BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Conde Nast Magazine 24/07, Will's Holiday Memories
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
truly talented
post 25th July 2015, 07:59 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 140

AROUND THE WORLD WITH WILL YOUNG
The British singer-songwriter and Olivier-nominated actor shares his most treasured holiday memories
Interview by BECKY LUCAS

Will Young

Where in the world have you felt happiest?
Recently, Thailand. I was doing a Muay Thai kick boxing training camp with my brother and it was just wonderful. The hotel we stayed in had the most fantastic staff. We had our birthday there - we're twins - and they made us a cake and decorated it, and decorated our rooms with lots of different flowers. We shared the cake with all the staff and when we left I cried because I loved it so much! The kick boxing was also an amazing experience. We went to a place called Tiger Muay Thai. You could go and train in the kick boxing room or just do fitness training and circuits; we were dragging tyres around the camp.

Name a destination that most lived up to the hype
Sri Lanka. It was just a really diverse place to visit. I surfed and went up to the tea plantations and visited Buddhist temples. Galle's wonderful: you can stay in these ramshackle hotels that still have this wonderful sense of classic luxury. And I've never eaten curry like the sort they have there. It's not like the curry we have in England - the spices and the delicacy of food… I just could have eaten it for breakfast every day.

Name a place that least lived up to the hype
Barcelona. I just didn't get it. I didn't like the Gaudi Cathedral, I didn't like the beaches - it just wasn't for me.

Which is your favourite city and why?
London and Marrakesh. Marrakesh because it's centuries old and London because it's the most artistic, most diverse and it's just so exciting. I haven't felt that in any other city I've visited.

Which is your road most travelled?
The M4, M5 down to my house in Cornwall from London, and to my family home, which is in Hungerford off the M4.

Describe your favourite view
From my house in Cornwall. I've got 14 acres, so I just look out on to nothing. There's just a lake and cows and it's just beautiful.

What do you pack first?
My phone charger. I always, always lose them!

Describe a memory from a childhood holiday
We were staying in a little hotel in France in a little harbour town when I was six. One night my whole family got the giggles. We all remember that time and we just couldn't stop laughing and it was just really sweet.

Where did you go on your first holiday without your parents?
Portugal, in the Algarve, when we all left school. We'd get drunk and swim in other people swimming pools. An absolutely brilliant time was had.

Describe a holiday disaster
Barcelona. It rained the whole time. I cut my foot trying to get the anchor up off a boat; sliced it open and the whole trip just continued as a huge disaster. But then some places take a while to grown on you. I didn't get Bob Dylan for ages and then I got him, so perhaps I should give Barcelona more time too.

Tell us about a great little place you know
A restaurant called The Little Door Next Door in Los Angeles. It's so cute.

I lost my heart in…
Marrakech. And I also love France. You can speak French in an African country and the markets are incredible and the sun goes down and it looks just wonderful.

What's your guilty pleasure?
It's not guilty, but I read a lot on holiday and I find it hard to read in the UK because there are always things to do. I buy shit-loads of magazines at airports and I always buy an OK. That's my guilty pleasure.

What was the last good book that you read on holiday, that stands out?
Codependent No More by Melody Beattie - it's an incredible book.

How do you relax?
I swim in a swimming pool then I warm my bones in the sun.
Will Young's latest single, 'Thank You', from album '85% Proof', is out now

This post has been edited by truly talented: 25th July 2015, 08:03 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ros
post 25th July 2015, 08:06 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 14,601

Thanks TT. Another good piece. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
suggy
post 25th July 2015, 08:21 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 85

Thanks TT, i love reading all the different interviews he does, I'll have to take a look at that book he thinks is a great read too. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 25th July 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 140

He's such an interesting person who seems to be able to talk on any topic.

+Quote this post
Dianne
post 25th July 2015, 01:15 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 454

Really enjoying all these interviews as well, he leads such an interesting life away from the Music, he has been to a fair few places hasn't he smile.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:53 AM