BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Everest, 18th September
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post 18th August 2015, 07:42 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

Thought we had a thread but apparently not.

Based on the 1996 Mount Everest disaster, features a big cast including Josh Brolin, Jake Gyllenhaal, Keira Knightley and Emily Watson. A month away and I think it looks really good!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 18th August 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #2
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

This does actually look pretty interesting, I like watching movies based on real life disasters like this and The Impossible, just to imagine how hard it must have been for the people stuck in the middle. The cast looks pretty fantastic too, Jake especially seems to be on a roll at the moment. Hopefully this continues Universal's excellent year in the Box Office.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 18th August 2015, 11:04 PM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

This looks amazing and can't wait to see it in IMAX hopefully heart.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 19th August 2015, 02:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

I always feel disaster movie trailers they always show the best bits, when you actually go and watch the movie it ends up a borefest. I'm willing to give this one a go, since its based on a true story.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 19th August 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

This looks very good definitely will go and see that.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 5th September 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #6
Group icon
c:

This looks really thrilling from the trailers, I also saw a trailer for it in IMAX too and I imagine it'd be so epic there but I don't really have a way to get to my closest IMAX alone from my village sad.gif

Also excited to see more from Jake Gyllenhaal this year after Southpaw even if it isn't in a main role.

+Quote this post
post 5th September 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I'm seeing this in the imax on Monday and am excited! The Walk had a huge impact on me because of the imax, so hopefully this will to.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 5th September 2015, 07:19 PM
Post #8
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

+Quote this post
post 9th September 2015, 08:09 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Enjoyed this, though it wasn't quite as good as I hoped it might be there were some great emotional moments. I thought Emily Watson was fantastic...

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 13th September 2015, 03:27 PM
Post #10
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

Was unsure about it as a story during the first half but once they reach the summit and have to start the trek down, it really rises to another level. Seeing it in the Superscreen was great, it felt very real. The second half was engaging and tense, having only had a quick look at the events it's based on I had no idea who was due to make it out alive and who wasn't.

I think there were great performances all around but Emily Watson and Keira Knightly really delivered on giving it an emotional punch, I had a lump in my throat during that final phone call between Rob and his wife and asking for the baby to be called Sarah cry.gif.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 18th September 2015, 12:17 AM
Post #11
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Agreed with Jack pretty much. It was good. The first half was kinda slow, but reflecting back on it, it's what made it all have such a big impact on the big finale! The performances were all great, specifically Emma, Keira & Jake's performances. Loved Robin Wright's brief cameos too wub.gif It's haunting to think that their bodies are still up there to this day! Do you think they'll ever get back up there and recover the bodies, properly? Are people even still allowed that high up?

Out of all the deaths though the one that got to me most (ignoring Rob's obviously), was Yasuko! 7 summits and after reaching her 7th one, she unfortunately couldn't make it through! So sad. sad.gif

A solid film, agreed that it wasn't quite what I hoped, but it definitely had a more sense of realism to it than I imagined it would. I'd recommend this in the biggest screen available (imax/xplus etc..)

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 18th September 2015, 10:19 AM
Post #12
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

^ That one slipped my mind when I was doing my post, very heartbreaking and tragic indeed. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Harve
post 18th September 2015, 02:40 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Sep 18 2015, 01:17 AM) *
Agreed with Jack pretty much. It was good. The first half was kinda slow, but reflecting back on it, it's what made it all have such a big impact on the big finale! The performances were all great, specifically Emma, Keira & Jake's performances. Loved Robin Wright's brief cameos too wub.gif It's haunting to think that their bodies are still up there to this day! Do you think they'll ever get back up there and recover the bodies, properly? Are people even still allowed that high up?

Out of all the deaths though the one that got to me most (ignoring Rob's obviously), was Yasuko! 7 summits and after reaching her 7th one, she unfortunately couldn't make it through! So sad. sad.gif

A solid film, agreed that it wasn't quite what I hoped, but it definitely had a more sense of realism to it than I imagined it would. I'd recommend this in the biggest screen available (imax/xplus etc..)

More climb Everest than ever. Just a few days after the earthquake in spring, which caused avalanches far deadlier than the 1996 disaster, summits were made. Crazy.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 20th September 2015, 05:05 PM
Post #14
Group icon
c:

Really stunning views on this film, I'm sure it'd be gorgeous in 3D/IMAX *-* It was a little but slow starting but the last 45 minutes or so were very intense and thrilling, the final shots of what happened to each trekker were heartbreaking, you really warmed to each character and felt how much it meant to all of their friends and family to be stuck there, especially the character of Rob, can't believe after all he went through that nobody was able to save him I know it's what happened in real life too but it's such a tragic story to see. The story of Beck is really inspiring but equally tragic, I can't imagine what it would be like to lose both your hands and your nose in an accident like this

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 18th April 2016, 07:08 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

"Everest" is a survival film that was released in my country over six months ago. It premiered at the 72nd Venice International Film Festival and it received positive reviews for its content. It is based on true events and the film's cast consists of well-known and successful actors like Jake Gyllenhaal, Josh Brolin, Jason Clarke, Sam Worthington, Keira Knightley, Emily Watson etc. Two years ago, I had seen a documentary with the same title at the Eugenides Foundation, Athen’s own planetarium, which won many awards and prizes, making the biggest ticket sales ever in the category “Dome films”. So, I had a curiosity to see the film version of events, which its production cost much more and it had clearly a longer length time.
"Everest" is certainly a very impressive film that will fascinate lovers of climbing and extreme sports. It had excellent photography, very loud sound effects, elaborate montage by Mick Audsley and realistic cinematography by Salvatore Totino! The Icelandic director Baltasar Kormákur gave his best and completed the film in very difficult conditions. However, the script of William Nicholson and Simon Beaufoy was quite simplistic and did not analyze in depth the main characters of the story. It was essentially a shallow presentation of events, where the coefficients of the film took care to enrich it with the best technical implements. So, we watched a tragic true story on the big screen without empathizing the pain and misery of tragic heroes. It did not explain to us the reason these people are risking their lives to climb the highest peak in the world. I couldn’t help but wonder if there is not a good reason and all this is done to satisfy their ego. If they wanted to find the true meaning of their lives – it is implied in some scenes- they could have been involved in activism and dozens of other activities which would offer to humanity and the environment without risking their physical integrity. However, unfortunately, the conceit and vanity are two very negative human features -in some small and others to a large extent- which they usually lead people to very bad situations. This has a consequence: these kinds of people must come back down to earth. Of course, there are some people that never pay attention to this and don’t do it.
"Everest" won me as a viewer with its flawless technical part but at the same time disappointed me by the superficial narration of events. Maybe, it is not exclusively fault of the writers, since they could not add to their personal view on the story. Nevertheless, they preferred to follow the easy solution after emotional cliché and melodrama made visible their presence in the last half hour. We saw even snots from crying. However, once the Universal Pictures financed the whole project with $ 55 million, it makes sense to have as ultimate goals profits and nothing else. For this reason, "Everest" is based entirely on the stunning scenes although vain attempts to thrill the spectators at the end. Having said that, it had satisfactory revenues worldwide in the first weeks of its projection as it has gathered a fairly good rating on IMDb (7,1). Personally, I would have expected a better overall result but as I explained above, it would be very difficult to achieve it with this story.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 07:29 PM