BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Owl City Singles Rate! [CLOSED. Results Coming Soon!], Where were you when the Owl City rate came to life?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Winner?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
Spinning Adam
post Sep 13 2015, 01:13 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

FYI this gif is hilare ;')

Due to popular demand I have decided to open a singles rate for one of the gods of music Owl City dance.gif

The Rules:
  • You must vote at least 10 of the songs or else they will not count (those who vote all 19 of them will be deemed as legends happy.gif ),
  • You can not give any more than 15 0s, because otherwise you are not big enough a fan for the rate mad.gif ,
  • You can not give any more than 15 10s, because the stans need to have a bit more of a challenge magic.gif
  • You can give every song a 0 to 10, as well as a maximum of just one 11 (regrettably) and a maximum of one -1 (nono.gif)
  • You can also give .5s as well, but no 10.5s please smile.gif
  • Deadline is 4 weeks from now (unless the mods disagree with this) so you have until 11th October wink.gif
Promo and featured artist singles have been disqualified from the rate as well as songs not credited as Owl City.
So here are the 19 singles released by Adam according to the very accurate and reliable site known as Wikipedia: magic.gif
CODE
  1. Fireflies
  2. Vanilla Twilight
  3. Hello Seattle
  4. Unbrella Beach
  5. To the Sky
  6. Peppermint Winter
  7. Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
  8. Galaxies
  9. Deer in the Headlights
  10. Lonely Lullaby
  11. Angels
  12. Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
  13. Shooting Star
  14. Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
  15. Metropolis
  16. Beautiful Times (feat, Lindsey Stirling)
  17. Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
  18. My Everything
  19. Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)
By the way I just noticed Tokyo is listed as the lasted single but I'm not 100% sure on this as nothing has been said on his Twitter account and I've not seen any other official source on this unsure.gif)

So please vote away chums. I will also link the songs to the OP as well happy.gif

Oh and don't forget to check out the Owl City wiki in my sig for all things Adam and help a stan out would you happy.gif

This post has been edited by Adam's Cauldron: Oct 13 2015, 10:34 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Sep 13 2015, 12:44 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Links
  1. Fireflies
  2. Vanilla Twilight
  3. Hello Seattle
  4. Umbrella Beach
  5. To the Sky
  6. Peppermint Winter
  7. Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
  8. Galaxies
  9. Deer in the Headlights
  10. Lonely Lullaby
  11. Angels
  12. Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
  13. Shooting Star
  14. Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
  15. Metropolis
  16. Beautiful Times (feat, Lindsey Stirling)
  17. Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
  18. My Everything
  19. Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)
YT Playlist

This post has been edited by Adam's Stories😍: Sep 13 2015, 12:47 PM

+Quote this post
post Sep 13 2015, 01:00 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I only know 3 songs oops.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Sep 13 2015, 01:06 PM
Post #4
Group icon
QUOTE(Joe. @ Sep 13 2015, 02:00 PM) *
I only know 3 songs oops.

You're welcome to listen to 7 more if you liked them tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 13 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
11 Fireflies
10 Vanilla Twilight
04 Hello Seattle
10 Umbrella Beach
08 To the Sky
09 Peppermint Winter
--
09 Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
05 Galaxies
10 Deer in the Headlights
09 Lonely Lullaby
10 Angels
08 Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
--
06 Shooting Star
09 Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
07 Metropolis
---
09 Beautiful Times (feat, Lindsey Stirling)
07 Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
06 My Everything
08 Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)

Attempted stanning. Angels is really underrated I think, my other 10s are pretty mainstream choices.

IF anyone wants to participate but doesn't know enough songs, I'll just put together a slightly biased quick guide for which songs to prioritise listening to, if you liked Fireflies more than Good Time you'd probably enjoy all the Ocean Eyes stuff, then Alligator Sky, Deer In The Headlights, Metropolis and Lonely Lullaby out of the next three albums more than some of the others.

If it's the other way round, then all of the second album singles are probably more worthwhile, and then Umbrella Beach/Vanilla Twilight (just give Vanilla Twilight a listen if you don't know it anyway, it's emosh) from the first one. If you like Owl City's voice, and only if, then go in for Shooting Star and the fourth album things. Sort the fourth album singles by what you know of the featured artists mainly, if you like those then you may well like the songs they're featured on.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Sep 13 2015, 01:53 PM
Post #6
Group icon
QUOTE(Iz~ @ Sep 13 2015, 02:41 PM) *
04 Hello Seattle
05 Galaxies
06 Shooting Star

excuse mi

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 13 2015, 02:07 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Sometimes people really miss in rates that if they do rate everything 7/10 or more then it really makes very little difference to the scores (and just looks boring). Practically, it's best to give out a good range as if rather than rating the songs out of 10 generally, you're rating them compared to other songs by act X, so I opt for somewhat a mix of the two in rates most of the time. Also those three are really average for him so it's justified.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Sep 13 2015, 03:29 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
11 Fireflies
08 Vanilla Twilight
02 Hello Seattle
08 Umbrella Beach
07 To the Sky
06 Peppermint Winter
07.5 Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
xx Galaxies
08 Deer in the Headlights
xx Lonely Lullaby
xx Angels
07 Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
xx Shooting Star
09.5 Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
xx Metropolis
08.5 Beautiful Times (feat, Lindsey Stirling)
04 Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
xx My Everything
06 Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)

+Quote this post
Fgiboy2511
post Sep 14 2015, 12:12 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 20,769
-1 Fireflies
0 Vanilla Twilight
0 Hello Seattle
0 Umbrella Beach
0 To the Sky
0 Peppermint Winter
--
0 Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
0 Galaxies
0 Deer in the Headlights
0 Lonely Lullaby
0 Angels
0 Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
--
0 Shooting Star
0 Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
0 Metropolis
---
0 Beautiful Times (feat, Lindsey Stirling)
0 Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
0 My Everything
0 Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Sep 14 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #10
Group icon
QUOTE(Adam @ Sep 13 2015, 02:13 AM) *
  • You can not give any more than 15 0s, because otherwise you are not big enough a fan for the rate mad.gif ,

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Sep 14 2015, 04:26 PM
Post #11
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
Ocean Eyes
09.0 Fireflies
11.0 Vanilla Twilight
08.5 Hello Seattle
09.0 Umbrella Beach
08.0 To the Sky
08.0 Peppermint Winter
--
All Things Bright And Beautiful
08.0 Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
xx.x Galaxies
09.0 Deer in the Headlights
xx.x Lonely Lullaby
xx.x Angels
xx.x Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
--
The Midsummer Station
09.5 Shooting Star
10.0 Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
xx.x Metropolis
---
Mobile Orchestra
09.5 Beautiful Times (feat, Lindsey Stirling)
07.5 Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
07.0 My Everything
07.0 Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)

I'm probably the only person who thinks "Vanilla Twilight" is BEAUTIFUL.

I really need to relisten to his second album tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post Sep 15 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664
I like all of these songs to some degree so any that I give a 'low' score is only in comparison to others. I used to be really obsessed with Owl City, less so now but I still consider myself a loyal fan, especially of his earlier work (Ocean Eyes wub.gif ) although a couple from his latest album really stood out (Back Home, This isn't The End etc.). Ocean Eyes was the first album I bought myself, he was also the first major artist I saw live, in terms of inspiration my first Karaoke cover using a proper mic was Owl City (Vanilla Twilight) and one of my more recent proper covers was also Owl City (If My Heart Was A House) AND on top of it all Adam's a really nice guy. I guess I've got a lot of sentimental attachment to his music, especially the earlier albums which certainly includes Sky Sailing. Some of his best songs are singles and yet again some of the even better ones aren't. Still, using what's here:

Ocean Eyes

9.5 Fireflies
10 Vanilla Twilight
8 Hello Seattle
9 Umbrella Beach
--
Non Album Singles

10 To the Sky
9 Peppermint Winter
--
All Things Bright And Beautiful

6 Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
7 Galaxies
11 Lonely Lullaby
7.5 Angels
8.5 Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
--
The Midsummer Station

6 Shooting Star
7.5 Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
8.5 Metropolis
---
Mobile Orchestra

8 Beautiful Times (feat, Lindsey Stirling)
5.5 Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
9 My Everything
6.5 Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)

And if you're wondering how the hell I found this Iz, I will always know when something to do with Owl City is mentioned, even now. I have a sense about these things. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
m
post Sep 16 2015, 11:29 AM
Post #13
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

Hi happy.gif Here is my Owl City rateeeee

09.5 Fireflies
09.5 Vanilla Twilight
07.5 Hello Seattle
06.5 Umbrella Beach (probably has suffered a little bit from 'Mattias has overlistened to it syndrome')
09 To the Sky
07 Peppermint Winter
09 Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
10 Galaxies
05 Lonely Lullaby
08 Angels
08 Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
07 Shooting Star (works better with the video)
09 Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
08 Metropolis (I don't see it as an obvious single choice at all, but it has really grown on me)
09.5 Beautiful Times (feat. Lindsey Stirling)
10 Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
08.5 My Everything
10 Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)
11 Tokyo wub.gif

The best word I can use to describe my experience of listening to Owl City is 'feels'.

I think my favourite Owl City album is actually 'Maybe I'm Dreaming', which, funnily enough, doesn't contain any songs that feature here, since it didn't have any singles as far as I know (a video was produced for 'Early Birdie' though). That album is the one I most love listening to as a whole out of all his albums. There's something very special about it. It probably feels a little more 'raw' than his other albums which have a more polished feel, but there's a sincerity in the rawness.

Adam Young remains my favourite person.

Not bragging but he answered one of my questions in a Twitter Q&A once. He had tweeted that he had lost his egg timer. I asked him "Did you find your egg timer?" and he replied "NO WHERE IS IT". It was a true moment lmao

The end is uncertain and I've never been so afraid
But I don't need a telescope to see that there's hope
And that makes me feel brave

This post has been edited by Mattias: Sep 21 2015, 02:37 PM

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Sep 16 2015, 11:57 AM
Post #14
Group icon
QUOTE(Cody Slayberry @ Sep 14 2015, 05:26 PM) *
I'm probably the only person who thinks "Vanilla Twilight" is BEAUTIFUL.

I really need to relisten to his second album tongue.gif

Didn't know you were such a fan Cody! ohmy.gif
QUOTE(Jaco8472 @ Sep 15 2015, 06:19 PM) *
I like all of these songs to some degree so any that I give a 'low' score is only in comparison to others. I used to be really obsessed with Owl City, less so now but I still consider myself a loyal fan, especially of his earlier work (Ocean Eyes wub.gif ) although a couple from his latest album really stood out (Back Home, This isn't The End etc.). Ocean Eyes was the first album I bought myself, he was also the first major artist I saw live, in terms of inspiration my first Karaoke cover using a proper mic was Owl City (Vanilla Twilight) and one of my more recent proper covers was also Owl City (If My Heart Was A House) AND on top of it all Adam's a really nice guy. I guess I've got a lot of sentimental attachment to his music, especially the earlier albums which certainly includes Sky Sailing. Some of his best songs are singles and yet again some of the even better ones aren't. Still, using what's here:

And if you're wondering how the hell I found this Iz, I will always know when something to do with Owl City is mentioned, even now. I have a sense about these things. laugh.gif

Yesss great to see another fan of Adam heart.gif hope to see more of you around.
Also, To the Sky appeared on Ocean Eyes (but it might have been the deluxe edition IIRC
QUOTE(Mattias @ Sep 16 2015, 12:29 PM) *
I think my favourite Owl City album is actually 'Maybe I'm Dreaming', which, funnily enough, doesn't contain any songs that feature here, since it didn't have any singles as far as I know (a video was produced for 'Early Birdie' though). That album is the one I most love listening to as a whole out of all his albums. There's something very special about it. It probably feels a little more 'raw' than his other albums which have a more polished feel, but there's a sincerity in the rawness.

Adam Young remains my favourite person.

Not bragging but he answered one of my questions in a Twitter Q&A once. He had tweeted that he had lost his egg timer. I asked him "Did you find your egg timer?" and he replied "NO WHERE IS IT". It was a true moment lmao

The end is uncertain and I've never been so afraid
But I don't need a telescope to see that there's hope
And that makes me feel brave

I think MID is my least fave for me. A bit unfair to say that as it was his first album and I prefer his newer stuff, but his old stuff is still very relaxing to listen to.

Before I Beyoncé/Lee Wallace my rates, here is my album ranking (including EPs):

All Things Bright & Beautiful > The Midsummer Station > Shooting Star EP > Ocean Eyes > Ultraviolet EP > The Midsummer Station - Acoustic EP > Mobile Orchestra > Maybe I'm Dreaming > Of June EP

Not going to say much as it'll spoil my rate but my top 4 albums/EPs are just stunning. Everything else is amazing too, until Mobile Orchestra which didn't have a great lot of bangers like the previous albums. However, it is new and I haven't given it enough listens most likely kink.gif the last two albums/EPs do have a couple of great tracks also but on the whole they do not match the superior choonage of the others.

Also cannot consider myself a stan until he replies to one of my tweets too cry.gif

Oh and one more spoiler, every one of you has outstanned me on at least one track ohmy.gif even Fgiboy2511

This post has been edited by Adam's Stories😍: Sep 16 2015, 12:00 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 16 2015, 12:08 PM
Post #15
Group icon
QUOTE(Mattias @ Sep 16 2015, 12:29 PM) *

Yess, I love Rainbow Veins (seriously one of his best ever despite being made so early) and This Is The Future, good to see some love for that.

And god, Jaco found us. Better not let him in the Lounge or it'll look like the Owl Citizens are really threatening to overrun the board.

+Quote this post
m
post Sep 16 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #16
Group icon
QUOTE(Adam @ Sep 16 2015, 12:57 PM) *
Mobile Orchestra which didn't have a great lot of bangers like the previous albums

There's something about MO tho, and not just the fact that the initialism of the title happens to be my initials kink.gif After first listen, I was a little disappointed because I didn't really connect to it the way I did with his other albums, but I became a little addicted to it after that.

I'm not gonna attempt an album ranking just yet tongue.gif Gimme two years.

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post Sep 16 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664
QUOTE(Adam @ Sep 16 2015, 12:57 PM) *
Yesss great to see another fan of Adam heart.gif hope to see more of you around.
Also, To the Sky appeared on Ocean Eyes (but it might have been the deluxe edition IIRC

Thank you! Seriously, check my Last.FM and go to overall, I've got something like 7000 plays on Owl City alone, 700 on Sky Sailing, over 1000 on Port Blue and probably a couple of hundred others from minor projects. Like I said in my first post I'm not so obsessed now but I really was and I still love it all. smile.gif
I think it was on the Japan edition or something because I've got the CD Deluxe so I've just got the single version of "To The Sky" (great movie too).

All Things Bright & Beautiful > The Midsummer Station > Shooting Star EP > Ocean Eyes > Ultraviolet EP > The Midsummer Station - Acoustic EP > Mobile Orchestra > Maybe I'm Dreaming > Of June EP
Aww, Of June's great, "Designer Skyline" is a real standout on that one.
I'll try doing this:
Ocean Eyes > All Things Bright & Beautiful > Maybe I'm Dreaming = Of June > The Midsummer Station > The Midsummer Station Acoustic > Mobile Orchestra = Ultraviolet > Shooting Star - EP
Since MO's so new it could change, though I don't think anything could overtake the top 2.
For me Shooting Star EP had some of the weaker TMS tracks, though I like Dementia and Shooting Star. All were still pretty good though.

Talking of that, wasn't "Dementia" a single? Also more recent Christmas singles and the other movie soundtrack releases, "Will I See You Again" for example. I know you're going with wiki, but it makes me question Wikipedia. tongue.gif

And god, Jaco found us. Better not let him in the Lounge or it'll look like the Owl Citizens are really threatening to overrun the board.
Could be worse. Could be Alexis Jordan fans. biggrin.gif
Besides, I'm not going to talk about Owl City all the time, it's just while I'm on topic I'm overly enthusiastic.

This post has been edited by Jaco8472: Sep 16 2015, 09:28 PM

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Sep 17 2015, 12:01 AM
Post #18
Group icon
QUOTE(Jaco8472 @ Sep 16 2015, 10:27 PM) *
Thank you! Seriously, check my Last.FM and go to overall, I've got something like 7000 plays on Owl City alone, 700 on Sky Sailing, over 1000 on Port Blue and probably a couple of hundred others from minor projects. Like I said in my first post I'm not so obsessed now but I really was and I still love it all. smile.gif
I think it was on the Japan edition or something because I've got the CD Deluxe so I've just got the single version of "To The Sky" (great movie too).

Aww, Of June's great, "Designer Skyline" is a real standout on that one.
I'll try doing this:
Ocean Eyes > All Things Bright & Beautiful > Maybe I'm Dreaming = Of June > The Midsummer Station > The Midsummer Station Acoustic > Mobile Orchestra = Ultraviolet > Shooting Star - EP
Since MO's so new it could change, though I don't think anything could overtake the top 2.
For me Shooting Star EP had some of the weaker TMS tracks, though I like Dementia and Shooting Star. All were still pretty good though.

Talking of that, wasn't "Dementia" a single? Also more recent Christmas singles and the other movie soundtrack releases, "Will I See You Again" for example. I know you're going with wiki, but it makes me question Wikipedia. tongue.gif

Could be worse. Could be Alexis Jordan fans. biggrin.gif
Besides, I'm not going to talk about Owl City all the time, it's just while I'm on topic I'm overly enthusiastic.

I did peak at your last.fm tongue.gif
And yeah the Owls of Ga'hoole was great! And pretty much all his other soundtracks (although I'm not going to even ATTEMPT to watch VeggieTales laugh.gif fab song though Light of Christmas music.gif )
Yeah Hello Seattle, Designer Skyline and Captains and Cruise Ships are my favourite from Of June.

With Dementia I also thought it might be a single but I've not seen anything on it. But as you said it is Wikipedia so we don't know for sure laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Sep 21 2015, 09:16 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Seeing this is off the first page I thought I'd better do my rate now kink.gif

Will comment on them when the results are posted wink.gif

10 Fireflies
9 Vanilla Twilight
8 Hello Seattle
10 Unbrella Beach
8.5 To the Sky
7.5 Peppermint Winter
11 Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
10 Galaxies
8 Lonely Lullaby
8.5 Angels
8 Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
10 Shooting Star
9.5 Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
8 Metropolis
9 Beautiful Times (feat, Lindsey Stirling)
8 Tokyo (feat. SEKAI NO OWARI)
9.5 Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
8 My Everything
8 Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)

And here's some random stats so far happy.gif

Spadz: 170.5 (8.97 av) (all)
Cody: 121 (8.64 av) (14/19)
Mattias: 162 (8.53 av) (all)
Jaco8472: 156.5 (8.24 av) (all)
Iz: 155 (8.16 av) (all)
Liam: 95.5 (7.35 av) (13/19)
Fgiboy2511: -1 (-0.05 av) laugh.gif

Cody doing #TRUE rate teas heehee.gif

This post has been edited by 'Spadgemobile': Sep 21 2015, 02:08 PM

+Quote this post
m
post Sep 21 2015, 11:57 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Yayyy, Galaxies with another 10 cheer.gif

I think had Tokyo been included, it would've been a contender for my 11. Completely in love with it at the moment. Btw, iTunes does have it as a single!

Thanks for the stats! Damn you Cody, bigger Owl City stan than me mad.gif However, I guess there are five songs you haven't heard so I win a moral victory kink.gif Listen to them tbh

Why does Lonely Lullaby not move me as much as it should? It's also the only song here on this list that I do not own, couldn't find it on iTunes and I refuse to shop for music anywhere else lol. Nah, I guess maybe it's on his website, but it's not that good anyway kink.gif It's definitely beautiful though hmm... I do absolutely adore the part where he goes "I'll dissolve when the rain pours in". But I kinda need more than one amazing line jump.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:44 PM