BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 24th January 2020
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 25th January 2020, 07:34 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Hello one, hello all. Time to give you my personal top 20 singles for this week. Seven days ago, Nervo with Plastik Funk and Tim Morrison took the classic 'Dare Me' to number one 35 years after the original was released. But have new releases from Jonas Brothers and Meghan Trainor ended their time at the top? Here's your answer...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 24th January 2020
© AM LIMITED 2020

1. (HNE) JONAS BROTHERS - What A Man Gotta Do
2. (1) NERVO FEAT. PLASTIK FUNK & TIM MORRISON - Dare Me
3. (NE) MEGHAN TRAINOR - Blink
4. (2) NIALL HORAN - Put A Little Love On Me
5. (3) NO ROME FEAT. DIJON - Trust3000
6. (NE) DJ SPOONY PRESENTS GARAGE CLASSICAL FEAT. PALOMA FAITH - Movin' Too Fast
7. (4) CAMILA CABELLO - Easy
8. (5) ENDOR - Pump It Up
9. (7) COLDPLAY - Everyday Life
10. (6) DELTA GOODREM - Let It Rain

11. (8) RAK-SU - Girl
12. (9) DUA LIPA - Don't Start Now
13. (10) LAUV - Changes
14. (NE) ELLA EYRE - New Me
15. (NE) CELESTE - Stop This Flame

16. (11) BLOSSOMS - The Keeper
17. (12) UNA HEALY - Wild Grasses
18. (14) ELLIE GOULDING - River
19. (15) NOW UNITED - Legends
20. (13) THE WONDERLAND - Almost Never Did

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

Exactly ten months after their comeback single 'Sucker' gave them their first number one on my chart, Jonas Brothers return to the top this week with their second. 'What A Man Gotta Do' is a brand new song, not available on their current album 'Happiness Begins', and flies in at the top with consummate ease after its release last week. 'Sucker' was the seventh biggest single of last year on my chart, and their two singles in between - 'Cool' and 'Lonely', the latter their collaboration with Diplo - were also top 5 hits. Nick, Joe and Kevin are also the third act to enjoy two number ones on my chart inside the last twelve months - Mark Ronson and Now United are the only others to achieve this feat.

Meghan Trainor is back, with new single 'Blink' claiming the second biggest new hit of the week at #3. The US singer-songwriter has just joined the panel for the ninth series of The Voice UK on ITV, taking over from Jennifer Hudson who left the show last year, and she thus claims her biggest hit since 'Marvin Gaye', her collaboration with Charlie Puth topped our chart in August 2015. Her biggest hit to date still remains her debut, 'All About That Bass', which spent four weeks at number one in October 2014.

DJ Spoony's Garage Classical project continues to be a success, with more live dates announced for this summer following the Royal Albert Hall gig with his orchestra in the autumn, including a slot at the famous Kew Gardens in London this July. 'Movin' Too Fast' was first a #2 hit on our chart for UK garage gods Artful Dodger with Romina Johnson exactly twenty years ago in February 2000, and this new version features Paloma Faith on vocals. However, it's unable to match the original or indeed last October's chart topping success of his version of 'Flowers' with Sugababes, and enters at #6.

Dua Lipa's 'Don't Start Now' finally departs the top tier this week, dropping three to #12. It's run of eleven weeks inside our top 10 - including two non-consecutive weeks at number one - is the best since Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello's 'Senőrita' managed the same stint last summer. By this time a fortnight today, it will have overtaken 'New Rules' as her biggest hit on my chart.

Ella Eyre returns to our top 20 this week with her appropriately named new single 'New Me' debuting at #14. She is five years removed this year from the release of her debut solo album 'Feline', which produced three top 20 hits and one top 10 hit with 'Together' (#7 in May 2015) but has been a top 10 fixture in that time, thanks to her guest appearance on Banx & Ranx's 'Answerphone' which made our top 5 in June 2018.

The winner of the BBC's annual Sound of... poll where tastemakers predict the big stars of a new year has always been a hit and miss affair - for every Adele, there's been The Bravery (remember them? Thought not). So it's hard to judge whether their prediction this year is a success or not, based on the #15 debut this week for new soul singer Celeste, who has won the prize for 2020. 'Stop This Flame' is a gorgeous record, calling to mind Erykah Badu and Angie Stone, so it'd be a shame if she didn't go stratospheric based on the sheer force of her talent she displays here.

FLASHBACK TOP 10

Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2010: following a rush release, Owl City's 'Fireflies' smashes in at number one, plus classic hits from Iyaz, Alexandra Burke and Alicia Keys

1. (HNE) OWL CITY - Fireflies

2. (1) IYAZ - Replay
3. (NE) ALEXANDRA BURKE - Broken Heels
4. (15) ALICIA KEYS - Empire State of Mind, Broken Down (Pt II)
5. (2) THE SATURDAYS - Ego
6. (NE) GIRLS CAN'T CATCH - Echo
7. (21) ONEREPUBLIC - All The Right Moves
8. (6) JAY-Z FEAT. MR HUDSON - Forever Young
9. (4) 'BANNED' OF ST TRINIAN'S - Up & Away
10. (3) SIDNEY SAMSON FEAT. WIZARD SLEEVE - Riverside (Let's Go)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 11:55 AM