BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yesterday (new Richard Curtis film inspired by The Beatles), 28th June - Himesh Patel, Lily James and Ed Sheeran star
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Feb 13 2019, 09:33 AM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

The trailer for this one went live a few hours ago. 'Yesterday' is directed by Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, The Beach) and written by Richard Curtis (Love Actually, Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a Funeral) and is set to hit cinemas at the end of June.

It stars Himesh Patel as Jack Malik, who wakes up after being hit by a bus to discover he is the only person alive who remembers The Beatles and their music. Lily James (Mamma Mia 2) and Ed Sheeran also star, and Ed has written a couple of new songs for the soundtrack.

Trailer looks promising actually! Will be interesting to see how this performs given the current popularity of musical based films.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Feb 13 2019, 09:34 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jun 22 2019, 10:48 PM
Post #2
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

It's so weird to see Tamwar from Eastenders as the lead for this laugh.gif excited to see this, I'm a huge Beatles fan!

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 23 2019, 01:44 AM
Post #3
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

I'm really excited for this. Lily James is just too beautiful heart.gif

I hope the songs are better in context of the film, coz we played the soundtrack at work yesterday and it just made me realise how much I don't like The Beatles laugh.gif But, I love this concept for a musical! Such a unique idea!

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jun 24 2019, 07:43 PM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Jun 22 2019, 11:48 PM) *
It's so weird to see Tamwar from Eastenders as the lead for this laugh.gif excited to see this, I'm a huge Beatles fan!

Me too, I've booked to see it next weekend smile.gif

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 2 2019, 09:40 AM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

Review up on my blog: https://wp.me/p4UO9N-1G3 Amazing film - would highly recommend!

+Quote Post
nickthenoodle
post Jul 3 2019, 09:08 AM
Post #6
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
Member No.: 4,844
   No Gallery Pics

I thought it was a pretty good film but the ending really annoyed me the fact nobody even John Lennon himself had any recollection of writing the songs and then the whole crowd just took it at face value that he'd stolen them but go off I guess. It reminded me that the Beatles do have some bops tho

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Jul 17 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #7
#TeamAnneMarie
Member No.: 11,421

Just came back from watching this. Definitely a warm fuzzy film which I enjoyed but the writing could've been stronger imo. The humorous parts were a bit tame and there was no explanation for the blackout or why everyone's forgotten The Beatles and other things. You could tell they thought of the premise first without having thought about how it would be realistic, same with the ending and the crowd being accepting of the 'shock news - a real crowd would've been wanted him burned at the steak for such plagarism!

Ignoring the plotholes it was a really enjoyable watch and both Himesh Patel and Lily James were great in this! I particularly liked Lily's acting in the rail station scene and how realistic the reaction was compared to what we usually see in films, she conveyed the frustration of the situation and herself really well!

+Quote Post
nickthenoodle
post Jul 18 2019, 09:54 PM
Post #8
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
Member No.: 4,844
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Klimawechsel @ Jul 17 2019, 09:19 PM) *
Just came back from watching this. Definitely a warm fuzzy film which I enjoyed but the writing could've been stronger imo. The humorous parts were a bit tame and there was no explanation for the blackout or why everyone's forgotten The Beatles and other things. You could tell they thought of the premise first without having thought about how it would be realistic, same with the ending and the crowd being accepting of the 'shock news - a real crowd would've been wanted him burned at the steak for such plagarism!

Ignoring the plotholes it was a really enjoyable watch and both Himesh Patel and Lily James were great in this! I particularly liked Lily's acting in the rail station scene and how realistic the reaction was compared to what we usually see in films, she conveyed the frustration of the situation and herself really well!

i think for me a real crowd would've been like wtf are you talking about these people don't exist - but it still just made no sense haha

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 19 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

6/10. Pleasant but could have been plotted more interestingly and logically. Kate Mckinnon steals the show as usual, but lovely to see Meera and Sanjeev supporting. Joel Fry was good fun - wondered why he'd left Plebs, I guess the movies called after Game Of Thrones.

A few things peeved, like the ridiculous idea that a world without tobacco could turn out exactly the same, but minus a few cultural things. The fatal knock-on effect alone changes world history and the deaths and births of human beings. Over the course of centuries too much would change for the same people to have been born. It's also simplistic to state that of course Oasis wouldn't exist without the Beatles - but other acts would! Oh yes, also amused by it being night-time in Tokyo, Paris, London, and North America when the power-off happens and the lights go out. What was it a freak planet-wide eclipse?! laugh.gif

Of course it was a light-hearted fantasy romcom and I shouldn't nitpick anything that pushes Beatles music biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:15 PM