: X-Men: The Last Stand
8: X-Men Origins: Wolverine

+Quote this post
Regina
post 24th May 2016, 10:40 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Raining Shitter

1: X-Men: Days of Future Past
2: X-Men -The Last Stand
3: X-Men
4: X2
5: X-Men: First Class
6: X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Not seen the new one yet, the standard drops hugely after #4 for me.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 24th May 2016, 10:50 AM
Post #33
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

I'd say it drops dramatically after First Class for me, which is a film I APPRECIATE more than I actually enjoy. But the 2 Wolverine movies are almost unwatchable and The Last Stand is, well, a complete MESS. An enjoyable one for sure, but yeah, it's not exactly a well made film.

+Quote this post
post 24th May 2016, 10:54 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Qween @ May 24 2016, 11:50 AM) *
I'd say it drops dramatically after First Class for me, which is a film I APPRECIATE more than I actually enjoy. But the 2 Wolverine movies are almost unwatchable and The Last Stand is, well, a complete MESS. An enjoyable one for sure, but yeah, it's not exactly a well made film.

I'd agree, I get some kind of enjoyment from everything on mine and John's list, but there's few redeeming qualities to the two Wolverines and Last Stand which was such a disappointment then and still is now sad.gif . The second Wolverine was certainly a step up from the first, but still not even good enough to be a 3/5

+Quote this post
jark
post 27th May 2016, 02:23 PM
Post #35
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

X-RANK

1 First Class
2 Apocalypse
3 Days of Future Past
------
4 X2
5 X-Men
6 The Last Stand

+Quote this post
Qween
post 27th May 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Well, at least you got the original trilogy in the right order.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 02:01 AM