BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> LAPTOPS, help
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Sep 14 2019, 11:42 AM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
I need a new laptop but not sure what to get!

Ideally, I like 15.6 inch laptops and want to be under £600 (so get your pesky expensive Macbooks outta here).

I only needed it for browsing/Microsoft Office but still not sure what to get as don't want to end up with slow laptop but then don't want to spend over and above for a fast laptop when I don't really need it to be super fast.

Any help appreciated.

This is the type I'm leaning towards ( https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/lap...193336-pdt.html ) but the one with Ryzen 5 is £150 more.

What laptops does everyone else have? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 14 2019, 01:16 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Poor Technology forum tongue.gif

I bought a laptop for approx £1000 in Hong Kong last year that I'm still using now. Lenovo Legion Y530. It's a gaming laptop (because I was too chicken to ship my desktop out to China, so that's still in the UK, I hope it's not getting too dusty, I've instructed Jacob to regularly maintenance it x). The laptop is: i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD. The RAM is possibly the only thing I'd increase on it, it's a little tough sometimes. Also the SSD drive fills up so fast and I've even moved most of my games off of it - windows updates are so big now.

SSDs are very important, they boot apps so much faster than regular mechanical drives, so that the one you've linked there having an SSD is good. You might run a little short on space but if you don't game or have big artistic software 256GB should tide you over okay, although do see above.

4GB is again, possibly fine if you don't play games, but browsers are huge memory hogs now so you might run into some issues, I sometimes do without even having anything like a game open. Looks to have a decent processor though, that's very good for that price, possibly at the expense of having maybe slightly below par storage & memory.

I'd actually say look for one that overpromises on the other two, as (someone correct me if I'm wrong), memory and storage are better for computers that don't run complicated processes like you want. You want to run a lot of browser tabs and stuff, you need RAM.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 14 2019, 01:22 PM
Post #3
Group icon
that said though processors are incredibly important to ensure you don't have a shitty laptop. One of my old laptops was a misorder that I never got around to fixing because I initially thought it was a kind of equal tradeoff, it was bigger and had some better other specs but it was an i3 rather than the i5 I ordered and at times that hurt.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 14 2019, 01:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
omg i forgot about the technology forum, I’ll move this in there! laugh.gif

QUOTE(Izzy @ Sep 14 2019, 02:16 PM) *
I'd actually say look for one that overpromises on the other two, as (someone correct me if I'm wrong), memory and storage are better for computers that don't run complicated processes like you want. You want to run a lot of browser tabs and stuff, you need RAM.

this is what I’m worrying about! As you say the one I’ve highlight is probably the minimum in terms of some form of decent speed/memory for what I want to do so I’m think it might be best to get the next one up. I just need to think whether the cost benefit is worth it

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 14 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I'd estimate how long you think this one might last for, and how much a part of your life it is/will be. I'm very often using mine so I spent some more than I might have expected to and I don't regret it. If you use it a lot you will be grateful for faster speeds - although with your requirements there's certainly such a thing as too high a spec.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 14 2019, 01:51 PM
Post #6
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
I'll probably be using it a lot for the next two years or so!

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Sep 14 2019, 05:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
I’m currently using a Lenovo Ideapad 320 and it’s really slow a year after purchase. I’ve always found that HP are the best when it comes to budget laptops!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Sep 14 2019, 05:19 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
QUOTE(Cqmerqn @ Sep 14 2019, 06:12 PM) *
I’m currently using a Lenovo Ideapad 320 and it’s really slow a year after purchase.

Same! On a bad day it can take me 20 minutes to load Buzzjack on Chrome mellow.gif I thought I'd done something wrong with it but oh dear if they're all just slow.

+Quote this post
m
post Sep 14 2019, 05:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
Also a Lenovo Ideapad 320 user here laugh.gif I mainly got it cos it wasn't too expensive for me at the time and had most of the things I wanted but I've only had it a year and already had to send it off to get fixed once last year. Was mostly fine after that but now half the screen is pink (I can see through it but still) and it freezes every few days, I can cope with it for now tho.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Sep 14 2019, 05:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I have a Macbook Pro! I got it for Christmas in 2013 so it's not a particularly new model. I absolutely love it! My current model suits me quite well for doing YouTube as it has a memory card slot (something that I think is gone on newer models?) and free iMovie software. Not cheap at all but worth the quality I think! Very speedy and a long battery life.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Sep 14 2019, 06:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
I really want a MacBook, I better get saving!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 14 2019, 11:55 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I do think that in general if you are able to afford the extra cost, having a computer with better specs is really worth it. It does make you so much more protective of it, but that does come with naturally taking better care of it. It's one of those things I'd spend extra money on. And if you do and it goes well it'll probably be longer until you upgrade it. Though of course the more you're spending, the more you should read reviews of your chosen model to ensure you're not getting a dud.

the ultimate move is building your own superfast desktop for a fraction of the price most of these laptops retail for but that you have to be willing to not have a mobile computer and knowledge/a friend who can help you put it together ph34r.gif main reason I didn't do that again is I'd risk wasting a lot of money on poorly made Chinese parts because of limited understanding of the language, my laptop hardly moves most of the time - though of course it's nice to be able to move it, thing about laptops is they shove a lot of machinery into a tiny space and that isn't always the most efficient way.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 15 2019, 09:38 AM
Post #13
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
I think I'm settling on this one: https://www.very.co.uk/hp-15s-fq0008na-inte...P_p42046855275_

Intel i5, 8GB ram, 512GB and looks a LOT sleaker than the one I linked in the OP (I don't get the random triangles for speakers!! who knows, it might be more effective for sound but looks horrible imo)

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 15 2019, 10:56 AM
Post #14
Group icon
That looks like a solid choice looking over the specs. Processor is almost what I’ve got, and looks great value!

+Quote this post
Silas
post Sep 17 2019, 09:31 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
You dropped a grand on a Lenovo Iz? Really? The true value of every piece of shit they’ve flung out into the market, combined, is only £8.79. You’ve been had mate.

I’m on my third Lenovo with work and some days I’d be better breaking out the Abacus to do my job. They are hands down the worst things I’ve ever had the misfortune to use. And I used Vista

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Sep 17 2019, 09:37 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
QUOTE(Klaus @ Sep 15 2019, 10:38 AM) *
I think I'm settling on this one: https://www.very.co.uk/hp-15s-fq0008na-inte...P_p42046855275_

Intel i5, 8GB ram, 512GB and looks a LOT sleaker than the one I linked in the OP (I don't get the random triangles for speakers!! who knows, it might be more effective for sound but looks horrible imo)

I've got a similar HP one (aesthetically and specs wise) and I looove it, haven't had any trouble with it at all in about a year and a half! It's so quick to boot up and do pretty much anything in my experience.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 17 2019, 10:49 AM
Post #17
Group icon
QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Sep 17 2019, 09:31 AM) *
You dropped a grand on a Lenovo Iz? Really? The true value of every piece of shit they’ve flung out into the market, combined, is only £8.79. You’ve been had mate.

I’m on my third Lenovo with work and some days I’d be better breaking out the Abacus to do my job. They are hands down the worst things I’ve ever had the misfortune to use. And I used Vista

It’s been doing well for me 10 months in, though I’ll let you know if it fails. Most pressing thing I’ve had with it is a overheating worry so I’m doing my best to keep it ventilated. And if I can manage to correctly order the right component and I’m able to unscrew it I’ll get some extra ram as I’m only using one memory slot right now.

(one little thing that probably added a fair bit to the price tag was buying it in Times Square, HK, which I thought acceptable to ensure I didn’t get something that’d be stuck in Chinese and potentially loaded with buggy spyware.

Though I do generally think gaming laptops (the name itself does add a bit to the price tag) are overpriced, I trust them to have more life in them than normal laptops. And basically out of the ones with that tag that were somewhat affordable it consistently looked the best.

I wouldn’t be risking a Lenovo cheap one either, I have heard bad things about those (Ideapads etc) perhaps slightly over the average complaint cheap laptops get.

+Quote this post
m
post Sep 22 2019, 11:42 AM
Post #18
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
QUOTE(Mattias @ Sep 14 2019, 06:26 PM) *
Also a Lenovo Ideapad 320 user here laugh.gif I mainly got it cos it wasn't too expensive for me at the time and had most of the things I wanted but I've only had it a year and already had to send it off to get fixed once last year. Was mostly fine after that but now half the screen is pink (I can see through it but still) and it freezes every few days, I can cope with it for now tho.

My sweetheart of a mother has given me her laptop (that I bought her for Christmas 2016) that she mostly didn't use (still feel kinda bad taking it tho), still part of the Lenovo gang but it's an Ideapad 110 this time. Seems to be working pretty well, I'm just glad to not have a distorted pink screen and a freezer anymore!

This one also has a built-in CD / DVD drive which my own Lenovo didn't.

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post Sep 28 2019, 08:07 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664
QUOTE(Izzy @ Sep 15 2019, 12:55 AM) *
the ultimate move is building your own superfast desktop for a fraction of the price most of these laptops retail for but that you have to be willing to not have a mobile computer and knowledge/a friend who can help you put it together

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif HMMMM ohmy.gif Who could this "friend" be? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Been upgrading loads of things recently on my desktop- built it in 2014 and in the past year/ 18 months or so I've increased the RAM from 8GB to 16GB, switched to a bigger case, added new hard disks (a nice 4TB storage and a 500GB SSD), upgraded power supply (new hard disks sometimes made it too much of a strain to run everything- started to crash a bit), upgraded graphics card from a GTX 760 to a GTX 1660Ti, got CPU liquid cooling and I upgraded my processor recently from an i5-4570 (3.2GHz) to an i7-4790K (4GHz). So I've basically replaced most of it, I've even removed my optical disk drive in favour of a USB DVD drive if I ever need CDs (rare) so the only remaining original parts are my 2 original hard disks (128GB SSD- system and 2TB storage) and my motherboard thinking about it. At least the OS/ everything on it has stayed. laugh.gif
It's almost like that boat riddle thing now- is it even the same PC? ohmy.gif

My new CPU is definitely faster but it runs much hotter even with liquid cooling- fine most of the time (30-50 degrees) when I'm doing anything but CPU intensive games (then it can start pushing 80 or more sometimes) but if I have to I occasionally increase the CPU fan speed (or technically, the fan for the liquid cooler) in the BIOS and that keeps it peaking at around 70 on full speed even in super intensive situations. Not something I like doing because it gets noisy and annoying but doesn't matter if I'm on headphones, just a pain to have to reboot to switch it. I have heard lots of things about this specific CPU running hot after research- at least it's supposed to have a pretty high tolerance which is good. Was pretty much the best in slot for my motherboard in terms of specs which is why I went for it - won it bidding 2nd hand from eBay. My i5 pretty much never got above 60 with the liquid cooler, tho with the old fan it ran hot too. New one's working really well anyway despite the issues so I'm happy.

If anyone ever wanted me to build a desktop for you I'd legit do it btw haha- just get teh parts to me. xx
Tbh I've got loads of parts spare because I haven't sold a lot of my old ones, got a CPU, graphics card, old case, old PSU just lying around and they're all pretty decent so I've been half tempted to buy more parts to complete a PC then sell the whole thing. It's just spending the money in the first place and it seems pointless if I don't have a buyer in mind- I don't really need a 2nd desktop PC myself.

As for actual laptops I've got my MacBook Pro (with touchbar wub.gif wub.gif ) which I adore, it's so so good for music related things and travelling- so very mobile. I went all out on it tbh when I got it 2 years back because you can't upgrade them anymore (thanks Apple x) so I got a 1TB SSD, 3.5GHz i7 processor and 16GB Ram- the only thing I didn't quite go for was the 15" screen. Would've been nice but was so much more for that little bit extra so stuck with the 13". But that's fine for my more mobile device- got the desktop for the bigger stuff (27" dual) and tbh it's nice to have a somewhat smaller but still big enough to work on effectively lil laptop. It has lasted so well over the past 2 years, showing no signs of slowing down. Kind of killed me to buy it in the first place, not going to lie MacBooks are amazing but definitely overpriced- went on a PayPal credit scheme and paid it off over 6 months but now it's all paid off and I've got it forever I can't say I regret it honestly.

I'm probably more into tech and nerdier than I thought having typed that all out. laugh.gif

Also Klaus, if you're just using that one for browsing, music, microsoft office etc- an i5 and 8GB of RAM and ALL SSD storage (such a good move x) should last you for quite a while- in fact it's pretty powerful for that kind of thing so should hopefully run smoothly- not a bad choice!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 29 2019, 09:22 AM
Post #20
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
I bought it and it’s working fab! Although the text can be blurry sometimes which seems to be a problem with some laptops and Windows 10 - not sure how to fix!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:32 AM