BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Have you self-recycled before?, Would you consider it in the future?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post 30th October 2023, 05:31 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Whilst we wait for the results, an itching question occurred to me that perhaps applies to more participants than I once anticipated, and that is the idea of choosing an artist on more than one occasion to represent your nation in the contest. As we have seen from the 2023 Eurovision winner this year, Loreen has proven that it can be a good idea to go with a proven formula rather than taking a risk with an unknown name. So what’s your verdict? Have you self-recycled before and would you do it again in the future? Is it a last resort when you can’t find anything else or would others consider it to be a cheap decision to make?

Thoughts on a postcard whilst we wait for semi results x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Harve
post 30th October 2023, 05:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

I try to avoid it but I've self-recycled four times before: Animal Collective, Air France, Korallreven and Teengirl Fantasy. I can definitely justify the latter because the two tracks I entered are very different, the others are because I loved them at the time.

To be fair I've been doing this for basically 15 years and the lineup of participants has changed a lot in that time so they might feel different to others. I doubt anyone notices or cares too much if there is a long enough gap.

This post has been edited by Harve: 30th October 2023, 05:50 PM

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 30th October 2023, 05:48 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

I'll also avoid self-recycling unless that artist(s) flopped hard previously

+Quote this post
Cow P
post 30th October 2023, 05:55 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Cowcow no Frieren
User: 127,479

I recycled D-Block & S-te-Fan last year, but with a different subgenre. Not sure if I'd like to self-recycle another one because I got plenty of artists yet to be sent.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 30th October 2023, 06:00 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I've never sent an artist to the main contest more than once before but did win a spin-off with SOLDOUT and then DNQed with them in the main contest tearsmile.gif that was within my first year of competing. I don't think I would ever repeat the same artist in the main contest as it's more satisfying for me to potentially introduce people to a new artist each time

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 30th October 2023, 06:13 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

I’ve self recycled twice in the main contest, Perfume and Twenty One Pilots (my anniversary artist).

I’ve also recycled Tempura Kidz when including spin-offs!

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 30th October 2023, 06:24 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

PLENTY laugh.gif Leww laughed at me for doing it last contest, cos I've done it several times THIS YEAR.

Smith & Thell - Kill It With Love (26th) / Illusion (8th) / Goliath (1st)
Dani Sylvia - She Swam Higher (2nd) / Youth (15th)
Peking Duk - High (3rd) / Chemicals (10th)
SVEA - Good At Losing (12th) / Dead Man Walking (3rd)
Elin Lanto - Discotheque (4th) / Toy Boy (23rd)
Dotter - Backfire (7th) / No Room For Love (3rd)
COBRAH - WET (23rd) / Dip N Drip (9th)

There might be more? But I don't think so. Smith & Thell clearly the most successful, getting better each time!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 30th October 2023, 06:33 PM
Post #8
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I generally don't from the main contest (I can't comment on others from the site ;D). I have done twice, We Are All Astronauts and Varien, the former didn't get me a good result and in retrospect, I don't feel I was necessary, but I do feel the latter was justified as A Pale White Horse was a completely different sound to Lilith and I wanted to right the injustice of that DNQing by clerical error.

I'd generally only do it if the sound is very different or enough time has passed that they could appeal to a new audience (Most of my recycles between song contests I can usually justify with those as well x).

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 30th October 2023, 06:34 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Kölsch springs immediately to mind for me. I don't think there has been any others of mine in the main contest but I could be wrong.

edit - just remembered Rex the Dog also

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 30th October 2023, 06:54 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Only a few times, and only one was a true straight recycle that wasn’t an anniversary entry. As a rule I try and avoid recycles of my own and other people’s artists if I can avoid it.

Mira Craig - Headhunted (DNQ) followed Maria and Mira - Mine All Mine (3rd) - this didn’t work out so well, oops!

Sheelah - The Last Time (1st) followed Sheelah - Psycho (1st) - I had a feeling they might win again as it sounded much bigger than Psycho which had already won laugh.gif of course these days it would be a clear veto as there wasn’t even a year between the two…

Delta Goodrem - Take Me Home (17th) followed Delta Goodrem - Believe Again (17th) and Hunters and the Wolves (2nd) - two of these were anniversary entries, which I figure is an exception

FIZZ - High In Brighton (35th) followed Pomplamoose feat dodie - Monster (DNQ) - I can’t help how much I love dodie, BuzzJack definitely does not though so I will rest her from now on but check out the FIZZ album for colourful pop and unexpected shades of Queen

+Quote this post
WoW73
post 30th October 2023, 06:59 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 93,211

I try not to - I have only done an artist recycle on here once (Babet; I think it was because my original entry was either already taken or vetoed?). I also try not to recycle an artist I've submitted into the PJSC contests, but have failed there a few times hehehe (Dolly Dots, Helene Fischer, Rondé)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 30th October 2023, 07:03 PM
Post #12
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I try to send entirely new artists to the site almost all of the time. I self-recycled BROCKHAMPTON for my 100th anniversary though, and I have sent Joe Goddard both as a solo artist and as a member of The 2 Bears. I also self-recycled one of my past Unknown Pleasures artists once (Yung Lean), and I sent James Blake to 2 different BJFestivalens.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 30th October 2023, 07:14 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Apart from my anniversary entries - that would be Pet Shop Boys - ive only done it once. Kishi Bashi, but i felt it was a pointless thing to do at the end of the day when theres so many options available. I will recycle others artists but generally by accident as i usually dont check oops! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 30th October 2023, 07:20 PM
Post #14
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

I think I might have the record for doing it the most times if Phil doesn’t LOL

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 30th October 2023, 07:28 PM
Post #15
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Only The Naked And Famous but that was for an anniversary entry so that was more of a special thing 🤷‍♂️ otherwise it's been spin-off to main contest (Sibewest) or genre contest to main (Sublab) or vice versa (Panteros666), those are the ones that come to mind but there might be more that I'm missing idk

+Quote this post
Silas
post 30th October 2023, 07:52 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Literally doing it this month. This is Molly Sandén‘s 4th BJSC main contest, and 4th for Rd’Á…

In total over 159 contests, I reckon it’s about 30 total, excluding the original time the artist was sent. I’ll have to sit and lay it all out.

I’d be surprised if anyone had more. I would have more but Altyr and Ramrynia are particularly fond of raiding the Rd’Á spare parts bin before I get a chance to do so myself

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 30th October 2023, 08:06 PM
Post #17
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA
User: 153,406

Not yet but I might semi-recycle one particular artist within the next few contests....

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 30th October 2023, 08:12 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

It's four times for me in the main contest with Anathema, Big Big Train, Archive and Marillion.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 30th October 2023, 08:34 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587

I have not personally recycled before. I don't see the point even if I thought I had a surefire formula for a hit, I would rather give some other artist the opportunity to have a go. That said, it could happen one day when I have entered another 50 artists, and I have no idea what artist will be my anniversary entrant yet, that should be an interesting one to decide eventually.

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 30th October 2023, 09:00 PM
Post #20
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

I have and definitely will again I'm sure, some artists just deserve to have more hype around them and it can come down to the song so why not try a few? I don't think there's any shame in it tbh I really want to send an artist I've sent twice already but I'm just not sure on the song, their newer stuff is so so good though

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 09:06 AM