BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> One Week Wonders in the UK Chart, An ongoing journey through the shortest lived hits (now in Mar 1984)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
DanChartFan
post Nov 2 2019, 01:33 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,866
QUOTE(Robbie @ Oct 22 2019, 01:20 PM) *
A very interesting idea for a thread! Sounds good to me.

To answer a question in your first post: the 76 to 100 part of the Top 100 Singles charts on the OCC website are the "compressed" version (that is, exclusion rules as per 1983-91 applied) from 12 February 1994 to 16 April 2005. From 23 April 2005 downloads were incorporated into the chart and the old exclusion rules were dropped though of course new exclusion rules did get introduced.

What isn't in the OCC archive are positions 76-100 from April 1991 to January 1994. While it looks like the full top 100 charts from April 1991 to August 1992 are now unobtainable (unless someone can get access to the BPI library as they do have them) I do have positions 76-100 (again with exclusion rules being applied) from September 1992 to January 1994. If you haven't got them and want them then let me know and I can direct you to a thread at ukmix where I posted them...

Yes I think I remember seeing a thread about 76-100 positions over at ukmix, but please do point me (and anyone else who's interested) to it (or are we not supposed to link to rival chart forums here?).

This post has been edited by DanChartFan: Nov 2 2019, 03:34 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DanChartFan
post Nov 2 2019, 02:09 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 2 2019, 12:25 AM) *
Joni James has a lovely voice - I think that's my new favourite of the thread so far! Something I really enjoy about the 50s is the amount of classy vocalists in the chart. The Frankie Laine song is good too - I only knew 'I Believe', 'Hey Joe' and 'Answer Me' by him and I like all three in addition to this one, so he seems cool.

That version of 'Broken Wings' didn't do much for me - I do know and enjoy The Stargazers' version though. 'I See The Moon' is their best in my opinion though, pretty zany *.*

(yes don't mind me discovering pretty much everything here, my knowledge of the 50s is mostly artists who have #1s or #2s and I'm enjoying expanding that!)

Loving the commentary so far! The chart geekery is most pleasing.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I agree that Joni James has a lovely voice, and I do love I See The Moon by the Stargazers.

Don't worry that you're discovering pretty much everything in this thread so far, that was sort of the very concept behind it, as I figured that the shorter the time spent in the chart the more obscure the tracks, and the more likely it would be that I (and other buzzjackers) hadn't heard them before, yet at the same time the fact they charted at all should ensure some level of quality, at least at first when the chart was still relatively short. Although I do have a ton of chart trivia in my head for the 50s (and am enjoying researching quite a lot more as I go along), I'm not necessarily familiar with the recordings either, other than those that reached the top 2 or 3 and a handful of others, so I'm on a voyage of discovery here myself.

+Quote this post
DanChartFan
post Nov 2 2019, 03:29 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
One more trio for tonight, even if it is well after 3am now....

Our next one is from 11th July 1953, and charted at #12. It's by Vivian Blaine, and is a song from the musical 'Guys and Dolls', called 'Bushel and a Peck'. There was another version by Doris Day that was quite well known in the US, but that didn't chart here in the UK. Vivian was the actress and singer who had originally performed in the Guys and Dolls stage show on Broadway, as Miss Adelaide, back in 1950. She had been reprising the role at the London Coliseum since the 28th May 1953. This song was dropped from the film version of Guys and Dolls and replaced with Pet Me Poppa.

Quite a big gap now, until 3rd October 1953, and the chart debut of a tenor from Hull called David Whitfield. David was fresh from having won a radio version of Opportunity Knocks on Radio Luxembourg. His first couple of singles failed to chart, but this, his third release, was a one week wonder at #9, his next release, which charted just a fortnight later, was Answer Me, which would hit number one, making the second Brit (after Lita Roza, who was Liverpudlian) and the first British talent show winner to do so.

And on to 30th January 1954 and another future charttopper's chart debut, this time Frankie Vaughan. It's a slightly novelty offering called Istanbul (Not Constantinople). There's also a sped up version from June 1990 by They Might Be Giants, but that managed 3 weeks in the lower reaches of the chart, and so won't bother us on this list.

Finally, for the same reasons as the 1952 bonuses, here's a 1953 bonus. For, I think, the only time Xmas 1953 saw two weeks in a row where a new chart was not compiled, 26th December 1953 and 2nd January 1953, and consequently chartologists plug both gaps with the chart from 19th December 1953. On the 19th December 1953 there were three versions of I Saw Mommy Kisisng Santa Claus in the chart. The Jimmy Boyd version on Columbia was at number 8, but had already peaked at number 3, whilst the Beverly Sisters version, on Philips, was now at #7 having already peaked one place higher at #6. The third version was entering at #12, was on Decca, and was by Billy Cotton and his Band. By the time normal chart service had been resumed, for the 9th January 1954, there was no further trace of any of the three versions, meaning that Billy's version has three chart weeks in most chartologists databases even though all three weeks derive from a single compiled chart. 34 years later, in December 1987, one other version of the song, by Michael Jackson, troubled the lower reaches of the chart peaking at #91, though managing 4 weeks in the 91-100 range. Again no version of this Xmas song has reappeared in the Official Top 100 in the download and streaming era, and checking the Spotfy Daily UK Top 200 for Xmas Day 2018 shows only two versions of the song, a Jackson 5 version at 42 (I'm not sure if this is the same as the Michael Jackson version that charted in 1987) and a version by the Ronettes at 195. Anyway here's the Billy Cotton version.

And that's it for 1953. Not sure when I'll carry on again with 1954, but I'm thinking maybe doing this twice a week on Tuesday and Friday, with a larger number run through on each day, or else doing a trio of tracks each evening from now on, I'm not sure which people would prefer, so let me know what you think.

This post has been edited by DanChartFan: Nov 2 2019, 03:38 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Nov 2 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
If you do three tracks each evening,I think we are more likely to listen to the youtube clips but do whatever suits your weekly routine. Great work so far,an interesting read.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Nov 2 2019, 12:46 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
QUOTE(DanChartFan @ Nov 2 2019, 02:33 AM) *
Yes I think I remember seeing a thread about 76-100 positions over at ukmix, but please do point me (and anyone else who's interested) to it (or are we not supposed to link to rival chart forums here?).

I can't imagine there would be any problems with me posting the link as the two boards complement each other rather than being rivals for the same types of threads.

https://www.ukmix.org/showthread.php?20740

The September 1992 to January 1994 76-100 positions start on page 9. There's also a top 200 for 12 February 1994 (the first chart compiled by Millward Brown) on the same page.

This post has been edited by Robbie: Nov 2 2019, 12:47 PM

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post Nov 2 2019, 01:01 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521
QUOTE(E L Rollo @ Nov 2 2019, 12:13 AM) *
When I first started looking at 50s charts,I thought the Conservative Party leader Ted Heath had a previous career as a bandleader. It was a while before I realised they were different people.

Edward Heath the Prime Minister did have a recording career too, though no hit singles:
https://www.discogs.com/artist/81775-Edward-Heath

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Nov 2 2019, 01:18 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Yes,that my explain the confusion. I have a vague memory of seeing him conduct an orchestra on TV and I think he might have appeared on a Morecambe and Wise Christmas show as well.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 2 2019, 02:06 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Surprising how many songs i know, though most of them are still unknown to me. Most of the acts i know though, mum and dad are big fans of the likes of david whitfield, frankie laine, and i think doris day is always good. Theres only 2 acts im not aware of, which isnt bad as i was minus 6 years old and ive never really listened much to 50s compilations... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Nov 2 2019, 02:17 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
If anyone is interested in reading the 14 November 1952 issue of the New Musical Express which contains the first ever UK singles sales chart then click on https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archiv...11-14-S-OCR.pdf which is downloadable as a PDF. The chart is on page 8. The newspaper cost 6d at the time which is the equivalent of 2½ pence. Allowing for inflation that is the equivelent of 71 pence today.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 2 2019, 04:00 PM
Post #30
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
I know the They Might Be Giants version of 'Istanbul (Not Constantinople)', didn't realise it was not an original song! It's a fun track (although probably less fun in a slower version x)

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Nov 2 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(Bré @ Nov 2 2019, 05:00 PM) *
I know the They Might Be Giants version of 'Istanbul (Not Constantinople)', didn't realise it was not an original song! It's a fun track (although probably less fun in a slower version x)
I didn't know that either. Looking up the songwriter (James Kennedy) on wikipedia he wrote quite a few successful songs including childrens favourite 'Teddy Bears Picnic" as well as World War II favourite 'We're Going to Hang out the Washing on the Siegfried Line', a version of the 'Hokey Cokey' and The Platters massive hit 'My Prayer'. Quite a versatile songwriter; he was born in Omagh and lived much of his life in Somerset.

This is what I like about these threads about old charts, I find out something new each time.

+Quote this post
DanChartFan
post Nov 3 2019, 05:01 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Ok, I'm going to try a daily post of one trio of one week wonders. I've already done 6 such trios over my previous posts, so here is Episode 7 of The One Week Wonders.

Our first one this time is another case of the other side of a disc charting in its own right. Guy Mitchell was having quite a big hit (peaking at #2) with Cloud Lucky Seven, but on 27th February 1954 the other side, Sippin' Soda, joined it in the charts for one week at #11 (Cloud Lucky Seven stayed put at #4 that same week).

Our second one week wonder today is an alternative version of a song that was much more successful by another act. The song is The Happy Wanderer, which was a big hit for the Obernkirchen Children's Choir, who I believe John Peel claimed were the first live gig he ever saw. Their version stayed in the charts for an impressive 26 weeks, and spent five consecutive weeks at number 2. On the fourth of those weeks, 10th April 1954, the second version, by the Stargazers, charted at number #12. I wonder if some sales being lost to the Stargazers version contributed to the Obenkirchen Children's Choir missing out on number one, despite that version's chart longevity?

And lastly for today a one week wonder for Nat 'King' Cole. Charting for one week at #10 on 17th April 1954 was Tenderly. His next single in the charts would be the #2 hit Smile, perhaps his best-known song. I could have linked to the original recording, but instead I found a video of the great man in action, performing Tenderly on his own show in 1957.

And before I end for today, there's another bonus to add. On 13th March 1954 a recording from 1946 managed to chart in the NME chart for a single week at #12. It would have been one of our trio today, had it not returned to the charts in early 1976 as part of a triple a-side which would peak at #13. The other two 'sides' on that occasion were In The Mood and Little Brown Jug, and this is Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade.

This post has been edited by DanChartFan: Nov 3 2019, 05:09 PM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Nov 3 2019, 05:33 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I certainly recognise the tune of The Happy Wanderer from something. It might be the other more popular version or someone else singing it.

+Quote this post
DanChartFan
post Nov 3 2019, 08:14 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(E L Rollo @ Nov 3 2019, 05:33 PM) *
I certainly recognise the tune of The Happy Wanderer from something. It might be the other more popular version or someone else singing it.

Are you a fan of the Fast Show? It features fairly prominently in one of their sketches, so that could be what you're thinking of.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Nov 3 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
No,I've never seen it. I know it from much further back than that. It was probably sung quite a lot on childrens TV programmes in the 70s or maybe in a film.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Nov 3 2019, 08:40 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I've searched youtube as this childhood memory is driving me crazy and have found where I know it from. In the 70s,the local ice cream van played it. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 3 2019, 10:29 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Wow, this thread really puts into perspective how long Elizabeth II has been on the throne for, so many eras of music have passed by in that time!

Interesting story about the catalogue numbers for the Johnnie Ray and Doris Day duets! Just gave them both a listen and I'm definitely preferring 'A Full Time Job', so yay for that one charting slightly higher. What a toe tapper *.*

I've never seen Guys And Dolls before but I do know and quite like 'Sit Down You're Rocking The Boat'. However, 'Bushell And A Peck' is pretty naff, can kinda see why that was cut from the film kink.gif

It feels so odd to hear a slowed down version of 'Istanbul (Not Constantinople)' - that song must be experienced in a high octane form, I refuse anything else laugh.gif

'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus' is my least favourite Christmas song oops, but this version is more tolerable than the shrill Jacksons one.

Not sure if I know the original of 'The Happy Wanderer' but I'm enjoying The Stargazers' version! They're definitely emerging as one of my favourite 50s groups.

It was nice to see some visuals for 'Tenderly' following a lot of still image clips (understandably kink.gif) - a legendary vocalist for sure.

I definitely like the idea of posting a trio each day! That seems manageable to keep up with.

+Quote this post
DanChartFan
post Nov 4 2019, 05:00 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
The One Week Wonders - Episode 8

We start today's episode by having to go backwards in time again, something I wasn't banking on, but I'm afraid there was a little cock up in the research department. Our first song today charted at #12 on 24/01/1953, in a tied position with two other singles. My source for the 50s, The Complete NME Singles Charts, listed those other two singles, but failed to list this one, and for my part I failed to corroborate the 50s list I compiled against a second source before starting this thread, and only uncovered the omission when I finally did do that last night. Better late than never though I guess. The song is by Tony Brent and is called Got You On My Mind.

And having put that right we magically fast forward over a year to where we were before, in time to find our second song for today. This one was a US number one, but here it managed only one week at #8 on 8th May 1954. It's by Jo Stafford and is rather candidly for the 50s entitled Make Love To Me.

Finally today we have the UK chart debut of one of music's great legends, Frank Sinatra. This particular song had one week at #12 on 10th July 1954 here, but in the US it hit number two and was a million seller there. Indeed this song was such a hit there that a movie already in production, featuring Frank Sinatra and Doris Day, was renamed to match this song so that they could use it on the opening and closing credits. The song is Young At Heart.

+Quote this post
Jester
post Nov 4 2019, 08:06 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12
QUOTE(DanChartFan @ Nov 3 2019, 08:14 PM) *
Are you a fan of the Fast Show? It features fairly prominently in one of their sketches, so that could be what you're thinking of.

The val de ree (ha ha ha ha) part was used as the title of a Victoria Wood sketch.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 4 2019, 08:21 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
That Frank Sinatra song sounds really timeless heart.gif although I think I prefer The Bluebells' #1 hit of the same name kink.gif (not heard the original of that oops)

"and if you should survive to 105, look at all you'll derive out of being alive" though, what an exhausting lyric laugh.gif

+Quote this post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:17 PM