BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> thank u, sweet: THE RATE results, Complete - full results on page 5
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JulianNial
post Jun 25 2019, 03:10 AM
Post #81
Julian Nial
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 18,454
   No Gallery Pics

Yep, after that crazy lead by 'thank u, next', things didn't half turn around in the top 10!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JulianNial
post Jun 25 2019, 08:06 PM
Post #82
Julian Nial
   No Gallery Pics

*such a fitting still shot, considering we are exactly half a year from Christmas.

4. thank u, next // 9.31
lovin' it: 365, blacksquare, jakewild, Cqmerqn, SamJudd, Cameron, Liam, Calum, digitalking, Juliano, Jack, HarryEzra, Dexton, LewisGT, Theonix, Jordan Lee, UltraME! and Jay (10) / thank u, next: LM Lou (5), Bré, coi (7.5)

So before we leap into our top 3; thank u, next's title track is the last song from the album to leave the rate, narrowly missing the top 3 (by 0.1 of a point), meaning it was unable to break apart the "Holy trinity" of singles from 'sweetener', however, which will fair best?

There is too much to say about this TUNE...

Pretty much a surprise release and unconventional as it was; thank u, next was Ari's brilliant way to move on from her 'sweetener' era, after much emotional distress and disconnect from the project. It claimed her first #1 in her home country, for an incredible seven weeks! It also topped the charts in Australia, Canada, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand, Portugal, Singapore, South Korea and the UK!! (Are you going cross eyed reading all of those countries yet?).

It's lyrics quickly became iconic and are still quoted daily by many. They also somewhat controversially shout out Ariana's exes; Big Sean, Ricky Alvarez, Pete Davidson and of course "angel" Mac Miller, a brave and bold move on her behalf, after much pressure from her label to change the lyrics. It's lyrics related to so many and became a staple for those getting over anything, whether it be a relationship or just a bad experience in general.

After it's fabulous video premiered, it quickly broke the record for most viewed video in 24 hours on YouTube and Vevo, with over 55 million views. It wittily included a sneaky preview of '7 rings' that nobody could have guessed, alongside references and reenactments of famous scenes from 'Legally Blonde', 'Mean Girls', 'Bring It On', and '13 Going on 30'. The video was star-studded, with cameos from 'Troye Sivan', 'Jennifer Coolige', 'Kris Jenner', 'Coleen Ballinger', 'Victoria Monet', 'Elizabeth Gillies'... and the list goes on, OH but special shout out to Toulouse, the real star of course.

The track and video in general received overwhelming praise from the get go, which was very promising to see after the somewhat mixed response to 'sweetener'.
Seems like it became a staple for many of you with an overwhelming EIGHTEEN 10s and few/middle low scores.

Honestly don't feel I've written enough to cover this, but you get the message!
Anyway, I'll shut up now!

thank u, next xx biggrin.gif

sweetener: 12/15
thank u next: 12/12

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jun 25 2019, 08:35 PM
Post #83
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

That was a great read Juliano! 'thank u, next' was suuuuch a grower for me, I remember initially being really disappointed by it (minus the Mac lyric which was a sweet touch) but it soon wormed its way into my affections heart.gif crazy how she just casually dropped the biggest single of her career out of nowhere *.* the video was everything for me as a Mean Girls stan! I want the thank u, next 'Burn Book' style notebook from her site but can't quite justify £20 laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JulianNial
post Jun 25 2019, 10:22 PM
Post #84
Julian Nial
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Jun 25 2019, 09:35 PM) *
That was a great read Juliano! 'thank u, next' was suuuuch a grower for me, I remember initially being really disappointed by it (minus the Mac lyric which was a sweet touch) but it soon wormed its way into my affections heart.gif crazy how she just casually dropped the biggest single of her career out of nowhere *.* the video was everything for me as a Mean Girls stan! I want the thank u, next 'Burn Book' style notebook from her site but can't quite justify £20 laugh.gif

I'm glad you liked it! I too was disappointed on the first play, but when I got to play 153, I was like "Oh... okay I like this a lot." laugh.gif The fact NO ONE was expecting it, made me love it more. Even if the merch is a little pricey, but special none-the-less. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Jun 25 2019, 11:20 PM
Post #85
Jord
Group: Members
Member No.: 27,116

I’m another one who had thank u next grow on them too.

At the time it came out I was like whaaaat!!

She’s just released her three best singles none of which topped the charts and this is the one what’s going to #1 with ease.

But now I kind of love it. The video won it over for me. I’d have put 7 rings above it though.

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Jun 25 2019, 11:21 PM

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jun 26 2019, 04:54 PM
Post #86
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

3. breathin // 9.41
lovin' it: Cameron, Calum, Lewis GT, Theonix (11) / thank u, next: LM Lou (6)

The averages are getting really quite insane as we move into our top 3 of Sweetener songs alone. I guess it proves that thank u, next is the more consistent album, but Sweetener has higher highs!

The first of the three singles from that album to drop out is breathin, the third and final single. It was an instant fan favourite and spent its sole week in the UK top 10 immediately after the album was released. The song is about Ariana's anxiety attacks, where she found it difficult to breathe. You guys showed the song a lot of love, with four scores of 11 and only one score below an 8.

In the charts worldwide, it saw instant success, which is a testament to how good a song it was because its music video didn't arrive for over two months after its UK peak! It was the highest new song to debut on the Hot 100, at #22, when Sweetener was released. It went on to peak at an impressive #12 peak. The song also went top 10 in Belgium (Wallonia), Australia, Czech Republic, Ireland and Portugal among others.

sweetener: 13/15

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jun 26 2019, 05:15 PM
Post #87

‘Breathin’ is stunning wub.gif it took a bit of time to grow (as is the case with a lot of her songs I’m realising) into the fave it is now but I’m really appreciating it more than ever lately. The video was quite understated compared to the two that came before it but I love the meaning behind it. Sometimes less is more.

Superb top 2 left!

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Jun 26 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #88
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Member No.: 8,661

Breathin was the most instant of all of Sweetener for me, including the two singles still to come. By far the highlight of the album and amongst Ariana's very very best wub.gif

+Quote Post
JulianNial
post Jun 26 2019, 10:24 PM
Post #89
Julian Nial
   No Gallery Pics

Breathin is high up somewhere in my favourite ever tracks not only by Ari, but in general! Really helps me get through the day sometimes, very nearly gave my 11 to it. Any of the top 3 easily deserved to be #1 in my eyes.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Jun 27 2019, 10:43 AM
Post #90
Jord

breathin is beautiful and deserves top 3.

am I right in thinking this isn’t actually one of Aris personal favourites herself?

She seemed surprised this was the non single at the time to really take off and appeal to her fans.

I got the vibe she wished REM got the appeal this did.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 27 2019, 11:57 AM
Post #91
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

I knew from just the first 30 seconds of my 1st listen that Breathin was going to be my highlight from the album. Absolutely stunning song. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jun 27 2019, 05:27 PM
Post #92

2. God is a woman // 9.45
lovin' it: Jade (11), Andrew., Jonjo, blacksquare, Cqmerqn, SamJudd, Cameron, Liam, Calum, digitalking, Bré, ...ready for it, Juliano, Jack, HarryEzra, Dexton, Jordan Lee, JosephAvery, HausofTove & Jay ☆ (10) / thank u, next: Darwin Turretson (7), coi (7.5)

So it is the second 'sweetener' single that snatches second place! I'm so happy that random.org chose me to write about this one, because as you can see above - it received my 11! I was the only one to award it an 11 but it also received an astonishing 19 sets of 10. I did not expect 'God is a woman' to finish quite this high, I would've guessed low top 5 before seeing the results, but evidently it is loved on BuzzJack, with its lowest score still being as high as 7! So, Ari had a tough job on her hands - following up the adored 'no tears left to cry' was always going to be difficult. But she pulled it off as this became another top 10 for her on both sides of the pond - reaching #4 in the UK and #8 in the US. The title is a risqué one for sure but one that denotes female empowerment and how the universe "is inside of us" as Ari said herself. Savan Kotecha (when originally working on the song with Rickard Göransson) originally came up with the phrase "You'll find out God is a woman" and had a male rapper in mind for the verses (with a female on the chorus) to work with this, however, they felt that the whole song had to come from a woman. This was then where Ari came in and did her thing. I'm sooo thankful that she did as this has been an ultimate career highlight for me! The song feels pretty unique with its trappy verses, slowed down chorus and short choir moment towards the end. It builds up so effectively! Although I do wish the choir had a longer part. I enjoy the liberated and powerful lyrics also. Then we've got to talk about the video! What a moment in her videography, on that front the 'sweetener' era took it to a whole new level. In the Dave Meyers directed video, Ari is in command here as the mistress of the universe. The imagery throughout is stunning as the video continually pays homage to paintings created by female artists. Also, none other than Madonna makes a vocal cameo to recite a passage from the bible. Of course there are random screaming gophers that show up out of nowhere as well. Because why not. A real triumph overall for Ariana. As ever she kills it on vocals, I'd highly recommend the performance from the MTV VMAs as that shows how much of a star she's become.

sweetener: 14/15

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jun 27 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #93
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

1. no tears left to cry // 10.56
lovin' it: 365, Andrew., Jonjo, jakewild, SamJudd, Doug, Liam, Bre, ...read for it, Juliano, Jack, HarryEzra, coi, Dexton, Jordan Lee, JosephAvery, UltraME!, Jay (11) / thank u, next: LewisGT (9)

So, here we have it. The obvious winner to this rate... The incredible 'no tears left to cry'! Actually, a track so incredible that EVERYONE bar LewisGT rated it either 10 or 11! This surely has to be a first for Buzzjack? yahoo.gif Anyway, I don't know where to start with this song and am actually honored that I have been given the chance to write the commentary for it. After the Manchester bombing, we all expected Ariana to return with an emotional ballad and with a title such as 'no tears left to cry' this track could have gone either way. However, I remember waking up bang on 4am for the premiere of the video and was instantly crying my eyes out. Oh my lord. The visuals are stunning, the vocals are incredible and the vibe of the song is exquisite. The 'pickin it up' lines easily get stuck in your head and the ad-libs are heavenly - especially the ones during 'the world just wants you to come with me' after the first 3 minutes of the song.

Let me know what you think about this track!

sweetener: 15/15

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jun 27 2019, 11:10 PM
Post #94
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Here are the results of the 'thank u, sweet' rate:

1 no tears left to cry 10.56
2 God is a woman 9.45
3 breathin 9.41
4 thank u, next 9.31
5 bad idea 9.13
6 break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored 8.68
7 7 rings 8.6
8 bloodline 8.5
9 ghostin 8.26
10 NASA 8.06
11 everytime 7.98
12 fake smile 7.9 (received 1 11)
13 goodnight n go 7.9 (received 0 11s)
14 sweetener 7.71
15 imagine 7.68
16 in my head 7
17 needy 6.9
18 get well soon 6.8
19 successful 6.71
20 borderline 6.51
21 better off 6.46 (received more 10s)
22 R.E.M 6.46 (received less 10s)
23 make up 6.45
24 raindrops (an angel cried) 6.4
25 the light is coming 5.56
26 blazed 5.51
27 pete davidson 4.73

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jun 27 2019, 11:22 PM
Post #95

THAT AVERAGE!!! Outrageously high. wub.gif I cannot deal with that sole 9 as the lowest score laugh.gif but 'no tears left to cry' completely deserves this outpouring of love. It was a close second in line to my 11 as it's a truly stunning and epic song with an equally impressive video.

Thanks to everyone for following along! Really enjoyed being a part of this with my co-mods as the first activity from the current team heart.gif

+Quote Post
coi
post Jun 28 2019, 05:01 AM
Post #96
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

NTLTC with an average over 10.5?! That’s insane and clearly shows that literally everyone who took part loves the song, true perfection!

It was interesting to see how the album tracks compared! I think it might be nice to revisit some of the older albums at some point.

Thanks for running this!

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 28 2019, 06:34 AM
Post #97
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Incredible top 2. God... has so many memories attached to it for me and NTLTC is still so sensational - always a moment whenever I hear it wub.gif

+Quote Post
JulianNial
post Jun 28 2019, 07:51 AM
Post #98
Julian Nial
   No Gallery Pics

Such amazing results there! NTLTC, GIAW and Breathin were all love on first listen. Their videos and live performances only escalated my love for them. Such pop perfection and insanely great top 3. Do feel the right track won also.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jun 28 2019, 11:30 AM
Post #99
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Phenomenal average for a phenomenal song wub.gif wub.gif

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Jun 28 2019, 01:45 PM
Post #100
Jord

Pleased with that winner cheer.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:27 AM