BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Official Top 10s of Each Year in the 90s, Ranked and Reviewed by Me.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 1st October 2020, 11:53 AM
Post #241
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(Colm @ Sep 30 2020, 01:38 PM) *
Bottom 10 over all

94 No Matter What - Boyzone 2.8
95 Things Can Only Get Better (D:Reamix) - D:Ream 2.5
96 Saturday Night - Whigfield 2.1
97 I Wanna Sex You Up - Color Me Badd 2
98 Mr Blobby - Mr Blobby 2
99 Teletubbies Say Eh-Oh! - Teletubbies 1.5
100 Mambo Number 5 - Lou Bega 1
101 Chocolate Salty Balls (P.S. I Love You) - Chef 0.2
102 Millenium Prayer - Cliff Richard 0
103 Flat Beat - Mr Oizo 0

Looking back now, I scored Mr Oizo and Cliff too highly.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

I agree!

1999 was awful. Sweet Like Chocolate & Mambo 5 were OK, Livin La Vida Loca is good latin pop, ATB is tolerable dance, Blue is on a par with ATB, and Shania & Britney are both classic pop tracks head and shoulders above the rest. Those not mentioned are all rubbish...!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Colm
post 1st October 2020, 12:13 PM
Post #242
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Oct 1 2020, 12:53 PM) *
Those not mentioned are all rubbish...!

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 1st October 2020, 03:52 PM
Post #243
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
QUOTE(Colm @ Sep 26 2020, 08:19 AM) *
6th place - Spice Girls - 2 Become 1

This is rather pleasant, and not as dull as I remembered. These Spice Girls songs are holding up well. Mel C is usually a pleasure to listen to and that's no different here. Melanie C.png

Once can only presume that they're singing about a kettle in this line

Be a little bit wiser baby, put it on, put it on wink.gif

Their best song imo.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 1st October 2020, 03:52 PM
Post #244
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
QUOTE(Colm @ Sep 28 2020, 07:57 PM) *
2nd place - Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time

This will surprise some of you but this is more of a grower than an instant hit for me. If I'd put any effort into listening to it in detail I may have warmed to it sooner. Max Martin's handy-work is all over it - the frequent use of the orchestra-hit makes it an exciting impression. I need to investigate his other work from the late 90s - I know there was plenty of Back Street Boys songs that need to be re-visited.

Classic song and her best single by far.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 1st October 2020, 05:45 PM
Post #245
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Oct 1 2020, 04:52 PM) *
Classic song and her best single by far.

I'd put Everytime way above it.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 5th October 2020, 03:11 PM
Post #246
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
An excellent thread - here I go with the comments about each year and how you placed the songs:

1990 - Yes I would put Ice Ice Baby in last place for the top 10 of 1990 too - too much like a novelty song. Killer and Sacrifice I both really like, the latter is a bit cheesy yes but nostalgic and I remember it from when I was younger, as i do Nothing Compares 2 U. The production is really nice in both songs. Righteous Brothers - You've Lost That Loving Feeling is better than Unchained Melody in my opinion. And I am glad Snap The Power got to #1 instead of the rather cheesy Love Shack.

1991 - Yes first place I would have put Queen These Are The Days Of Our Lives, it is a sad song to listen to given the circumstances of course but great. Insanity by Oceanic is my second favourite of the top 10 although there were of course better dance songs in 1991. Shoop Shoop I remember from when I was younger and liked so I would have to put that in third place. The One And Only and Everything I Do are good songs and Dizzy is good fun, the rest of the top 10 isn't great imo.

1992 - Wet Wet Wet - Goodnight Girl was the #1 when I was born and so I like it more than you do, I think its a nice song anyway. It is on the dated sounding side for 1992 imo, but I suppose it was a middle of the road track that appealed to older listeners at the time too, plus maybe there was a bit of a 70s nostalgia thing going on too back then. The Jimmy Nail song sounds very Take That esque in fact when i heard it randomly on the radio a while back I thought it was Take That for a while before I found out who it was. Please Don't Go by KWS I do like although it is rather cheesy. Rhythm Is A Dancer is great never would have considered it orchestrally influenced until you mentioned it! And yes it did change dance music, put back the influence of melodic early 80s style synths again back into dance music and up to then in early 90s dance music it was dominated by piano house and outlandish rave synth effects. It is my favourite of the top 10 of 1992. Stay is a fantastic song, espeically the second half of it as you say. The high note before the last chorus is certainly a moment!

1993 - Gabrielle Dreams I do really like, its a really nice song I think, I always thought this song was from the late 90s for some reason. I agree 2 Unlimited No Limit can be annoying especially the vocal but the energy of the instrumental is great, this genre of dance importing influences perhaps from the brief high-NRG trend there was the mid 80s and there would be other very energetic dance hits from the likes of Maxx and Cappella to follow. All That She Wants is good, it has a good modern reggae instrumental, a bit like Karel Fialka - Hey Matthew from 1987. Meatloaf - I Would Do Anything is cheesy and somewhat dated sounding for 1993 but is still a very good song. The top 2 are very good, although I prefer Life by Haddaway to What is Love although the latter still is very good. Mr Vain is my favourite of the top 10 of 1993, more synth-heavy dance music which I prefer to the piano house sound earlier in the decade, I like the energy to it and yes I agree the rap is better than Rhythm Is A Dancer in my opinion.

1994 - Oh dear not a great year for the end of year top 10. Yes Whigfield - Saturday Night I used to really like but not so much any more, its is eclipsed by better dance songs around at that time such as those by The Real McCoy and Corona. Love Is All Around by Wet Wet Wet I do rather like, it is better than the Troggs original I think which doesn't have as much emotion to it because it skips through the song too quickly. Bon Jovi Always I really like. Without You by Mariah is good but I think I prefer the Nilsson version (despite not being that big a fan of country music). Stay Another Day is a worthy #1 in your end of year top 10.

1995 - I am shocked Wonderwall is so low on your list but it has been overplayed as you say. Yeah I used to like Earth Song a lot when I was younger for its epic structure, I still like it but maybe not quite so much now. Simply Red-Fairground I like for being different to their other songs, I really like Give It Up by Goodmen but I think Simply Red did a decent job with the sample. Think Twice by Celine Dion - my favourite song of hers - the NO NO NO NO is my favourite part of the song, I can't help but (quietly) shout along to it! Gangster's Paradise is good with the orchestral/operatic production. As for Everything But The Girl - Missing (Todd Terry remix) it is brilliant especially the atmospheric synths in it.

1996 - Yes Gina G's song does remind me of JX - Nothing I Won't Do with the style of instrumental but its not as good a song as it and more cheesy than it but still listenable enough. Two become One is my favourite of the three Spice Girls songs here, Say You'll Be There is good but Wannabe is a bit shouty and annoying for my tastes! Return of the Mack has suffered from serious overplaying but its a good song. Robert Miles - Children is very good - the start of the trance era proper now. Babylon Zoo - Spaceman should have made more use of the intro but overall its still a good song. Killing Me Softly is a very good song too.

1997 - Men In Black is a good tune, its certainly my favourite of Will Smith's hit songs and the only one I really like. I prefer it to the song it samples. First the good thing about Spice Up Your Life - its fullof relentless energy and really shows them at the top of their game - in that way I think of it as the Spice Girls equivalent I suppose of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Two Tribes. But sadly unlike Two Tribes some of the lyrics of Spice Up Your Life are awful. Aqua Turn Back Time is better than Barbie Girl - its a brilliant pop song. Tubthumping is great fun, and yes the female vocal is great. Perhaps they were inspired by The Shamen for the inclusion of that style of rap verse vocal in it. The trumpet solo just sounds so late-90s. Don't Speak is good, especially the guitar solo in it, so much better than any of Gwen Stefani's solo material I have to say although she did a good cover version of Talk Talk's It's My Life. Shocked Candle In The Wind is so high on your list, its still listenable enough although not one of my favourite #1s of the late 90s. I'll Be Missing You isn't one of my favourites either but it does have some emotion to it. The highlight of Torn for me is the backing vocals but its a very good pop song, it has that distinct Australian sound to it especially with the guitar solo at the end.

1998 - Not a good year for official end of year top 10 and the ballads aren't great - LeAnne Rimes - How Do I Live? is the best of them in '9th place' but at least Savage Garden had a much better track imo with To The Moon And Back. I remember It's Like That from the time and kind of liked it and still do, Guetto Superstar I don't like much, C'est la Vie is good fun especially the spoken word bits during the chorus 'what are you loike'. Cher Believe still isn't one of my favourites but its a good dance tune.

1999 - Mr Oizo Flat Beat I actually like oops, certainly a lot different to other dance music at the time and a precursor to the electro house genre. Cliff Richard's Saviours Day and its nice pan pipe sounds (which were kind of relevant at the time with Enigma being popular) are way better than Millenium Prayer I think. Sweet Like Chocolate I remember from the time, good song and one of the first big garage hits. ATB - 9pm is a great summer anthem indeed, I especially like the guitar riff in it of course. ATB Let You Go should have been a bigger hit in 2001, its my favourite from them and actually the verses of that sound like it could be from a modern Camelphat-esque dance song. Yes the use of the orchestra-hit in the production is the best thing about Oops I Did It Again and its also why I like Billie Piper- Day and Night. And Kim Wilde's version of You Keep Me Hanging On too! Yes there's a nostalgia about Blue Ba Da Bee, I remember it from the time and it still sounds good now, there's a charm to the simplicity of it as a dance song just like Ann Lee - 2 Times from the same year.

This post has been edited by Вuzzjack user: 5th October 2020, 03:17 PM

+Quote this post
Colm
post 5th October 2020, 03:18 PM
Post #247
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
Thanks for the detailed reply, BJU. To the Moon and Back is so much better than TMD. I also agree that You've Lost that Loving Feeling is better than Unchained Melody.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 28th August 2021, 11:51 AM
Post #248
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104
My bottom 2 is very possibly "Killer" and "Rhythm Is A Dancer". tongue.gif

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13