BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Nicola Sturgeon resigns & SNP Leadership Election
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Smint
post 15th February 2023, 10:25 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Breaking now. Such a shame as she was by far the most talented and relatable politician at the highest level

Wonder if it is TERF abuse being the main driver?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post 15th February 2023, 10:36 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Honestly I think it’s probably the straw that broke the camels back. Covid hasn’t been easy but the past couple of weeks have been absolutely non-stop day and night hounding by a viciously hostile and aggressive unionist terf media

This is a huge blow, there isn’t really a good alternative waiting in the wings tbh

The Tories got exactly what they wanted from their Veto of self-ID, the party to eat itself alive and Sturgeon to be out.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 15th February 2023, 10:44 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

If the Tories were nefariously smart, they would use this opportunity to call a Scottish referendum, when polling for a “Yes” vote is at its lowest in a decade and there’s no obvious leader within their wings to lead the party in the same way as Sturgeon when she took over.

Can’t think of who could step into her shoes now, there aren’t that many household names that would be as effective a leader.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 15th February 2023, 10:44 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Wow blink.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 15th February 2023, 11:03 AM
Post #5
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

She had a lengthy and very impressive career, and seemed like a constant of Scottish politics, damn.

It has big implications. A big shame that it seems to have come out of the UK government's raging desire to prioritise being transphobic over their claimed love of the union. Independence case might struggle indeed now, Sturgeon was the most effective advocate of it.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 15th February 2023, 11:10 AM
Post #6
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

My first thought was her health actually. Hope she is well

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 15th February 2023, 01:06 PM
Post #7
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

I think she can hold her head up high that she has done a good job. Obviously her ultimate aim wasn’t enacted, and with her gone now I think it will be difficult for Scotland to gain independence. She was the figurehead and I don’t think there is a politician in the wings in the SNP who has the same stature. This is a big win for Scottish Labour if they’re clever. Don’t know anything about the inner workings of the SNP but assume like most parties there are different factions etc. are we expecting an internal power struggle?

Can only assume the Trans prison stuff is the straw that broke the camels back. Can’t be easy (and I do think they got it wrong to start with). But not an easy one and the timing was probably unfortunate with everything else that happened before it.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 15th February 2023, 01:10 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Wow. I'm genuinely shocked by this.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 15th February 2023, 02:30 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

f***IN WAAAT

WHY?!

SHE COULD HAVE WEATHERED THIS STORM

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 15th February 2023, 02:46 PM
Post #10
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

If it was the gender recognition bill that pushed her over the edge, then that just depresses me but I guess that's a conversation for the other thread...

I'm surprised (I guess the denying of a second referendum showed the writing was on the wall though) and quite saddened, she was one of the few UK politicians who I quite respected and seemed to always have the correct morals and priorities. A huge blow for the SNP and Scottish independence now indeed.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 15th February 2023, 02:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

She and Corbyn were the only two British leaders I have liked in an AGE!! Leanne, I don't know much about, ans Caroline Lucas dowsn't have much clout, and the Green Party as a whole is full of neolibs.

I guess she had nowhere else to go, once the UK government scuppered tje referendum snd her big piece of legislation for the year.

+Quote this post
Harve
post 15th February 2023, 03:59 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

What.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 15th February 2023, 04:15 PM
Post #13
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

Gutted

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 15th February 2023, 05:36 PM
Post #14
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Personally I think if anything has shaken her support base it's the handling of covid. NS opted for an uber-cautious approach regarding lockdowns, restrictions etc. as some of you may or may not be aware of, and stood by that decision come hell or high water.

I think as more questions are asked about the cost of that on public services and the community who weren't actually at that much direct risk from covid - as they are increasingly now in the media - that might have started to put her in a difficult position.

I don't think it will have been the trans thing as that bill had so much cross-party support and investigation prior to being proposed to be put into law. That just feels like a smear from English media and English people who don't like the thought of Scots being 'uppity'.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 15th February 2023, 06:19 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

The timing is certainly unfortunate though as the message will go out that the "trans issue" did it for her. But she has to consider her health first and maybe she'll be just as/more effective on LGBT rights when not First Minister.

Although I'm a big advocate of finding out what the enemy is thinking and so check Right Wing twitter and press often, not in the zone today. Won't be able to handle inevitable gloating.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 15th February 2023, 07:00 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Such a shame, I can’t think of many other UK politicians that embody integrity as much as she did. Following the resignation of Jacinda Aderne as well, it does look like its incredibly difficult to be an honest and good politician these days and I expect she is frustrated, as all devolved nation leaders will ever be, that her hard work can be so easily taken out by the pigs in England. It must be disheartening and tiring but she will leave an excellent legacy.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 15th February 2023, 07:46 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I think the straw that really broke the camel's back was a poll emerging yesterday putting the 'no' vote for independence 12 points ahead, and her defacto wanting to run the next election campaign solely on the independence issue might have put her at odds with her party and made her position less tenable?

It's a shame though sad.gif

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 15th February 2023, 07:58 PM
Post #18
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA
Pronouns: he/him
User: 153,406

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Feb 15 2023, 07:46 PM) *
I think the straw that really broke the camel's back was a poll emerging yesterday putting the 'no' vote for independence 12 points ahead, and her defacto wanting to run the next election campaign solely on the independence issue might have put her at odds with her party and made her position less tenable?

It's a shame though sad.gif

Wow, huge shock today. I do think the anti-defacto poll did play a large part in this decision. Still, shocking occurence

+Quote this post
Waverly
post 15th February 2023, 09:05 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,645

QUOTE(Rooney @ Feb 15 2023, 01:06 PM) *
I think she can hold her head up high that she has done a good job. Obviously her ultimate aim wasn’t enacted, and with her gone now I think it will be difficult for Scotland to gain independence. She was the figurehead and I don’t think there is a politician in the wings in the SNP who has the same stature. This is a big win for Scottish Labour if they’re clever. Don’t know anything about the inner workings of the SNP but assume like most parties there are different factions etc. are we expecting an internal power struggle?

Can only assume the Trans prison stuff is the straw that broke the camels back. Can’t be easy (and I do think they got it wrong to start with). But not an easy one and the timing was probably unfortunate with everything else that happened before it.

Although recent events certainly won't have helped, to be honest I 100% believe she was sincere she is resigning for personal reasons. After eight years in the top job (and seven before that as deputy first minister) she probably is just totally burnt out at this point and figured she would go now while she is still relatively popular.

The question is what happens now with no obvious successor. I imagine there will be plenty of candidates, many of who will be relative unknowns. It will be a genuinely interesting contest to watch.

The SNP certainly has internal factions, pobably most notably in the last few years along gender self ID lines but also radical/gradual independence strategy and the more classic typical left/centrist/right as well. Depending on which candidates stand and are accepted it could be quite a divisive contest.

This post has been edited by Waverly: 15th February 2023, 09:07 PM

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 15th February 2023, 09:22 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

I think it's a combination of things that lead to her to resigning, but I can't help but think the gender recognition bill is the main reason - particularly as she was getting a lot of hate which was further exacerbated by J.K Rowling posting a picture wearing a shirt accusing Nicola of being a destroyer of women's rights.

I do wonder where the SNP go from here. Losing Nicola is going to be a big blow and with recent polling showing a fairly big lead for "No" regarding independence I wonder if the SNP will lose quite a few seats in the next election? Will Labour/Lib Dems make big gains there next election?

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 03:57 PM