BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2018: Week #17, all the girls are dancefloor queens // + links + writeup
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 30th April 2018, 03:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Another quite predictable #1 this week for anyone who knows my music taste by now fairly well, Azealia's long-awaited return becomes the first (but probably not last) female rap #1 this year, and fourth so far to fall vaguely in R&B territory after two from Rae Sremmurd and one from Tinashe. (I guess 'River' would fit in there too?) It's Banks's thirteenth charter for me and second chart topper following 2014's Chasing Time, which reigned for three weeks. Azealia sounds fab embracing her usual house-influenced beats and unorthodox song structure, really laying down the gauntlet for other artists in the genre. No doubt it will have negligible chart success around the world, though.

New entrants into the top ten this week come from Calvin and Dua, Snakehips, Rebecca & Fiona and Era Istrefi, the latter two of which are looking to be the biggest threats for the top spot in coming weeks. Jorja Smith's Blue Lights, debuting strongly at #11, is also one to watch. The slightly older track seems to be gearing up for a re-release following her recent rise to prominence, and was much more immediate for me than her rather insipid Stormzy collab. Nicki's Chun-Li is also a strong riser this week, moving to just outside the top ten. Good to see the Nicki forum getting a bit busier these last few weeks following new Minaj music biggrin.gif

Other brand new tracks debuting this week come from Halsey, Lily Allen, Loren North, Leon Lour, Alpines, Mat Kearney, Kelsea Ballerini, Embrace, Tove Lo, London Grammar, and just squeaking in, Florence + the Machine.
I'll link the videos to those a bit later in the week to save you having to imagine what they sound like biggrin.gif

If you can't wait of course, feel free to check out my (linked) spotify playlists at the bottom of this post where you'll find them and a bunch of other great tracks wink.gif

Final week of April then, here's the whole top 40 list:

01 Azealia Banks - Anna Wintour [4-3-1]
02 Kylie Minogue - Stop Me from Falling [35-4-5-1-1-2]
03 Era Istrefi ft. DJ Maphorisa - Origami [24-11-3]
04 Sean Paul & David Guetta ft. Becky G - Mad Love [18-3-4-4]
05 Sabrina Carpenter ft. Jonas Blue - Alien [26-6-5-5]
06 Rebecca & Fiona - Need You [37-14-6]
07 Tinashe ft. Ty Dolla $ign + French Montana - Me So Bad [10-7-7]
08 Calvin Harris ft. Dua Lipa - One Kiss [12-8]
09 Snakehips ft. St Rulez - Cruzin [25-9]
10 Inna - Tropical [8-1-2-2-10]
11 Jorja Smith - Blue Lights [N]
12 Grace Carter - Ashes [20-7-9-12]
13 Nicki Minaj - Chun-Li [31-13]
14 Whinnie Williams - What About Me [22-19-5-6-14]
15 Hayley Kiyoko ft. Kehlani - What I Need [39-13-10-15]
16 Halsey ft. Big Sean + Stefflon Don - Alone [N]
17 Lily Allen - Higher [N]
18 Loren North - In Too Deep [N]
19 Pink - Whatever You Want [27-9-8-19]
20 Swae Lee ft. Rae Sremmurd - Hurt To Look [32-20]
21 Ralph - September Fades [34-21-21]
22 Leon Lour x Loosid - Oceans (Remix) [N]
23 Alina Baraz - Coming to My Senses [26-23]
24 Alpines - Another River [N]
25 Lady Gaga - Your Song [21-20-25]
26 Yellow Claw ft. Valentina - Villain [40-17-26]
27 Zayn - Let Me [16-27]
28 Tracey Thorn ft. Shura - Air [22-19-28]
29 Honne - Day 1 [40-X1-24-29]
30 Jack Antonoff ft. M0 - Never Fall in Love [36-23-30]
31 BoTalks ft. Caroline Pennell - F*ck It [31-11-8-15-31]
32 Mat Kearney - Face to Face [N]
33 Kelsea Ballerini - Miss Me More [N]
34 Embrace - Where You Sleeping [N]
35 Preatures - Cherry Ripe [35-30-35]
36 Tove Lo - Stranger [N]
37 YFN Lucci ft. Dreezy - Come With Me [13-37]
38 London Grammar - Leave the War with Me [N]
39 Reign - Make Me [30-27-39]
40 Florence + the Machine - Sky Full of Song [N]

#1s this year:
Inna – Nirvana (1)
Eminem ft. Ed Sheeran – River (1)
Femme En Fourrure ft. Pykari – Ride (2)
Simian Ghost – Eat The Rich (1)
MGMT – When You Die (1)
Chvrches – Get Out (1)
M.O ft. Lotto Boyzz + Mr Eazi – Bad Vibe (1)
Jhene Aiko ft. Rae Sremmurd – Sativa (1)
Paloma Faith – Til I'm Done (1)
HAIM – You Never Knew (1)
Rae Sremmurd ft. Juicy J – Powerglide (1)
Tinashe ft. Offset – No Drama (1)
Inna – Tropical (1)
Kylie Minogue – Stop Me From Falling (2)
Azealia Banks – Anna Wintour (~)

My spotify picks arrow right.gif {A-List} arrow right.gif {B-List} arrow right.gif {C-List}

This post has been edited by Jόpiter: 10th May 2018, 02:42 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 30th April 2018, 04:33 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723
Hello Jupiter!
I'm very happy that "One Kiss" is in your top 10!
And I like the debut of "Alone"!
Great chart overall!

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 8th May 2018, 07:30 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
Anna Wintour is a good song, I liked hearing it on Plug.DJ tongue.gif

Mad Love is a bop too so nice to see it so high!

Nice climb for Chun-Li too!

Great chart cheer.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 10th May 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #4
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
And here are this week's new entries, as promised!

Starting at the top this week, a very high debut for Jorja Smith. Here's hoping Blue Lights gets a re-release (the new video would suggest so mind...), it's by far the best thing I've heard from her so far, a big tick in my indie box and my reinvention of a classic song box. More like this from her please!

Halsey gains a third charting track from her latest album campaign, but, I have to say she's going a little backwards for me. Strangers - somehow still not released as a single! was a career peak for me, and nothing she's put out since has really come close. Also, much as I liked this one, and I like Stefflon Don, I really don't feel she adds anything here.

Higher sees Lily star on a chillwave, almost tropical inspired slowtempo track with heavy falsetto, and it's not at all what I expected from her. I was lukewarm at first, but this really clicked this last month and debuts straight into my top 20. One you really have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate.

A slice of Majestic Casual esque indie-edm from Loren North with her chart debut. This surged through the week to its high impact here.

And more of the same from Leon Lour and Loosid. If this had a video I'd definitely consider it as one to send to BJSC, but that lack gives me pause. Perhaps one to save for a dance contest?

Alpines with a belated solo chart debut here; the group are best known for their feature on Sub Focus's Tidal Wave. I had had their music on my to listen list since the end of last year after I saw them supporting Goldfrapp, but only got around to it in this last month. I'd highly recommend their album, also titled Another River, for more of the same.

This one sneaks in for Mat Kearney after the unexpected success of his RAC collab Memorized led me to reconsider the rest of his latest EP. This one's no quite as good, but still decent, and Kearney's got an interesting voice for dance tracks.

A very belated entry for Kelsea Ballerini who finally picks up enough plays of Miss Me More to squeak in after what may even be six months of this track being on my radar. It's a nice country crossover track and gives her her first charter for me.

Embrace chart a second track from their latest album here and land at exactly the same spot. It's good to see the group still going nearly a decade after their commercial peak, with an updated-for-2018 version of their signature sound.

A third charter for Tove Lo from the slightly-disappointing Blue Lips project, perhaps soon to be reinvigorated by the release of superstar five-way collab Bitches (Remix). Stranger is a decent track I found this time through the album, the album as a whole is a lot more slowburn than either of her previous pair.

And speaking of album tracks, another here from London Grammar. I'm aware I will probably eventually chart the whole album by picking a 'single' that appeals to me every several months. This spring it's the turn of Leave the War with Me that displays some great vocal runs from Hannah as the main hook.

And finally for this week, just squeaking in, the first IG from Florence's upcoming album. I'm quite relieved this isn't the first single, as it doesn't sound at all like one, much less a lead announcing a long-awaited comeback. It's an interesting intro of things to come though, suggesting Florence may be about to take a Kate Bush-like direction for album #4. Intrigued to see more.

Thanks folks for commenting with your thoughts, I really appreciate reading and hearing from y'all. Interactivity! I'll be back with more of these in the chart for next week!

+Quote this post
danG
post 11th May 2018, 12:33 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
hi Jupiter

01 Azealia Banks - Anna Wintour [4-3-1] not keen really, she comes across as so unlikeable. I still rate '212' (proper tune) but don't care for her anymore
03 Era Istrefi ft. DJ Maphorisa - Origami [24-11-3] think I took a listen but it was forgettable for me, reckon she'll remain a one-hit wonder in my chart with 'Bonbon'
08 Calvin Harris ft. Dua Lipa - One Kiss [12-8] yay for this cracking another top ten chart!
11 Jorja Smith - Blue Lights [N] know this one from when it got sent to BJSC two years ago, glad it's getting a radio push now but I don't suppose it'll do anything, shame cos it's a lot better than Let Me Down

nice chart!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 04:52 PM